• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miniature Wavelanding Tips and Tricks Guide.

Renth

Smash Hero
I've been hearing a lot of people ask me for general tips and basic uses for wavelanding and how they can improve their game. I'm going to make an amateur guide for those who are just learning the basics.

We all know, wavelanding off of a platform and reverse up airing is a fantastic form of edgeguarding. (Thanks Tipman)

I'd like to share how I got very good at wavelanding, trust me its not hard! just practice!

Wavelanding with Ganon does a lot for his metagame, increases speed, spacing, mind games, and one of the funnest things in ssbm. I'd like to share this with everyone in hopes they can learn perfect wavelands in a few very simple steps.

Lets start things off with the basics.

Step 1: Go to Dreamland.

Step 2: The Platforms on the left and right side go perfect with ganons regular first jump, so at the height of your jump hold side ways which ever direction you perfer and hit L/R.

Step 3: After getting a firm hold on the timing of step 2, the platform in the middle is higher goes perfect with ganons full jump. So, jump twice then immiedately hold side ways then hit L/R in your peferred direction.

Step 4: once you have the basic idea of how it ganons animations go from landing ect, try this on other stages, after awhile you should be landing every stage with ease. Regardless of moving platforms (Fountain of Dreams) After some time you should be able to sight read those as well.

After learning this, I learned the basic signs for when you can do these wavelands. The body animations and so fourth. To the point I can do perfect wavelands on any stage very well. Take This for Reference.

Wavelanding from the ledge

This took me a little while to get down and today I still mess it up time to time. I think the easiest way is to play on the ledge a little, hit down/back and jump continue to grab and release the ledge until you have a comfortable rhythm. After that start jumping on to the stage. Once you have that timing down let go of the ledge, jump immediately, then hold straight Right/Left depending where you are and hit L/R.

Reverse Wavelanding (from ledge - to stage - back to ledge)

I hear a lot of people have problems doing this technique, with a little practice you should be able to get it with ease! To reverse waveland its the same as wavelanding onto the stage just hit the other direction. It takes more precision and technical skill but once you get it down its fairly useful.

Example:

Reverse waveland jump back onto the stage with an f air (much like captain falcons do with the knee)

Thank you for your time and I hope in some way this has been useful.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
Great guide Renth. Mods! Please make sure to sticky this. -Side note- Double jumping makes it slightly easier to wave lands, but make sure you get the single jump platform wave lands down first.

Renth

Smash Hero
Great guide Renth. Mods! Please make sure to sticky this. -Side note- Double jumping makes it slightly easier to wave lands, but make sure you get the single jump platform wave lands down first.
double jumping does make it easier to waveland, thats why I rarely double jump waveland lol.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
double jumping does make it easier to waveland, thats why I rarely double jump waveland lol.
Well it's pretty situational, because of the initial frame speed Ganon could potentially get. Double jumping wave lands are very convenient , because it's less demanding on the timing and help get across levels with platforms faster, while having the option of using different approaches (I.E Waveland forward than backwards, then forward again)

lol I'm gonna get a man-up speech about this from you Renth. :laugh:

PaperstSoapCo

Smash Lord
Nice Guide. Ironically I was showing someone how to platform dash on Dreamland the day you posted this. Dreamland is the easiest level to learn on next to BF. Yoshi story and FoD are a bit more tricky. Ganon players are fortunate though that his Wavedash variations are so easy and usefull. Other characters need a lot more precision.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
The only times I ever DJ wave land really are full DJ's to the top center platform on the appropriate stages and wave land off backwards. Maybe switch directions after falling off the platform so you'll land on the stage instead of the left or right platform + an aerial? idk!

I love playing FoD with ganon.. and this is a cool guide renth, thanks for posting it.

Renth

Smash Hero
Well it's pretty situational, because of the initial frame speed Ganon could potentially get. Double jumping wave lands are very convenient , because it's less demanding on the timing and help get across levels with platforms faster, while having the option of using different approaches (I.E Waveland forward than backwards, then forward again)

lol I'm gonna get a man-up speech about this from you Renth. :laugh:
lol, Nahh no hate from me spider any additional information that can be used to help people who don't understand the better. However, =) I hate double jump wavelanding so I barely do it and I do just fine with single jumps thank you very much.

Can you write a more advanced guide? I'd like to learn some more details around the topic of advanced uses.
I'll look into it, i'll ask for all of the well-known ganon players to add a little bit of information to it as well. Whenever I get a chance i'll get writing and getting little things from everyone so its as proper as it can be.

Is it even possible to wave land consistently on FoD?
yep! if i had recording equipment i'd gladly show off for you.

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
Nice Guide. Ironically I was showing someone how to platform dash on Dreamland the day you posted this. Dreamland is the easiest level to learn on next to BF. Yoshi story and FoD are a bit more tricky. Ganon players are fortunate though that his Wavedash variations are so easy and usefull. Other characters need a lot more precision.
Really? I find it easiest to do them on YS and Pkm Stadium. Hardest on FoD, and BF/Dreamland are in the middle.

Renth

Smash Hero
BuMpEd

people are asking about wavelands again bout time this thing got stuck here huh?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
How do I waveland like Kage? Hes so good at it. Much better than Renth, obviously. After all, he IS one of the only two good ganons right now.
Lmfao. Just jump above a platform, and if down is 180 degrees, hold the joystick at either 179 or 181 degrees when you hit R/L and you should be fine.

Xtra_Crispy

Smash Cadet
Tip that helped me: If you want to get really good at wavelands start working on some non tourney legal stages. If you can hit the moving platforms on Kongo Jungle reliably you definitely can hit the ones on FoD. Start sliding around on rainbow cruise and you won't rely as much on the centered camera (I always used to screw up movement when edgeguarding because of this), plus you will be judging your wavelands more off position in relation to the ground rather than timing after a jump based on platform height.
For ledgedashes and reverse ones, Temple has that nice SD proof ledge to work on, though it only is the right side.

Final point: players in general need to work on their movement on Stadium transformations. The tree/ bush in the earth transform, the top of the tree in the fire (yes that skinny little part) and the windmill all give ganon incredible quick burst of movement options yet I barely ever see them used even at top level. Plus the new platform heights/ orientations allow for some otherwise impossible options. Let's face it, our character is not Fox, so we have to take every advantage we can get, especially where tech may be lacking for other characters.

Top Bottom