• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mewtwo's defensive options.

smashPony

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ponyfloyd
Hello all, new guy in the boards here. So, I have a bone to pick with Mewtwo. Is it just me or are his defensive options just a little OP. Now with that being said, I hate to be that guy. I usually hate "that guy". But after playing against I dont know, maybe 30 Mewtwos in a row on for glory (PLEASE STOP) it seems as if his roll is just a little too fast. I have a great deal of pride in being able to read and punish rolls, spotdodges, sheild at a bad time, etc. Mewtwo can roll twice WAY faster than the rest of the cast (except maybe Pit/Dark Pit. Even when i read the roll and go in for the punish very very quickly, I cant for the life of me grab, dash attack, or upsmash him out of his roll. He just rolls again. Even when i read the second roll and go in for the grab, be can roll for a third time/spotdodge the grab like its nothing. Also, roll downtilt seems just about impossible to punish. Its extremely frustrating. Am I the only one who feels this way? Also, on a side note, with Sheik i tried to do a low Fair from the edge, and his upsmash sucked me in. Its hard to explain. The best way to put it would be to say i was at a level very slightly below Mewtwos feet, and the upsmash sucked me in right to the sweetspot. Seems like the hitbox actually covers his whole body and then some, allowing you to get sucked in to the sweetspot from a mile away. Thoughts on combatting this?

simpleglitch

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1907-8424-2856
I'm suprised I haven't seen more people talk about his rolls/dodges. In melee, he had the fast rolls in the game. Now, he either has that title again or is pretty close. I'm instrsted to see how more people react to this given that a lot of the community is already calling rolls "too safe."

I do feel like he needs the rolls due to mewtwo being lightweight and a big target. If Nintendo decides to nerf his rolls down the road, I hope they at least increase his weight.

As far as USmash goes, I don't know if we have enought data at this point. I've seen videos of mewtwo doing USmash right next to a character and it wiffing. Other times it sucks them in. It might have to do with the other character is grounded or in the air, but I'm not sure.

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
I'm surprised OoS N-Air wasn't mentioned as a defensive option. That thing is ridiculous.

smashPony

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ponyfloyd
Warning Received
I'm surprised OoS N-Air wasn't mentioned as a defensive option. That thing is ridiculous.
Nair OoS is great until they start abusing it. When they do i just run up sheild to bait and downtilt > fair.

I'm suprised I haven't seen more people talk about his rolls/dodges. In melee, he had the fast rolls in the game. Now, he either has that title again or is pretty close. I'm instrsted to see how more people react to this given that a lot of the community is already calling rolls "too safe."

I do feel like he needs the rolls due to mewtwo being lightweight and a big target. If Nintendo decides to nerf his rolls down the road, I hope they at least increase his weight.

As far as USmash goes, I don't know if we have enought data at this point. I've seen videos of mewtwo doing USmash right next to a character and it wiffing. Other times it sucks them in. It might have to do with the other
I think its good that roll is safe with the whole cast to get out of a sticky situation. But when the roll is read its usually very unsafe. i think that balance is great. it just feels like Mewtwos roll doesnt fall in to that category. Its always safe regardless of the situation.

Nair OoS is great until they start abusing it. When they do i just run up sheild to bait and downtilt > fair.
Obviously i play sheik lol. Everything > F-air <3

Last edited by a moderator:

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
A smart player will see that shield and grab.

Boss and I were doing Mewtwo dittos for a while yesterday, and I swear that guy is the king of getting grabs.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
Mewtwos rolls in melee were slow and sluggish, it was quick to move yes but the end lag was unbearable and can easy get punish for. I think Mewtwos roll in smash4 is better than Melee

smashPony

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ponyfloyd
A smart player will see that shield and grab.

Boss and I were doing Mewtwo dittos for a while yesterday, and I swear that guy is the king of getting grabs.
Thats the problem with for glory. most people dont think 3 moves ahead like they should. i need to get on Anther's ladder. And yeah i think getting the grab is pretty much the most important part of the game. if you can consistently get the grab you can and will dictate the pace of the match.

Captain Justice

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nacholovr
3DS FC
1848-1848-8415
Mewtwo's roll speed is great, but the ending lag is isn't quite as fast. Spacing is one of Mewtwo's best strengths, so his defense is pretty solid. However, he is pretty lighweight and a large target, so exploit that.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
His rolls are hilariously unsafe and have hideous endlag. They've been that way since Melee, I have no idea what you're all saying about them being OP but they're far from that.

The only good thing they have going is the distance they cover. Grounded Teleport is much safer than rolling, imo

Captain Justice

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nacholovr
3DS FC
1848-1848-8415
His rolls are hilariously unsafe and have hideous endlag. They've been that way since Melee, I have no idea what you're all saying about them being OP but they're far from that.

The only good thing they have going is the distance they cover. Grounded Teleport is much safer than rolling, imo
As mentioned by @ DavemanCozy DavemanCozy in the tech/combo sharing thread, ^this and SH air dodge are the best dodging options available to Mewtwo.

EyexSore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theultimatetater
3DS FC
0259-0815-3282
I'm not the only one who thinks that Mewtwo will be low tier like before, am I?

Captain Justice

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nacholovr
3DS FC
1848-1848-8415
I'm not the only one who thinks that Mewtwo will be low tier like before, am I?
Personally, I'm thinking mid to low tier for Mewtwo, but it's waaaay too early to actually tell. A lot more time is needed, now that the balance patch has come out.

Last edited:

EyexSore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theultimatetater
3DS FC
0259-0815-3282
Personally, I'm thinking mid to low tier for Mewtwo, but it's waaaay too early to actually tell. A lot more time is needed, now that the balance patch has come out.
Bleah, I'm making assumptions. I guess it's cuz he plays similar to melee.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
He's no top 10, that much is for sure. A character that is bigger AND lighter than Kirby is a bad combo to have.

His range is good though, he got a buffed Usmash and Dair for KOs, and his offstage gimping game is phenomenal.

Btw, the Teleport onstage may be faster and better than rolling, but it's still punishable if they read it. Like rolling, you shouldn't abuse it.

At least changing the angle downwards of the teleport gives options on distances you can cover.

Button inputs while standing in the ground:
:GCU::GCB: -> (input direction) :GCL:,:GCDL:,:GCD:(appears on place), :GCDR:,:GCR:

Top Bottom