• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midair Defense

Lumancer

Smash Apprentice
Ok, I was a good boy and searched this time, but I didn't find any posts that dealt specifically with how Peach can best defend herself in the air, especially against a good juggler, Sheik for example. Midair dodging is too slow and leaves me vulnerable; if they approach me from the front, FAir is too slow to counter many moves and neutral air has no reach.

I know I haven't covered everything, but I'm really at a loss. Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to break midair chains and defend myself in general?

JAPMAN

Smash Journeyman
I usually use nair against players with no range, the parasol if im up against a slow or floaty character(chances are you wont be hit and youll fast fall out of the parasol before they do) and if you get desperate, Toad. If they are comming from behind, bair is a good idea, it has a decent hit box and decent range. Also, if you have a turnip in hand, use that.

Lumancer

Smash Apprentice
Ok... but where does that leave me against a Marth or Cap. Falcon coming at my face? Parasol is slow enough that it's not going to save me from the knee, etc., and toad is even slower...

am I missing something? o_O;;;

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Not when you're being juggled they aren't.

Against Captain Falcon you're kinda dead if they pull off the combo. The best you can do is just DI and hope they let you get to the ground again.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Okay, first off, I just wanna say that none of Peach's arial moves are slow. Infact, they're kinda quick and powerful if used right (the fair is kinda slow though). Peach has one of the best arial games/attacks out there (Jiggly Puff being first and all)

second, nair has reach, but the reach is slanted. Still, you could still nail your opponents with little to no problem. Also, FC are one of Peach's best friends. Use it! It REALLY helps with your arial attacks.

Now, about Marth and such characters. The best you could do is DI, like Cog Smooch said. You have to be away from distance once you're caught in a combo/finishing off spot. If you're DIing and Capt. Falcon or Marth come after you, try to nair them. It'll keep them off at bay incase they try to kill you. If you're grabbed by a Shiek and you have high percentage, then you're just screwed. Her Dthrow + uair is a instant kill move for a Peach.

EDIT:

I don't understand why you don't just drop turnips. Also doesn't the parasol have really good priority, I know it works at breaking some of Marth's combos, does it work with Captain Falcon?
Well...it probably could, but I wouldn't use it unless you're under him and you're certain you'll nail him. With the umbrella out and you miss, you're open for his knee.

Also, the turnips could be used for mindgames, starting combos, and keeping your opponent at bay.

Lumancer

Smash Apprentice
Thanks everyone, Rockin especially, that gives me a lot to think about. I'll give some of those a try next time I play!

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Well Peachy Parasol is good?
Her Parasol is pretty good for racking up combos and making nice upper cuts. It should be used as your last arial combo move. Again though, be careful when you use it. Once in parasol mode, your peach cannot attack unless she lands back on the ground, which is little to no problem. This means you have to be sure it conntects otherwise you're open for a attack.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Peach has one of the best arial games/attacks out there (Jiggly Puff being first and all)
Let me see if I can find a proper 5150 response for this... can't find one exactly... This is what he'd say anyways.
5150 said:
LOLOLOLOL
wrong
In depth overanalysis... skip is recommended...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a look at the characters-generally peach's fair will beat a lot of these moves, but who's going to attack you when you're fairing?:
Doc: uair and bair beat every aerial peach has--dair from above does the same so does fair.
Mairo: uair bair and dair beat all of peach's moves.
Luigi: goes even with peach as far as aerial priority
Bowser: most of his moves beat yours... but that's why you don't attack him when he's attacking.
Yoshi: gets owned ^^
DK: gets owned ^^
CF: beats your aerials when he picks the right moves
Ganon: has a better aerial game
Falco and Fox: Yea, they win aerial priority battles.
Ness: Fair beats all you have flat.
Icys: If they could space their moves, they'd win
Kirby: gets owned too
Samus: even
Sheik: wins 90% of priority battles
Zelda: likes to outspace you
Link/Ylink: Hello disjointed hitbox. Plus nair is always suprising.
Pichu and Pika: lose (yay!)
Jiggs: Big fat win for jiggs
M2: gets owned
Gdubs, Marth and Roy: disjointed. hit. box.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
To sum up, I count 6 characters peach outprioritizes consistently in the air. 2 that she's pretty even with, and the rest beat peach in the air-assuming they're using the right moves.

Peach needs to DI to get out of combos. Nairing only works when the other person isn't fast enough to keep you stunned-but it's still not a bad idea. Know when peach's stun time ends so if the opportunity is there you can take it.

If you're tired of falling for fox's uthrow to uair, learn to smash DI.
If you're tired of getting spiked by Marth, DI awaaay. Or buy Pal and meteor cancel.
If you're tired of getting nair comboed into a knee by CF, smash DI the nairs.

Peach's priority is in her ground moves. Not in her aerials.

Let me reiterate that:
Peach's aerial priority is mediocre.

Lumancer

Smash Apprentice
Let me see if I can find a proper 5150 response for this... can't find one exactly... This is what he'd say anyways.

In depth overanalysis... skip is recommended...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take a look at the characters-generally peach's fair will beat a lot of these moves, but who's going to attack you when you're fairing?:
Doc: uair and bair beat every aerial peach has--dair from above does the same so does fair.
Mairo: uair bair and dair beat all of peach's moves.
Luigi: goes even with peach as far as aerial priority
Bowser: most of his moves beat yours... but that's why you don't attack him when he's attacking.
Yoshi: gets owned ^^
DK: gets owned ^^
CF: beats your aerials when he picks the right moves
Ganon: has a better aerial game
Falco and Fox: Yea, they win aerial priority battles.
Ness: Fair beats all you have flat.
Icys: If they could space their moves, they'd win
Kirby: gets owned too
Samus: even
Sheik: wins 90% of priority battles
Zelda: likes to outspace you
Link/Ylink: Hello disjointed hitbox. Plus nair is always suprising.
Pichu and Pika: lose (yay!)
Jiggs: Big fat win for jiggs
M2: gets owned
Gdubs, Marth and Roy: disjointed. hit. box.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
To sum up, I count 6 characters peach outprioritizes consistently in the air. 2 that she's pretty even with, and the rest beat peach in the air-assuming they're using the right moves.

Peach needs to DI to get out of combos. Nairing only works when the other person isn't fast enough to keep you stunned-but it's still not a bad idea. Know when peach's stun time ends so if the opportunity is there you can take it.

If you're tired of falling for fox's uthrow to uair, learn to smash DI.
If you're tired of getting spiked by Marth, DI awaaay. Or buy Pal and meteor cancel.
If you're tired of getting nair comboed into a knee by CF, smash DI the nairs.

Peach's priority is in her ground moves. Not in her aerials.

Let me reiterate that:
Peach's aerial priority is mediocre.
...holy shnigidigdada. Thank you as well, that was extremely comprehensive. Looks like I need to look up a good guide to DIing, I'm sure there are pleanty here on the board.

But what's this about the PAL version? The mechanics are different in Europe?

Back on topic, that answers pretty much all my questions. Thaanks again!

Her Parasol is pretty good for racking up combos and making nice upper cuts. It should be used as your last arial combo move. Again though, be careful when you use it. Once in parasol mode, your peach cannot attack unless she lands back on the ground, which is little to no problem. This means you have to be sure it conntects otherwise you're open for a attack.
One thing I have been wondering: is there any use for the damage Peach's parasol can do once you're floating on it? (Not peach's float but the parasol's slow fall) I've never been able to get it consistantly, but on a nice number of occasions I've been able to defend myself by sliding the parasol to where my body would be, and the opponent's attack is nullified.

I know we're not supposed to use the parasol if we can avoid it, but in a last-ditch situation is there anything useful to be done?

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Guess I should've added 'IMO' with that. Sorry about that ^^;; To me, I just felt she has a really good arial game. Not enough to call it the best, but at least top 5. XD;;

One thing I have been wondering: is there any use for the damage Peach's parasol can do once you're floating on it? (Not peach's float but the parasol's slow fall) I've never been able to get it consistantly, but on a nice number of occasions I've been able to defend myself by sliding the parasol to where my body would be, and the opponent's attack is nullified.

I know we're not supposed to use the parasol if we can avoid it, but in a last-ditch situation is there anything useful to be done?
Well...there's this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQkoqfmwiwM -- watch the near end

but this only works with fast fallers and MAJOR practice ^^

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Sorry if I came off harsh Rockin; my current mission is to destroy the fable of peach's "spectacular aerial priority." It's a current pet peeve of mine. Shows your maturity for not jumping back down my throat.

Lots of uses for peach's umbrella. It's got great upwards priority and is HARD to punish when used properly. Should never be counted out. Just gotta learn when and where you use it.

Also check out hella's combo video if you're looking for uses for the bumbershoot. That's a tutorial in ridiculous parasol combos. Not my style though.

And yes in PAL, Marth's spike is a meteor and therefore cancelable.

Lumancer

Smash Apprentice
Well...there's this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQkoqfmwiwM -- watch the near end

but this only works with fast fallers and MAJOR practice ^^
Holy crud, I don't know if that's hilarious or terrifying. A kamakaze Peach technique... I'll have to try that some time. So much to learn, I love smash boards!

...though with my luck, all of this will be gone or changed by the time Brawl comes out XD

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Holy crud, I don't know if that's hilarious or terrifying. A kamakaze Peach technique... I'll have to try that some time. So much to learn, I love smash boards!

...though with my luck, all of this will be gone or changed by the time Brawl comes out XD
really, it's more of 'HOLY ****Z!!' and 'UMBRELLA FINISHER FTW!' XD

Nah, don't say that. You never know. I'm pretty sure these techniques will still be in use for Brawl (if Peach's in it). Also, even if this stuff kinda dissipears, the format for Brawl will still be the same as Melee. It'll just give you a more fresh start.

Sorry if I came off harsh Rockin; my current mission is to destroy the fable of peach's "spectacular aerial priority." It's a current pet peeve of mine. Shows your maturity for not jumping back down my throat.
Nah, it's okay. I've been wrong before, and I'm still learning and such. Also, I don't mind different opinons about characters, either ^^

Top Bottom