• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Pic Thread: 2nd Edition (Updated 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Not a character. Totally filler.

I hope you realize this IS information for the game. This is NOT FILLER.

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
You're missing his point. When wearing the same outfit (the classic green outfit), it's impossible to tell the Links from Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Four Swords, Four Swords Adventures and Minish Cap apart, thanks to those games having the same art style.

Of course, the Outset outfit and the Engineer outfit would tell them apart. Same for Minish Cap Link with Ezlo. Otherwise, you couldn't tell them apart.

Same cannot be said for Twilight Princess Link and Skyward Sword Link, since both have different art styles.

However, I will stress, and not for the first time, that Link in Smash is a composite character. Sure, on the Zelda canon, they're separate incarnations of the hero (different people), but in Smash, Link draws inspiration from all Links. Same for Zelda and Toon Link.

I'd like to see you do better. :rolleyes:

It's human nature to complain over trivial things. :smirk:

Because Link wearing a hat will, you know, ruin the game forever. :rolleyes:
I could probably remove the damn hat after watching like 5 15mins 3DSMax tutorials on Youtube, what's the point of having this if he still has the hat? One of the coolest things about Outset Link in PM is that he doesn't have the hat.

mkwLM

Smash Rookie
I could probably remove the damn hat after watching like 5 15mins 3DSMax tutorials on Youtube, what's the point of having this if he still has the hat? One of the coolest things about Outset Link in PM is that he doesn't have the hat.
I don't understand why you'd complain that the costume isn't faithful enough, there is a precedent for these types of color swaps in previous Smash games. Why would you expect more out of the game?

Hyruleslink

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know what happened to the link to the daily picture on the Smash website? The one that is a bit larger than the one on the front page and removes the watermark?

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I don't understand why you'd complain that the costume isn't faithful enough, there is a precedent for these types of color swaps in previous Smash games. Why would you expect more out of the game?
Because it's Smash4 and this is 2014? If you're gonna do something, do it right or don't do it at all.

mkwLM

Smash Rookie
Because it's Smash4 and this is 2014? If you're gonna do something, do it right or don't do it at all.
So an extra palette swap is worse than no palette swap because it doesn't meet your arbitrary demands?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
It really wouldn't be too hard to remove the hat (in fact it wouldn't need to be removed, just colored transparently)
But it's not like it really matters too much. Wouldn't see the need in getting antsy about people expecting model variations at this point.

Last edited:
Sometimes I really don't understand the fandom. Nobody realized we were entitled to a perfect recreation of the Skyward Sword costume until Sakurai mentioned it, now all of a sudden he's let us down by failing to remove Link's hat. He could have not put in the costume at all and we wouldn't have known the difference, you know.

Sakurai isn't here, man. Your amazing acceptance of a hat isn't going to make him jump out of the computer and shake your hand.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
Wouldn't removing the hat require creating the back of Link's head, with its hair and all? It doesn't seem to be a no-effort scenario.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
*Sigh* Every day that passes w/o any new Ike info tears me up a little on the inside :(

But I can't complain with this PotD. It's nice that we're actually getting alternate costumes vs palette swaps only. Gives me more hope for Ike receiving at least his Vanguard/Lord class design :)

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Nice... civilian SS clothes. With this, I have more hope for an Outset Island Toon Link.

spader13

Smash Journeyman
Personally, if the choice were between most of the veterans getting a palette swap that imitates a full costume change or getting a true SS costume for Link (and maybe having time for a handful of other characters to get the same treatment), I'd go with more characters getting a palette swap like Link. I know the development time isn't quite so neatly broken down like that, but a costume perfectly true to the source game just isn't that important to me, especially since I usually settle into the same set of 1-2 costumes for a character and rarely deviate other than selecting random.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This just adds more evidence that everyone is going to get special ALTs so I don't see what so many people are getting bent out of shape about. I also wouldn't be surprised if some ALTs were special DLC options either.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
*Sigh* Every day that passes w/o any new Ike info tears me up a little on the inside :(

But I can't complain with this PotD. It's nice that we're actually getting alternate costumes vs palette swaps only. Gives me more hope for Ike receiving at least his Vanguard/Lord class design :)
I have a lot of hopes for costumes now.

This may by unlike other palette swaps (more like a texture swap, even though most texture swaps are palette swaps), but it's not a different model, so I guess it's a borderline costume. Anyway, it looks pretty good and faithful enough to the original.

And yeah, Ike could have a lot of options for costumes. PoR Ranger Ike, PoR Lord Ike, RD Hero Ike (default), RD Vanguard Ike and Awakening Ike. It would be good enough if there was a Vanguard option.

Nice... civilian SS clothes. With this, I have more hope for an Outset Island Toon Link.
This gives me hope for a lot of character alts. Anyway, I hope Link still has the Dark Link color, but it could be a little overhauled by changing the sword's color as well (since it didn't in Brawl and looked odd). And, of course, the Final Smash could turn the Triforce's color from a golden light effect to a purple/black darkness effect. That would be great.

And I will patiently wait for Dark Pit to be an alt for Pit... With this picture, it becomes an increasingly likely possibility.

(Should be obvious by now that I like dark counterparts of characters a lot...)

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I have a lot of hopes for costumes now.

This may by unlike other palette swaps (more like a texture swap, even though most texture swaps are palette swaps), but it's not a different model, so I guess it's a borderline costume. Anyway, it looks pretty good and faithful enough to the original.

And yeah, Ike could have a lot of options for costumes. PoR Ranger Ike, PoR Lord Ike, RD Hero Ike (default), RD Vanguard Ike and Awakening Ike. It would be good enough if there was a Vanguard option.

This gives me hope for a lot of character alts. Anyway, I hope Link still has the Dark Link color, but it could be a little overhauled by changing the sword's color as well (since it didn't in Brawl and looked odd). And, of course, the Final Smash could turn the Triforce's color from a golden light effect to a purple/black darkness effect. That would be great.

And I will patiently wait for Dark Pit to be an alt for Pit... With this picture, it becomes an increasingly likely possibility.

(Should be obvious by now that I like dark counterparts of characters a lot...)
Speaking of dark counterparts, I'd love to see Dark Bowser too. A true, Dark Pit alt is definitely likely this go 'round.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Well, I like it.

Now I just hope that the Shiny Colors for the Pokémen will actually have shine effects on them. ^^ But they won't, as it seems Black Greninja don't.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I guess now is a good time to ask, but why do people want an Outset Toon Link costume so much? It's just Toon Link with a blue shirt and without his hat, I've never gotten the fuzz about it.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I guess now is a good time to ask, but why do people want an Outset Toon Link costume so much? It's just Toon Link with a blue shirt and without his hat, I've never gotten the fuzz about it.
Uh... People like it?

Plus, you can never have too many costumes. :p

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Uh... People like it?

Plus, you can never have too many costumes. :p
It just seems a bit bland, there is an overwhelming amount of people who suggest it whenever alt costumes are brought up over more varied things like Masked Dedede, so I thought there maybe was more to it in Wind Waker itself as I haven't played it.

Last edited:
Well, I personally like it, but since it was actually playable in Wind Waker it's remembered more fondly. And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the first canon "different outfit." I mean, Link wore different color versions of the same tunic, but outside of body altering transformations this was the first time Link appeared in a outfit other then that games variation of the traditional green tunic,

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It's the costume that really makes the most sense for Toon Link if he where to get alts, either that or the conductors outfit.

I personally really like it and I enjoyed using it at the second quest during Wind Waker. Perhaps that's where most got their fondness for that outfit as well. Eitherway, I think Toon Link should have the Outset clothing anyway, perhaps the Conductors outfit too if they can.
Well, I personally like it, but since it was actually playable in Wind Waker it's remembered more fondly. And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the first canon "different outfit." I mean, Link wore different color versions of the same tunic, but outside of body altering transformations this was the first time Link appeared in a outfit other then that games variation of the traditional green tunic,
Yeah this was also the first time Link had worn something other than another alternate coloured or transforming variation of the iconic Green Tunic if I recall correctly.

Espio264

Smash Ace
WTF? He's got a hat? With this outfit?

I'm so furious I'm gonna go to the LIDS at the mall and **** in all the hats. And it's all your fault SAKURAI!

Nah. But seriously, Link looks great. Hopefully this bodes well for the rest of the cast.
Happiness is an Assault suit Falco. Bang. Bang. Shoot. Shoot.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
Updated.

I'm kinda disappointed at the attempt to pass this off as the Skyward Sword Link's normal clothes. I don't understand why they couldn't just make them look like the actual thing, rather than just editing his tunic. At least remove the hat! I just hope other characters don't get similar treatment with their alternate costumes.

Last edited:

YoshiSonic

Smash Ace
Still wishing for a classic sonic alt.

My hope is fueled on Sakurai being efficient with the old, old characters, it would be so cool if this guy came back for smashing.

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Updated.

I'm kind disappointed at the attempt to pass this off as the Skyward Sword Link's normal clothes. I don't understand why they couldn't just make them look like the actual thing, rather than just editing his tunic. At least remove the hat! I just hope other characters don't get similar treatment with their alternate costumes.
It's...not...an alt...costume...for god's sake.
Still wishing for a classic sonic alt.

My hope is fueled on Sakurai being efficient with the old, old characters, it would be so cool if this guy came back for smashing.
Wouldn't that change hitboxes.

Malion

Smash Ace
Toon Link's costumes traditionally mirror regular Link's costumes. To a point.

I mean we got Dark Toon Link for goodness sake.

That makes me hopeful we'll get some sort of casual recolour....

Big twist probably and we'll get a SS Casual Link recolour for Toon Link.

<

YoshiSonic

Smash Ace
Wouldn't that change hitboxes.
Well there goes my hopes for Mini mario from Mario bros (with hat) or Wii U and 3ds (without hat) as well. Dang it.

Ugh..still hoping, but now it seems impossible for them to work that hard.

Last edited:

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Toon Link's costumes traditionally mirror regular Link's costumes. To a point.

I mean we got Dark Toon Link for goodness sake.

That makes me hopeful we'll get some sort of casual recolour....

Big twist probably and we'll get a SS Casual Link recolour for Toon Link.

<
I can't decide if Happy Mask Salesman or Zelda Link is better.
Well there goes my hopes for Mini mario from Mario bros (with hat) or Wii U and 3ds (without hat) as well. Dang it.

Ugh..still hoping, but now it seems impossible for them to work that hard.
Sorry man.:(

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
So, if I'm not mistaken, if the caption had just said this was a new palette for Link and had no mention of Skyward Sword, people wouldn't be complaining...I suppose to be fair, it hardly looks like the civilian clothes from SS but it's amusing that most of the complaints are about a hat. Then again what do I care, sure we have this new palette but then we have this beautiful thing

Last edited:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I think this is fantastic, but there should be an alt where Link doesn't have his hat, then having his casual clothes would make sense.

Malion

Smash Ace
There is a purple regular link finally? Nice.

I wonder if they'll make a classic NES Link recolour for regular link too.

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
It'll be nice to have more options of palette swaps, sure, but it is pretty damning towards having more "alternate costumes."

That said, Dr. Mario wouldn't be hard with the hat removal, considering Mario removes his hat as a taunt anyway. So they've modeled the back of his head.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
So, if I'm not mistaken, if the caption had just said this was a new palette for Link and had no mention of Skyward Sword, people wouldn't be complaining...I suppose to be fair, it hardly looks like the civilian clothes from SS but it's amusing that most of the complaints are about a hat. Then again what do I care, sure we have this new palette but then we have this beautiful thing

Ooh I like the shield in that one too. I don't think I caught that palette swap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom