• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Yeah, I'm all for tier lists and general analysis of character performance, but honestly "maining" a character not because of the character but because they're good seems so fake.
That's why I call em sellouts, just like most of the MK mains use him only because he's good, same with Melee Foxes/Sheiks, and now this game's Greninja/Sheik, with a side of Mac, but the last one is generally the For Glory ppl anyways.
I did mostly give up on Bowser though because of him being too high, but I can't give up on Pit or Palutena, never ever as they're part of my heart.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
See, if the person is actually a big fan of the character, it's definitely not a problem. Like if Gimpyfish mained new Bowser (which I'm sure he is) or if M2K using Mewtwo in PM.

I used both Diddy and Olimar in Brawl because I was super hype about their inclusion, them being top tier was just a thing that happened later, and I used em anyway.

It's mostly stuff like M2K maining MK, Zero switching mains to whoever's good, etc. kinda stuff that bothers me.

We know top players can do well with most characters, considering how Reflex played PT in Brawl.

Last edited:

Sudai

Stuff here
In a competitive environment, if you want to win, you do everything you can to win. That includes being a tier *****. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being a tier *****, they're just playing the game for a different reason than you. You play to win with your favorite character, they just play to win.

I don't see the selling out anywhere.

Hong

The Strongest
There's also play style preference.

I don't choose mains based on who I like in their source material. I pick mains based on play style. The new Smash Bros could be Dragon King 4 for all I care, and I would still be playing it. The most important thing, for me, is to have fun, and winning for me is not always the most fun. This last statement will vary drastically for people.

That established, the character I have the most fun with are not always characters I like. Inversely, some characters I love in their own source material are not fun to play as because of how they were implemented. Some characters, like Ike, are such a disgrace to their source material that it is because I love him that I don't want anything to do with him in Smash unless he turns out to be a lot of fun. Sadly, only PM has vaguely done him justice.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
"You don't choose your main, your main chooses you." - Me, as quoted by @Syrek

It depends on the game, of course, but I find that I just end up liking whatever characters I like because I end up liking them. Tautology is as tautology does, but that's how it works for me.

Skullgirls? Oh wow, that ninja nurse looks pretty cool, I like her fighting style, I'll give her a go!

BlazBlue? Oh hey there's a cute kitty cat! Oh man I don't know if I like this fighting style, maybe I'll try somebody else...and somebody else...yeah okay fine I'm gonna go back to playing the cute kitty cat.

Tekken? Oh that explrorer guy looks cool. I guess I'll play this game and see what he's...wait, he's a she? Oh my god this is my favourite character ever.

Dead or Alive? Oh god I love this gothic lolita I'm gonna play as her yeeeeah frills are the best~

Street Fighter? Despite trying other characters, it always come back to Sakura.

Smash? Pit and Palutena. I love the source material, I love the characters, I love their personalities, I love their fighting styles. I don't even play ranged / defensive fighters at all, but I made an exception for Ladypal and learn to get good as her because I feel like I owe her that much at the least.

tl;dr - Don't look too much into why you or other people play their respective characters. Just play the game and enjoy playing whom you want to play.

Utena

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yurigod
Yeah, I'm all for tier lists and general analysis of character performance, but honestly "maining" a character not because of the character but because they're good seems so fake.
i try to play characters that i like, but its more important for me to enjoy a characters playstyle. id rather have fun using a character than represent them only because theyre my fave. Generally, characters that are fun to play as have better tools, and end up being higher on the tier list. Usually my fave character ends up being a secondary.

I don't think its fake at all to intentionally main a high tier character, there's nothing wrong with wanting to win.

I can play as plenty of characters in Brawl, and I really enjoy playing as Peach and Sheik, but if I'm playing against someone who is really good or who I need a better matchup against, you know I'm going Marth or Falco.

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Well, I saw a Japanese Palutena in For Glory, and we had a marathon of runs for about 40 mins. Despite losing the majority, I had fun knowing there's many others out there repping the Goddess of Light.
I wished I coulda saved more replays, but the game wouldn't let me. Shame I don't know JP letters, but was able to gather one replay. It sucks because I wanted to save em all, even my embarrassing ones. :(

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I never said you couldn't play a character because its playstyle fits you even if you don't follow or enjoy the source material.

Hell, I mained Doc in Melee, but don't really like his series at all.

I also FULLY understand the concept of "play to win". I'd have to be an idiot not to. It just irks me on some level and makes it seem so ****ing fake to pick a character only because they're at the top of the top. Is that ****ing OK?

Anyway, since I haven't really been following her boards much, being busy with Shulk and Robin, how's our fair Goddess looking so far? Frankly she's alot different than I imagined she'd feel and I'm having a hard time with her.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Anyway, since I haven't really been following her boards much, being busy with Shulk and Robin, how's our fair Goddess looking so far? Frankly she's alot different than I imagined she'd feel and I'm having a hard time with her.
Strange, to say the least, but immensely rewarding if you can get to grips with her. The learning curve really pays off if you're willing to invest your time into figuring out how to play her well.

What difficulties are you having in particular? Maybe we can help!

Sudai

Stuff here
I also FULLY understand the concept of "play to win". I'd have to be an idiot not to. It just irks me on some level and makes it seem so ****ing fake to pick a character only because they're at the top of the top. Is that ****ing OK?
That's fairly irrational imo. I mean, go for it and all, but I don't understand why someone else doing something that doesn't effect you bothers you that much.

Last edited:

Benmjy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Benmjy
3DS FC
1203-9240-1897
Hi fellow Palutena players! I have been browsing this thread as a guest for about the last 30-40 pages and just now decided to sign up! Like you all I love Palutena and immediately fell in love with her in KI:U. When I saw she was in Smash I was stoked! I knew for certain I wanted to main her. However since the games release, I've been practicing and practicing with her default moveset and can not become good with her. I've been a super casual player up until now and this is the first game I'm taking seriously. I simply can not give up on her but I don't know what to do to utilize her to her full potential. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Oh! And btw, kmpyj, I've watched everyone one of your Palutena videos! Absolutely amazing! I wish I could play her like that!

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Welcome to the Palutena party.
I still say we need someone that can record, and have a Palutena party. It would be nice that she's getting more love and attention.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Hi fellow Palutena players! I have been browsing this thread as a guest for about the last 30-40 pages and just now decided to sign up! Like you all I love Palutena and immediately fell in love with her in KI:U. When I saw she was in Smash I was stoked! I knew for certain I wanted to main her. However since the games release, I've been practicing and practicing with her default moveset and can not become good with her. I've been a super casual player up until now and this is the first game I'm taking seriously. I simply can not give up on her but I don't know what to do to utilize her to her full potential. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Oh! And btw, kmpyj, I've watched everyone one of your Palutena videos! Absolutely amazing! I wish I could play her like that!
Welcome friend! Always a pleasure to have more people aboard! And thanks about the vids. Trust me when I say this, Palutena is not easy, but I'm sure in do time we can all master her! She has so much potential that many players overlook. Her forward air is just.......amazing, and just back air is powerful. It actually has a shield frame! Same thing with her dash attack. Can't wait to see what kind of Palutena player you will become.

As for @ Admiral Pit Admiral Pit , I had no idea you were that good with Pit. I mean I thought I was good, but dang. Nice spacing with the bows, and utilizing that glide mechanic. (Brawl)

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
As for @ Admiral Pit Admiral Pit , I had no idea you were that good with Pit. I mean I thought I was good, but dang. Nice spacing with the bows, and utilizing that glide mechanic. (Brawl)
The Brawl Pit? Well it's interesting considering how I've been wifi only in my 6-year Brawl career. Sadly elitists and such bash me for my temper and mindset against top tiers... and the sole reason that I'm a "wifi player", even though I can never go offline at all anyways for personal reasons.
I hope I can may Pit work again despite him being so weird to me, and definitely Palutena. <3

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
The Brawl Pit? Well it's interesting considering how I've been wifi only in my 6-year Brawl career. Sadly elitists and such bash me for my temper and mindset against top tiers... and the sole reason that I'm a "wifi player", even though I can never go offline at all anyways for personal reasons.
I hope I can may Pit work again despite him being so weird to me, and definitely Palutena. <3
I took a huge liking to Pit's neutral air in Smash 4. It's pretty decent when doing short hops. His back air is nice too, along with his up tilt.

AozoraX

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone have any tips for fighting Ness? Ness has so much potential and I think 10x way better game than Palutena does - is there any way to go about not getting rekt so hard? Fair auto cancels, and it beats out Palutena by a long shot.

Ness's psychic powers are too powerful for a goddess :(

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I took a huge liking to Pit's neutral air in Smash 4. It's pretty decent when doing short hops. His back air is nice too, along with his up tilt.
Its improved range and looks are great. I missed Pit's lingering hitbox on his B-air though. Up-tilt looks sexy though with them kicks.
But we could Palutena ditto sometime for the vids, right? I feel like I'm looking terrible due to the bullies I was talking about earlier.

And I agree that Ness is evil, even if I didn't fight him much. I hate too many things, but I wish I could stop doing that. D:

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Does anyone have any tips for fighting Ness? Ness has so much potential and I think 10x way better game than Palutena does - is there any way to go about not getting rekt so hard? Fair auto cancels, and it beats out Palutena by a long shot.

Ness's psychic powers are too powerful for a goddess :(
OMG, thank you!! You just reminded me of something I wanted to test out. Ness's neutral B can be reflected with Palutena's reflect shield. It will instantly make that move yours. As for tips on how to defeat him, try using Palutena's down air whenever Ness's tries to recover.

Its improved range and looks are great. I missed Pit's lingering hitbox on his B-air though. Up-tilt looks sexy though with them kicks.
But we could Palutena ditto sometime for the vids, right? I feel like I'm looking terrible due to the bullies I was talking about earlier.

And I agree that Ness is evil, even if I didn't fight him much. I hate too many things, but I wish I could stop doing that. D:
Well, you are just starting off with Palutena. To be honest, I was a total noob with her when I first played as her. It will just take some time. Eventually, you will hit the Holy Grail.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
OMG, thank you!! You just reminded me of something I wanted to test out. Ness's neutral B can be reflected with Palutena's reflect shield. It will instantly make that move yours. As for tips on how to defeat him, try using Palutena's down air whenever Ness's tries to recover.

Well, you are just starting off with Palutena. To be honest, I was a total noob with her when I first played as her. It will just take some time. Eventually, you will hit the Holy Grail.
Anything to make her look great, and show everyone that she's a good character with good enough dedication.

Benmjy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Benmjy
3DS FC
1203-9240-1897
Welcome friend! Always a pleasure to have more people aboard! And thanks about the vids. Trust me when I say this, Palutena is not easy, but I'm sure in do time we can all master her! She has so much potential that many players overlook. Her forward air is just.......amazing, and just back air is powerful. It actually has a shield frame! Same thing with her dash attack. Can't wait to see what kind of Palutena player you will become.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I was wondering if you could give me some tips? Level 9 CPUs are able to wreck me so easily, when usually I'm pretty ok with them. I seem to always use her moves at the wrong time and the lag after each moves usually means me getting punished. I can't grab for my life or land barely any aerials. I'm not sure what I should change so I can improve with her!

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Thanks for the warm welcome! I was wondering if you could give me some tips? Level 9 CPUs are able to wreck me so easily, when usually I'm pretty ok with them. I seem to always use her moves at the wrong time and the lag after each moves usually means me getting punished. I can't grab for my life or land barely any aerials. I'm not sure what I should change so I can improve with her!
Personally for me, I love using short hops into aerials. I think that is one of her strong suits. Try lightly tapping the jump button, and perform a forward air. It's very quick. Once you do that, you can follow up with her dash attack, or if your fast enough, can follow up with another forward air. That is one of my main start ups with Palutena (forward air.)

I want you to try this for me. Try practicing with her short hops to aerials (referring more to her forward air, and back air.) Keep repeating it over and over until you got "a good rhythm going." (Shulk reference)

You know what, think instead of me typing all of Palutena's goodness, I think I will make a combo video. I have done them before. I was waiting to the end of 2014 (the year of fighters) to make a "2014 complication video", but I think I can spare some follow ups for a Palutena combo video. Hopefully it could help make a clear picture.

In the mean time, any Kid Icarus song request that I could use for the video would be nice.

Last edited:

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
I got 5th/27 at my local event w/ Palutena. I didn't realize custom moves would be on, so I didn't practice w/ them. I ended up going 5-0 in Swiss, but I ended up getting 3-0'd by Neos(Rosalina) & Player-1(Diddy) in bracket. Both of those matches are really challenging w/her default moves. Any ideas on what customs would help in those match ups or how to play them in general? Rosalina/Diddy have such good stage control potential.

Last edited:

Benmjy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Benmjy
3DS FC
1203-9240-1897
Is it just me or is the jump from LVL 8 CPUs to LVL 9 CPUs pretty big. I've been practicing my aerials on LVL 8's and I'm doing pretty well but as soon as I jump to LVL 9's I get destroyed.

Hong

The Strongest
Is it just me or is the jump from LVL 8 CPUs to LVL 9 CPUs pretty big. I've been practicing my aerials on LVL 8's and I'm doing pretty well but as soon as I jump to LVL 9's I get destroyed.
If it makes you feel any better, the reaction speed of level 9s at times can be by the millisecond, and beyond human neural capacity. To beat level 9s, it's good if you are able to identify how the AI responds the way it does, and manipulate it.

It's also kind of toxic, at some point, since the way you manipulate AI and the way you manipulate humans is very different. Thus, in Smash Bros, I avoid playing the AI too much as not to learn bad habits.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

Welcome to the temple, fellow servant of our fair goddess! Good to have you joining us!

In terms of getting good with our dear Lady Palutena, my advice is the same advice as I give to everybody: play the game. Play constantly, play consistently, play as much as you like and play until you're satisfied with your abilities. And then play some more anyway and keep playing until you improve on and on again and again. You won't get better straight away and you'll undoubtedly lose a lot in the process, but that's all part of the process - you can't lose if you're not fighting, so just take your losses as setting yourself up for potential victories in the future!

With Palutena especially, you're going to want to experiment. Trial and error is the key here, and it took me a while before I found my best moveset for her, so play around until you find what's right for you. Come into her with an open mind, be willing to put the time and effort into figuring her skills out and be studious in finding the elements of her fighting style that you like best. Palutena does not offer her full potential up very easily: she takes a lot of dedication and practice, even for particularly skilled and advanced players, so don't feel discouraged, considering all of us felt much the same way at some point or another. Just keep the faith and don't get too worked up about it. You'll figure it out in due time, I'm sure!

In the meantime, if you need help or advice with anything, talk to us! We're always open for spreading a little divine wisdom to our fellow heavenly enthusiasts!

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
I'm going to keep working on stuff for palutena but I'm actually interested in trying out bowser. Never played a character who was big, fast , and did damage.

AozoraX

Smash Apprentice
the irony is
I played vs Ness a ton (im not even joking i think ness outclasses pallypoo), lost practically every game
then I picked up Bowser and everything because 30000x easier.
Always believe in Bowsercide

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
I feel like she's a character that has all the tools but wont be in the upper tiers for a long while.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
Anything to make her look great, and show everyone that she's a good character with good enough dedication.
this is pretty much what i want to do. the whole "Palutena is a bad character" bit is starting to get annoying and i want to prove them wrong..
also if anyone wants to do some ditto's matches i can get on tomorrow..

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
this is pretty much what i want to do. the whole "Palutena is a bad character" bit is starting to get annoying and i want to prove them wrong..
also if anyone wants to do some ditto's matches i can get on tomorrow..
I know she isn't bad but at times she's difficult to use.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
I would like to battle at some point tomorrow, I want to try out my custom Palutena. I'll probably be available at 5-11 pm.
What time zone? I'm in eastern time and will hopefully be able to battle until 6 or so. i don't think i can add fcs atm as i think my brother took my 3ds and don't know what time he'll be back..

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
What time zone? I'm in eastern time and will hopefully be able to battle until 6 or so. i don't think i can add fcs atm as i think my brother took my 3ds and don't know what time he'll be back..
I'm on the eastern time as well. Just message me when your ready to fight.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
I really like DDD and Marth as characters and mained them in Brawl (DDD more as a secondary due to not being as solid).

In Smash 4 I discovered how fun Palutena was, and how interesting she was. Her style suited me too. She zones, she's fast, she's rush down, she's grab game, she's fast kill moves, she's waifu, she's combos. (Lazy grammar there). So I started playing her a lot. Like a ****ing lot. She's my most played character by far, and I'm having a lot of fun with her. But my Palutena still isn't as good as my Lucina/DDD, even though I've played Palutena for more than twice as much as them combined. Perhaps it's because I've already been familiar with Marth/DDD in previous smash titles. I know Palutena has a lot of potential, even if very difficult to play, as shown by players like AeroLink. She has the right tools, but Smash 4 is turning out to be even faster paced than I had imagined. As a Brawl player, I'm not sure if I'll ever be fast enough to play Palutena at a good level with my reactions and tech skill. I think she may be too fast for me actually. Her fair and such are great but take great precision, spacing, timing, etc.

Anyone got any perspective on this? Maybe it'll all pay off later as I keep practicing and improving my tech skill and control and just fixing things little by little. Not to start a talent vs practice discussion here, but what do you tournament players (or anyone) think? Do your guys' minds just work super fast or are your tournament performances a result of just massive practice of doing all these different kinds of techniques and moves and getting every matchup down so that you don't have to think too hard about what's safe and what's not and what your opponent's options are in X situation so that you can punish them in Y ways? What do you personally think either as a spectator, a tournament player, or someone who's done anything related competitively in your life.

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Whoever said Ness was cheap was right. I'm adding him to my ban list.
Yep, it's another one of my anger moments. It's bad enough Pit isn't as strong as he used to be... besides his improved range.

Last edited:

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
I'm on the eastern time as well. Just message me when your ready to fight.
unfortunately I'll be leaving at four so i won't be able to have a few battles at 5..

Haven't fought any Ness' online yet though i just fought a Greninja and managed to pull out a win at the last second without having to go to Sudden death..

Last edited:
Top Bottom