• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mii Height/Width Analysis

Exate

Smash Journeyman
I was originally going to make this a reply to this thread, but there's a lot of potential discussion for this topic that would probably be better segregated from that.

While this topic applies to all variants of the Mii Fighter, all of my testing was done with Brawlers, so I posted it here. Maybe it belongs in competitive? I don't know; I'll let the moderators decide.

Throughout my experiences with the Miis, I've noticed some anomalies about them as I played with different sizes through different game modes. I'm well aware of what Sakurai said about their sizes having effects, but what I assumed about varying Mii size was very far off. Some things about large Miis in particular didn't feel... right.

Perplexed by how these variables affect them (being the minmaxer that I am), I went off to search if anybody had written up anything on variance in Mii sizes. This article was the only thing I found. If you go just a short way down, you'll see a table. The author, Laguna Levine, took it upon their time to do some experimenting. A good start, but this information wasn't satisfactory enough for me. I needed to know more.

So, having done most that I can content-wise in Sm4sh 3DS, I decided to start experimenting with these characters. First, I'd like to make note of something: While my tests were somewhat in-depth, they weren't as in-depth as they could have been. Some of you may consider these experiments as sufficient, and some of you may want more work done — that's fine. I like to think of this thread as only the beginning of the research into the variables that affect the performance of the Miis.

To start things off, I used Levine's table as a means of determining how to go about this. While Miis virtually have several variants of height/weight, I also decided to use general "extremes" of sizes: Short, Medium, and Tall; and Thin, Medium, and Wide. I will be referring to these sizes as a two-letter acronym: Each letter represents the first letter of each word. The first letter of the acronym represents the height, and the second represents the width (eg. SW means Short & Wide).

Here were the "tools" for the experiment:

These three weren't important to the initial tests. They were used for specific comparisons that I'll be explaining later on in the thread.

The first thing on my agenda was to find differences in knockback between sizes — to opponents, and by extension, how far the Miis themselves are launched.

For this experiment, I went into training mode and chose FD Golden Plains. The move I used was Brawler's neutral B #2: Ultimate Uppercut. For each test, the move is fully-charged, then sweet-spotted on my opponent from the right edge of the stage, facing leftwards (to avoid the CPU moving or vectoring [assuming they vector], as they have a tendency to move when hit beyond the edge of the stage). If — when hit — it seemed as though my opponent didn't go straight up, I reattempted it until they did. Their respective percentage when hit was recorded after each successful test.

The following image were the results. The first column is the type of character I hit, and the second is the minimum percent they must be at for the uppercut to vertically KO them. In addition to the Miis, I threw in some of the heavier characters for comparison.

I think the first thing you'll notice is that the strength between Miis doesn't differ much at all. What may raise your concern, though, are the parentheticals. First off, they aren't global between all three individual cases, but are exclusive to the ones they are listed in.

My guess for the inconsistencies has to do with the overall hitbox of the Mii that was hit, and when it comes into contact with the upper blast line. For the tests conducted with the MM Mii, I think that the MT and TT-sized Miis' hitboxes were just large enough to hit that blast line to result in the KO. The ST one, however, needed the extra percent to give it that extra boost. The situation is basically the same thing for the TW tests. The TT-sized one hits the blast line a percent lower than the other thins, due to the presumed bigger hitbox from the height of the Mii. I tested the parenthetical cases quite a few times, and the result was the same. There are so many variables involved that this is what makes the most sense to me given the situations.

Amongst all those tests, I played with the Miis individually in a couple of fights in training mode, and some runs in Smash Run. Here's what I've been able to infer about Mii sizes:

• The height affects movement speed, hitbox size (including attacks), and delay after attacks
  • The width affects initial dash and character weight
  • Attack power and jump height is determined by both
  • Weight/attack from the extreme smallest to the extreme largest doesn't seem much different
  • Qualities affected by height are very noticeable, however

I'm not 100% certain that's everything, but that seems to be the gist of it.
What I need to further elaborate on is that last detail. To put it shortly: Short Miis are disproportionately better than tall Miis. I know that sounds like an opinion (and maybe it is), but I'll let you decide:

Pros:
  • Run the fastest
  • Jump the highest
  • Have the least amount of delay after attacks
  • Have a smaller hitbox, therefore being harder to hit

Cons:
  • Smaller hitbox with attacks

As for the tall Miis? Just flip the categories and assert the contrary to each one.
Tall Miis are the slowest, jump at the lowest height, have the most delay after attacks (easier to punish), and they're easier to hit due to their size. The only real pro about them is the larger hitbox associated with their attacks, and that's really not enough.

I don't consider myself a professional at Smash, but here's my understanding about characters:
If a character has a drawback (eg. horrid delay after an attack), there must be other qualities about this character to mitigate that issue. Some characters like these (eg. some of the heavy ones I included on part of the chart) are heavier, and take much more to be KO'd. They also tend to hit a lot harder, and have much more knockback to their moves. Characters that are lighter and faster rely on their quick attacks into combos to be effective. They tend to be KO'd more easily, and do lighter damage with their moves.

While Smash isn't perfectly balanced, I think what I say is general principle for how a great deal of the cast is. There are certainly mixed bags of the aforementioned things — and characters inevitably end up in specific tiers due to them — but how their moves function is what really sets them all apart.

The problem with the Miis is that the very difference in their weight/power is practically neglibile between sizes. With the drawbacks tall Miis have, them having a larger attack hitbox just doesn't cut it — they need to be able to hit harder, knockback further, and take a bigger beating to mitigate such drawbacks... and that just isn't there for them. I know what I'm saying sounds a little too definitive of things (especially considering my isolated tests), but I think Sakurai made a big mistake with the weight/power between sizes.
ofc i dont really blame him with the sheer size of this roster what with all the balancing needing to be done but dang its a pretty big imbalance

Anyway... let's move on.

Seeing as the shorter Miis had so many advantages, I decided to turn my focus entirely on them. My next test was to find out the differences between each of their widths. While I haven't delved too much into this territory yet, I've discovered a few things. Levine's table explains some of this stuff, but I'd like to just elaborate a bit further:

• When I compared a ST's jump height to a SW, their peak height during the first jump is about 75% of a default Mii's head size above the SW. When compared to a MM, it seems to be one full head, and two full heads compared to a TW. ST Miis certainly jump the highest.
  • Short hopping seems to be the same height between all widths. Not 100% certain, though.
  • As aforementioned, width seems to affect the distance of the initial dash. Running speed, however, doesn't look any different... but I could be wrong.
  • While this may be just me, the thin variants seemed to have a kind of "sliding" feel to them. Think like Luigi, but far less. This detail needs more attention, I think. I'm really not sure if it's there or not.

At this point, I wondered if the size of the Miis were just as varied in the game to their potential sizes when making them in the Mii Maker. This goes back to the second image I posted above. I decided to make two more Miis (the green ones) as middle-of-the-roads between the primary three I used. The first is slightly taller and wider than a ST, but not quite as much as a MM. The second is like the first, but falls between the MM and TW. I compared them to the primary ones, and they are indeed different in size (smallest to biggest, left to right):
I think it's safe to say the green ones will have differences in jump height and initial dash than the others... but that's a test of mine for another time.

To sum things up as of now, I think that SM feels the best — it doesn't have what I think is a slippery mechanic to the weight, and good enough jump height for recovery situations. Seeing as my findings about their widths are inconclusive, my opinion is certainly subject to change. There's also the matter of initial dashing and jump height for the other classes — some other variant may be preferable depending on what kind of Mii you're using.

Anyway, that cyan female Mii in the second image? She's a MM that I used to verify whether or not female Miis had differences from the males (they don't, thankfully). Tests with her matched up to the male MM. Only difference between the genders are some aesthetics with outfits (and the female being slightly thinner overall). I took note of some differences in outfits, so here they are if you're interested:
- for brawler
biker gear (shirt)
fighter uniform (slightly longer top for female)
mecha suit (green for male, yellow for female)
standard outfit (longer top for female)
vampire garb (differences in boots, and front and back of coat)

- for swordfighter
cybernetic suit (colored sections are shaped differently)
ninja suit (male has a shuriken on the front, female's is a more... rounded-shaped one?)
pirate outfit (female has closed coat and no belt sash)
plate armor (female has a slight skirt at the bottom of the top piece. different design in front)

- for gunner
fancy suit (female shoes are heeled)
steampunk getup (different vests/pants)
wild west wear (distinctly different between genders)

As minimalistic as this info is, I suppose it's useful in the respect that you prefer some differences in one gender's outfits than what you usually use. Can just remake the Mii into the opposite gender to get what you want, etc..

Well, those are all of my findings so far. It'd be great to get other people to join in on this, as it'd be quite daunting to do alone. At the very least, I'd like to hear everyone's opinions, or rebuttals.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
So the range taller miis have over shorter miis is more noticeable than the extra landing lag they get? For the gunner and swordfighter miis that seems like it would be a plus.

Exate

Smash Journeyman
So the range taller miis have over shorter miis is more noticeable than the extra landing lag they get? For the gunner and swordfighter miis that seems like it would be a plus.
Hmm... yeah, I'd say so. Tall Miis have longer landing and ending lag, for sure. The best comparison for ending lag between short and tall Miis is the Brawler's forward smash.

I think the increased range might have some viability for gunners in particular, considering they seem to be a pretty defensive class with several ranged standard and special moves. Their standard attacks are the most notable difference — their range is scaled with their height (even the explosions from down smash are a little bigger with a taller Mii). Projectiles from B moves seem to stay consistent in size/distance, with the exception of flame pillar: Due to the trajectory it travels at (and a taller Mii having their arm cannon higher from the ground) it actually goes out a slightly further distance when used by a taller Mii as opposed to a short one. This distance difference applies to grenade launch and bomb drop as well, but they are far less noticeable.

Here's the spacing difference for flame pillar:

Echo reflector looks much bigger on a taller Mii, and the hitbox might be a bit bigger as well.

For the swordfighter, it also applies. The sword is only very slightly bigger on a tall Mii (or maybe not at all!) compared to a short one. Really hard to tell. The range increase is very minimal; gunner distance seems slightly further between sizes.

Power thrust has a greater distance difference than all other moves: Seems to end just a bit past the center stage of FD Battlefield with a tall Mii, and just before it with a short one. Reversal slash's effect also extends slightly further with a tall Mii.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
So for the gunner mii it can be beneficial to be taller. Otherwise short is probably best.

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
As a matter of curiousity, since the Gunner seems to benefit from greater range when taller, would a taller Brawler benefit from a greater distance travelled when utilising moves like Burning Dropkick or Foot Flurry?

Exate

Smash Journeyman
As a matter of curiousity, since the Gunner seems to benefit from greater range when taller, would a taller Brawler benefit from a greater distance travelled when utilising moves like Burning Dropkick or Foot Flurry?
While testing your request, I decided to go ahead and make comparisons for all moves (including ones that are fairly obvious, just for the sake of completion).

• Shot Put: The thrown ball ends about a Mii's width further when using a tall Mii (accounting for the hands being higher from the ground, basically) to a short one.
  • Ultimate Uppercut: A tall Mii's height of the punch during execution is a smaller distance (like a Mii's head) than a short one. The landing point is also about the same difference in distance.
  • Exploding Side Kick: A tall Mii kicks slightly further than a short one due to leg length.
  • Onslaught: A tall Mii goes about two Mii character widths further than a short one.
  • Burning Dropkick: A tall Mii only ends about a smidgen further than a short (likely accounting for the further leg distance, and standing up from that)
  • Headache Maker: No differences I could see.
  • Soaring Axe Kick: A tall Mii reaches about half its height more into the air than a short one does. This is interesting, because tall Miis don't jump as high as short ones via use of regular jumps.
  • Helicopter Kick: No differences I could see.
  • Piston Punch: Same case as the Soaring Axe Kick.
  • Head-On Assault: No differences I could see.
  • Feint Jump: A tall Mii goes about one Mii's width further than a short one. This distance is just the jump alone, and doesn't factor in the optional kick.
  • Foot Flurry: Same distance difference as Feint Jump.

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
Hm, intriguing. Looking at the moves I picked for the purpose they use (Ultimate Uppercut, Helicopter Kick, Foot Flurry and Burning Dropkick), this looks like my somewhat tall Brawler gains a nice little bonus of distance from these moves.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Amazing Analysis. I was doing my own but looks like I have been beaten to the punch. Question... Are you sure Width have nothing to do with Hit Box length? I notice in my test the SW Swordfighter's sword length is much larger than ST's sword length.

Exate

Smash Journeyman
Amazing Analysis. I was doing my own but looks like I have been beaten to the punch. Question... Are you sure Width have nothing to do with Hit Box length? I notice in my test the SW Swordfighter's sword length is much larger than ST's sword length.
Upon testing, it looks like you're right! The size of the sword seems to increase with the width of the Mii, and the range of the sword's hitbox also increases. The SW has even more range than Toon Link, amusingly.

With testing SW and ST Brawlers, I couldn't see a difference in range.
With Gunners, there seems to be a slightly larger hitbox on "explosion" moves (bair, usmash, dtilt, dsmash), but moves like the ftilt seem to be the same distance.

Another thing with Swordfighters, is that a TT has shorter range than than a SW. Height seems to affect the sword range a smidgen, while width has a much more noticeable difference. While width seems to have a significant effect on their range, take care to balance it, as Swordfighters have the lowest jump height of all Mii classes.

Also, for reference:
Brawler > Gunner > Swordfighter in jump height.
Swordfighters cannot wall jump, while the other two can.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Yep Yep! No problem sir. Just contributing to a great cause.
So there is no range difference in Brawler? I was afraid of this. How about attack speed/recovery speed? It must be a different factor or something.
I have never mess around with gunner. Looks like I don't have to.
Yep, I noticed that instantly about TT and SW. That why my post about how broken SW Swordfighter was. It was a minor and I figure it apply to all Mii Fighters. I guess we were both wrong haha!

Wait... what?! Swordfighter cannot wall jump? Freakin Sakurai!

Exate

Smash Journeyman
How about attack speed/recovery speed? It must be a different factor or something.
The speed in which attacks occur seems to be the same regardless of the Mii's size, but the delay after attacks is longer with taller Miis. I haven't noticed any other differences in speed.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Could you please post this info in the other mii fighter forums?

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman
So since each type of Mii gets different benefits out of height and width, would it be possible to summarize which would be best for each type?
Because even if they get a lot less lag and a lot more power out of being short and wide, using that would decrease range on others, and that could mess with timing and put you at a disadvantage as it'd be harder to hit with some attacks compared to usual, right?

So, specifically, from what I could understand so far, [I'm terrible with keeping all these technicalities in my head at once] the best kind of Sword Fighter would be one that is just barely under the Medium height so that it just barely qualifies as the short side, with a width just barely over the Medium mark so that it just barely qualifies as being in the Wide category, right?

And on the other side, a Gunner Mii and Fighter Mii would benefit more from being just slightly taller due to extended range, like a Medium height with Wide width?

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Holy crap, this is my first time seeing all this, this is great data!

Probably not going to use it because... you know, half of the appeal, for me, is that it's ME(mii) who's beating up everyone's asses out there. Not making a Mii on purpose because of this (or even editing my own Mii), it just feels like cheating, somewhat.

But then again, I DID create a ST Mii (Toad) to use in Trophy Rush, sooo...

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
Fatness is the only thing that decides the power and attack speed of a Mii. It also decides the range of Gunner's non-specials and the fattest Swordfighter's sword is twice as long as the skinniest.
Fatness contributes very slightly to jump height, and pretty majorly to walk/run speed. Fatter Brawlers seem to have better aerial movement.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Fatness is the only thing that decides the power and attack speed of a Mii. It also decides the range of Gunner's non-specials and the fattest Swordfighter's sword is twice as long as the skinniest.
Fatness contributes very slightly to jump height, and pretty majorly to walk/run speed. Fatter Brawlers seem to have better aerial movement.
so height doesn't matter at all? interesting. I could have sworn my shorter brawler had less endlag than my taller one, and they both have the same width

Last edited:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Height: Only thing that affects reach(visual reach =/= actual hitbox reach), greater lag, slower, small power increase.
Weight: Larger power increase, movement speed with large effects on air and walking speed. Landing lag seems the same, but end lag to aerials and the like seem greater.

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
Height is not the only thing that affects reach. Here is are two identical height characters. One on the left is full weight, one on the right is lowest weight.

Attachments

Last edited:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Height is not the only thing that affects reach. Here is are two identical height characters. One on the left is full weight, one on the right is lowest weight.
Then you swing/attack and realize the hitbox has the exact same reach, or at least a reach with negligble differences. Actual testing is the only way to realize this.

Weight affects visual sword and explosion size, but the reach is the same. That is why a Tall+skinny Mii has ghost reach, while a short+fat Mii will miss when it looked like it hit.

Last edited:

dbwithlemon

Smash Apprentice
Then you swing/attack and realize the hitbox has the exact same reach, or at least a reach with negligble differences. Actual testing is the only way to realize this.

Weight affects visual sword and explosion size, but the reach is the same. That is why a Tall+skinny Mii has ghost reach, while a short+fat Mii will miss when it looked like it hit.
Has this been confirmed to be purely visual?
With the difference displayed in that image, I would think that would look very off for both min and max size mii's.

Shakyy

Addicted to Ice.
NNID
Shakyy
I feel the brawlers best option is to be short and skinny as they rely on high mobility and close quarters combat, and the extra range on attacks doesnt make up for the other properties you lose.
I have not looked much into gunner and sword fighter as they are imo not as good as brawler.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Something to contribute in regards to the Mii's height and width / weight affecting their jump heights and their Up Specials. Basically, I created a stage using platforms 1 grid unit high and had up to 27 platforms stacked up including a drop-through platform as the Floor. My reasoning for this is because two quick separate taps of the L trigger in Training Mode in 1/4 speed whild holding down will make the Mii fighter fall through the floor and immediately use their doublejump or Up B to get an airborne result. Here's the good stuff:

Up B | Airborne
Hero's Spin:4miisword:| 10 (for all X/X sets)
Notes: Hero's Spin alike Link and Toon Link's Spin Attack doesn't go in the air when you're grounded. So only the airborne data applies whenever I would hold down to fall through the platform floor.

Up B | Grounded | Airborne
Soaring Axe Kick:4miibrawl:(0/X) | 8 | 8
Soaring Axe Kick:4miibrawl:(25/X) | 8 | 8
Soaring Axe Kick:4miibrawl:(50/X) | 9 | 9
Soaring Axe Kick:4miibrawl:(75/X) | 10 | 10
Soaring Axe Kick:4miibrawl:(100/X) | 10 | 10
Helicopter Kick:4miibrawl: (for all X/X sets) | 5 | 5
Lunar Launch:4miigun: (for all X/X sets) | 11 | 9
Cannon Uppercut:4miigun: (for all X/X sets) | 7 | 6
Notes: Even if you try moving in any direction upon rising with any of these moves, you'll reach the same height regardless.

KEY: Grounded / Airborne
Up B (H/W) | :GCU: | :GCDL::GCL::GCUL::GCUR::GCR::GCDR:
Stone Scabbard:4miisword: (0/X) | 8/8 | 7/7
Stone Scabbard:4miisword: (25/X) | 8/8 | 8/8
Stone Scabbard:4miisword:(50/X) | 9/9 | 9/9
Stone Scabbard:4miisword: (75/X) | 11/11 | 10/10
Stone Scabbard:4miisword: (100/X) | 12/12 | 12/12
Notes: No matter what direction you aim towards except straight upwards, you reach the exact same height.

KEY: Grounded / Airborne
NOTE: Mii Fighters are recovering towards the right after Up and B are inputted. After their move's startup, I applied the additional direction on the joystick listed in the table below.

Up B | :GCDL: | :GCL: | :GCUL: | :GCU: | :GCUR: | :GCR: | :GCDR:
Piston Punch:4miibrawl: (0/X) | 6/5 | 6/5 | 6/5 | 6/5 | 6/5 | 6/5 | 6/5
Piston Punch:4miibrawl: (25/X) | 7/5 | 6/5 | 7/5 | 7/5 | 7/5 | 6/5 | 7/5
Piston Punch:4miibrawl: (50/X) | 7/6 | 7/5 | 7/6 | 8/6 | 7/6 | 7/5 | 7/6
Piston Punch:4miibrawl: (75/X) | 8/6 | 8/6 | 8/6 | 8/6 | 8/6 | 8/6 | 8/6
Piston Punch:4miibrawl: (100/X) | 9/7 | 8/6 | 9/7 | 9/7 | 9/7 | 8/6 | 9/7
Arm Rocket:4miigun: (for all X/X sets) | N/A | N/A | N/A | 11/11 | 8/8 | 3/2 | 8/8
Notes: The N/As for Arm Rocket are there because you cannot apply directional guidance to Arm Rocket once it travels in a direction.

Up B |:GCDL:|:GCL:|:GCUL:|:GCU:|:GCUR:|:GCR:|:GCDR:
Skyward Slash Dash:4miisword: (X/X for all sets) | 0/-2 | 0/0 | 10/9 | 14/13 | 10/9 | 0/0 | 0/-3
Notes: The -2 and -3 are the end result when Mii Swordfighter falls through the platform to go airborne. Skyward Slash Dash going diagonally down and left travels -6 platforms and then bounces up +4 platforms, meanwhile SSD going diagonally down and right travels -7 platforms and then bounces up +4 platforms.

TL;DR Tall Mii Brawlers gain an increase of vertical height to their Soaring Axe Kick and Piston Punch to compensate for the decrease to their jump height data for their Short Hop, Full Hop, and doublejump. Tall Mii Swordfighters gain a large increase of vertical height to Stone Scabbard to compensate for their petty jump height data including Short Hop, Full Hop, and doublejump. Tall Mii Gunners get no benefits to any of their Up Specials, so yeah.

Last edited:
Top Bottom