• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (Spoiler-free!)

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
They have been deleted:eek: . Is there another link that will give pictures of Metroid Prime 2 and not from the first page in this topic?

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
I'll host then ;)

Old screens from Game Informer/Nintendo Power

New screens

MP2 Samus model > MP1 Samus model :)

Seems that there will be a Phazon beam (or another beam) as seen in the second last picture.

Will there be gates between worlds?? Or are those things power-up holders?

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
Can someone tell me why the left half of the second screenshot is of Resident Evil 4? Now I'm just wondering if that second set was just messed up when they scanned them, or they're fake. If not, then it looks like there's a lot more third-person action (third to last shot).

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
Can someone tell me why the left half of the second screenshot is of Resident Evil 4?
Because those are the screenshots from Nintendo Power, and there were probably screenshots for both games on the same page.

My favorite screenshot is the fourth to last one... the one that looks like there's energy explosions going on, or force fields or something. It looks really interesting, whatever it is. I'm not really sure if I like the new health and missile displays. It seems like the unneccessarily take up more space on the screen than the old ones.

bluelion20

Smash Ace
Whoa. The new screens are awesome (I didn't see them the first time I guess). Thanks MK :bee:!!! Anyway, I dunno if the second to last one is a phazon/new beam. IMO, it looks like the wave beam. But it still does look a lot darker, I guess we'll just have to wait.

I will be dissapointed if we don't get the phazon/new beam to use all the time, like im MP1 where you could only use the Phazon beam in the Phazon pools. But I'm curious to know what the second picture is in the new screens. Possibly a Co-op mode? Or am I just dumb, and its just 2 smaller pictures together?

MP mode looks pretty much like most all FPS versus modes. Still, its better then nothing. I can only hope for LAN, and then we get warppipe most likely. I think having LAN would make sense though, as its an fps.

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, I think having the morph ball alone will make it anything but standard FPS multiplayer ;) I can just imagine getting ambushed by another player, and quickly morphing into the ball to boost away. The other player quickly morphs as well and gives chase, while trying to avoid the bombs I drop in his path. Hehe, and I'm sure there will be tons of unique multiplayer modes like the ones we discussed before. I still don't think that multiplayer is really a good extension for the Metroid series, but at this point I don't really care that they're adding it, since it's not like it will affect the single player game.

Here's what I'm hoping they add in single player: More uses for the beams, like the uses they have from previous Metroid titles. Specifically, I'm talking about using the ice beam to freeze enemies so you can use them as platforms to reach higher areas... and also having the wave beam be able to shoot through walls. Simply adding these two aspects to the game would open many new level design opportunities, imo. There also needs to be more uses for the different visors, like locating regular enemies weak points (not just bosses), or something. The thermal visor got a fair amount of use in MP1, I suppose... but the X-Ray visor was rarely used at all, except for two bosses, and a couple hidden items. And the number one feature I'd like to see added is the normal speed boost (and of course, walls that can only be broken while speed boosting). One of the greatest complaints from many people (not myself) about MP1 was that Samus moved to slowly. Simply adding this upgrade would fix that instantly. It would also be nice to see the screw attack, but that might be harder to add... I suppose they could just make it so that if you hit an enemy while jumping, they die (or at least take damage in the case of bosses). Lastly, there should be more areas that require the morph ball. The side scrolling puzzles that required well timed bomb jumps were one of my favorite parts of MP1... it was so old-school. They need more of that!

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Holy wicked crap, that new helmet is frickin' awesome! In the 2nd screen it doesn't even look like Samus, more like something you'd see in Star Wars (including whatever she is in).

I was going to try to not see so much of this game so it'd be really fresh when I played it but now that I've seen these new screens I know I'll be watching every video and looking at every screen.

I hate you so much, MK. ;)

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
D*mn you two! I promised myself not to watch any vids from E3 and only a few screens... but now that I don't have you to back me up I guess I'll just succomb(sp?) to the pressure.

And as Cashed said it, the helmet is lookin' 10 times better than it did in Metroid Prime.

The whole MP2 model is much more like the model from Super Metroid and Melee.

*can't wait to see some real screens, and not just scans*

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Ending game spoilers from Metroid Prime are in this post, no need to worry until after the screen shot though.

Hmm, I was just browsing Nintendo.com and typed Metroid Prime 2 into the search area. I hit enter. Up comes one result.

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

After looking at the pictures more I thought too...

That screen with the "Samus" erm, this one:

That's Metroid Prime. The arm that came out of the ooze in Metroid Prime... We're going to be hunting down Metroid Prime yet again. The "Echoes" name also makes sense if I'm right too. An Echo, a replica of Samus that is an old enemy. I AM SO ****ING SMART, YEAH.

More screen versions:

Ooooh! Look at the D-Pad and C-Stick interfaces now, you can really tell what you're picking instead of having to remember their directions!

There we go. For once, thank you Nintendo. Oh and no need to thank me for being the one to brave Nintendo's website. ;)

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hunted by a mysterious entity
So that quote, tied with the possible identity of the dark armored Halo-looking dude Cash theorized leads me to think that this is going to be a lot like Metroid Fusion, but in 3D. I hope not. Not that I have anything against Fusion, it just seems like the plot of having "another Samus" chasing you has been used, and would be ridiculously unoriginal to use again.

Lightsaberboy

Smash Champion
how are they gonna explain how she lost all her upgrades?

and if we're gonna still have 4 beam weapons, do you think they're gonna be the same ones, or they'll put in new ones?

looks promising! The visor looks a bit different tho, but other than that, everything looks sweet! I wonder what that big blue-green ball she was standing in in that one picture was. Perhaps a portal that jumps you to another location, or how the new save spots look? hmm...

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
God if it's a portal I'll be so freaking happy and I'll have more enthusiasm to beat this one more than Prime. Walking everywhere is alright at first but when you have to backtrack to everywhere to get the Chozo Artifacts it's just plain annoying.

Flok

BRoomer
BRoomer
Is this still on Tallon IV? I don't remember Tallon IV blewing up at the end of Metroid Prime, it didn't right?

That black dude being Metroid Prime, it can be possible, so we'll get to see something like this again(it was the same with Super Mario and Liquid Mario in Sunshine), well i'm not disappointed because chasing Liquid was fun. But from what i'm getting to read here Metroid Prime is gonna chase Samus!

Lots of sequels on the Cube these days!

Bowser87

Smash Lord
The name's not bad, though MP2 alone was fine with me.
I was expecting Metroid Prime to be chasing you all the time in the game, but that "Ing" race is strange. It sounds like it's taking place in a new planet, but I wonder what the Metroid Prime would be doing there? Tallon IV never blew up, BTW, only the temple did, and the "doomed planet" thing might be a reference to Tallon IV after all, but I still think it will be a new one.
I can't wait for more information, this is the number one game I'm waiting for!

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
Portals would be sweet. It would help to explain how the pseudo-Samus could get to a new planet (if it is a new one). I'm very intrigued about this planet divided into light and dark. Possibly the internal clock of the GameCube will play a role like in Animal Crossing; when you play at night new creatures emerge.

The more screens we get, the better this game looks.

Lightsaberboy

Smash Champion
whoa, there's gonna be light and dark in this? I didnt know about that!
And maybe the pseudo-samus is chasing samus cause it's pissed that she destroyed it last time? that would be incentive enough to chase someone to another planet.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I'm suprisd noone has mentioned the multiplayer screens. So you DO play as Samus and can go morphball. Cool. Maybe there'll be morphball racing? The only negative I can think of is the weapon/visor selct cren, is the colour sms a little bright. I perfered the old colou. ut if you can modify the visor settings again....eey![/fonz]

SabreAnt

Smash Lord
Slight spoliage of MP1 in this post.

Lol, I was wondering, does anyone have any theories on what will cause Samus to lose all of her powerups at the start of this game? I was thinking maybe the large thing in the screenshot perhaps.. is that Prime that crawled out of the goo? I think I saw someone post that.. CSHD maybe?

I like Arrow's thought on Multiplayer. Retro will do a good job, we know enough to be sure of that. Even if it is ridiculous scenarios and such, chasing each other in Morph Balls is too good! Set Power Bombs in you wake to disrupt you pursuer! Maybe a Phazon suit pickup that only one player can have! Like a capture the flag style of game. OOohoOoH the possibilities.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
Originally posted by Crouching Shiek, Hidden Dragon

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

After looking at the pictures more I thought too...

That screen with the "Samus" erm, this one:

That's Metroid Prime. The arm that came out of the ooze in Metroid Prime... We're going to be hunting down Metroid Prime yet again. The "Echoes" name also makes sense if I'm right too. An Echo, a replica of Samus that is an old enemy. I AM SO ****ING SMART, YEAH.

I don't see that possible that person shooting is way to light. The hand that came out of that goo at the end of MP1 was a really dark black.

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
Yeah I don't thinik that's Metroid Prime either. It's more likely to be an Ing, GF trooper, or something completely different.

concerning the title: If they just removed that single 2 then I would like it a lot more, but now I'm just being nit-picky ;)

Echoes is cool enough.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Spoilers for MP1

Misto, when you saw the arm come out it was in a really ****ing dark cave.

For those of you wanting to see it but haven't (or those of you who have seen it but want to see it again):

Like Misto said, it is really dark looking compared to the character in the other screen but it was in a dark cave.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Re: Spoilers for MP1

Originally posted by Crouching Shiek, Hidden Dragon
Like Misto said, it is really dark looking compared to the character in the other screen but it was in a dark cave.
Also, at the end of the first one, they may have been planning for Prime to be in a black suit, and then changed their minds when working on the sequel.

Or maybe we'll all just wrong. It's possible :p.

Also, pardon my ignorance for a moment, but what is the difference between scans and screens?

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
I'm thinking the black suited person is a GF trooper. Look at that ship-like thing that he/she is in... Looks to be some spacecraft, and IMO the person is clad in what I would consider to be GF style suits, and it looks most like that person is defending the ship from attack. Just what I think. Metroid Prime would be a lot more creepy-like than a shiny space person anyway. Kind of like those preview vids from way back in the beginning of the topic.

Ice_Climbers2

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hunted by a mysterious entity
Wouldn't this "entity" most likely be the creature we all saw handle her in the old E3 video? Just looking at what it did, it seems the thing is almost carrying a grudge. That black guy could just be one of many Fed. troopers or Ing soliders. We don't know yet if that dude is really hunting Samus.

And on the subject of him, maybe it'd be possible to be the black guy in mulitplayer. His weapons would just be finding other hand-held guns that had the same powers as Samus' arm cannon upgrades. If that was possible, it wouldn't always be Samus vs Samus vs Samus vs Samus...

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I think that guy looking like Master chief is Retro's little joke so that when Samus beats it (if it's a boss, if not, meh) that Prime is better than Halo.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Originally posted by Kid Icarus
And I agree with Foxxy, Retro isn't bound to using the color or design they had in mind at the end of Prime for the new Prime...
I agree as well, Retro changed Samus's visor, why can't they change the bloody color of an enemy?

Arrow

BRoomer
BRoomer
Originally posted by Ice_Climbers2
Wouldn't this "entity" most likely be the creature we all saw handle her in the old E3 video? Just looking at what it did, it seems the thing is almost carrying a grudge. That black guy could just be one of many Fed. troopers or Ing soliders. We don't know yet if that dude is really hunting Samus.
Good point, and I hope you're right. I almost forgot about the creature from the E3 video after this batch of screenshots was released. Clearly it will play an important part in the game, so I would be willing to bet that you may be right about it being the thing that's hunting Samus. I also think that video is probably part of the intro (or at least the beginning segment) of Echoes, and the creature's brutal beating of Samus is what will result in her obligatory loss of powers.

So that leads us back to the question of the identity of the armored figure. I think an important factor that this question hinges on is where Echoes will take place. Is it on Tallon IV again? Many of the environments look similar, and it seems like I remember Retro stating once that it would... but I'm not certain. If it's Tallon, we know that the Metroid Prime is certainly going to still be a threat. The fact that so far they've left the game titled "Metroid Prime 2: Echoes" as opposed to just "Metroid Echoes" also leads me to believe that the Metroid Prime itself must still be an important aspect.

But then what of the Ing? Why did we never hear of this species back during the events of MP1? The theory about the armor-clad figure being a GF soldier intrigues me. Except for Metroid Fusion, the Federation has played very little role in the series... having a direct confrontation with them would certainly make this game more unique. Perhaps Samus has stumbled onto something the Feds don't want her to know about, so they're trying to stop her. This could lead to a plot similar to Half-Life. Interesting, to say the least.

When I read the line about the light and dark worlds, the first thing I thought of was Zelda: A Link to the Past. But the more I thought about it, I realized that this was probably just a figure of speech referring to Samus's battle against evil. Something like the plot of ALTTP would be a little too mysticial for the Metroid series, in my opinion. Heh, long post... I could discuss Metroid all day :p Well, I've said it before, and I'll say it again... hopefully we'll have all (or most) of the answers in 3 weeks. But until then, it sure is fun to guess.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Ok I think it's either Metroid prime or a GF soldier. If you look at the visor it's the same blue as Metroid Prime and looks too big to be a visor. A reason it could be a GF soldier is because he's shooting at an unknown figure on a damaged and burning ship. Maybe Metroid Prime Attacked it knowing that Samus will go back and the guy tried to fight metroid Prime and dies. Then maybe Samus could have gotten a call to go and investigate. That is just a theory but I mostly believe my second theory.

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
Originally posted by Ice_Climbers2
Wouldn't this "entity" most likely be the creature we all saw handle her in the old E3 video?
Nope. From the look of the scans/screens these creatures will be a regular enemy. There is one scan where there two of these creatures at once(will find picture later). If anything this is the Ing race.

I'm almost 100% sure that the entity is reffering to Metroid Prime out to get revenge.

I'm also 100% sure that the "Halo Dude" is NOT Metroid Prime. First of all, they wouldn't spoil the appearance of the new Metroid Prime in the very very first batch of screens. Secondly there's no arm cannon. And then it doesn't look like a phazon suit at all, and if Metroid Prime would look a bit different than Samus in a phazon suit then it would look much more demonic/evil/etc. (just take the moving eye on the hand for an example.)

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
Well, we can always just wait until E3, where hopefully more will be told. It's not that far away anyway.

But what part will the Ing actually have? Are the Ing perhaps a faction of the Space Pirates? Or are they a scavanging race that (if this is Tallon IV) saw the shrine up in flames after MP and came to get the things left over but stumbled on something that would make them a direct threat to Samus.
If the Ing aren't at all related to the Space Pirates, then will the Space Pirates make an appearance? If so, will they fight the Ing and Samus?

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
GF = Galactic Federation, the people Samus works for...

I am looking forward to no game more than this... well, okay, except for Tales of Sympiona. I'm not as excited about this game as much as the first, though. I mean, as much as I'm sure I'll love this game, its not something totally new nor is it the first Metroid game in eight years.

Thwick

Smash Journeyman
Definitely looking forward to this as well. Let's hope the Multiplayer gets done correctly so that it's a good addition unlike DK64's crappy multiplayer that seemed like it was an afterthought. Maybe one of the biggest games of E3 right here.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
DUDE, that can't be Adam. Adam was Samus's computer before the ship was destroyed. He "died" because the ship crashed and saved Samus by doing an auto eject to save her. It has a better chance of being a GF soldier.

Top Bottom