• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MK in doubles

Tomaster

Smash Journeyman
Im trying to pick up MK for doubles play so I thought I'd take this opportunity to make this thread to help others with the same goal.
For a lot of people who main bad teams characters MK can probably be one of the best secondaries to pick up.
Post videos, Discuss his dubs strategies, talk about his good complimentary characters, and whatever else you want to do.

Last edited:

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
MK has okay 1v2 potential, he is good with vertical kill characters like Fox and also pairs well with campy people like toon link or diddy.

Tomaster

Smash Journeyman
Does MK like playing support, lead, or just do his thang? I can see him being a good lead cuz he's quick and aggressive. But I can see him being a good support when teaming with someone like fox or lucas. He can help his teammate's recovery well with his up air and extra jumps, and he can reach his teammate quickly if he needs help. This is all theory, what do u think his role would be when teaming with different characters?

Last edited:

Phubs

Smash Cadet
Metaknight can stand back and do a full dimensional cape if your teammate is distracting the other players, if you want to play that way

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
He is better playing lead because of his speed and the space he can control so quickly. He can play support but he needs someone that can aid themselves like Fox.

Narelex

Smash Journeyman
Me and a Friend were playing around with a MK GnW duo. Really obnoxious, Throwing people into GnW Upsmashes and Hammers really hurts.

They are a bit on the squishy side but if you get a lead it's easy to maintain it.

Tomaster

Smash Journeyman
Me and a Friend were playing around with a MK GnW duo. Really obnoxious, Throwing people into GnW Upsmashes and Hammers really hurts.

They are a bit on the squishy side but if you get a lead it's easy to maintain it.
I can see this combination being amazing... MK can take the lead and 2v1 the opponents while G&W helps him with the bacon... And mk can easily help G&W recover with uair.

Kulprit

Smash Cadet
I absolutely love Meta Knight in doubles. He is definitely fit best for a carrying role, so the person who will be doing more of the work. His speed is great and his combos are fast (even at Doubles pace) so most of the time you can do combos without being disturbed. And if you so happen to get disturbed, he can flee easily from pressure and drop his combo voluntarily without worry. His edgeguards are amazing as many people will opt to land on stage if someone else is grabbing ledge already (most likely), so Dair, Bair, and Down-B cover these options (he can still cover the ledge pretty well if they do go to ledge). He is also very good at saving his teammates. Say my teammate is Fox and I'm onstage while he starts his Up-B. I can go under the animation of the Up-B and Up-Air Fox 1 to 2 times then tornado both of us back to safety onto stage. Soft Nair is also good for saving teammates. His 1v2 capability is out of this world, too. The sword can make sure each teammate is never together & always on opposite sides of MK/makes every encounter a 1v1 & not a 1v2. 2v1's are obviously amazing because teammate grab -> MK Down-B is very good. Just in general, his team combos are very good.

Overall, great neutral game (even though neutral isn't as prevalent in Doubles than it is in Singles), great combo game, can punish very well and hard (which makes him a good carry), amazing edgeguarding tools, can save teammates pretty easily and safely, can hold his own in 1v2's and does stupidly well in 2v1's.

I would say he's easily a Top 7 character in Doubles (off the top of my head & without making a solid list) and does very well against the majority of the cast.

EDIT: Just changed the wording slightly in my paragraphs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom