• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Mirror of Truth or Palutena's Advice? Both available at all hours of the day

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Good stages to take players to.

Neutral Stages:

They are all good, but if I had to pick which one to take them too, it would be battlefield, due to the platforms and its easier to sweet spot the ledge with your up b.

Counter Pick:

-Delfino Plaza: You can shark under the stage, and you have more breathing room.

-Norfair: The blast zones are not very wide when your on the top left/right on the platforms. The ceiling blast zones are very close, so you can actually kill them with a uthrow (at 130% I think...)

-Halberd: Breathing room, blast zones are small in certain parts of the stages, such as ceilings. His up smash can really kill players earlier than usual you send them to the ceiling of the blast zones. The funny part of the stage is when the beam shoots out and Pit hides behind the beam, you can actually catch them off guard with an arrow when they don't see it coming!

-Skyloft: (See Delfino Plaza)

Bad stages to go to:

-Luigis Mansion: The poles get in the way with the arrows, and the blast zones are too wide.

-Kongo Jungle 64: Its harder to shark. Plus, its harder to pull off the dthrow to usmash because of the awkward slope and you might be out of reach when your trying to follow it up with a usmash.

-Lylat Cruise: It can be a double edged sword. On one hand, the blast zones from both sides are small, kind of. However, Pit has that same problem getting back on stage as the other Fire Emblem cast, where they up B and they wind up hitting under the stage, instead of grabbing the ledge. Also, its harder to follow up combos because of how wide the stage is and the slopes can get in the way at times when your firing off an arrow.

Omega Stages: (That I found to be helpful so far)

-Wu Hu Island
-Duck Hunt
-Skyloft
-Yoshis Wooly World:
-Norfair
-Coliseum

Generally when choosing a stage, pick stages that have small blast zones, due to Pits lack of ability to kill. Keep in mind that the smaller the blast zones, the easier it is for Pit gimp them with the arrows, or simply toss out a fair to push them back further.

Last edited:

Kibzu~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KirambazToKibz
3DS FC
4296-2971-4840
i would say FD because its flat, not allowing your opponent to get out of your combos. It also disallows room for arrow space imo. Another good stage SmashVille, Arrow creativity and some follow ups can work with that platform moving around.

Strider_123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0688-5583-7738
hey guys i got a question. im having trouble countering r.o.b.'s neutral air. my brother does it often with short hops and as soon as he hits the ground there is no lag and he goes straight into down tilts. i can't grab and i can't attack fast enough. the range of the burner is bigger then pits moves too :(. Sometimes i land a hit but its not reliable.

Claxus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Claxus
3DS FC
0146-8714-8870
ROB's neutral air is crazy... I hate it so much. It hits all around with huge range, and it's lingering so it can hit you even if you dodge/air dodge, and virtually no landing lag (not to mention how easy it autocancels for 0 landing lag). If he spaces it you can't counter him in any way.

The only advice I have is to just not play his game and stay defensive when he's in the air, and go on the offensive only whenever you feel like you can act first, because the one thing Pit has over ROB in the air is the speed of his attacks, while I believe only ROB's U-air has no startup.

It kinda sucks because ROB also has a projectile rivaling Pit's, and his gyros (ready to throw or already on the ground) are discomforting. And on the ground his U-throw can KO anywhere once your percent is high enough... I hate ROB. But ROB's recovery is also fairly gimpable, stage spike those suckers, or even meteor smashes are easier than usual to land.

Last edited:

CHOMPY

NNID
Chompy621
I also was in that same similar situation. Only I was going up against a Charizard that kept on auto canceling his nairs and I couldn't punish them for whatever reason. Like @ Claxus Claxus said, you just have to respect their nair and let them do their thing. By that, if they realize they aren't hitting you with their nairs, that will force them to use different moves.

Hope that helps!

Strider_123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0688-5583-7738
ROB's neutral air is crazy... I hate it so much. It hits all around with huge range, and it's lingering so it can hit you even if you dodge/air dodge, and virtually no landing lag (not to mention how easy it autocancels for 0 landing lag). If he spaces it you can't counter him in any way.

The only advice I have is to just not play his game and stay defensive when he's in the air, and go on the offensive only whenever you feel like you can act first, because the one thing Pit has over ROB in the air is the speed of his attacks, while I believe only ROB's U-air has no startup.

It kinda sucks because ROB also has a projectile rivaling Pit's, and his gyros (ready to throw or already on the ground) are discomforting. And on the ground his U-throw can KO anywhere once your percent is high enough... I hate ROB. But ROB's recovery is also fairly gimpable, stage spike those suckers, or even meteor smashes are easier than usual to land.
yes i hate the r.o.b. VS pit matchup. my brother acts like hes sooo hard to use. he refuses to believe that move is hard to punish. i can't punish because he goes straight into down tilt or blocks. i can't use the upper dash arm because that move cancels it. i feel i can't do anything. i shoot arrows he throws the gyro or laser. i get close and he does that at just a safe distance so i can't counter. i can't block forever.

SirPulse

Smash Cadet
NNID
SirPulse
3DS FC
0490-6309-5461
not sure if this is common knowledge or not, but i dark pit cannot fastfall through platforms after his second jump. makes it really annoying to fight on BF. am i missing something? is it a bug or something?

Last edited:

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Just wondering, how do you sweetspot ledges with pit's up-B?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
not sure if this is common knowledge or not, but i dark pit cannot fastfall through platforms after his second jump. makes it really annoying to fight on BF. am i missing something? is it a bug or something?
You can, but the timing can be a little tricky since the jump is so floaty.
Aim low on the ledge and you'll slide up the side of the stage and grab it. There's tons of room for error on most stages.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Really need help getting the KO with dark pit. It's easy for me to rack up damage but this is where I always fail. Read some of the moves on page 1 but any advice on positioning, etc.?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Really need help getting the KO with dark pit. It's easy for me to rack up damage but this is where I always fail. Read some of the moves on page 1 but any advice on positioning, etc.?
That's a toughie... I'd start by practicing your Dsmash and Bair. Dsmash really only KOs with the back hit, but it launches at a very shallow angle. Either the opponent will fail to recover if they have a bad one, or you'll line 'em up for an easy gimp. Obviously requires a good read, but very satisfying to land. Bair is fast and powerful, and appropriately tricky to hit with.

Sykofantia

Smash Rookie
depends on the stage most of the time you can hold to the right/left and sweep spot but i would practice recovering on stages you seem to miss the sweet spot because there's no better way than practice(but most of the time holding to the right/left works)

Sykofantia

Smash Rookie
in all honestly practice gimps more than anything ruining someones recovery is what he seems to be good at(just be careful with character that have hitbox recoveries)
obviously fsmash can kill but it's a little awkward in my experience. usmash is okay if you are good with catching people who fall but don't throw it out mindlessly(obviously) the back of dsmash is an option but it seems kind of predictable to me being he hits the front first and only the back kills reliably. fthrow on the edge at around 130%+ depending on the weight so it's depends on the match up
bair is a good option but if the opponent knows the match up they will see it coming a mile away so use it sparringly
fair offstage is like my #1 kill move (#2 is sweep spot bare, after that is fthrow then the smashes are pretty situational in my experience) if you're good with arrows you can gimp off screen(takes practice) thats the only way i feel like I can kill someone like lucario earlier than 130-150%
side b is mostly a punish but if you don't use it it's a nice surprise if you can use it at the right time it will kill i mainly use it for recovery/trade but when i've really needed it it hasn't failed me repeatedly(just use it sparingly)

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Since I got SSB4 I have never actually played a ROB, not even once :s
Just some questions im curious about...
Can you shield grab his Nair like you can with pit?
Can Pit's Fair outrange his Nair
What do you mean by it cancels upperdash arm (@ Strider_123 Strider_123 )
Do lasers go through arrows or cancel each other out?
What moves do ROB outrange you in?

CHOMPY

NNID
Chompy621
Since I got SSB4 I have never actually played a ROB, not even once :s
Just some questions im curious about...
Can you shield grab his Nair like you can with pit?
Can Pit's Fair outrange his Nair
What do you mean by it cancels upperdash arm (@ Strider_123 Strider_123 )
Do lasers go through arrows or cancel each other out?
What moves do ROB outrange you in?
Q. Can you shield grab his Nair like you can with Pit?

A. No because the aerial autocancels, therefore the opponent can easily avoid the grab by cancelling it to moves like dtlt, jab, or simply roll away. The best move to use out of your shield is to jab them. Now if that don't work, just respect their nair and hit them with a fair instead. The uair can work against Robs nair on startup before the explosive flames come out.

Q. Can Pits Fair outrange his Nair?

A. I believe Pit's fair comes out first. However, once the explosion comes out, it will be harder for Pit to hit Rob through his explosive flames, if the two moves were to clash together. Pit's fair has more range than Rob because your using an aerial that strikes forward, while Robs nair only covers so much range horizontally.

Q. What do you mean by it cancels upperdash arm?

A. What she meant by that is Pit has super armor. Nair will still hit Pit, but it won't flinch Pit in any way shape or form. In other words, it doesn't cancel the move, but you can still hit Rob for free with the upperdash arm when he's performing the nair.

Q. Do lasers go through arrows or cancel each other out?

A. They don't. The arrows will still go through the lasers. Any projectiles that hits through their shield are moves that don't cancel Pits arrows. For example, Robins Thoron is a move that goes through the shield and the arrow will go through Thoron. Even though Fox and Falcos lasers stop traveling after it hits the player, Pit's arrows will go through the lasers.

Q. What moves do Robs moves outrange you in?

A. A lot of it has to depend on the situation your in. We would need a hit box frame data to be able to determine that. As far as I know by instinct, Robs fair and dtilt come out really fast. Pit's fsmash has more range over Robs fsmash. Rob nair, uair, dsmash, dair, dtilt, and bair are the moves that seem to outrange Pits moves.

Strider_123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0688-5583-7738
everything chompy said is right but one unless i understood it wrong. "Q. What do you mean by it cancels upperdash arm?"
what i meant by that is if i use the upperdash arm while he is using that move i get hurt (meaning it goes through the super armor) and he doesn't. also @ ReRaze ReRaze if you want to vs my brother you can..let me warn you though hes very good with r.o.b. , also he only has the 3ds version of the game

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
everything chompy said is right but one unless i understood it wrong. "Q. What do you mean by it cancels upperdash arm?"
what i meant by that is if i use the upperdash arm while he is using that move i get hurt (meaning it goes through the super armor) and he doesn't. also @ ReRaze ReRaze if you want to vs my brother you can..let me warn you though hes very good with r.o.b. , also he only has the 3ds version of the game
@ CHOMPY CHOMPY and @ Strider_123 Strider_123 thanks alot for the replies (btw Lol i only have the 3ds version too xP)

Last edited:

DD_

Smash Journeyman
What's the best way to play pit? Aggressive or Defensive? GO!
In neutral you wanna play the patient spacing game or look for a grab, so mostly defensive. I feel playing Pit in smash 4 like Jiggs in melee works well as you can space his pressure tools like fair, nair and ftilt to just pressure your opponent into pressing a button. Once they are off the stage tho go HAM. Pit has a great offstage game with all aerials having a use you can utilitse them in

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Anyone care to explain this? I know Rage was in affect cuz I was at 100% and Lucario is a pretty light character but still....73%?!? He wasn't even charging a smash attack. Also I don't think this was a case of bad DI (also what does the red lightning signify? I always thought if they died without the red lightning (in a situation like this) it was a case of bad DI).

Btw What's the earliest an Upperdash can KO someone (lets say a middlewight) with rage + freshness?

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Anyone care to explain this? I know Rage was in affect cuz I was at 100% and Lucario is a pretty light character but still....73%?!? He wasn't even charging a smash attack. Also I don't think this was a case of bad DI (also what does the red lightning signify? I always thought if they died without the red lightning (in a situation like this) it was a case of bad DI).

Btw What's the earliest an Upperdash can KO someone (lets say a middlewight) with rage + freshness?
I'll experiment a little later... But for now, I'd guess he tried to do a smash attack right as you hit him. Fiddle with the camera and see what you can find.

ChaoticRoy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Roythunder
3DS FC
4356-1809-4292
What's the best way to play pit? Aggressive or Defensive? GO!
TBH, both at the same time. Pit is really versatile in that aspect because he can switch between offense or defense in a second and he relies on doing that a lot to get things going. At the beginning of the match is preferably to go a little bit defensive, Like spacing with aerials and just moving out of their safe zone, to know what your opponent is up to but once you understand your opponent you can be pretty aggressive. In general, the best way to play him is pretty much switching between both styles when it's appropriate or to put it simple, playing smart, Pit will really reward your for that.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
@ Strider_123 Strider_123 Best of luck! I just finished my exams so I got heaps of time now.
@ LancerStaff LancerStaff I checked with the camera multiple times and it didnt show any signs of him doing a smash attack not even that little twinkle that appears.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Whoops, forgot about your Upperdash thing. All my friends kept asking for help with the pivot thing, and I didn't get the time.

Speaking of which, I feel it's usefulness is really overated, or at least for Pit and his swords. I mean, precision spacing like what the video shows largely isn't necessary with Pit's range. And I'm pretty sure it's existed like this since Brawl and who knows if it'll get patched... I'll be figuring it out anyway though.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Whoops, forgot about your Upperdash thing. All my friends kept asking for help with the pivot thing, and I didn't get the time.

Speaking of which, I feel it's usefulness is really overated, or at least for Pit and his swords. I mean, precision spacing like what the video shows largely isn't necessary with Pit's range. And I'm pretty sure it's existed like this since Brawl and who knows if it'll get patched... I'll be figuring it out anyway though.
Wait are you talking about the 'pivot thing' (Whats the pivot thing and the video btw) or are you talkin about upperdash :p

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Wait are you talking about the 'pivot thing' (Whats the pivot thing and the video btw) or are you talkin about upperdash :p
The perfect pivot thing. First article on the front page I believe. Video tutorial and everything.

Like I said, it's nowhere near as gamechanging as the whole "second coming of wavedashing" title implies.

DD_

Smash Journeyman
The main thing that i'm really enjoying the perfect pivoting for is spacing tippered f-tilts. It's not wavedasing sure but it gives pit another up close option now as people standing next to you have to watch what they throw out or we can get a nice tipper off of it.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
image.jpg
Did anyone ever notice pit's upperdash arm glowing alot more than normal occasionally?

Last edited:

Zephlin

Smash Rookie
So my question is specifically around the super armor of the side B or rather super armor in general. What all does it take to beat it out? Is it like the armor of other fighters where you can armor 1 hit but rapid fire moves beat it out? (in which case pit's air moves hard counter Yoshi's double jump) Or is it more based on the damage dealt by the challenging move?

So basically i'm wondering if pit's rapid air hits trump yoshi's double jump and if Yoshi's flutter kick can trump the upperdash arm :p

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
So my question is specifically around the super armor of the side B or rather super armor in general. What all does it take to beat it out? Is it like the armor of other fighters where you can armor 1 hit but rapid fire moves beat it out? (in which case pit's air moves hard counter Yoshi's double jump) Or is it more based on the damage dealt by the challenging move?

So basically i'm wondering if pit's rapid air hits trump yoshi's double jump and if Yoshi's flutter kick can trump the upperdash arm :p
Super armor typically can take multiple hits, but with Pit he usually punches between hits and that ends the SA. SA can be broken when the user is at a high enough % and hit with a powerful enough attack. I really don't know how Yoshi's SA works though, but I assume it's the standard type.

Icemanx5746

Smash Apprentice
Is there a Pit/Dark Pit skype group? I've decided to pick him up as a second main, but I'm hardly on Smashboards.

ZobmieRules

Smash Cadet
I'm having trouble killing with Dark Pit (no surprise though, right?). I can land hits well, but my opponents will consistently live up to 170-190%. What am I doing wrong? Any tips? Am I just using too many weak, safe moves? I'll smash and Electroshock, FAir, etc, they come back every time. Is this merely the curse of playing Dark Pit? >_<

Last edited:

Ranias

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ranias
3DS FC
1864-9368-1757
I don't main Dark Pit, but I think Bair (sweetspotted at the tip) is another good KO move.

Also if you are hitting too often with your KO moves, they will get diminishing returns on their damage and knockback due to stale move negation.

Jtails has some videos that might help you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_74ltWIcGRk

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
You probably need to practice edgeguarding more, or you're not using more obscure KO moves like his Bair or Dsmash.

BTW, Dsmash's first hit is fairly weak in knockback, but fast, so it's useful for closing out a stock when you're otherwise struggling. The second hit is slow but has extremely horizontal KB, meaning an easy gimp afterwards. Both have a sweetspot on the base of the blade.

ZobmieRules

Smash Cadet
-but I think Bair (sweetspotted at the tip) is another good KO move.

Also if you are hitting too often with your KO moves, they will get diminishing returns on their damage and knockback due to stale move negation.
I mained Pit in Brawl, so I'm very used to the back air (and having trouble killing in general). But, now that I think about it... I remember feeling that his bair was nerfed when they gave him more kill potential. Maybe I just thought that way because I wasn't used to SSB4 yet... hmm, I'll check that out, thanks.

And yeah, I forgot about stale moves completely! That's gotta be (some of) the problem right there! Thanks again!

You probably need to practice edgeguarding more, or you're not using more obscure KO moves like his Bair or Dsmash.
That's a very good point. I'm much more hesitant to edgeguard people now. In Brawl, it was very easy with Pit, but I suppose I'm just not comfortable with the gravity in this installment yet, hence my hesitation. (I wish I could actually try to use the Electroshock, but that's out of the question. Thanks for making it SD, Sakurai.)

And, I know it's another option, but 9 times out of 10, I'd rather just FSmash than DSmash. I know it's another option, and I do use it, but FSmash has better range, speed, and damage. Maybe an element of surprise would help more, I'm not sure. I'll look into it, thanks for the recommendation.

Last edited:

Ethan Wolfe

Smash Rookie
Hey guys I've actually just purchased Smash 4 for 3DS and I would like to continue to play competitively as I did in PM...in Smash 4 I have chosen to Main Dark Pit! I have questions on any Advanced Tactics that are specific to Dark Pit. Thank You! (:

Top Bottom