• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meteoring opponent into ledge causes trajectory to become horizontal

Daeeedal

Smash Rookie
Title says it all. Using 3.02 fullset on Dolphin. I've down it thrice butI didn't save the last replay :p. Below is a video with the first two occurences isolated from each replay.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
looks like sdi into a missed tech leading to wonky trajectories? you can make goofy stuff like that happen with ganon by sdi-ing a stomp to put you above the stage, then teching and having it throw you across the stage and then carry the momentum down off the other end (or something like that... the gif i saw of it was even goofier looking than your instances but i'm sure a lot of that has to do with the power of ganon's dair....)

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
That is actually a result of your opponent spamming buttons and likely desperately trying to DI towards the stage, which is why momentum carries on across the stage. It's not necessarily a bug I don't think. Just looks really weird when it happens.

GoldHazard

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, it's doubtful this is a bug. Similar things like this have happened in Melee, but never to the extreme hilarity that is presented in this video. Most of the time in SSBM when a character was meteor'd flat into a surface from the air, the character would basically just hit the surface, and the momentum would basically be nullified at the expense of extended stun. A missed tech wouldn't necessarily cause this, although I have had momentum carry me after a successful tech. It's probably just a combination of SDI, paired with the new physics system that overlays the brawl physics that's causing the nonsense. I don't think it's game breaking in any sense of the phrase, but it is certainly interesting to see. It's only happened to me once during a game, and I never really bothered to question it.

Nice job getting a video of this though. It's not exactly a common occurrence, at least not from my personal standpoint, and I don't believe anyone I know personally who plays this game has experienced this firsthand, however it's still very interesting to watch.

Last edited:

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
I know that if you tech in a certain way after taking a big hitstun hit, if you're frame perfect about it you can even glide across the blastzones as if they were a wall. This is displayed a lot in TAS Brawl matches I think.

Top Bottom