• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Minnesota Tourney: At the U of M

DaOneEnOnly

Smash Rookie
Date: Friday, August 14, 2009
Time: 3:30pm - 10:00pm
Street: 300 Washington Ave. Southeast
City/Town: Minneapolis, MN

Time:
We'll start admitting at 3:30pm, tournament play will start at 4pm-4:15ish depending on if everyone we know is coming is there or not.

There will be a singles tourney and a doubles tourney. The rules are listed below. The tournament will be a double elimination best of three series (As outlined in the rules). Brawl singles will be played first, then Melee doubles, then Melee singles. . Singles tourneys are $5 per person, doubles is $10 per team (2 people). The venue fee will be $3 max. Please bring exact change, we will not be able to break very many bills most likely

I WILL BE WAIVING THE VENUE FEE FOR THE FIRST 3 PEOPLE TO SHOW UP WITH FULL SETUPS FOR MELEE AND BRAWL

We should have couple stations for playing. Please feel free to bring a full setup (TV, Wii/gamecube and a game) to speed up the process.

All players will be required to bring their own controller and game (for copyright reasons).

When playing Brawl or if on a Wii:
Wiimotes and Classic Controller users should take the batteries out of their controllers after finishing a set; not only will this save battery life, but it prevents accidental interference and delay for tournament matches.

Melee Rules:
General Rules

* Items are set to off
* The stock is set to 4
* The time limit is set to 8 min
* All sets are best of 3 matches
* In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
* No player may choose the stage they last won on
* Ties will be broken by lives, then percentage. In the event of a percentage tie, one stock sudden death will be played
* Wobbling is allowed except when used to excessively stall a match
* The Ice Climber Freeze Glitch is banned
* Jigglypuff's rising pound stall is banned
* Peach's bomber stall beneath levels where she is unreachable is banned (example: FoD)

Set Format (in order of procedure)
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for the entirety of the set
3. The first stage will be played at random from the Random Stage List **
4. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Random Stage List or the Counter Stage List
5. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
6. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
7. Repeat steps 4-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for this match
**Opponents may instead agree upon a random stage

Brawl Rules:
General rules:

* 3 Stock

* 8 minute timer

* Items are set to "off" and "none"

* All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above should be played out for any "finals" matches)

* In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

* No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

* In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

* If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

* Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.

* If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.

* You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

* Stalling is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs must end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Counter-picking map selection system will be used for both games. Maps will be moved into there categories and announced at the tourney.

Cheapest Parking locations:
1. Lot 33
1718 5TH ST SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
2. Lot 37
1811 5TH ST SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
3.MAROON LOT
2010 6TH ST SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
4. Lot 94
2115 5TH ST S
Minneapolis, MN 55455

All the above facilities are "day" parking, in other words you pay $3.75 and you're good. However, these are a bit far from Coffeman Memorial Union so I'd recommend leaving plenty of time to walk (its a 15min walk if you know where you're going). Or you can take a campus connector bus, which will be running every 15min, and get off at the Coffeman bus stop.
Otherwise I'm sure finding a hourly parking garage won't be hard.

DaOneEnOnly

Smash Rookie
I forgot to add the venue fee... also I'm going to mention now that prizes will be paid out in 60 30 10.

DaOneEnOnly

Smash Rookie
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me via PM or email me through the board.

DaOneEnOnly

Smash Rookie
YAY! Its looking like we're going to have pretty nice turn out!

edit:
This is advertised other places too... obviously.

DayZiro

Smash Rookie
Four friends and myself will probably be coming.

DaOneEnOnly, about how many people are coming?

DaOneEnOnly

Smash Rookie
Four friends and myself will probably be coming.

DaOneEnOnly, about how many people are coming?
Sorry I took so long to get back...

we're looking at 10-20 people most likely maybe more... I don't really have a good reading on this tourney since its in the summer.

DaOneEnOnly

Smash Rookie
Melee:

Starters (Chosen by random)

Fountain of Dreams (Singles Only)
Pokemon Stadium
Dream Land
Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story

Counter picks:

Kongo Jungle 64
Mute City (Singles Only)
Rainbow Cruise
Poke Floats
Corneria
Brinstar
Jungle Japes
Green Greens

Everything Else Banned

Brawl: (singles only)

Starter (Chosen by stage striking)

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise

Counterpicks

Brinstar
Delfino
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Pictochat
Pirate Ship
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise
Norfair
Castle Siege
Halberd
Pokémon Stadium 1
Green Greens

Everything Else Banned

WaywardLuca

Smash Rookie
Me and my friend will probably be coming. I can bring a Wii as well as melee and brawl. I've been looking for a minneapolis tourney for a few months, and i'm really pumped i found you guys.

p.s. I play Lucario/G&W/Olimar/PT and he plays ZSS/Zelda

DaOneEnOnly

Smash Rookie
Me and my friend will probably be coming. I can bring a Wii as well as melee and brawl. I've been looking for a minneapolis tourney for a few months, and i'm really pumped i found you guys.

p.s. I play Lucario/G&W/Olimar/PT and he plays ZSS/Zelda
I'm glad you found us too! I'm going to write down your username and then I'll PM you once we get our forums and site up. Otherwise definitely check out MNSmash because I will always post upcoming Smash tourneys there. I post them here too, but they tend to get lost with all the other states.

See you tomorrow!

Top Bottom