• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
I've setup 3 custom movesets for Palutena:
Custom 1: Pink costume - Auto Reticle, Reflect, Warp, Celestial Firework
Custom 2: Green costume - Auto Reticle, Super Speed, Warp, Celestial Firework
Custom 3: Black costume - Auto Reticle, Super Speed, Jump Glide, Lightweight

Beastmegs

Smash Cadet
NNID
Beastmegs
3DS FC
3325-1862-3482
How is everyone enjoying the game?

I am still trying to unlock everything, but its going well.
I'm enjoying it alot sadly haven't play around with Palutena too Much i wanted too unlocked everything first.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
I played palutena today. I have to say even though her default moveset isn't the best, its still pretty good. Remember to please use her side smashes for the windbox when your opponent is approaching. it causes them to mess up their spacing.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I LOVE HER

BUT HER DEFAULT SPECIALS ARE AWFUL

Reticule is unreliable, mirror force is match-up dependant, counter is a counter. I just got the game so I'm trying to figure out how to get the other specials working... but thank god we don't have to stick with those. Otherwise her smashes are beautiful, and I love the range of the staff tilts. Also the Mewtwo-esque sidestep.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Note people: it's not that her default specials are awful, it's more that they're not her best.

It's like when people go and say "geez, x character sucks" ... no, that just means you suck with them for w.e. reason and should use someone else.

I'm already three stocking level 9 CPUs so it's just a matter of adjusting to her playstyle and not letting opponents get to you. My only loss with her was to a Sonic, but then I played the match again and counter needed to be used much more for that one.

For glory also going well, but she feels much more slow than usual. Not too happy about that.

Last edited:

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
As much as a I appreciate reflectors, it just feels like she's missing a move against like, Little Mac. As well as counters - I've always felt it's 100% better to have a proactive move vs a reactive move. As satisfying as they are to land. Excited to try all the alternatives. I'm reading that people prefer Reticule, but I REALLY hope there's something better because BLUGH. It's like some dumb pepper spray move I hate it.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
How is the online guys for you guys? Hows the input lag?.

Im not planning to get the 3ds version... but i got already a cheap wiiU and waiting for the reatil wiiU version... uill see you all there...

for now..only forums and youtube for me

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
After playing for a while today, N-air is one of my favorite moves. That D-throw to N-air combo, its range, and well, the motion of the move, I love it!
And I'm starting to respect Warp more, but I do wanna try one of my custom specials sometime. And tbh Counter has helped me quite well. It's good against a recovering Ike. So much potential.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
So I just found out that I have a pretty mean Palutena.. I've done a dozen or so matches, usually 2 out of 3 matches, anymore than that the players just leave.. this is fun! LOL. I need to fight someone more competitive. So far I've fought people who are intermediate-advanced and I gotta say... Palutena is f*cking AWESOME!

And that stripper taunt. Perfect for getting on people's nerves.

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
Note people: it's not that her default specials are awful, it's more that they're not her best.

It's like when people go and say "geez, x character sucks" ... no, that just means you suck with them for w.e. reason and should use someone else.

I'm already three stocking level 9 CPUs so it's just a matter of adjusting to her playstyle and not letting opponents get to you. My only loss with her was to a Sonic, but then I played the match again and counter needed to be used much more for that one.

For glory also going well, but she feels much more slow than usual. Not too happy about that.
And this is why the Japanese out her at the bottom of their far to early to accurately create tier list.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
So far, my impressions with Palutena so far, is wishing I can switch special moves around for how they're used. It sort of feels awkward to use the default moveset, because Auto feels better if it was a Side B, and Reflect would feel better if it was a Neutral B. Minor pet peeve, but hope I get around it somehow.

Plus, the Default specials are very Matchup based, as 2 of her those specials only help with certain matchups, and even when testing on comps, they hardly ever use projectiles, so it makes Reflect seem useless on a casual level of play. I personally prefer the Explosive Flame for Zoning/edge guarding purposes and the super dash for more mobility. All 3 Ups are good, and it comes to personally prefrence which for me is Glide or Warp.

I'm not really used to playing as Palutena, yet. So I'll probably need a lot more matches to get more experienced with her moveset.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Counter I feel is good against Ike mainly because you can negate his Up-B recovery flat-out, or at least in my experience. I don't know what else to say atm.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I wish there was a way to upload replays to Youtube like Mario Kart 8... I have this amazing video with Palutena in a 2v2.

Trollutena in full action.

Burigu

Smash Ace
Hello I have been absent 2 days mostly because, I felt left out of the conversation without actually playing her and the day after because I was playing the game, I have to say I am enjoying Palutena a lot, I think I have a lot to learn especially with the timing for some convos, I have only played offline with her I am not confident enough to try online, to my suprise the online is on the laggy site for me so I guess my best bet is 1 on 1 but I am not ready for that. Also Kirby trash tier I played yesterday some online with him on for glory and won against the likes of Falco, Fox or the thing everybody and their mother are using Little Mac.

Also Hard Copy for me nothing beats watching your collection physically

Downdraft

Smash Ace
How is everyone enjoying the game?

I am still trying to unlock everything, but its going well.
I've almost completed the first set of challenges. I've picked Palutena ~90% of the time.
I played the game for the first time yesterday evening and didn't perform that well versus human players.
I can hang with level 9 CPUs with Zelda—a character I've played extensively in Brawl, PM, and Brawl-–but the level 5 CPUs aren't that far below my skill level with Palutena. I could benefit from some pointers of how/when not to use certain moves. Also, has anyone found a way to use U-tilt? I also don't understand how Counter works.
I'm already three stocking level 9 CPUs so it's just a matter of adjusting to her playstyle and not letting opponents get to you.
Could you be my Palutena mentor? :upsidedown:

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Well, I wasn't able to get into the local tournament. Was too late when I got there. D: But I did have some versus matches with Palutena. I think I'm becoming a semi-God with her, but there is still so much to learn.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Sorry I haven't been very active this week because of school (and playing smash all day yesterday), I'll update the video thread after monday.

So, Palutena...

She was the first character I tried. My friend and I played some matches as soon as we got the game, and tbh I wasn't really feeling Palutena's moveset, at all. It felt so weird and lacking in ground options. I was so worried, like "But Palutena's my favorite character! Does this mean she won't be main??"

It turns out she's my most used character. by a long shot. Whenever I'm playing a serious match I default to Palutena; she's my best character. I don't really know what happened; I still think her moveset is very lacking, but at the same time it just kinda feels right to me. I like her physics, and her playstyle. I was expecting that she'd take a back seat to Zelda at least, but nope, palutena's gonna be my main.

Last edited:

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Sorry I haven't been very active this week because of school (and playing smash all day yesterday), I'll update the video thread after monday.

So, Palutena...

She was the first character I tried. My friend and I played some matches as soon as we got the game, and tbh I wasn't really feeling Palutena's moveset, at all. It felt so weird and lacking in ground options. I was so worried, like "But Palutena's my favorite character! Does this mean she won't be main??"

It turns out she's my most used character. by a long shot. Whenever I'm playing a serious match I default to Palutena; she's my best character. I don't really know what happened; I still think her moveset is very lacking, but at the same time it just kinda feels right to me. I like her physics, and her playstyle. I was expecting that she'd take a back seat to Zelda at least; nope, palutena's gonna be my main.
Pretty much my first reaction 3 weeks ago. At least everyone knows how I felt at the time. I was so upset because I wanted to main her, but her movesets was, like you said, was so weird to me, and was unlike any Smash character I played as before. But then one day....boom.....it just happened. I had finally figured out how to play as her. Palutena became more than just my intended second main, she now rivals with my first and master main. Never before have I played so good with a character that is up to my Mario's level. Palutena isn't the type of character you can easily pick up with in a day. She takes time. It took me a week to realize that.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I'm more used to Warp now and like it, but there's times where I wanna use Glide instead. Tbh I never practice with my other customs yet. I feel vulnerable. D:
And I don't wanna neglect Pit either, but I haven't used him much surprisingly.

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I'm finding myself in similar predicaments.

Like, I use Palutena the most by far (100 matches with her compared to Robin's twenty something, for example) but I keep on feeling like she's still not my best or adequate enough for competitive play.
And yet, when I was getting trounced by some guy's mario last night, I switch to Palutena and start delivering pain for some reason. You know, until the game was disconnected at least.
Best time though was when someone was using Ganondorf and I countered his charged forward smash and KO'd him at 30-something % xD

I did have a tough match-up against a little mac last night, but that one has more to do with lag. Beat him the first time, and then it got laggier and dodging would not happen fast enough. It's frustrating to see the punch coming and input the dodge and see nothing happen.

I'm at the point where I get the CPU's patterns and have plateau'd. Looking forward to playing with a friend tonight ... I need to play actual people to improve my abilities. Same goes with Robin and Villager.

As for other mains, I was not feeling Greninja at all. However, I find I have a very effective Lucina, Dark Pit and Bowser Jr. Larry Koopa. So I'll develop those. Jigglypuff I can also use since she feels like melee, but I want to stick to newcomers. Pac-Man and WFT I also find very interesting but struggle with more when facing others.

Last edited:

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
I'm actually surprised how she feels, she's even better than what I thought. I was kind of worried her playstyle wouldn't suit me tbh. She's so light omg, more so than Pit.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Question though, for those who have been playing, what is her best method of approaching characters like Mac and Marth?
I haven't played any Marths yet, but for Little Mac I just go for my standard dash grabs and dash attacks. Some of his own approaching moves leave him pretty open when they miss, so I try to play a little on the defensive side and capitalize on punishes. The nice thing about playing against Mac is that there's almost no pressure while you're recovering; he's unlikely to leave the stage, and if he does you have the advantage. BE CAUTIOUS ABOUT USING AUTO RETICLE. well, you should always be cautious with it, but even moreso with little mac because his dash animation will literally go right under it, and in .5 seconds you'll have like 30% damage. Before I learned this I would try to start each match with an auto reticle, but now I save it for times when he's far enough away and I know he won't move right away. That goes for any of your slower moves as well; you can't afford to use them unless you're very certain they'll hit.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I concur with what's been said here. Palutena's a distinct fighter and she's not somebody you can just pick up and play. She requires patience and practice, but my word, is she satisfying. I tried playing her defensively and I did very well altogether.

She's pretty much the thematic antithesis of what I'd normally play, but I must admit, that's good and healthy for any player. It's honestly quite refreshing to be able to play different styles and try something new, y'know?

Djent

Smash Champion
I think Palutena's viability will be completely determined by the legality of custom moves. If they're banned, she will be low-tier. If they're allowed, she could potentially be excellent.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
I like her missle custom but that's about it. I'm starting to see how good her default moveset is. Especially her side tilt because it eats up half of a shield.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Well, I got various custom builds set up.

-Main: Autoreticle/Reflect/Glide/Firework
-Speed: Explosive (or Auto)/Super Speed/Glide/Firework
-Power: Heavenly Light/Missile/Rocket Jump/Counter

I cant decide on Explosive for Power yet or at all due to having even more lag than Autoreticle. Like I said, I do like Warp as well. I'll play around with the sets here and there and see what happens as I practice. I know I wanna try to tease players with Speed though.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Played a bit of Palutena...Going to be honest, I'm not a fan of her play style.

I don't really know what it, but playing her is kinda weird. With, more practice, I might grow to like her gameplay more, but for right now, eh.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
It seems like using her tilts ignores almost all projectiles. Ftilt is good for guarding the ledge, Nair can ignore incoming projectiles, hits on both sides and is good for ledge guarding, then upair is very good for attacking while getting back on stage.

What I found out today is that a properly spaced fair can combo into a dash attack, dthrow to upair is actually consistent, and before you go in try to get at least 18% with her projectiles, then start poking with fair. It does take sometime to get used to her but she can do her job very well.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I have been playing non-stop trying to unlock everything. Still a long way to go! I still need to try Palutena with her custom moves.

rpgcaster

Smash Apprentice
I think Palutena's viability will be completely determined by the legality of custom moves. If they're banned, she will be low-tier. If they're allowed, she could potentially be excellent.
As already stated, I think it's a bit too early to be claiming tier status, regardless of with or without customs. I feel like a competent player with Palutena can be a bit threat, looking at some of Aerolink's matches removes any doubts I have about the characters viability in competitive play. That being said, yeah she has bad match ups like any other characters, but her base set lacks the tools to deal with certain match ups... I was thinking she was a bad character at first myself but I feel like that feeling is starting the go away the more I get a hang of her.

But yeah, there's no doubt that she'll be A LOT better with custom moves legalised~

I'm more used to Warp now and like it, but there's times where I wanna use Glide instead. Tbh I never practice with my other customs yet. I feel vulnerable. D:
And I don't wanna neglect Pit either, but I haven't used him much surprisingly.
Warp is an amazing spacing tool! And to think I was annoyed that it was her default XD On the other hand, Jump Glide is awkward to me, maybe I'm just not use to it but the amount of dumb self destructs caused by my lack of understanding of the move... is kinda sad XD

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Hey, if anyone wants to play some matches with me let me know.
Yeah I want to play you, add me on FB: https://www.facebook.com/gerradwalker

I don't know why you guys are complaining about her specials. Those are like her best moves after testing all the customs.

I also made it to the finals @ my gamestop tournament! I did not win unfortunately. I got really nervous and missed so many kill moves. I also inputted a dash attack when I meant to Up-Smash so that lost me two kills sadly. I'm still really devastated, but thankful that God gave me the opportunity to play in the event. I was so close, so maybe next time. Looking back, I should have asked my friends for more help & listened to Player-1 when he told me to watch out for Capt Falcon who ironically won. Reflex & I should have double-teammed, but I wasn't even thinking. I also should have tried to go BF instead of FD vs Bowser, Capt Falcon, Megaman.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
More thoughts after playing people.

This is probably even more of a strategic character than any I've used, even more so (ironically) than Robin. More than anything it's because of the fact that
- Most of her moveset has considerable lag when compared to others. She's not slow, but what makes her feel slow is that it takes a bit after every move to be able to react. I played a lot against Little Mac right now and he's like the opposite where every move feels super fast and he goes from and to jabs and titls and smashes back and forth without blinking. Meanwhile, almost all my moves, from dash attack to smashes, and ESPECIALLY tilts, have tremendous lag. Basically: if you use it, make sure it will hit or you WILL get punished, sometimes horrendously.
- Warp can actually be extremely helpful, but again, as I feared, it's exactly like Melee Mewtwo's. Where if you land of the ground, stupid lag and punish. Land a bit above it, and it's a faster process. What helps is that the omega stages feel larger than FD felt to me for some reason, so that's good news for warping around.
Other specials are very conditional, and yes, laggy. Reflect is very very particular, it's soo hard to use it well especially when people expect it. Good pay off though. Same with counter, which I've landed less times than Lucina's for some reason. But when you do, like countering a Mac punch or a Ganondorf, or even a Cpt. Falcon knee (xD) it's worth it. Auto-reticle is also actually pretty good at keep away, but if something blocks the reticle or the opponent dashes while the start up lag happens, it's extremely punishable.
- The aerials are her best bet by far, but because of everyone who plays palutena being sooo paranoid of Up Smash, it takes a lot of predicting to make sure a constantly dodging opponent gets to feel the pain from the aerials. Best is when you manage to connect a string of Nairs or Uairs, racks up damage. Fair seems like the fastest move in her arsenal, reminds me of Wolf's Bair although perhaps not as constantly reliable.
A lot of people expect Palutena to do crazy stuff in the air, and I've seen competent players dodge almost everything. What wound up working the best for me is baiting the dodge by pretend jumping, then punishing with Down or Forward Smash.
Then again, that was just one person I played over and over and over again, so I'm not sure if it's a well-known thing for people to avoid air Palutena.

tl;dr: Powerful character with a lot of options, but thanks to so many moves that leave you open for disaster, as well as opponents knowing she works in the air (and being wary of the Up Smash) you need to be really thoughtful when using her and make every move count.

Oh yea, her jab. Amazing. Afraid of Little Mac? The jab stops his approaches, and lacks the super lag of the tilts. I was so happy when I realized this. Probably other people did within the walls of posts I avoided before the game's release.

Zwzchow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zwzchow8
3DS FC
1805-3193-2658
Pit's jumps have become so awkward to me for some reason

Yeah Palutena is good but you need some time to get used to (Dat jab doe)

Edit: Also Dark Pit wtf is the bloody difference

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Pit's much different, and it's hard for me to use him effectively. I hope he'll be great. :(

Like I said with Palutena N-airs, it's amazing. She definitely is one of those characters that do have a tough learning curve, not just because of the nature of her unique custom specials, but some players may not be used to a highly defensive character of her type, let alone her having both reflector and a counter in the same moveset (talking about the default), which is actually a first in Smash, and add that with a projectile to be used in various situations.
Still, good thing for the D-throw combos to N-air or U-air, which the latter can kill.

Unfortunately with that... dark copy... He's supposedly more damaging and stronger, but slower. I still strongly prefer regular Pit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom