• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Middle Of Nowhere Practice

Devindor

Smash Rookie
I live in the middle of nowhere with no one to play Smash against. I basically grind bots practicing but stuff like dash dancing doesn't affect them they'll just frame perfect grab you. My computer sucks too much to pick up Dolphin for Melee netplay too. What are ways I can practice playing when there's no other people to play against?

pagedMov

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pagedMov
Your only real options are probably get a better computer, or move to where there's a bigger scene. And frankly, beating on CPUs will only make you worse.

You could play other fighting games online to improve fundamental skills like spacing and reading. It works best if you play as non technical characters. Practicing alone in Melee works best if you play as technical characters

Devindor

Smash Rookie
I can't really get a better computer or move. Broke as all Hell right now. I guess until I get more cash I'm SOL. Buying a WiiU might help cause I'd be able to play Smash 4 online but I'm not sure if anything I learn there will help with Melee

I can't really get a better computer or move. Broke as all Hell right now. I guess until I get more cash I'm SOL. Buying a WiiU might help cause I'd be able to play Smash 4 online but I'm not sure if anything I learn there will help with Melee
Buying a Wii U just for Smash 4 online seems kind of expensive. Wouldn't that total to $300? But if it has other games that interest you, it won't be too bad of an idea

In my experience, playing Brawl online for a few months has improved me in Melee. Street Fighter online has improved me as well. Back when MVC3 was new, a lot of Brawl players converted to it and had a lot of tournament success. Stories of new experts were fairly common. If you ever play Smash 4 online, I strongly recommend using a wired internet connection. It noticeably helps reduce lag

Last edited:

Devindor

Smash Rookie
I'd use the WiiU as an emulation box mainly but Smash is about the only Nintendo franchise that hasn't had a string of crap games released yet. Grinding tech gets super boring sitting there with no one to talk to IRL I do it as much as I can stand

meebius

Smash Apprentice
You can just continue practicing on CPU's and polish your punish game. Levels 1-4 are the best for comboing because they have the most realistic DI.

CrackaaJack

Smash Cadet
I live in the middle of nowhere with no one to play Smash against. I basically grind bots practicing but stuff like dash dancing doesn't affect them they'll just frame perfect grab you. My computer sucks too much to pick up Dolphin for Melee netplay too. What are ways I can practice playing when there's no other people to play against?
You might like this thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/falco-discussion-thread.256826/page-439#post-14739329
PPMD talks about practicing alone with bots (and he's only been to two tournaments this year still placing top 8).

Devindor

Smash Rookie
Ah man I forgot to keep checking this thread

where in the middle of nowhere do you live?
I live in Bassano Alberta, 1,000 people live here

You can just continue practicing on CPU's and polish your punish game. Levels 1-4 are the best for comboing because they have the most realistic DI.
1-4s? I usually do 9s because they have insane grabs and I want to avoid grabs as much as possible against players but working on punish game as Sheik actually does sound like a better thing to practice

Thank God for edit feature I hit reply before I meant to

I was living in Vancouver British Columbia for a long time but didn't have my GameCube with me. My plan after finally graduating (Don't drop out kids, it'll wreck your life) then doing college is to move back to BC. I'm not sure how active Melee will be in 4+ years but worst case Smash 4 actually looks like it could be fun. Not as floaty as Brawl. I visit Vancouver every 6 or so months maybe I could use SmashBoards and organize a few hour practice session with some people around that area

Last edited:

Devindor

Smash Rookie
I highly highly doubt this town has a Smash scene. I'm over an hour away from Calgary and about 4-5 hours away from Edmonton. I applied to join that Alberta Facebook group anyways though maybe someone comes down here occasionally

CrackaaJack

Smash Cadet
https://www.facebook.com/ssbuniversity
It's worth a shot. I live in a place in socal and still have to drive an hour and a half just to get to a tournament that pays cash money. Good luck ^^
Also it is thought to be best to practice with CPU's levels 1-5 since they have most humanlike D.I. and lvl 9's are highly predicatble and leave you with bad habits.

Devindor

Smash Rookie
Friend came down we played some Melee today. I beat him in Sheik dittos woo. Infinite down throw combo OP. Gonna get wasted and play Super Smashed Brothers tomorrow hopefully that goes well. At least 2 days of practice with a human will be worth a little bit

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Practice pivot grabs out of brief dash dances, shield DI, ASDI/CC grabs (occasionally jab too), nair oos, shield drops, dashing immediately out of stun, wd oos, ledgedash ftilt/grab, mid-air needle turnaround, general recovery skills (knowing when to change to Zelda, use her float, change back to sheik, jump, up-b for example), dair combo extensions, pivoting out of movelag/stun, and chaingrabs. All VERY good stuff. A lot can be said for consistent tech skill. Then when you get the chance to play a human work on DI as much as possible: aim to make yourself BARELY uncombo'able. Don't give them easy edgeguards.

Last edited:

Devindor

Smash Rookie
I got to practice a bit of tech that is hard to do against CPU/training mode things. Turn around needle edgegrab was fun to see put into practice. My friends face when I chaingrabbed him on Dreamland was great. I had other stuff typed up but the backup thing ate the last half of my message

Top Bottom