• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mimikyu Just Wants Some Friends! Mimikyu for Smash 5!

UserKev

Smash Champion
Assuming gen 8 doesn't drop in at the last minute and throw a wrench into the plan, I think it has a decent chance.
Honestly, I don't see gen 8 stopping Mimikyu. I can see Mimikyu getting in along with a gen 8 rep. Gamefreak is pushing Mimikyu and, its really saying something.

I don't realize it at times.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
based of the past bunch of gens, gen 8 shouldnt be out until next year, smash is out this year

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think Mimikyu is guaranteed to be in Smash.
But I do think it will be a Pokeball or stage.

I would not be against his inclusion, to be fair. And I am pretty damn picky about my Pokemon selection.

That said I would like something more than "just another Pokemon."

JomSpoons

Smash Cadet
I fully support this. Mimikyu has become my favorite Pokemon and I think they'd fit perfectly in Smash. I see others saying Decidueye is a better choice, but I personally feel that Mimikyu is more iconic out of the two. Plus, Decidueye is already playable in Pokken Tournament DX. I'd rather have a new Pokemon rather than one already playable in another fighting game.

(Also Autumn, I have to give you props for the Love Live profile pic. Big fan)

UserKev

Smash Champion
I fully support this. Mimikyu has become my favorite Pokemon and I think they'd fit perfectly in Smash. I see others saying Decidueye is a better choice, but I personally feel that Mimikyu is more iconic out of the two. Plus, Decidueye is already playable in Pokken Tournament DX. I'd rather have a new Pokemon rather than one already playable in another fighting game.

Its like you already got a sense of how it plays in Pokken, where all its excitement went.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I just don't like the whole "we NEED a grass type to complete the trio," thought process. So no other types should be introduced before we get a recurring grass type? Why is that fair?

If a grass type comes around that absolutely would be a cool character than thats one thing but lets not FORCE a grass type into a slot before anyone else is considered. Decidueye is fine imo and I won't be upset if he's the one announced but I really feel that Mimkyu would be a better addition to the roster. (Also yeah he's in Pokken and is top tier let Mimikyu have a chance in the spotlight ;w; )

Last edited:

JomSpoons

Smash Cadet
I just don't like the whole "we NEED a grass type to complete the trio," thought process. So no other types should be introduced before we get a recurring grass type? Why is that fair?

If a grass type comes around that absolutely would be a cool character than thats one thing but lets not FORCE a grass type into a slot before anyone else is considered. Decidueye is fine imo and I won't be upset if he's the one announced but I really feel that Mimkyu would be a better addition to the roster. (Also yeah he's in Pokken and is top tier let Mimikyu have a chance in the spotlight ;w; )
I feel the same way. And let's not forget there already has been a grass type in Smash: Ivysaur. I like Decidueye and I think he has a really nice and unique design, but I honestly would rather just have Ivysaur (and my homeboy Squirtle) brought back and have Mimikyu as the Gen 7 rep. And again, Decidueye is already in Pokken, so I would be a bit disappointed if we're getting a character that's already in another fighting game. I feel like Smash provides more opportunity for characters than something like Pokken. It seems like all the Pokken characters have to fit a sort of criteria for them to be considered as playable characters, as opposed to Smash where it seems like really anyone could be worked into a playable character. I feel like if we take a fighter from Pokken and put it in Smash as a new character it'd be a bit underwhelming, for me at least.

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
I don’t think I’ve posted here, but I love this idea. Personally used Mimikyu a lot in Sun.
Also, looks like there’s a broken image in the first post

Last edited:

PF9

Smash Lord
Just thought of something. Mimikyu is part Ghost-type. Pac-Man in my headcanons fears ghosts. If Mimikyu got in it would be a big trigger for Pac-Man.

UserKev

Smash Champion
It was nice to run into a top 10 Pokémon newcomers for Smash that had Mimikyu above its competitor at the likeliness. Mimikyu is considered as favoritism by Gamefreak when, its not like that at all since people would have still wanted Decidueye.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
I struggled to think about a moveset to Mimikyu until I read this thread, now I support it full steam! I mean, Mimikyu is my favorite Pokémon from Alola and I guess it can be completely unique!

UserKev

Smash Champion
I struggled to think about a moveset to Mimikyu until I read this thread, now I support it full steam! I mean, Mimikyu is my favorite Pokémon from Alola and I guess it can be completely unique!
Have you seen Mimikyu in the Sun and Moon anime? It has full coverage with Play Rough.

ETFruitNinja

Smash Rookie
When I saw Mimikyu for the first time, I thought that he would be perfect for Smash! Mimikyu is definitely one of the most important characters of Gen 7, and would definitely make for a more interesting Pikachu "clone" than Pichu. I support!

Darkraid

Smash Champion
What if they make Mimikyu as a Pikachu clone but replace all electric attacks with ghost attacks instead?

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Its great to know that won't be the case.
Why not tho. The purpose of Mimikyu is to mimic Pikachu. It's sole purpose is to be a clone. So why not but Mimi into a clone but replace with ghost instead of electric?

Luminario

Smash Lord
Why not tho. The purpose of Mimikyu is to mimic Pikachu. It's sole purpose is to be a clone. So why not but Mimi into a clone but replace with ghost instead of electric?
Mimikyu's concept is "Pikachu knock-off" but by looks only. It can imitate a few of Pikachu's moves like a tail swing for up smash but due to the fact they don't really share a body type they can't really share than much.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well for it to be a proper clone itd need the same body type as pikachu which they dont have so it wouldnt work

sman3579

Smash Cadet
Although Decidueye is probably my #1 Pokemon I wanted to see included in Smash 5, Mimikyu is definitely #2. I think they could come up with a pretty unique and cool move set for it. Plus Mimikyu in general is just a cool Pokemon with a cool design and a cool concept/story behind it. Would definitely be one of the best Pokemon they could add for the next Smash.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Pikachu and Mimikyu don't share the same structure as each other. It's not the same case as the likes of Link and Toon Link or even Pikachu and Pichu, while they have different proportions, they still share a similar skeletal structure. Mimikyu's hands are straight below It's disguise for example, Pikachu also generally moves on all fours whereas Mimikyu moves more straight up. It won't work out without looking awkward or needing more work done, especially for a low priority clone, and by that point, might as well make it a unique character.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
What they said.

Mimikyu's sole purpose isn't to be a clone but a rival for Pikachu, if anything. It attempts to mimic Pikachu's look but, can't completely mimic Pikachu. That's the brilliance of it.

I really don't understand what your getting at. Haha

Phoebee

Smash Cadet
I didn't know I wanted this until now! I'd love to have them and they're probably the most likely gen 7 rep alongside Decidueye. Not sure if I'd rather them get in over other Pokémon reps but I kinda stopped caring about like, overcrowding of characters of certain series after Smash 4 which had like what, 8 Mario characters?

SpindaMaster

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3136-6569-2540
I love Mimikyu so I hope it gets in. I'm almost 100% certain that it'll at least be a pokéball Pokémon if not playable since it's so popular

UserKev

Smash Champion
I love Mimikyu so I hope it gets in. I'm almost 100% certain that it'll at least be a pokéball Pokémon if not playable since it's so popular
I actually can't imagine Mimikyu as a Pokeball with its uniquely advance proportions. I see it as an assist trophy or stage hazard at the most.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
This is the best Gen VII choice. I really don't mind if Decidueye gets in but Mimikyu absolutely needs to be included as well. Mimikyu is arguably more popular anyway. Also, Smash has spent too much time including cool and badass Pokemon like Lucario and Mewtwo. We need to go back to having small and cute Pokemon included and Mimikyu is the perfect choice! Plus, the Ghost/Fairy typing seems like fun moveset potential.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Since I don't remember anyone coming up with how Mimikyu would jump and recover in Smash:

Mimikyu's regular jump is him jumping as if he's launched straight upward, his 2nd jump being a typical flip. Haha If you hold the jump button, Mimikyu will levitate, eventually contacting with the ground.

Mimikyu's recover is him releasing a shadow ball via air that pressure from the release, pushes Mimikyu the opposite but beneficial direction for stage reach. Its like Mimikyu escaping from Rowlet's leaf whirlwind in the anime.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Since I don't remember anyone coming up with how Mimikyu would jump and recover in Smash:

Mimikyu's regular jump is him jumping as if he's launched straight upward, his 2nd jump being a typical flip. Haha If you hold the jump button, Mimikyu will levitate, eventually contacting with the ground.

Mimikyu's recover is him releasing a shadow ball via air that pressure from the release, pushes Mimikyu the opposite but beneficial direction for stage reach. Its like Mimikyu escaping from Rowlet's leaf whirlwind in the anime.
I'm not too sure about levitating, but the Robin Elwind type recovery with Shadow Ball works pretty well.
Other recovery ideas are a Mii Sword Skyward Slash Dash type recovery, using Play Rough or Wood Hammer to slash multiple times with the tail in the chosen direction. Another potential recovery move, possibly a side B instead, is Double Team: where Mimikyu flies in the direction chosen as it shoots a copy of itself in the opposite direction that immediately fades away after the attack is finished.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'm not too sure about levitating, but the Robin Elwind type recovery with Shadow Ball works pretty well.
Other recovery ideas are a Mii Sword Skyward Slash Dash type recovery, using Play Rough or Wood Hammer to slash multiple times with the tail in the chosen direction. Another potential recovery move, possibly a side B instead, is Double Team: where Mimikyu flies in the direction chosen as it shoots a copy of itself in the opposite direction that immediately fades away after the attack is finished.
I actually had difficulties deciding the levitate gimmick and just threw it out there for feedback. Haha Your ideas are badass though. Mimikyu has serious potential for so many recoveries it can manipulate in its favor.

I'll add that Mimikyu can grab on to ledges with its shadow hand that extends from under its cloth.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I actually had difficulties deciding the levitate gimmick and just threw it out there for feedback. Haha Your ideas are badass though. Mimikyu has serious potential for so many recoveries it can manipulate in its favor.

I'll add that Mimikyu can grab on to ledges with its shadow hand that extends from under its cloth.
PLEAAASE give Mimikyu a Zair recovery. That would be hilarious. I can just imagine playing Mimikyu and jumping around like Lucas throwing out my shadow claw. T'would be wonderful.

JomSpoons

Smash Cadet
I imagine Mimikyu would jump by using two of their hands from under the cloth to push themself off the ground. But that was just what I had imagined.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I imagine Mimikyu would jump by using two of their hands from under the cloth to push themself off the ground. But that was just what I had imagined.
How would Mimikyu up right once it grabs on to the ledge? I can really see your idea as far as Mimikyu lifting its self with its hands on to the stage.

Mimikyu's shadow hands are really great for what it needs. They cover it how would grab, pick up items and can work as its neutral attack. Button mash, Mimikyu hits the foe with multiple shadow sneaks, concluding with a pluck. Haha

I really want Mimikyu Vs. Kirby.

Cynthwave

Smash Rookie
99% of youtube Top 10 Chars for Smash lists ALWAYS tout Decidueye as being like guaranteed cuz of the "oh its grass starter lol we dont have one of thos"
That's not how Sakurai chooses characters
(also go Mimikyu add me to the list)

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
As cool as Decidueye is, Mimikyu would be an awesome rep for Sun & Moon generatio, as it links to Pikatchu. As for a grass starter we could have the Pokémon Switch represent them.

Add me to the support and maybe chuck this in the OP for others to use
by vaanrose

UserKev

Smash Champion
99% of youtube Top 10 Chars for Smash lists ALWAYS tout Decidueye as being like guaranteed cuz of the "oh its grass starter lol we dont have one of thos"
That's not how Sakurai chooses characters
(also go Mimikyu add me to the list)
It really does need to stop since it makes Decidueye feel the least indebt. Support for Decidueye is better off without it. Just mention what it can possibly bring to Smash.

I'm really glad typing isn't the case for Mimikyu. It already gives legitimate sense of meant to be qualities for Smash.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I know I've already said this but Decidueye got in as a character in Pokken...and he is/was considered the best character. He has his recognition.

Mimikyu doesn't have anything like that yet for all its popularity. This could be its chance but the more I see "DECIDUEYEEE" the more I worry that the bird may actually be the new Pokemon character...again. ;w;

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I know I've already said this but Decidueye got in as a character in Pokken...and he is/was considered the best character. He has his recognition.

Mimikyu doesn't have anything like that yet for all its popularity. This could be its chance but the more I see "DECIDUEYEEE" the more I worry that the bird may actually be the new Pokemon character...again. ;w;
My thoughts exactly. While I feel Sakurai will choose Mimikyu for the reasons you stated, it isn't predictable anymore and its uniqueness, Decidueye is.. it may represent true want and, that means their willing to buy Smash Switch more for Decidueye than Mimikyu.

Its scary the more you think about it.

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
I tend to justify the grass starter pokemon rep theory not as fact but a valid opinion. Sakurai wants to represent all franchises in smash properly, and really water, fire and grass are the three significant types. Therefor I could see Sakurai prioritising a grass type as the new pokemon rep or having pokemon trainer return (as he represents the three types). Just my opinion

UserKev

Smash Champion
I tend to justify the grass starter pokemon rep theory not as fact but a valid opinion. Sakurai wants to represent all franchises in smash properly, and really water, fire and grass are the three significant types. Therefor I could see Sakurai prioritising a grass type as the new pokemon rep or having pokemon trainer return (as he represents the three types). Just my opinion
But, it HAS been represented in Brawl via Pokémon Trainer and, with the 3 original starters of the entire franchise. It doesn't need to happen again. That's bogus.

Phoebee

Smash Cadet
I think if we're gonna get hung up on starters I'd rather just see Ivysaur and Squirtle come back. I don't think it's too impossible--maybe unlikely but not impossible--to see their return and at least one new Pokémon character, hopefully Mimikyu, get added.

Top Bottom