• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MK got pwned:(

Tristan Fattest of All Kids

Smash Journeyman
I've started to main MK, and I can't seem to win online a lot with him. It's not that I suck, but there are a few things the specifically hinder MK from doing his best particularly online.

I just seem to win a lot more with worse characters online (aka Pit) not because they are simply better, but because they do not require a high amount of speed. Olimar is another one; I can go around waving around my C-stick and win easily.
In real life, my MK (and probably yours too) is a lot better, and I own with him.

Reasons why MK is bad online:

1) When an opponent is above you over the edge (you are both in the air, your opponent is higher in the air though[see my sketch]), and is recovering to the stage, you want to jump turn around and up-b him. This doesn't work online because the button lags too much and instead you up-b to your death(fall off the stage.)

> A Toon Link or something

< MK
______Standing_____

2) When you want to harass the opponent you run to him, short hop, fair, and DI backwards so he can't strike back. Online, the lag will stop you from either short hopping or DIing backwards.

3) When you are recovering, you up-b, glide to your opponent, and strike. If you strike correctly (close enough to the ground), then you should be able to follow-up into a down-smash. Online, the lag will stop you from following up with the down-smash, and you will be left open to be punished. An example would be a Lucas' Forward Smash would be fast enough to occupy the lag, and yourself be annihilated. It would cost you the match. The forward smash momentum is

< MK gliding downwards

__Standing_________>__

4) Basically, MK's spacing is thrown off online. If you play MK, you might be one of those people used to the speed of Melee, such as myself, so Online lag will lose you matches, and may put you lower ranked than you should be.

Any comments? Any ways to beat this?

ckm

Smash Journeyman
I agree, 100%. I spend alot of time working on SH Fair and SH Dair, and these things are useless in online battles. I dont seem to have as much trouble with the upB, but I am always shocked at how much worse I am via wifi than when playing in person. I dont know what can really be done, though.... other than just playing in person and stop using wifi....

Jester Kirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JesterKirby
I have noticed that playing as MK yileds a few mroe losses than most. He reqires too much precision to fight in lag.

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
I dunno I dont seem to have too much trouble playing in lag, though I do agree some characters have a harder time than other in laggy matches

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
*EDIT* ok wtf? I tried posting the first one and it said "you have to wait 30 seconds before posting again" so I waited then posted again and it double posted the same message...

lol so please just ignore this post sorry about that :/

GiantKiller

Smash Cadet
I've noticed similar difficulties with MetaKnight online.

In my opinion and experience, it really helps to change your playstyle from how lots of metaknight players play in-person matches, and focus more on spacing and mindgames and using MK's priority, rather than constant, in-your-face pressure, which is where the input lag can really get you punished.

And a little punishment goes a long way when you're one of the lightest characters in the game.

Then again, other players have said they don't feel the need to change their playstyle at all online and do just fine with MK. To each his own!

-GK

ckm

Smash Journeyman
SH+ anything is tough to get right in uber lag though...

Vulcan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaberVulcan
Heh, I played a bunch of online matches yesterday vs my buddy using MK and Kirby, my MK seems to lag to the point where I am hitting the buttons so fast expecting them to be done instantly that he gets into a chain of 1 move quite often, it is quite annoying. Same happens to kirby but not as often, usually just a AAA combo when trying to tilt.

Kayzee

Smash Journeyman
All characters have trouble online. Meta Knight is better off than, say, Zelda or Lucas. In laggy online match, I calm down on the combos and start playing defensively until I learn how much lag is present. Then I continue to play defensively until my opponent makes a punishable mistake, then I go on the offense. I may or may not edgeguard depending on how much lag there is.

Top Bottom