• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mewtwo combo & tech sharing thread

theflaminggamer

Smash Cadet
NNID
theflaminggamer2
I can't really find any threads for combo and tech sharing , because I suck at finding things , so I decided to make one. Please no vulgarity, ok?

Please check this list before posting threads
•Ledge cancel up b
•Side b to uncharted shadow ball jab lock
•Side special d air
•Side special f air
•Slide grab (experamental)
•Jab cancel grab combos
•Jab= stun
•SH shadow ball gliding
•Specials cancel 2nd jump
•Jab to dtilt to fair
•air -> Grab (what?)
•Uair -> Jab 1
•Uair ->Utilt
•Uair -> Usmash
•Uair -> Fair
•Uair -> Uair
(The list is ever changing, so check back often.)

Sorry about not updating this for like, four months. I've just been really busy.

Last edited:

Bluew

Smash Rookie
NNID
professorj97
3DS FC
1048-9764-9641
Side-b to uncharged shadow ball jab locks.

Bluew

Smash Rookie
NNID
professorj97
3DS FC
1048-9764-9641
Nah. They can act out of side-b too quick. Training mode is not a reliable testing ground.
I use it on my friends as a mix up, but they're not that good.

MisterCTM

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0387-9736-6460
I use it on my friends as a mix up, but they're not that good.
The best you're gonna get off side-b is that your opponent will hopefully attack out of it. You can shield before they can attack so you can shieldgrab them or drop shield shadowball if you have one charged up

firecheetah

Smash Rookie
the first jab will force your opponent to face you (if they happen to be looking away), and i think might even stun them long enough to land a successful disable. not sure if the stun exists or not but i did it about a million times last night in For Glory so either it exists or nobody teched out of it. great for catching roll happy players who keep trying to get behind you

SH nair is one of the best out of shield options he has. depending on where the opponent gets sent flying on the last hit, you could follow up with a fair or another nair. ive carried people across the whole stage with just nairs at low percents. very satisfying

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
the first jab will force your opponent to face you (if they happen to be looking away), and i think might even stun them long enough to land a successful disable. not sure if the stun exists or not but i did it about a million times last night in For Glory so either it exists or nobody teched out of it. great for catching roll happy players who keep trying to get behind you

SH nair is one of the best out of shield options he has. depending on where the opponent gets sent flying on the last hit, you could follow up with a fair or another nair. ive carried people across the whole stage with just nairs at low percents. very satisfying

Jab has a small stun, enough to guarantee a grab. As for disable, the lag is not enough, they can shield the disable. Apart from shielding I don't know if there is anything else they could do. Someone who knows of frame data should do a comparison and see just how many frames the opponent is able to act out of.

firecheetah

Smash Rookie
Jab has a small stun, enough to guarantee a grab. As for disable, the lag is not enough, they can shield the disable. Apart from shielding I don't know if there is anything else they could do. Someone who knows of frame data should do a comparison and see just how many frames the opponent is able to act out of.
ah, i see. well hey, a grab form mewtwo can finish a stock, too, so i got no complaints

MisterCTM

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0387-9736-6460
It's hard to do frame date (at least from what I've gathered so far) right now because like the fighter files or something haven't been released? Idk I saw people talking about it in some thread on reddit. Not sure what that means though.
If I have some time I'll try and get some frame date myself best I can.

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
As a Samus Main, first thing I tried out is SH AD aerial attack, and Mewtwo has almost the exact same SH height & floatyness like Samus. I'm pretty sure SH AD fair/bair/uair will be important in Mewtwos Metagame.

An example Match (white Mewtwo = me)

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
Guys, Side special can almost link into any attack, Like side special to D-air. Also, Mewtwo's N-air has VERY little end lag.

TheTwistedHero

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheTwistedHero
side b into fair is a reliable kill it would seem at later percentage. Considering he racks up damage easy, this can be helpful

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Teleport has more landing lag if you appear with it in the air. Therefore, it's better to appear in the ground with it.

Mewtwo's rolls are still poor compared to the rest of the cast. I believe that grounded Teleporting sideways is better than rolling with Mewtwo. Invincible almost as soon as you activate it, and the invincibility lasts until Mewtwo appears again. It's also faster than Palutena's Warp and Zelda's Farore's Wind, though it doesn't travel as far as the latter.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Please do not decry me, instead just say something like "actually (insert statement here)"

Well actually, training mode doesn't know how to handle grabs, so anything and everything you do after a grab is registered as a combo. You can pummel grab release and get combos to 999. Side-B is a command grab so anything that follows Side-B will say it's a combo but in reality it isn't.

As it stands right now, Side-B doesn't combo into anything. Also many characters can actually punish you for landing it, or at least place you in a disadvantegous position.

N-Air doesn't have a lot of lag but the lag is noticeable and even when spacing it correctly it's incredibly easy to punish. Also you cannot SH it as landing before the move is over allows your opponent to act out faster than you allowing at the very least a shield grab and possibly something much worse depending on what character you're fighting against.

I still need much more experience but I think F-Air is much better in lag, damage, range, speed, safety. Basically better than N-Air for approaches in every way.

Last edited:

Captain Justice

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nacholovr
3DS FC
1848-1848-8415
Guys, Side special can almost link into any attack, Like side special to D-air. Also, Mewtwo's N-air has VERY little end lag.
Side special does not leave people open long enough for a reliable followup, at least not against half-decent players. You can literally mash buttons out of it. Side special should only be used as a mix-up or reflector. Testing side special in training is extremely unreliable. Just landing the move will get you a combo of 9, where a player can just mash jump or aerials out of it to escape.
A useful technique is grab release disable. It is nowhere near guaranteed, but is a great mix-up.

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I definitely agree with Fair being superior for spacing. Nair seems decent for catching dodges and comboing in the air, but wouldn't use it to space.

Captain Justice

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nacholovr
3DS FC
1848-1848-8415
Side special turns Mewtwo around if used in the air opposite the direction he is currently facing. A useful tactic for reaching the ledge against an edgegaurding opponent is bair as you approach the stage. Using Side-B to turn yourself around and then Bair as you approach the stage makes for a pretty safe recovery. If recovering low, upair also reaches through the stage.

Last edited:

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul
Not sure if anybody else has found this yet, but I just found he can do a sort of super fast, reverse grab. It's like a reversed pivot and he grabs and slides a little. If you do it right, his grab is twice as fast.

I'll try record some footage of it later.

Sliding grab, I guess it could be called?

Last edited:

Captain Justice

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nacholovr
3DS FC
1848-1848-8415
Not sure if anybody else has found this yet, but I just found he can do a sort of super fast, reverse grab. It's like a reversed pivot and he grabs and slides a little. If you do it right, his grab is twice as fast.

I'll try record some footage of it later.

Sliding grab, I guess it could be called?
Sounds interesting. How long is the slide after the grab? Is it comparable to SH shadow ball gliding or Captain Falcon's dash grab?

simpleglitch

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1907-8424-2856
Teleport has more landing lag if you appear with it in the air. Therefore, it's better to appear in the ground with it.

Mewtwo's rolls are still poor compared to the rest of the cast. I believe that grounded Teleporting sideways is better than rolling with Mewtwo. Invincible almost as soon as you activate it, and the invincibility lasts until Mewtwo appears again. It's also faster than Palutena's Warp and Zelda's Farore's Wind, though it doesn't travel as far as the latter.
What exactly is so poor about his rolls? They seem pretty quick and cover a good distance?

Captain Justice

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nacholovr
3DS FC
1848-1848-8415
What exactly is so poor about his rolls? They seem pretty quick and cover a good distance?
The ending lag is fairly long, or at least that's my opinion. It makes his rolls fairly easy to punish.

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul
Sounds interesting. How long is the slide after the grab? Is it comparable to SH shadow ball gliding or Captain Falcon's dash grab?
It's about half a second. So he grabs the opponent, and then slides just a little. It's a lot shorter than his SH-SB gliding.

Somebody's probably already found this, but I thought it would be interesting to point out lol. I don't have a capture card, but I'll try record it a bit later.

Edit: Oh, seems you can control the distance of it too!

He can also do it with other attacks. I guess it's some type of pivot?

Last edited:

WolfPackWarlock

Smash Rookie
side b into fair is a reliable kill it would seem at later percentage. Considering he racks up damage easy, this can be helpful
A NAir coming down over the top can lead to this. I think they've got to have at least 150 for the sideb to lag them enough though.

Captain Justice

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nacholovr
3DS FC
1848-1848-8415
It's about half a second. So he grabs the opponent, and then slides just a little. It's a lot shorter than his SH-SB gliding.

Somebody's probably already found this, but I thought it would be interesting to point out lol. I don't have a capture card, but I'll try record it a bit later.

This tech could be pretty useful for stage control. Mewtwo already has great spacing options, (spacing is arguably his greatest strength) but this could offer even more control. Would it be possible to do the grab and throw an opponent, but still retain the sliding momentum?

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex

He can also do it with other attacks. I guess it's some type of pivot?
Is it a perfect pivot or a pivot grab? Because Mewtwo's does slide quite far.

Last edited:

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
I find Mewtwo's inability to cancel out of his 2nd jump with an aerial attack to be very awkward. The 2nd jump follows through no matter what now. I just hope it can lead into interesting followups.

UPDATE: just realized that special attacks can cancel 2nd jumps. Looks like I found an extra use for Confusion.

Last edited:

Captain Justice

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nacholovr
3DS FC
1848-1848-8415
Is it a perfect pivot or a pivot grab? Because Mewtwo's does slide quite far.
This would make a lot of sense. Mewtwo does slide quite far on a pivot, if my memory is correct. However, the fact that you can change the distance you slide is different. It would be great if a video could get put up soon, but I realize that you (probably) have a life outside of smash.

Last edited:

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul
This would make a lot of sense. Mewtwo does slide quite far on a pivot, if my memory is correct. However, the fact that you can change the distance you slide is different. It would be great if a video could get put up soon, but I realize that you (probably) have a life outside of smash.
A video can be up soon, just it's 1.23 am here, I've been in training mode all night, and I have work in the morning THEN an event on after that (smash event basically) so I won't be able to get up anything until probably tomorrow or the day after. My boyfriend plans on buying a capture card soon, perhaps I'll put together a video of some stuff, including that pivot grab thing. :)

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Captain Justice beat me to it, his post is right: they do cover good distance like Samus's rolls, but also like her rolls they are slower than average and are punishable. He has a lot of lag at the end of the roll.

Not to mention, teleporting covers about as much distance as his rolls and he also acts out faster as long as you appear standing on the ground and not in the air. Short hop air dodging might also be Mewtwos way of rolling and dodging. He's so floaty he will finish the air dodge before landing.

Last edited:

Captain Justice

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nacholovr
3DS FC
1848-1848-8415
Captain Justice beat me to it, his post is right: they do cover good distance like Samus's rolls, but also like her rolls they are slower than average and are very punishable.

Not to mention teleporting covers about as much distance and is faster. Short hop air dodging might also be Mewtwos way of rolling and dodging. He's so floaty he will finish the air dodge before landing.
Yes. This is amazing. You can often follow up with a Fair if you need a quick punish, and disable may work as well.

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
Watch my video I've linked and you will understand why SH AD is in every situation better than his roll.

Last edited:

Gr4pefru1t

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Octorock
Similar to Palutena's Jab cancel, Jab cancel, Jab cancel Grab combo, this technique can be applied to Mewtwo as well. At higher percents, you can Jab > Jab > Grab, Up throw. Up throw is, in my opinion, his strongest throw. While back throw is also a viable option, it only kills at the edge.

MisterCTM

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0387-9736-6460
Watch my video I've linked and you will understand why SH AD is in every situation better than his roll.
Before I watched it I was skeptical.I just watched it and now I'm 100% a believer. However, hour opponent wasn't very good. A lot of the stupid stuff you were doing (like dthrow to upsmash and sideB to smash) are very easily escapable. Taking that into account, it remains to be seen how well this tactic will be able to be used against top level players.

MisterCTM

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0387-9736-6460
Similar to Palutena's Jab cancel, Jab cancel, Jab cancel Grab combo, this technique can be applied to Mewtwo as well. At higher percents, you can Jab > Jab > Grab, Up throw. Up throw is, in my opinion, his strongest throw. While back throw is also a viable option, it only kills at the edge.
How do you jab cancel? Is it that tech where you press down on the control stick during the jab ?

MisterCTM

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0387-9736-6460
Man we really need some sort of centralized list of stuff we've found out like this? We're hardly finding any new stuff, it's just people who keep repeating known stuff that they've just found out.. :(

Not trying to bash anyone who has done this, all the information that has found out about M2 is cluttered all over the place. It just is super annoying having like 100 posts where 85 of those posts are repeating well known things by now...

Top Bottom