• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Pic Thread: 2nd Edition (Updated 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
Well, Friday updates for me are Thursday at 11PM usually...so depending on time zone? Also, I think some Nintendo Directs were on Thursdays...
They're around the same time for me. Perhaps we live in the same area?

Edit: Oh wait, I'm supposed to be dead. According to someone...I seem to have forgotten.

Last edited:

Tailisu10

Smash Journeyman
Kinda weird how his tunic is like that instead of the usual single color, hope we get more alt. colors like that.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
I'm guessing really cool alternate textures like this are probably going to everybody, even Wire Frame Mac is just a retexture of his basic model. This is awesome but I hope there's a healthy number of alternate models too, like WFT, Villager, and Wario have.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The palette swap looks amazing. I kid you not. Though he could have gone a step farther and edited the model too.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Wait a sec, I just realized that we've got Twilight Princess Link with a color scheme based off of Skyward Sword Link. Eh?

Further proof that canon is but a mere insignificance to the world of Smash.

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I think that keeping the model unchanged makes it look more exotic. It's less like something you would actually see in a Zelda, and more something you would see in Smash Bros.

E.G. Marth, Roy, and Ike referencing other units and characters with their colorations. I like it.

Last edited:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
So Villager, Little Mac, Link, Wii Fit Trainer and, well, Mii Fighter have actual alternate costumes.
Only WFT actually changes the model but it's better than nothing.
Bring Dr. Mario back Sakurai.

It's great and all, but why didn't they take off the hat? It's such a petty thing to complain about, which makes it that much more nagging. Awesome look, but all I see is hat. :facepalm:

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
The palette swap looks amazing. I kid you not. Though he could have gone a step farther and edited the model too.
Kinda curious as to why they didn't actually. I assume they just didn't want to make the model or they thought he didn't look good in a battle in just his civilian clothes (but then we have villager in civilian clothing so probably not)

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
This potd is hit or miss for me. I won't deny that it looks neat, green tunic with green pants looks a bit odd though. The hit or miss is that I've only ever used Link in Melee and P:M so if I don't use him in this game I'll miss out on seeing this outfit more.

Staarih

Smash Master
Looks cool, but if they wanted to go all the way, they should have removed the hat. But I guess a simple palette swap like this is just easier to implement, so I'll take it.

Outset Toon Link wish grows stronger now. Though I guess if that ever were to happen, he'd probably still have his hat on and it would be a mere palette swap like this one.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
NNID
Nin-Knight
Looks cool, but if they wanted to go all the way, they should have removed the hat. But I guess a simple palette swap like this is just easier to implement, so I'll take it.

Outset Toon Link wish grows stronger now. Though I guess if that ever were to happen, he'd probably still have his hat on and it would be a mere palette swap like this one.
Though, if that were the case, it would not be much different from his blue outfit. Yeah it would look a little nicer, but it would just be another "blue outfit."

So, for Toon Link, if he has the "just a recolor" thing going on as well, then he might be better suited to Engineer Link. You know, the one that gets replaced by Alfonso?

It would look better in tunic form. Dark blue with some red and other colors on it in it. It'd look real good.

Last edited:

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Who the hell paints on their tunic, anyway?
Not too fond of it. It looks like pre-model hacked Brawl where custom textures were painted on the original models. Would have been super nice having the actual model in as an alt.

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
That's a pretty awesome recolor. I think people viewing the hat as a flaw are kinda looking at it backwards. Don't look at the hat as an error in the recreation of how Link looked early in SS; look at the overall costume as a cool way Link can look inspired by SS. I think Link looks better this way than he looked at the beginning of SS so I definitely prefer this over a truly faithful costume, and I definitely hope to see a lot more characters get this kind of love in the final release.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
That's a pretty awesome recolor. I think people viewing the hat as a flaw are kinda looking at it backwards. Don't look at the hat as an error in the recreation of how Link looked early in SS; look at the overall costume as a cool way Link can look inspired by SS. I think Link looks better this way than he looked at the beginning of SS so I definitely prefer this over a truly faithful costume, and I definitely hope to see a lot more characters get this kind of love in the final release.
While I understand and respect this view, especially given how civilian clothes Link never got any items besides the practice sword, I feel it's just not the same in other cases, such as Outset/Hero Mode Toon Link. Much like how people vastly preferred Wario's classic look rather than his WarioWare appearance, actual alternate costumes seemed like the better alternative to badly-recolored palette swaps (to each their own, but looking closely at the tunic/"symbols" overlapping actual folds makes it seem off).

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
For comparison
Well it looks fine I guess, though I kinda wish they went the extra mile and removed the hat and made his sleeve's longer but ah well...

At least Toon Link getting at least his Outset Island or Train Conductor outfit or Zelda in one of her Skyward Sword outfits has become more likely..... even if they would just be mere colour swaps.... :T

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Though it's just a texture swap, this new costume looks great and is pretty faithful to the original outfit. I can't say I'm disappointed.

On the contrary, this picture has gotten me excited for more character costumes and colors. I'm starting to get the feeling characters will have more than 6 color swaps, which would be step up from Brawl.

Last edited:

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
I really don't know what to think of this outfit. It's not bad. It's kinda bad. It's weird.

Like a texture replacement seems pretty shoddy if it's not the actual outfit. It looks user-modded to me.

Ah well.

Silvera

Jammin' Jammies
3DS FC
4914-7114-2601
Switch FC
SW-2130-5650-7930
For comparison
Well it looks fine I guess, though I kinda wish they went the extra mile and removed the hat and made his sleeve's longer but ah well...

At least Toon Link getting at least his Outset Island or Train Conductor outfit or Zelda in one of her Skyward Sword outfits has become more likely..... even if they would just be mere colour swaps.... :T
If Toon Link goes the same way as Link did, his Outset outfit would look like this.

But at least it's close to what it should look, even with the hat on.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If Toon Link goes the same way as Link did, his Outset outfit would look like this.

Yeah I suppose so, though he would probably keep the belt. If he does also get the Conductor Outfit, hopefully they will at least change his hat. :T

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Well, Toon Link's model seems easier to edit than editing the Twilight Princess model to have an outfit from Skyward Sword.

With Toon Link, they already have source material to work on and can implement the outfits with more ease.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
NNID
Nin-Knight

Yeah I suppose so, though he would probably keep the belt. Though if he does also get the Conductor Outfit, hopefully they will at least change his hat. :T
Compare to the alternate suggestion of Engineer.

I think they both look good.

The way I see it, since technically it's TP Link, it would be very odd if he wore the exact outfit of SS Link. (Besides, Link always looks better with a hat)

By doing this, they honor the latter while preserving the former. Because they are, afterall, two different Links. Yes, it looks like a texture hack done by a fan. But remember, this is an additional color palette. Sakurai did not say this was Link's alternate outfit. (That is, if Link gets one)

It's just another color option is all. Mario always had a color option based off Wario, Falcon always had an option based off of Blood Falcon, and Marth had one based off of Leif. None of these outfits perfectly matched the originals, because they were merely color choices. And we've never had a problem with these before.

What we have here is another color choice for Link. One that I will gladly take into battle. Though I'm curious what color his shield is. (Link's red color now turns the Hylian Shield red as well. It resembles the Hero's Shield from WW)

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Compare to the alternate suggestion of Engineer.

I think they both look good.

The way I see it, since technically it's TP Link, it would be very odd if he wore the exact outfit of SS Link. (Besides, Link always looks better with a hat)

By doing this, they honor the latter while preserving the former. Because they are, afterall, two different Links. Yes, it looks like a texture hack done by a fan. But remember, this is an additional color palette. Sakurai did not say this was Link's alternate outfit. (That is, if Link gets one)

It's just another color option is all. Mario always had a color option based off Wario, Falcon always had an option based off of Blood Falcon, and Marth had one based off of Leif. None of these outfits perfectly matched the originals, because they were merely color choices. And we've never had a problem with these before.

What we have here is another color choice for Link. One that I will gladly take into battle. Though I'm curious what color his shield is. (Link's red color now turns the Hylian Shield red as well. It resembles the Hero's Shield from WW)
Well to be fair, Sakurai already treats both Wind Waker and Spirit Tracks Link's as if they are the same people what with the latter getting replaced by Alfonzo whenever the former joins the battle at the Spirit Train stage. So I'm not sure if it really has much to do with that they are technically different people. Maybe I'm just nitpicking but ah well... :T

Koopaul

Smash Champion
We still might get a legit alternate costume for Link. This one is merely a texture swap, not a real alternate costume.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
NNID
Nin-Knight
Well to be fair, Sakurai already treats both Wind Waker and Spirit Tracks Link's as if they are the same people what with the latter getting replaced by Alfonzo whenever the former joins the battle at the Spirit Train stage. So I'm not sure if it really has much to do with that they are technically different people. Maybe I'm just nitpicking but ah well... :T
I'd assume that because Spirit Tracks Link and Wind Waker Link are both technically Toon Link, Sakurai figured people would be confused if they both appeared at the same time.

I mean, it's easy to tell SS Link apart from TP Link. Real easy. But point to the Four Swords Link, Minish Cap Link, Spirit Tracks Link, and Wind Waker Link all wearing their signature green, and I guarantee you that I would not be able to tell them apart. They all share the same art style.

But in the PotD, Sakurai specifically mentions how the art style is different. We don't want confusion do we? :awesome:

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'd assume that because Spirit Tracks Link and Wind Waker Link are both technically Toon Link, Sakurai figured people would be confused if they both appeared at the same time.

I mean, it's easy to tell SS Link apart from TP Link. Real easy. But point to the Four Swords Link, Minish Cap Link, Spirit Tracks Link, and Wind Waker Link all wearing their signature green, and I guarantee you that I would not be able to tell them apart. They all share the same art style.

But in the PotD, Sakurai specifically mentions how the art style is different. We don't want confusion do we? :awesome:
Personally, I don't really see how you could really confuse a kid in a train conductor outfit with a kid in a green tunic (with the former being in lower graphical polygons too) to be honest, especially if you're just fine with seeing four of the same kid in different coloured tunic's but I guess that's just me.... :T

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Sakurai...you could've at least removed the damn hat, you know?

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
Man I haven't been on this thread for a while, but c'mon, people calling anything not a character reveal filler?
I remember when we still used to be satisfied with item reveals...

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Personally, I don't really see how you could really confuse a kid in a train conductor outfit with a kid in a green tunic (with the former being in lower graphical polygons too) to be honest, especially if you're just fine with seeing four of the same kid in different coloured tunic's but I guess that's just me.... :T
You're missing his point. When wearing the same outfit (the classic green outfit), it's impossible to tell the Links from Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Four Swords, Four Swords Adventures and Minish Cap apart, thanks to those games having the same art style.

Of course, the Outset outfit and the Engineer outfit would tell them apart. Same for Minish Cap Link with Ezlo. Otherwise, you couldn't tell them apart.

Same cannot be said for Twilight Princess Link and Skyward Sword Link, since both have different art styles.

However, I will stress, and not for the first time, that Link in Smash is a composite character. Sure, on the Zelda canon, they're separate incarnations of the hero (different people), but in Smash, Link draws inspiration from all Links. Same for Zelda and Toon Link.

Sakurai...you could've at least removed the damn hat, you know?
I'd like to see you do better. :rolleyes:

Man I haven't been on this thread for a while, but c'mon, people calling anything not a character reveal filler?
I remember when we still used to be satisfied with item reveals...
It's human nature to complain over trivial things. :smirk:

Because Link wearing a hat will, you know, ruin the game forever. :rolleyes:

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
Why do people want character reveals so soon? Sure the PotD might have been filler, but at least it's something new.
Why don't people hope for game mechanics to be in the PotD? (or at least game details) I'd rather learn more about the game rather than getting some new character.

I guess some people will never be satisfied.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I fail to see how this PotD was filler. We got new info, therefore it's not filler.

You want filler? Sure, how about Wii Fit Trainer's booty or Luigi's nose?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You're missing his point. When wearing the same outfit (the classic green outfit), it's impossible to tell the Links from Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Four Swords, Four Swords Adventures and Minish Cap apart, thanks to those games having the same art style.

Of course, the Outset outfit and the Engineer outfit would tell them apart. Same for Minish Cap Link with Ezlo. Otherwise, you couldn't tell them apart.

Same cannot be said for Twilight Princess Link and Skyward Sword Link, since both have different art styles.

However, I will stress, and not for the first time, that Link in Smash is a composite character. Sure, on the Zelda canon, they're separate incarnations of the hero (different people), but in Smash, Link draws inspiration from all Links. Same for Zelda and Toon Link.
Yeah I would understand if they where actually wearing the same outfit. But in this case, the Link from Spirit Tracks who shows up at the ST stage is garbed in his outfit he worn as an engineer, not as an adventurer like Toon Link does so when the two show up together during gameplay it shouldn't really be all that confusing to tell the two apart because in hindsight, they would really sort of look about as similar as Ness and Lucas do, really.... :/

But I guess I might as well leave it at that. I have the feeling Toon Link will probably get the same treatment as Link does and probably get the Train Engineer outfit as a part of his alt/colour swaps.

Also, not really sure where people get this filler idea from but ah well..... :/

Last edited:

mkwLM

Smash Rookie
Sometimes I really don't understand the fandom. Nobody realized we were entitled to a perfect recreation of the Skyward Sword costume until Sakurai mentioned it, now all of a sudden he's let us down by failing to remove Link's hat. He could have not put in the costume at all and we wouldn't have known the difference, you know.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Yeah I would understand if they where actually wearing the same outfit. But in this case, the Link from Spirit Tracks who shows up at the ST stage is garbed in his outfit he worn as an engineer, not as an adventurer like Toon Link does so when the two show up together during gameplay it shouldn't really be all that confusing to tell the two apart because in hindsight, they would really look about as similar as Ness and Lucas do, really.... :/

But I guess I might as well leave it at that. I have the feeling Toon Link will probably get the same treatment as Link does and probably get the Train Engineer outfit as a part of his alt/colour swaps.
If Toon Link gets the Engineer outfit as an alt, it will make even more sense to replace him with Alfonzo on the Spirit Train stage.

And who says it won't happen? We have Wire Frame Mac, male and female Wii Fit Trainers, several outfit and gender combinations for the Villager and now a more elaborate palette swap for Link. Seems to me that they're putting more effort on costumes and color swaps than before. And that is a very good thing.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If Toon Link gets the Engineer outfit as an alt, it will make even more sense to replace him with Alfonzo on the Spirit Train stage.

And who says it won't happen? We have Wire Frame Mac, male and female Wii Fit Trainers, several outfit and gender combinations for the Villager and now a more elaborate palette swap for Link. Seems to me that they're putting more effort on costumes and color swaps than before. And that is a very good thing.
Yeah exactly, that's my point.

It's really what makes the most sense to me. :smash:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom