• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meteor Cancelling

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
Most people probably think or have been told that the meteor cancel timing in brawl is 25 frames. However, it turns out that this is not entirely true for all characters.

After X amount of frames of hitstun from being sent downward, you can meteor cancel.

Longer than usual window: Charizard (30), Meta Knight (32), Pit (32), Wolf (60)
Shorter than usual window: Ivysaur (15), Olimar (15), Yoshi (20), ZSS (15)
Everyone else: 25

For PSA users, attribute 0x05C is the meteor cancel frame.

Woooow. Note only did they give Wolf some of THE stiffest recovery options in the game, but they give him the longest wait for meteor canceling.

But at least they slapped an extra 7 frames on MK, that sort of makes up for it.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
my bro plays PT. He's always told me that Ivysaur could jump out faster. He said he could just tell. I didn't believe him, lol

Toomai

Smash Ace
If Wolf just walks off the edge he'll travel 96.43 units down in 60 frames. That's 83.7% of the distance to death off of Battlefield.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I survived a Snake's fair spike at 90% with Ivysaur once.

It was funny, and I guess this explains why.

righteousrook73

Smash Rookie
NNID
righteousrook73
It makes sense for MK and Pit to have longer hitstun, their getbacks are ridiculous...but why Wolf? lol his isnt that great...nor is Charizard's for that matter...

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
lmao this provides insight into how 'good' sakurai is at judging certain things. obviously wolf got shafted for no reason (tbh i think it's a mistake) but notice that the other three have something in common...a glide. nvm the fact that zard's glide is awful and that there are many characters who do a much better job of recovering from a spike anyway (ROB, sonic, G&W, DDD, etc...)

@gimr yeh, as a PT player i feel like this only proves what i felt for so long lol

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Does the frame count start from the hitlag or when the knockback starts?

Also, if I start holding Up during the first few frames and press B repeatedly, does the "fail" window prevent the Up-B from working as soon as it would normally be possible? If so, what if I'm holding Up before the Meteor Smash hits me?

Is there a list of moves that count as Meteor Smashes somewhere?

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Moves that send downwards like Marth's dair, Ganon's dair, etc. Also, IIRC, there are no true spikes in Brawl (moves you can't Meteor Cancel.)

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Is that a universal rule? For example, can you Meteor Cancel Fox's D-Air? What about Ivysaur's N-Air "spike" hitbox?

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Is that a universal rule? For example, can you Meteor Cancel Fox's D-Air? What about Ivysaur's N-Air "spike" hitbox?
They aren't strong enough to meteor cancel. Those turn into like... Zelda's sour-spot dair. They don't have the minimal frames of hit-stun to meteor cancel. (15 for ZSS, etc.)

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
They aren't strong enough to meteor cancel. Those turn into like... Zelda's sour-spot dair. They don't have the minimal frames of hit-stun to meteor cancel. (15 for ZSS, etc.)
Are you sure? I feel like Ivysaur N-Air might be. Same with Charizard's B-Air "spike" hitbox.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Doesn't the amount of hitstun rise with a higher percentage on most moves, though? I was under the impression that Fox's D-Air was one of them, which is why certain things only combo from it at higher percents.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
Does the frame count start from the hitlag or when the knockback starts?

Also, if I start holding Up during the first few frames and press B repeatedly, does the "fail" window prevent the Up-B from working as soon as it would normally be possible? If so, what if I'm holding Up before the Meteor Smash hits me?

Is there a list of moves that count as Meteor Smashes somewhere?
It starts the frame you enter action 45 (strong knockback).

Any move that hits between 230° and 310° and also has enough knockback to send you into action 45 (hitstun; when you're spinning) is able to be meteor cancelled.

Top Bottom