• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mewtwo's Chain-Grab

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Yep, I said it. Yep, it's true.

Twitch clip incoming, but for now, I'll have to give you the hard way.

Thanks to 2GG l Bam and PG l Zan for discovering it!

Link to Youtube Guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-teJtkh5yOY

What it is:
When Mewtwo Forward Throws an opponent, they are hit multiple times by various Shadowballs. This, first off, causes the "No-Grab" timer to wear off. Second if you are moving forward, like being on the SV PF, the opponent doesn't get sent nearly as far while still getting pummeled by all 13% of SB. This allows Mewtwo to grab the opponent and Fthrow them again. and again. and again. Until they get to the edge, where you simply Dtilt-Fair them for the stock.

Information:
Okay. Fthrow true combos into Fair. Fthrow true combos into DJ Uair-Fair. The combos works surprisingly well. The only problem is if you get to the far side of the PF, it can be hard to grab them again. However, this allows you to immediate DJ Uair-Fair, which can kill. SDI is negligible. It's possible to true Nair out of it for Nair-DJ Uair-Fair. Usmash seems to not work, but I could just be messing up the JC a bit. It is reliable until approximately 45%

I'm gonna start testing other characters.

Anyways, this at the very least means that Fthrow-Fair and other stuff will true on most of the cast. The re-grab is still up in the air.

Okay, Mario is a nope in every catagory. He doesn't get hit by all the SB's, I am assuming his fall speed/gravity is to low.

Shiek gets hit by the extra stuff, and possibly the re-grab too. I spammed her Nair and it seems that it might be possible. Sadly, it is really close and I can't test it by myself.

Update: Re-grab is not possible on Shiek.

Rosalinna and Luma:
Nope

ZSS:
No true follow-ups.

Sonic:
nope

Cloud:
nope

Corrin:
Yes and no on corrin. You can get Uair and Fair, but no re-grab. He falls out, but he is hit by a specific ball that seemingly allows it to true.

Bayonetta:
True follow-ups, no re-grab

Ryu:
True follow-ups, no re-grab.

CF:
True follow-ups, no re-grab

Marth:
Tentative no. He is sent pretty high, and I wasn't able to easily get it.

Diddy Kong:
Nope

Yeah, so works on a fair number of top tiers.

Tested SDI on Fox:
1/4th speed, on the PF, downwards and out. Fox went nowhere. He is still hit by every orb, and it might actually make it work better to SDI like that. I thinnk SDI up would hurt more.

Who it Works on:
So far, it only works on Fox, Roy and Falco.

How Viable it is:
Situational, but if you get the grab on a PF, why not?

What else could come of this:

I will look into the implications of this as much as possible. Can Fthrow combo into moves on other characters? Why doesn't the chain-grab work on others? How applicable is it? I will update this thread as new stuff is being found.

Last edited:

miniyodadude

Smash Rookie
I'm having a hard time envisioning this, the link isn't working for me, but if you forward throw the opponent, don't they have enough time to air dodge? Maybe at low percents, fox being a fast faller, the characters that can be chain grabbed won't be sent up that high, but I would think forward throw sends them up too high.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
I'm having a hard time envisioning this, the link isn't working for me, but if you forward throw the opponent, don't they have enough time to air dodge? Maybe at low percents, fox being a fast faller, the characters that can be chain grabbed won't be sent up that high, but I would think forward throw sends them up too high.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-teJtkh5yOY

Here is a guide that I did on it.

Top Bottom