• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mewtwo Jablock / Shadowball & Ftilt lock guide

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
.:.:.:.:.:Mewtwo:.:.:.:.:.
A Guide to Jablocking :150:

Table of contents:

1. What is a Jablock?
2. How does it apply to Mewtwo?
3. Low percent setups
4. High percent setups
6. DI influence
5. Plaform Tumble setups

What is a Jablock?

A jablock happens when you hit the opponent with certain attacks with weak knockback exactly when they are knocked to the ground after getting hit (generally a Jab for most characters thus the name). If done correctly this will make the opponent unable to roll or do their getup attack, and is forced to immediately do a normal getup which allows you to get a free followup with almost anything afterwards!

In Brawl you could continue to jablock the opponent as long as you wanted to the edge of the stage, but in Smash 4 you are restricted to 3 jablock hits before the enemy gets knocked away from the ground.

How does this apply to Mewtwo?

Mewtwo has 2 moves that that can cause the enemy to go into a Jablock, and that's either a small shadowball or a Ftilt.
The neat thing about Shadowballs is that they can Jablock all the way until KO percents and beyond (as far as 430%!!) while Ftilt will only lock until about 15% (on midweights) before knocking the opponent away so it is a bit more situational in use and because of that most of this will focus on Shadowball locks.

To see how a Shadowball or Ftilt lock looks you can do a confusion and then hit with a shadowball or Ftilt exactly as the opponent lands which will cause the Jablock and make them unable and become forced to stand up if done correctly. This isn't a reliable setup though as the opponent can easily just jump away after the confusion ends.

However, luckily there are multiple safe Shadowball lock setups with Mewtwo that im gonna show you where many use a technique called djc SBC which is short for "doublejump canceled Shadowball Charge".
To do this just start charging a shadowball at the beginning of Mewtwo's double jump. This will cancel the momentum of mewtwo's double jump immediately and cause him to fall towards the ground while charging the Shadowball.

Onto the setups:

(The percent ranges are rounded to 5's, and those i've listed goes for midweights, might add lightweights and heavys too later)

Low Percent Setups

Dtilt > fj Footstool > djc sbc > Shadowball lock (Works at about 0% - 20%).

This setup works well on all characters, and is very easy to hit with as Dtilt is our best best combo starter and a safe move in the neutral.

What happens in this setup is that the opponent gets hit with Dtilt and i fulljump into a footstool, then i do a double jump but immediately start charging a shadowball which cancels the double jump. After that i fall down and hit the opponent with the Shadowball lock and then disable and F smash.

Keep in mind that almost all the setups Mewtwo can do to reliably setup a Shadowball lock uses footstools and it's crucial that you don't use your double jump before the footstool as this will cause Mewtwo to be unable to stop his momentum with a double jump canceled shadowball charge (djc sbc) afterwards!

ff Uair > fj Footstool > djc SBC > Shadowball lock (Works at about 0% - 20%)
This setup works on all characters except these:4diddy::4olimar::4greninja::4kirby::4duckhunt::4jigglypuff::4gaw: as they are too short to be hit by a up air when grounded and is best used out of a short hop airdodge (also called shad or Phase). This setup can be done into the 40% range too, but then you need to hit with the tipper/sourspot part of Uair which doesn't give a guranteed footstool like sweetspot can do.

ff Fair > fj Footstool > djc SBC > Shadowball lock (Works at 0% - 15%)
This one is a bit situational as it only works at lower percents, but is a bit safer than the Uair due to Fair being a more useful move in Mewtwo's neutral game. To do this setup you have to read the opponent's DI a bit to run the right distance before jumping for the footstool.

Then there's 3 setups that are not as reliable due to being from a tech chasebut still can still be useful as they don't require a footstool:

ff Fair > Shadowball lock (works at about 10 - 20%)
Easiest setup to do since it doesn't require a footstool or djc sbc. Works best against fastfallers since they fall faster to the ground and has less time to react with a tech. The percentage it starts working on is slightly different for every character since it is as soon as the character is sent into tumble animation by the Fair.

sh Fair > Shadowball lock (works at about 10 - 20%)

Not really it's own setup but a variation of the one above. Credit to Sonicninja115 Sonicninja115 for showing me this one!

ff Bair > Shadowball lock (works at 35 - 60%)
A okay setup setup but a bit situational as it works best on midweights since the timing is strict on fastfallers and floaties can easily react to jump out of it.

High Percent Setups

(Jab 1) > w Utilt > sh Footstool > djc SBC > Shadowball lock

This combo is quite special as it requires a specific timing for all characters since to do this combo you have to hit with the weak part of Utilt which is impossible against certain characters and on some it requires that you Jab and hit them with Utilt afterwards with a special timing. This is a very good KO setup on the characters it works on as it converts into a early KO with a simple Jab or Utilt.

I've provided a link to a thread below with more information on which characters it works on! The thread is for Jab > weak Utilt > Usmash, but replace the Usmash with the footstool and cut off some percents and the characters it works on should be about the same, inform me if it's different for any character though!
http://smashboards.com/threads/jab-or-utilt-ko-setup-characters-percents.422787/

Last hit Nair > Shadowball lock (Works at about 45 - 85% dmg)

This setup is pretty straightforward, just hit the opponent with the last hit of Nair and throw a uncharged shadowball and you have yourself a free followup and most likely a KO if you land it at the higher percents!

DI Influence?

Most opponent's who doesn't have knowledge of these footstool setups will DI away from Mewtwo as that is what you want to do to best avoid many of Mewtwo's combos and the window to react to it is quite small. Sometimes it will happen though that the opposing player DI's towards Mewtwo and ends up behind him so you can't hit them with the Shadowball lock when they land.

This can however be prevented if you do a turnaround-B or B-reverse Shadowball charge to change direction so you will be able to hit them with the Shadowball lock anyway when Mewtwo lands!

It can be quite tricky to time at first but the order the button's are pressed in a footstool setup should be like this done in a really quick motion for the B-reverse (facing right)

:GCX:(Jump) >:GCX:(Footstool) >:GCX:(Double jump) > :GCB:+ :GCL:(Shadowball charge + smash Control stick in opposite direction) > :GCB: (Launch Shadowball)

If done correctly it should look like this:

Unfortunately it's impossible to punish with a disable normally after the Jablock since they are turned away when they rise up from it, but there is a tricky way to do it...

When you have landed a jablock on a opponent facing away from you, you can then exactly when they have done their getup animation do a RAR jump > Footstool > DJC Disable to land a disable on the right side!
Credit to Swoops Swoops for the idea!

This only works on some characters though so i will add them here when i have labbed a bit with it as well as a visual example.

Platform Tumble lock Setups

When the opponent is standing on a platform close to the ground (battlefield side platforms, but not top platform for example), certain attacks will cause them to slip off and make them fall off in a special tumble animation (similiar to a footstool) where they will be unable to do anything while falling and neither tech when they land. This way Mewtwo can hit the opponent with a Shadowball or Ftilt lock afterwards and punish accordingly!

Nair platform tumble lock (works at all percents!)

(*Note that this video was done prepatch)

What happens in this setup is that you use Mewtwo's multiple low knockback hitboxes of the Nair to hit the opponent off the edge of a platform to tumbles off, and then you can Jablock the opponent with a Shadowball or Ftilt.
This is a very good and reliable setup as it doesn't require the opponent to stand at a specific spot on the platform and it works at all percents!

If you have trouble doing this, try to hit only with the first few Nair hits until the opponent is roughly at the center of the platform, and then fastfall before the final high knockback hit comes out.

A way to setup into this Jablock setup from the ground is to either Dthrow the other player up to the platform at midpercents or do a confusion to send them up, which only works on some characters (Marth for example)

Shadowball platform tumble lock (works at all percents)

If the opponent is standing close to the edge of a platform you can use small shadowballs (or semi charged at low percents) to push them off and go into the platform tumble animation, then afterwards hit with a Ftilt or Shadowball to lock them.
This one is pretty difficult to do against fastfallers since they fall to the ground fast and it's hard to do a Jablock in time when they land.
If your opponent happens to land close to the edge after the shadowball lock, one of the best punishes is Dtilt > dj Dair to get a spike as i've shown in the example above.

Bair platform tumble lock (works at 0 - 25%)

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Reserved just in case i add alot more :4mewtwo:

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
O h y e s

Jab locks are easily my personal favorite tricks to pull off, and I offer my sincerest gratitude for taking your time to do these! However I'm not to good with footstooling, as 99% of my footstools are accidental.
...Time to go practice! :chuckle:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Amazing guide! Thanks for putting this together, mine wouldn't have been nearly as detailed as this one!

Does anyone know if a buffered attack/special overrides a buffered movement?

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Hmm I always wanted to master jab lock and I just couldn't get a hang of it but with these guide I can master it

Browny

Smash Hater
Very good guide...

But its not a jab lock. its a jab reset. Which in itself is wrong because most characters in this game who can do this, do it with something other than a jab.

We need a new term for doing this in smash 4.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Excellent resource. Thanks for putting so much TLC into this! I added all these videos to my Mewtwo playlist so that I can pull these out during training sessions.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
O h y e s

Jab locks are easily my personal favorite tricks to pull off, and I offer my sincerest gratitude for taking your time to do these! However I'm not to good with footstooling, as 99% of my footstools are accidental.
...Time to go practice! :chuckle:
Thanks alot, im glad that you enjoyed it! And yeah same here! Jab locks look super cool while at the same time leading to very powerful followups and combos, and it feels pretty satisfiying when you master the setups ^^

Amazing guide! Thanks for putting this together, mine wouldn't have been nearly as detailed as this one!

Does anyone know if a buffered attack/special overrides a buffered movement?
Thanks so much! :)

Interesting question, i would believe attacks doesn't override movement but im not sure at all about that. What makes you wonder?

Very good guide...

But its not a jab lock. its a jab reset. Which in itself is wrong because most characters in this game who can do this, do it with something other than a jab.

We need a new term for doing this in smash 4.
In Melee it was called Jab reset and you could only do one attack before the lock ended, then in Brawl it was changed to Jablock since you could lock the opponent to the ground basically forever. In Smash 4 you can do 3 locks, but i also think Jablock is a slightly strange term at this point since so many other attacks are used by different characters but i used it in this guide mostly cause people are familiar with the term.
If there were not the situational use for F-tilt as a lock move i would probably have called it Shadowball locking since i think that sounds the most descriptive.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Thanks alot, im glad that you enjoyed it! And yeah same here! Jab locks look super cool while at the same time leading to very powerful followups and combos, and it feels pretty satisfiying when you master the setups ^^

Thanks so much! :)

Interesting question, i would believe attacks doesn't override movement but im not sure at all about that. What makes you wonder?

In Melee it was called Jab reset and you could only do one attack before the lock ended, then in Brawl it was changed to Jablock since you could lock the opponent to the ground basically forever. In Smash 4 you can do 3 locks, but i also think Jablock is a slightly strange term at this point since so many other attacks are used by different characters but i used it in this guide mostly cause people are familiar with the term.
If there were not the situational use for F-tilt as a lock move i would probably have called it Shadowball locking since i think that sounds the most descriptive.
I agree with Browny on his thoughts, but until people decide what to call Bowsers Uthrow-Uair there is no chance of this happening...

When testing out the Jab-step-Utilt-Usmash combo, I noticed that I sometimes wouldn't take a step, even though I buffered it. When I was working on my Bair tumble lock vid, I found That I was having a very hard time b-reversing the SB, most of the time I would get Bair-confusion instead. I eventually just used a Ftilt to lock the opponent.

I am just thinking about the precise qualities of Mewtwo's combos, as most of the time they are harder then some people think.

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
I agree with Browny on his thoughts, but until people decide what to call Bowsers Uthrow-Uair there is no chance of this happening...
I believe people are starting to call Bowser's uthrow-uair combo the "KOO-PA". Yes, in all caps. :p

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
I think that the KOO-PA sounds the coolest, and think it's a funny joke around the term Hoo-hah since he is King Koopa. Shell-schock is pretty cool also. Anyhow, that's slightly off topic xD

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Jab locking is basically the only use for ftilt, so I'm okay with using the term "jab lock," as opposed to something named after Shadow Ball.

"Jab lock" is a term that has been around for a long time, so I think it is good to use. Even if no jab is used, the concept is widely understood.

RayNoire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RayNoire
Bowser's combo is the Bow-Wow and I will not hear otherwise.

I get annoyed by the term jab lock when I play Luigi. I always think his jab jab locks, but it doesn't even though there's no reason for it not to. Regardless, if we rename something it should be the setup. "Nair platform tumble to jab lock" is a pretty wordy term for an actually relevant tech.

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Bowser's combo is the Bow-Wow and I will not hear otherwise.

I get annoyed by the term jab lock when I play Luigi. I always think his jab jab locks, but it doesn't even though there's no reason for it not to. Regardless, if we rename something it should be the setup. "Nair platform tumble to jab lock" is a pretty wordy term for an actually relevant tech.
Yeah i can see that it could be slightly annoying with such a lenghtly term especially for commentators on tournaments :p but it's pretty hard to think of a alternative name that accurately describes what's going on imo so i think it's pretty okay as it is. If someone can think of something more practical to call it that would be cool of course.

Last edited:

PEACE7

Smash Champion
Man i love when you post a new thread, always bringing good stuff around! Do you have any matches of your Mewtwo anywhere? I'm curious to see what your Mewtwo looks like in a match.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Man i love when you post a new thread, always bringing good stuff around! Do you have any matches of your Mewtwo anywhere? I'm curious to see what your Mewtwo looks like in a match.
Thanks! ^^ I try to make it as interesting as possible whenever i post something that could be new information.

And sadly nope, i don't have any matches up online at the moment since i've had a thumb injury since 2 months back and been unable to play as well as usual (have adjusted and been playing with index and middle finger instead with grab set to Y) but now it's starting to get better so i will eventually upload some matches to my Youtube channel soon =)

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Thanks! ^^ I try to make it as interesting as possible whenever i post something that could be new information.

And sadly nope, i don't have any matches up online at the moment since i've had a thumb injury since 2 months back and been unable to play as well as usual (have adjusted and been playing with index and middle finger instead with grab set to Y) but now it's starting to get better so i will eventually upload some matches to my Youtube channel soon =)
Get well soon, and don't push yourself. Hand injuries are no joke, and video games aren't the best for the healing process.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Get well soon, and don't push yourself. Hand injuries are no joke, and video games aren't the best for the healing process.
Thanks! I don't use the injured part of my hand at all when playing with my adjusted control scheme though (similiar to a claw grip) so it shouldn't have an effect on the healing process but yeah im trying my best not to do too straining stuff when playing!

PEACE7

Smash Champion

Great job so far dude and sorry to hear about that i hope you heal quickly and properly and i look forward to seeing some videos.

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Metalex Metalex after messing around with some of this in training, you can still land a disable on a turned-around opponent using @TheReflexWonder footstool > dj disable tech. (I believe he found this, my apologies if I'm wrong on that)

It should help with the reverse shadowball lock situation. So basically:

Reverse SB lock, RAR jump, footstool, dj disable.

Use the turnaround animation and dj to carry your momentum over to the other side with disable. Doesn't work on all characters sadly :(

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Metalex Metalex after messing around with some of this in training, you can still land a disable on a turned-around opponent using @TheReflexWonder footstool > dj disable tech. (I believe he found this, my apologies if I'm wrong on that)

It should help with the reverse shadowball lock situation. So basically:

Reverse SB lock, RAR jump, footstool, dj disable.

Use the turnaround animation and dj to carry your momentum over to the other side with disable. Doesn't work on all characters sadly :(
Awesome, hadn't thought of that! Gotta test it a bit and will add it it to the guide afterwards. Thanks for the idea!
Do you know which characters footstool > dj Disable works on?

(The Footstool > dj Disable tech wasn't discovered by Reflex btw since it was talked about in one of "Mysmashcorners" video a while back, but the tech got some more attention again after his recent video!)

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
I haven't done extensive testing on all characters. From what I remember though, it was working on Mario. I would imagine it works at least on anyone his height and taller.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Added 2 new setups to the OP, one which is added to the high percent setup section and another low percent setup who is a variation of the Fair one. Here's how the new high percent setup looks:

Also tweaked some of the percents of the other setups so they should be more accurate! Will add more stuff to the thread again soon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom