• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Milktea Gives TEDYouth Talk On Sexism In Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Cuddles

Smash Apprentice
Anita did a lot wrong and has said a lot of awful things and even targets random people for no reason at all.

Anita is one person I do sincerely think is in it for the attention alone, at least at this point. She's not comparable to Milktea at all. Milktea hasn't done anything wrong or out of line, but Anita has on tons of occasions and even a lot of feminists don't like her. She tries to dictate what people can and can't like too, like trying to **** on Bayonetta even though the game is actually considered quite progressive by most women.
what did anita say exactly that targeted random people.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Wow, this comments section is a case study on Godwin's Law. Behold, the greatest understatement of our time!

Very well-delivered speech by Milktea. Certainly, the best way to address the issue is to bring up examples of the inevitable sexist comments expected of any gaming community, unfortunately.

I really like the angle she took with The New Meta, positing to bring up these issues from a perspective that doesn't shame male gamers. It provides a welcome atmosphere that encourages open participation no matter your believes or how informed you are. Because of the gender imbalance presence, it would be unwise to put male gamers under a foil of misogyny, which leads to alienation rather than progress. It's why I tend to level an amount of caution around more firebrand feminists like Anita Sarkeesian. I commend her efforts of speaking out against sexism in gaming and putting a critical feminist lens on video games that just about every other artistic medium gets. But some of her arguments are presented in a way to serve her own agenda rather than looking at it from numerous feminist and conservative angles (e.g., the Bayonetta video.)

However, I feel like Milktea's speech ends up falling flat when it purports to propose solutions through empathy (maybe even sympathy too?) This talk only serves to exemplify her personal experiences and she just leaves a stale message encouraging female Smashers to speak out against sexism and be empathetic about it. Well, how do we address sexism with empathy? How do we encourage others to as well? How are we supposed to address this behavior when confronted with it? How will we go about changing people's minds and informing the Smash community at large about sexism? Don't just be like the lot of TED Talks and go kumbaya with a positive message. You could've made this your manifesto! Give us a framework to begin eradicating the sexist scourge!

@_milktea, if you're reading this, please consider taking a more productive angle in all future presentations. There are plenty of Smashers, like myself, who are willing to help you however we can. Whether that be compiling research, exercising activism, what have you. I'm sure you have the resources and data on your blog to back up your approach. I'll look into it further right now. There's a lot we can work with there and more to find out. Thanks and good luck!

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
oh god this again. i really hope she doent get bashed like anita sarkeeta did.anita got BASHED for saying simple things. i hope the same doesnt happen to her
Dude, there's like 19 guys waiting to tell you why you shouldn't trust feminists and how gamings actually fine the way it is and that sexism is really non-existant.

And then you see the damage that kind of attitude causes, as Milk has shown.

I really don't get why her name is so widely known and how every guy has some axe to grind with her. It's surreal: she did videos, and there are guys comfortable calling her awful things and chastising anyone who dares listen to her, much less agree with any of her criticisms.
Either because there's hundreds of other guys saying this and it's to be popular by hating this universally hated person...or, I dunno, they're not really smart and truly believe that a character design like Bayonetta is somehow empowering to women.

**sorry, this is kinda off-topic in regards to smash, but you mentioned her name once and like 7 guys instantly posted telling you what they think of her without being asked.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
Let me save you one long-winded feminist speech.

There is sexism in gaming because feminists are unattractive, insecure, and have a financial incentive to convince you that there is sexism in gaming. You were born with the wrong sex and should feel bad.
"Yeah, these women are UGLY.
The ultimate shame, being an ugly woman, proof of their lack of credibility.

Also, and I don't have proof outside of crudely made diagrams in MS paint, they totally rob people."

MapleDialga

Smash Rookie
NNID
DialgRe
3DS FC
4811-7170-7397
This is important, and how conveniently timed with this whole Australia debacle. The fact that the video has so many dislikes and needed comments to be disabled is truly a shame too. I love the gaming community but there's so much work that still needs to be done.

:093:
Which Australia debacle?

D

Deleted member

The bad reception is pretty easily explained. Feminism is pretty unpopular due to the tumblrism that has been going on for a while nowadays. Because of this, anything noted as "women's rights" is looked upon as "man-hating sexism".

I listened to the speech, and I agree with what she's saying. Bashing sexist pricks is always a good idea in order to encourage change, but right now it is hard to define the factors of sexism because the border between commenting on gender or even talking about it at this point is offensive to everybody.

Basically, there will always be an excuse to make you seem intolerant wether you're arguing with, against, or about feminism, especially if you're looking for the whole aspect of the truth. And especially if you are a male.

That aside, first steps would be to have more high-quality female smashers around the same levels of HBox and M2K. If there are more representatives that show off such feats, it may well encourage many more women to join the fray. Like it or not, it's going to be hard for a lot of them to join without this sort of predisposition, because the male presence has always been dominant within the community.

tl;dr - It'll probably never be fixed unless a huge bulk of high-skill female smashers suddenly even out the balance of gender-presence.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
o
Wow, this comments section is a case study on Godwin's Law. Behold, the greatest understatement of our time!

Very well-delivered speech by Milktea. Certainly, the best way to address the issue is to bring up examples of the inevitable sexist comments expected of any gaming community, unfortunately.

I really like the angle she took with The New Meta, positing to bring up these issues from a perspective that doesn't shame male gamers. It provides a welcome atmosphere that encourages open participation no matter your believes or how informed you are. Because of the gender imbalance presence, it would be unwise to put male gamers under a foil of misogyny, which leads to alienation rather than progress. It's why I tend to level an amount of caution around more firebrand feminists like Anita Sarkeesian. I commend her efforts of speaking out against sexism in gaming and putting a critical feminist lens on video games that just about every other artistic medium gets. But some of her arguments are presented in a way to serve her own agenda rather than looking at it from numerous feminist and conservative angles (e.g., the Bayonetta video.)

However, I feel like Milktea's speech ends up falling flat when it purports to propose solutions through empathy (maybe even sympathy too?) This talk only serves to exemplify her personal experiences and she just leaves a stale message encouraging female Smashers to speak out against sexism and be empathetic about it. Well, how do we address sexism with empathy? How do we encourage others to as well? How are we supposed to address this behavior when confronted with it? How will we go about changing people's minds and informing the Smash community at large about sexism? Don't just be like the lot of TED Talks and go kumbaya with a positive message. You could've made this your manifesto! Give us a framework to begin eradicating the sexist scourge!

@_milktea, if you're reading this, please consider taking a more productive angle in all future presentations. There are plenty of Smashers, like myself, who are willing to help you however we can. Whether that be compiling research, exercising activism, what have you. I'm sure you have the resources and data on your blog to back up your approach. I'll look into it further right now. There's a lot we can work with there and more to find out. Thanks and good luck!
Ok.

This has been a recurring theme, "don't make a drama/don't complain/be more productive". Please stop saying this.

I've seen this in every criticism of the video thus far, and I have to say, I don't get why this is a thing.

She shouldn't have to have anything done about it in the first place, she entered the community same as everyone else, and was treated differently because of her gender, for better or worse.

She is raising awareness of this so smashers unaware/don't believe that there is sexism in the community can see that there is a problem, and only the community can help this issue. She is doing a lot, taking experiences in and talking about it as much as possible to inspire debate and to change a long-unquestioned and untouched atmosphere of gaming where women are some kind of unicorn, so it's totally given that women as a minority in the community will get sexist crap and no one can do anything about that. That is terrible that this is an accepted reality.

She's not doing this for attention or by any means for her own gain (shock, I know), but for female smashers who wish to join the scene, but feel discouraged by sexism that largely goes unpunished and is seen as something only minimally offensive.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
The bad reception is pretty easily explained. Feminism is pretty unpopular due to the tumblrism that has been going on for a while nowadays. Because of this, anything noted as "women's rights" is looked upon as "man-hating sexism".

I listened to the speech, and I agree with what she's saying. Bashing sexist pricks is always a good idea in order to encourage change, but right now it is hard to define the factors of sexism because the border between commenting on gender or even talking about it at this point is offensive to everybody.

Basically, there will always be an excuse to make you seem intolerant wether you're arguing with, against, or about feminism, especially if you're looking for the whole aspect of the truth. And especially if you are a male.

That aside, first steps would be to have more high-quality female smashers around the same levels of HBox and M2K. If there are more representatives that show off such feats, it may well encourage many more women to join the fray. Like it or not, it's going to be hard for a lot of them to join without this sort of predisposition, because the male presence has always been dominant within the community.

tl;dr - It'll probably never be fixed unless a huge bulk of high-skill female smashers suddenly even out the balance of gender-presence.
Yeah, there's alot of people who would happily frame certain Tumblr users as "Modern Feminism".
What utter junk. But it's effective junk, and like you've said, it's dragged feminism into "man-hate", and that's hardly encouraging.

I don't we should wait for some holy triad of female smash-gods, but instead reshape our own community to be more inclusive of gamers who can easily be targeted by sexism. That way, many female gamers can find competitive smash as easy to sit into as I did, without trouble because of my gender. Some kind of god-tier smash women would kind of create a perception that female smashers had to be amazing or be utterly ignored; the same thing happened when a "women's smash tournament" was theorised a year back at some big con.
It had good intentions, but cons far outweighed the pros.

Sorry, I keep posting on this thread, but this is important and I want to keep debate going, I don't want this to fall flat against a wall of indifference like Lilo's treatment at press start.

YGK

Smash Cadet
Normally I refrain from commenting on conversations like this, but there are a few points I feel should be made:

Her video is not targeted at the smash community, it isn't saying smashers are more sexist than other gamers. The presentation is for the benefit of gamers everywhere, across every platform, genre, and community. The smash community is actually portrayed in a fairly positive way, she takes time to point out the great cultural diversity and accepting nature of the community.

What some comments are calling "attention seeking" is actually what grown-ups call "publicizing". She co-founded an organization dedicated to raising awareness of these issues, and to engage with the problems they see in a constructive way. Every time she gets to tell her story through a new platform she spreads the message to new people. If she only wanted to raise awareness within the smash community, one or two news items on smash boards would do nicely, but she is trying to reach a much, much larger audience, so she has a very good reason to repeat her message as many times as possible across as many platforms as she can.

Most gaming communities, including smash, have a significant online component, so internet comments do matter. To feel like they are welcomed by the community, someone should be treated well online as well as offline. There will always be trolls, jerks, and ignorant people on the internet, but we don't need to just tolerate them, we can call them out and make it clear to female users that the community at large is aware that this sort of behavior can make them feel uncomfortable and unwelcome, even if it's in the form of "anonymous internet comments".

Milktea treated the smash community pretty well in her video, and I think we should do our best to show everyone why. I'd love to see a communal effort to get this video more views, and shift the Like/Dislike ratio in a positive way. If we can raise $100,000 + to fight cancer, I think we can get people to watch a YouTube video. In fact, that seems like something we are uniquely well equipped to do.

EDIT:
@ KhanYe KhanYe : Any chance you could add a note to the article encouraging people to open the video on YouTube and rate it? I would love to see the smash community take a more active role supporting one of our own in such a noble effort.

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
o

Ok.

This has been a recurring theme, "don't make a drama/don't complain/be more productive". Please stop saying this.

I've seen this in every criticism of the video thus far, and I have to say, I don't get why this is a thing.

She shouldn't have to have anything done about it in the first place, she entered the community same as everyone else, and was treated differently because of her gender, for better or worse.

She is raising awareness of this so smashers unaware/don't believe that there is sexism in the community can see that there is a problem, and only the community can help this issue. She is doing a lot, taking experiences in and talking about it as much as possible to inspire debate and to change a long-unquestioned and untouched atmosphere of gaming where women are some kind of unicorn, so it's totally given that women as a minority in the community will get sexist crap and no one can do anything about that. That is terrible that this is an accepted reality.

She's not doing this for attention or by any means for her own gain (shock, I know), but for female smashers who wish to join the scene, but feel discouraged by sexism that largely goes unpunished and is seen as something only minimally offensive.
You know why I used that criticism? Because I believe in her cause and I am offering constructive feedback in hopes to strengthen it. It's ultimately up to her if she wants to look into my proposition further.

She has a very interesting approach with combating sexism with empathy, and not only could the uninitiated TED Talk crowd have known her experience, but could have ways to deal with sexism too.

Never said she was doing it for attention either, so don't put words into my mouth. If sexism is holding back more females from joining the Smash scene, then what good is it just acknowledging its there if you don't give people ways to deal with it? That's how uncomfortable **** festers. It's not like any female is guaranteed to encounter sexism or special treatment just going to a tourney. But when it comes up, more people should at least have a framework to work around it.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
The one issue I have with this is the assumption that the reason for the fact that Smash and competitive gaming in general is male-dominated is due to sexism, either in the gaming community or society as a whole. The fact of the matter is that equality does not exist in the real world, and men and women are just plain wired differently and tend to gravitate toward different things. Of course some women are interested in competitive gaming and ought to be treated with the utmost respect, but the notion that all of the measured differences between the sexes are solely due to culture/environment and not biology just strikes me as an elaborate attempt to explain away truths about the world you might find unpleasant. The reality is that the type of people who are going to bother to sit down and invest time into mastering video game techs are more likely to be introverts, as extroverts would generally rather be going out and socializing, and males are more likely to be introverts, as evidenced by the fact that the overwhelming majority of cases of Autism Spectrum Disorder are male. Of course this is clearly not true for every single individual, and cultural factors might reinforce this trend, but this explanation seems to make more sense to me based on my own personal experiences.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Normally I refrain from commenting on conversations like this, but there are a few points I feel should be made:

Her video is not targeted at the smash community, it isn't saying smashers are more sexist than other gamers. The presentation is for the benefit of gamers everywhere, across every platform, genre, and community. The smash community is actually portrayed in a fairly positive way, she takes time to point out the great cultural diversity and accepting nature of the community.

What some comments are calling "attention seeking" is actually what grown-ups call "publicizing". She co-founded an organization dedicated to raising awareness of these issues, and to engage with the problems they see in a constructive way. Every time she gets to tell her story through a new platform she spreads the message to new people. If she only wanted to raise awareness within the smash community, one or two news items on smash boards would do nicely, but she is trying to reach a much, much larger audience, so she has a very good reason to repeat her message as many times as possible across as many platforms as she can.

Most gaming communities, including smash, have a significant online component, so internet comments do matter. To feel like they are welcomed by the community, someone should be treated well online as well as offline. There will always be trolls, jerks, and ignorant people on the internet, but we don't need to just tolerate them, we can call them out and make it clear to female users that the community at large is aware that this sort of behavior can make them feel uncomfortable and unwelcome, even if it's in the form of "anonymous internet comments".

Milktea treated the smash community pretty well in her video, and I think we should do our best to show everyone why. I'd love to see a communal effort to get this video more views, and shift the Like/Dislike ratio in a positive way. If we can raise $100,000 + to fight cancer, I think we can get people to watch a YouTube video. In fact, that seems like something we are uniquely well equipped to do.

EDIT:
@ KhanYe KhanYe : Any chance you could add a note to the article encouraging people to open the video on YouTube and rate it? I would love to see the smash community take a more active role supporting one of our own in such a noble effort.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
You know why I used that criticism? Because I believe in her cause and I am offering constructive feedback in hopes to strengthen it. It's ultimately up to her if she wants to look into my proposition further.

She has a very interesting approach with combating sexism with empathy, and not only could the uninitiated TED Talk crowd have known her experience, but could have ways to deal with sexism too.

Never said she was doing it for attention either, so don't put words into my mouth. If sexism is holding back more females from joining the Smash scene, then what good is it just acknowledging its there if you don't give people ways to deal with it? That's how uncomfortable **** festers. It's not like any female is guaranteed to encounter sexism or special treatment just going to a tourney. But when it comes up, more people should at least have a framework to work around it.
Sorry, I misread you point about her own experiences.
My mistake, I'm really sorry.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Ok.
What I'm getting at, is that if guys keep on pestering her and paying her attention solely for the fact that she is female, she really should cause some drama.

BECAUSE IT NEVER HAPPENS TO MALE PLAYERS. EVER.

Imagine this scenario, if you will:

Female smasher plays at Xanadu, does well against some high ranking player (Boss, Seagull, Officer etc.) and goes to the youtube channel to see the game again and what people think of it, as some helpfuls usually leave advice to aid a players game.
However, she sees lots of sexist remarks, reducing attention to her actual play at the tournament and focusing instead on her physical figure (I will link you actual comments and actual videos.)
However, she chooses to ignore it, and focuses on the helpful comments.
Next Smash weekly, she plays, and the same comments go up again.
It's irritating that these comments are usually the most liked in the whole section, and it looks like the Twitch chat was no different. But it's only some smashers, and she doesn't want to offend male smashers who actually aren't sexist if she makes a complaint about it.

And then it happens next week. And the week after that. And the next one.

It doesn't appear on male Smashers videos at all, and those seem to get more serious attention towards their gameplay and use of the characters than she does.

But, she can't complain. Otherwise, it's drama.

So, after weeks and weeks of seeing this, she stops looking at her videos altogether, and focuses on talking to attendees at tourney instead, because they're not gonna behave like these guys. They understand that she's just a smasher like them, and that competitive gaming is totally accepting towards female and male gamers alike, and she's not gonna behave like that woman. She's cool.

...do you see where I'm going with this? This was the situation MilkTea, and many female gamers I have met over years of attending cons were in.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know that this really is your opinion, and you really don't see sexism in Smash as a big or even harmful thing. I know you want to focus on competitive smash above all else, because gameplay is the only thing that matters in that regard, and if we begin talking about sexism in smash, it's something that's totally not relevant within the sphere in gaming, because its only perpetrated by guys who are sexist and should just play the game like everyone else.

But it is harmful. It doesn't affect you, and theres an atmosphere of "dont stir up trouble not relevant to gameplay", but you need to break that.
Be a good representative of the community and listen to one of it's most compassionate members.

She is looking for attention, but it's not for her sake, it's for the community. Could you help to make it better?
You should see some of the harsh youtube comments on my vids. They're deplorable. It has nothing to do with my gender tho. What's those people's excuse?

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
You should see some of the harsh youtube comments on my vids. They're deplorable. It has nothing to do with my gender tho. What's those people's excuse?
They are just plain rude, and there's no excuse for being rude when someone's working hard to supply freely available content for anyone's entertainment. (I've seen em, they're ******** about tiers and stuff, but understand that it's still horrible to read.)

The difference between comments on someones play and someones gender? Comments like this and the way they're rewarded (this comment still hasn't been deleted.):

Last edited:

EarthShaker

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3969-6503-4598
I don't know what to think, it was a great Ted Talk and from what she said she seems just. I just know that usually these things end up being a witch burning of male gamers blaming all of them for what a few ignorant people do. I think I actually agree with her, she has been in the community for years and even though that colory hair is weird, I am in agreement with her points.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
I don't know what to think, it was a great Ted Talk and from what she said she seems just. I just know that usually these things end up being a witch burning of male gamers blaming all of them for what a few ignorant people do. I think I actually agree with her, she has been in the community for years and even though that colory hair is weird, I am in agreement with her points.
Don't be afraid of being labelled something you know you're not.

If you believe this is a good cause, then pursue it. Anyone who says otherwise is willfully misunderstanding you.

Last edited:

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
They are just plain rude, and there's no excuse for being rude when someone's working hard to supply freely available content for anyone's entertainment. (I've seen em, they're *****ing about tiers and stuff, but understand that it's still horrible to read.)

The difference between comments on someones play and someones gender? Comments like this and the way they're rewarded (this comment still hasn't been deleted.):
Jtanic's a guy whose played since 04. He has no excuse LOL. Also, that comment is on my girlfriend's video. Why are people allowed to say I should die or that I'm utter trash? I think all this proves is that anonymity allows people to say whatever they want because they realize there's no repercussion for doing so. Youtube comment culture is horrendous.

EarthShaker

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3969-6503-4598
Why does her video have so many thumbs down? I would think this would be something people would unanimously support without a second thought.
People are just worried this will be another hate group. I personally believe in this person to actually bring female players into the scene without degrading males at all, but usually groups like this do that... harshly. It happens so frequently in groups like this a lot of people have a sort of instant backlash to anything like this. That is just my guess as to why it has so many dislikes, blame other people who did campaigns of hate speech.

aliensalmon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aliensalmon
3DS FC
1204-0174-6540
Very good presentation! I agree with what she had to say!

EarthShaker

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3969-6503-4598
Don't be afraid of being labelled something you know you're not.

If you believe this is a good cause, then pursue it. Anyone who says otherwise is willfully misunderstanding you.
It isn't that it is just by this point, seeing all the other groups that try to get girls into gaming, I just rarely trust them anymore. They usually becoming pits of hate speech in some form of irony.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
It's cuz you're such a scrub, so obvious. How dare you suggest that men are not a protected class.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
People are just worried this will be another hate group. I personally believe in this person to actually bring female players into the scene without degrading males at all, but usually groups like this do that... harshly. It happens so frequently in groups like this a lot of people have a sort of instant backlash to anything like this. That is just my guess as to why it has so many dislikes, blame other people who did campaigns of hate speech.
You'd be surprised.
Also...I am going to tell you that feminists leading war againts the innocent men of the internet is kind of not a thing at all. Don't be shocked.

I don't think there was ever a worry that males would be hated or degraded, but rather played in smash.

The dislikes are usually the same jerks who make a hobby out of furnishing sexist opinions and just think that Tea trying to inspire change is a plea for attention because basically she's a woman and probably has a tumlbr, and that obviously warrants the hell fires of 1,000 dislikes.

EarthShaker

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3969-6503-4598
You'd be surprised.
Also...I am going to tell you that feminists leading war againts the innocent men of the internet is kind of not a thing at all. Don't be shocked.

I don't think there was ever a worry that males would be hated or degraded, but rather played in smash.

The dislikes are usually the same jerks who make a hobby out of furnishing sexist opinions and just think that Tea trying to inspire change is a plea for attention because basically she's a woman and probably has a tumlbr, and that obviously warrants the hell fires of 1,000 dislikes.
I don't know though, I have casually talked to feminists before and they usually disclose my opinion saying I can't be discriminated on just on the basis that I have aspergers and am a male. I honestly think hate exists in all kinds of communities and I just hope that if we do get a proper movement to bring justice to the sexism in the community it doesn't lose set of its real goal and just start attacking people.
Also I mean it seriously, I have had people tell me my opinions don't matter, and that I deserve to die just because I am a male (One even added an ugly one at that). It could be because they are just people at my school, but ever since then I don't trust social groups that much anymore.

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
Jtanic's a guy whose played since 04. He has no excuse LOL. Also, that comment is on my girlfriend's video. Why are people allowed to say I should die or that I'm utter trash? I think all this proves is that anonymity allows people to say whatever they want because they realize there's no repercussion for doing so. Youtube comment culture is horrendous.
Yeah, youtube comment section is kind of the a cesspool of scum and villainy as well as being the root of all evil.

That comment...irked me. Considerably.
I tried to tell that guy what he was doing was totally not cool, and he just kept coming back and even got supported for doing it.
I love the channel because new players can get feedback from other players, and I understand that there is a huge following of hate for very brittle reasoning.
But comments like that are another level of horrible, as they invalidate any reason for having played, because to guys like this, that's just not important.
Sorry your girlfriend had to read that.

bpjk27

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4012-4965-4738
I think it's important to remember that it's not all doom and gloom and that some women have had very positive experiences https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/336gw5/the_smash_community_is_awesome_to_female_gamers/
People should work to make sure everyone has this impression.

Either because there's hundreds of other guys saying this and it's to be popular by hating this universally hated person...or, I dunno, they're not really smart and truly believe that a character design like Bayonetta is somehow empowering to women.

Well if a paper like the Guardian says that Bayonetta is a strong female character, it probably isn't the most ridiculous claim.http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/aug/05/lara-croft-bayonetta-female-games

Blue Sun Studios

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueSunStudios
3DS FC
4768-8305-0092
For everyone saying that she's not seeking attention, you know that what's his name is going to spout
They're either assholes who get off on making others feel like sh*t or they feel like **** themselves and try to make themselves feel better by making others feel miserable like them. Either way it's virtually everywhere and it's pretty ****ing sad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
User comments on any website are horrendous...with Smashboards being an exception obv :3

Yahoo comments are confirmed to kill brain cells.

For everyone saying that she's not seeking attention, you know that what's his name is going to spout

They're either assholes who get off on making others feel like **** or they feel like **** themselves and try to make themselves feel better by making others feel miserable like them. Either way it's virtually everywhere and it's pretty ****ing sad.
Continuing to use asteriks to censor dodge is going to give you warnings or infractions. It is against the site rules to censor dodge so just let the censor do its job.

Last edited:

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
I don't know though, I have casually talked to feminists before and they usually disclose my opinion saying I can't be discriminated on just on the basis that I have aspergers and am a male. I honestly think hate exists in all kinds of communities and I just hope that if we do get a proper movement to bring justice to the sexism in the community it doesn't lose set of its real goal and just start attacking people.
Also I mean it seriously, I have had people tell me my opinions don't matter, and that I deserve to die just because I am a male (One even added an ugly one at that). It could be because they are just people at my school, but ever since then I don't trust social groups that much anymore.
I'm a feminist.
I don't think you should die.

I think you put forward a careful response to Tea's video, and you said what you wanted to. You believed what she said, and you agreed with it.

Many people don't even reach that part.

EarthShaker

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3969-6503-4598
I'm a feminist.
I don't think you should die.

I think you put forward a careful response to Tea's video, and you said what you wanted to. You believed what she said, and you agreed with it.

Many people don't even reach that part.
Well, I will support her, but I am scared I will run into more people like the ones I met. I don't really want to be on anyones bad side I just want to play a game.

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Welp, this discussion is going way off the rails.

I'll be closing this and handing out the appropriate warnings over the next couple of hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom