• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Minor Technique I've never seen mentioned

BonaparteZ

Smash Rookie
Hi guys,
I'm a European smasher, but due to lack of a bigger community in my area, much to my regret, I have never managed to develop great skill.

However, I've spent a good amount of time in training mode by myself, experimenting and practicing, and through that I've discovered a minor technique that I don't think I have ever seen mentioned over the years. Some players might already be using it, and this might be extremely old news or considered trivial, but in case it isn't, I've felt compelled to make this thread now that the meta-game has advanced to a state where even such a little thing could make a difference. It's not even exclusive to Fox only. Quite possibly, it could be used for other characters as well.

What it does is that it let's you jump out of a dash, with virtually full speed and no slow down, still facing into the same direction, but your neutral B will go into the opposite direction. It kind of buffers the turn-around of the neutral B to happen already before you leave the ground, so you don't have to influence your trajectory to reverse your neutral B. I'd probably call it a reverse short hop (RSH if you will). But don't get too excited, it's really nothing huge. I fear it's been known and used for a long time already, just rarely talked about, since it barely does anything.

The way it's done is by smashing the control stick to the right (90°) to start running, then flicking it into the upper left corner (about 300°, it's hard to tell how many degrees exactly), then reassume the neutral position before you leave the ground. Now as soon as you leave the ground with this short hop, press B twice as soon as you can, and Fox will do an instant turn around short hopped double blaster. Very stylish, barely useful. (You'd rather do a short hop fast fall single blaster MOST of the time, but of course that can be achieved with this jumping technique as well)
Edit: Of course it works the other way around too, running left first, then flick to upper right

The alternate way of doing this (press X to short hop, flick into opposite direction back to neutral, press B twice) would in my opinion be overall slower and make you jump less far. Also, it'd be way more difficult to input, and thus more prone to error. You might accidentally end up with maybe only one laser for being too slow, accidental Fox illusions, having to use two fingers for X and B or whatnot. So I think my described input method is superior, and very possibly gives you a frame advantage being able to execute a reverse neutral B a bit earlier in your jump. I used this technique even though I'd normally jump with X because of that.

Surely, this could be used with any character that has a useful neutral B move. I am posting this in this section as I fear it wouldn't be read at all if I posted it in the general board (seems mostly social), and Fox mains are usually fairly technical.

Now, the other thing I've noticed is that if you follow up with pressing A instead of B, you do a sort of "perfect" short hopped ANA with full running speed. Just to be clear about it, you will NOT turn around in mid air doing this. Not sure if just flicking the control stick upwards or sliding from X to A can get the same result or not, but I've always felt you got some sort of extra boost doing it this way, as if your speed somehow got locked in a weird way. Though that might have been an entirely subjective impression that I got due to my relatively low tech skill otherwise. I used to use both this way of executing ANA and the regular one. Maybe you could try it as well and see if it does anything for you.

Could some advanced player please confirm whether any/all of this is completely useless or already known? Is it already considered bread and butter to advanced Falco players maybe?
I am indeed sorry if this is old news. I just want to get this info out, in case I'm somehow the only one who has ever discovered any of this. Once again, my guess it's probably already known and considered trivial. Oh well. Even if it's trivial, there might be some people who have never thought of short hopping in this peculiar way, so this thread shouldn't be completely useless either way.

Last edited:

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Reverse short hopped double lasers (RSHDL) are old, I've been doing them since 2007 with the same method that you've described, although I've never seen a fox that can consistently do RSHDL in a match (only SilentWolf comes to mind, but even then...).

About that extra speed boost, I'm not sure, you'll have to make a video with actual frame data to prove that it actually has some kind of speed boost, but it seems to me that it does not and is just all the quick flickering and finger movement you're doing that kinda gives you the illusion that it does.

Props to you finding all of that on your own though, most people don't have that kind of dedication, I would try to master the technique with X and B though, seems more reliable to me, and a very good challenge, sadly I can practice anymore cause my copy of the game is screwed, but I'll get another one soon, hopefully.

BonaparteZ

Smash Rookie
I knew they were old, since obviously, they get used in matches. Though I wasn't sure if anybody did them with my described input method. I personally find it a lot easier using this method, and came close to consistent with it (rarely got some accidental full jumps instead of short hops), but the benefits were very marginal to me. It's just blaster hits after all, and I'm not a pro. It might be due to my anatomy (I seem to be a dog after all) that I find that method particularly easy. Though once you get the jump this way, you're basically already done, the rest is just the same input as a normal SHDB. It's strange that I've never seen this input method mentioned anywhere though. It's not all that obvious to figure out without a hint by somebody, in my opinion. Maybe just by chance, I've never seen any of the guides that actually talk about it.

Regarding the perceived speed boost, I don't know. What you've said is exactly my fear, that it might just be an illusion. I wonder how I in particular could get frame data on it, as I don't have anything set up. Maybe using frame advance in Dolphin. I might look into that, just to make sure it's just my own perception.

Doing it with X and B is a challenge indeed. But I wouldn't trust myself never getting an accidental illusion out that way. Also, probably not worth the effort if I can do the other method? Thanks for your reply.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
If you're talking about straight SHDB (or SHDL) is been done by some foxes by just Y+B or X+B, just check out late m2k matches, he likes to use SHDL a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8RGe-rSWmQ

Yeah missed SHDL into side B sucks, but getting hit because of an accidental full jump can be as bad too.

BonaparteZ

Smash Rookie
Huh, there must be some misunderstanding. I SHDB with X+B, just the turning around RSHDB I hop with the stick. Without turning around, I agree X+B is way easier. Let's say, I want to dash to the right, away from the opponent. Then if I'd feel it's safe, I'd do that stick movement I've described to turn-around SHDB out of this dash and hold further right as soon as I fire. This is almost free in those situations. Then more blasterspam that doesn't turn around, I'd just do with X.

And thanks for the video, though I know quite well what it looks like and that M2K goes crazy with the blaster spam. Not sure where the misunderstanding lies here. I guess video footage would have been optimal to go along with this thread, to make sure everybody knows what I'm talking about, but I got no equipment. Maybe I can find something that looks close to it in a match.

Edit: My next post has a great example of it. I've left the rest of this message (before I had found the better example) unedited.

Hm, here at the one you've linked at 4m 48s, this sort of thing except short hopped. That's what I've been talking about. Dash to get momentum, flick into the opposite direction diagonally upwards to get the jump, fire and he'll fire into the direction opposite from where you were dashing into, keep retreating. I thought we were both talking about the same thing, but now I'm not so sure anymore.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8RGe-rSWmQ&t=4m48s

Also here, this looks similar, except I'm talking about a double blaster.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjl6qCke0NI&t=5m
And here, though again, I'm talking about a SHDB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjl6qCke0NI&t=5m52s
Again, this time from M2K, but what I'm describing is this sort of thing with 2 blaster shots
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8RGe-rSWmQ&t=1m18s

Last edited:

fennel69

Smash Cadet
I'm doing SHDB with the control stick since 2005 but I will try for the ANA because I'm a tap jump player and to go as far as possible I always doing it with X or Y but if I can perform it with the stick it would be perfect o/

BonaparteZ

Smash Rookie
Seen Axe randomly do the retreating SHDB I was talking about. I don't know about you, but I find this exact thing almost impossible with X+B, plus I'd be afraid of SDing with illusion, and much more doable with the stick as I described. Doesn't mean he does it with the stick though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKwq4kjocVY&t=6m19s

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
I don't see how this is different from pressing X then B in terms of length of the jump.

Top Bottom