• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metaknight Officially Banned In Italy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
All the Metaknight users are going to do is just revert to Snake since he's the next best character after Metaknight and if they ban him it's just gonna be D3 and chain grabs. There's always gonna be something that a lot of people don't like playing that they are going to revert to if bans like these take place.

In my opinion on this matter I'm neither for nor against this.

Thee Incubus

Smash Journeyman
Good for Italy. I'm tired of fighting 20+ MK's at a tourney, I wouldn't mind him gone here either.

I wish I could say about my main,
"Learn to fight him better, he has weaknesses....just keep looking"

as I **** the tourney scene.

Muzga

Smash Ace
All the Metaknight users are going to do is just revert to Snake since he's the next best character after Metaknight and if they ban him it's just gonna be D3 and chain grabs. There's always gonna be something that a lot of people don't like playing that they are going to revert to if bans like these take place.

In my opinion on this matter I'm neither for nor against this.
Because obviously the only reason why anyone plays MK is because he's the best character.
No really, i chose to play as metaknight when this game came out because i somehow already knew he was the highest ranked character. /sarcasm.

People play metaknight because they enjoy the way he plays, same as any other character. a ban on a character is completely unfair to everyone who has spend time mastering that character.

but no, youre right! Banning MK because you can't beat him makes complete sense!

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
I feel a little annoyed toward the situation. Keep us posted on the tourney results. If there are like no other players other than meta knight, yeah, I would understand why he got banned.

Thee Incubus

Smash Journeyman
I feel a little annoyed toward the situation. Keep us posted on the tourney results. If there are like no other players other than meta knight, yeah, I would understand why he got banned.
Have you been to any recent tournaments? 80% of people use MK. At least in my experiences.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
The Italian Brawl community must consist of scrubs. They would ban a character just because he is the best after playing the game for 2 months?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I invite any Italian supporting the ban to contact me either through PM:s here on SWF or through MSN. He shall then have to present his case for why Meta-Knight should be banned and I shall then proceed to give him a well-deserved verbal thrashing (full of facts to support why he's an idiot and a Scrub).

Also, we had a thread on this. It raged on for quite a while. Not surprisingly, when it died, not a single of the things I'd said at the start of the thread had been refuted.

Bring it on, Italy.

As a side note, Aldwyn, which Italians that I've actually met support this ban? Give me their names so I can hunt them down at the next tournament we're both at and ***** slap them... and possibly grope them if they're good-looking (and, obviously, male)... also, I shall remove them from my MSN contacts if any of them are in it.

In fact, gime the name, location and date of the next big Brawl tournament in Italy. I'd show up just to f*** with people, 'cause I don't even play Brawl. "And it would be awesome!"

Have you been to any recent tournaments? 80% of people use MK. At least in my experiences.
But are 80% of Top 5 or Top 10 placements Meta-Knight? You don't ban a character for being popular.

-mugen-

Smash Journeyman
This is really not the place for this discussion.

MK users are all severely against MK being banned.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
When I first got this game I thought to myself this:
Wow there are a lot of good characters; to really be the best in this game it is required that you master many characters as to be able to counter your opponents.

Then it turned into:
Above + Well, except if you main metaknight, then you're pretty well off against everyone and you only need to master MK + maybe one other.

Now it's:
Pssh who cares about anything else, let's just main Metaknight.

Yes Snake is the second best character, but think how he actually has many even matchups AND there are characters who actually have the match up ADVANTAGE. No character has proven to have a match up advantage against MK. People throw out "yoshi" or "DK"; or whatever, but no where is there a consensus saying that it's the case.

All above is semi-scrubby though. MK is the best character, he is beatable, however you are playing to win; and if your opponent isn't using MK, then theres a good chance you'll win with MK.

Conclusively

Smash Journeyman
I'm for it, as of now. I'd like to see the character choices among the Smashers in Italy. It would probably get more diverse and more new things would be discovered. Hell, if it works out, I'm all for it in the states. I don't want to enter a tourney having to face nothing but MK Dittos.

homicidalrapist

Smash Apprentice
I think a ban is a bit much, but i wouldn't mind. I'm not annoyed by meta knight, just by the fact that there's so many players that use him and it gets old. Maybe if he had more styles like falco (camp, defensive, aggressive) , but all MK's pretty much fight the same way.
/sigh A ban will never happen since it will up set 50% of the people that play brawl competitively. Then they might stop playing brawl altogether.

Thee Incubus

Smash Journeyman
But are 80% of Top 5 or Top 10 placements Meta-Knight? You don't ban a character for being popular.
I know, I was just replying to the guy above me saying he would only ban him if most people used him.

However, I will say I agree you don't ban someone for being popular, but you gotta look at why he's popular. Is it his cool sword? I doubt it ;)

Irow

Smash Ace
I kinda want the ban because fighting MK gets old. maybe a soft ban would be good.
Really? That's hardly a good reason to reasonably serve as a basis for a ban.

Yeah, I main Metaknight - and yes, I do think that the ban is not warranted.

Metaknight is the best character in the game, sure, but there is simply not a big enough gap between him and the rest of the cast to be unbeatable. Even the best Metaknights lose tournaments to other people who aren't using him.

It's not like Metaknight completely ***** the entire game. Not even close. It hasn't gotten to the point where Meta is the only character viable in a tourney if you want to win.

J4pu

Smash Champion
There's a difference between being easy to play and being easy to master (I'm talking near M2K levels). Also is it me or are people just parroting the "MK is real easy to use" argument at this point?

I can beat decent MKs and Snakes with Ike. I think that's enough not to warrant a ban.

Edit: BTW CO18 this post wasn't directed to you lol, but I think my point still stands.
I almost loled irl after reading this first sentence, more than half of M2K's abilities are in reading opponents, baiting opponents, understanding the physics of where he can safely attack and where he can't, not because he mastered MK to the max. I mean don't get me wrong he has great control over MK but so do many people, that's not necessarily what wins tournaments.
Playing MK makes many aspects of the game unbelievably easy, punishing (**** fast land speed), gimping (arguably the best off edge fighting abilities), not getting gimped (a recovery that is unmatched among the rest of the cast), Awesome out of shield option (UpB and isn't nearly as punishable as most charcters who have good UpB's out of shield ie. Marth, Luigi (who also slides), etc.), and doesn't have any extremely hard time killing in general (Dsmash and Nair as well as shuttle loop). Tornado outprioritizes so many things, his small size makes him difficult to hit with many attacks.
Oh and I forgot to add insane range to the list, so there it is, nearly every advantage possible, make him a bit heavier and give him a spammable projectile and he would be literally unbeatable in high level play imo.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I main Mario, and MK is considered as a nightmare matchup for him. I don't think a ban is warranted. If anything Italy probably banned MK just to get more attention to other characters. Pretty sure after that the ban will be lifted.

It's not like Metaknight completely ***** the entire game. Not even close. It hasn't gotten to the point where Meta is the only character viable in a tourney if you want to win.
^This. I think it's pretty obvious that Metaknight is the best character, but the uphill battle of beating him is sweet. Nonetheless, the banning should be debunked completely just for the pure fact it's way too early. It's not even a year yet.

J4pu

Smash Champion
I think a ban is a bit much, but i wouldn't mind. I'm not annoyed by meta knight, just by the fact that there's so many players that use him and it gets old. Maybe if he had more styles like falco (camp, defensive, aggressive) , but all MK's pretty much fight the same way.
/sigh A ban will never happen since it will up set 50% of the people that play brawl competitively. Then they might stop playing brawl altogether.
Awesome, somebody other than Falco mains understand that Falco is about more than spamming lasers and running away, although I assume that's what the "camp" category entails... you forgot Chain Grabbing

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Diddy, G&W, Snake, ROB, pikachu, bowser, jigglypuff...there's lots of characters that do ok against metaknight.

no counters, but who cares? stop relying on counters and try being better than your opponent.

__V

Smash Journeyman
Everyone except Captain Falcon should be banned. However, Falcon Punching should be prohibited because it's a broken move.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
The midwest regional tourney this past weekend had 4 meta knight players among 44 participants.

-The first got last in his pool and was eliminated.
-The second tied for 7th because he is a good player.
-The third tied for 5th; I didn't watch him, but in the last tourney he lost matches as meta knight and won with Marth and Peach instead. Either way, a good player.
-The fourth also tied for 5th, and would have placed just as high with R.O.B., his other main... because he is a good player.

The top four went to a Pikachu, a G&W, a Dedede, and a Wario, and this isn't some random tourney, this is the regional circuit.

When we say stop johning and leave to beat Meta Knight, it isn't rhetoric and it isn't just Meta Knight mains saying it. The people who are actually out playing the game on the tourney scene at a high level are learning to deal with Meta Knight fine. If Meta Knight is so broken, then come beat us with him. Heh, good luck with that.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Here is a suggestion for people having trouble with TO's banning MK:

Ask for a Temp-ban. Seriously. Whoever in Italy decided that MK should be banned..well go up to them and talk to them about applying a temp-ban instead. Don't be rude, don't flame them, just calmly explain that a temp-ban (maybe a couple of months or something) would be much more beinificaly then a perm-ban. It would allow the other characters to progress their games with MK's would stand still for the most part in that area. That way they are letting other characters get played a lot and can lift the ban on MK after a little while. MK is a popular character, and people are learning everything about him really fast. His game is progressed much further then many other characters and he may seem broken at this point in time because of it.

So yeah. Ask the italy people for a temp-ban. If they refuse, then I don't know what to say. Call them stupid and punch them I guess lol.

Or you could ask them to present thier situation to the back room and we could go over it and present a discussion for them.

Either way it will be intresting to see tournament results from this. Please keep us updated.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I don't thnk this would be a permanent ban in any sense. It's just A BAN.

How long it lasts is all dependant on how thing's improve in the scene in general.

It's about time some group actually grew the balls to TRY IT OUT.

You have a person like Yuna saying any reason to ban MK is scrubby; even a nice one like "MK is too good right now and other characters are getting ignored because of it, slowing down the potential meta improvement of several other characters". Yet no one wishes to experiment.

However when a group actually does decide to do it, for whatever reason (I hope it is for the sake of science), what is the general consensus reply by 'us'? Either "scrubs" "yay" or the smart one "I'm really interested in the results of this". Any one purely saying the former statements are fools. That is all.

Browny

Smash Hater
you aren't the first scrub to complain instead of bothering to learn the matchup.
Learn to play. Thats what we do.
how typical coming from an MK main. who is this 'we' you refer to? because its obviously not including you. All mk mainers need to use any other character besides snake vs a pro MK, learn the matchup (its so easy remember!) and beat said MK. then they may continue telling everyone else to learn to play.

i expect it will take a while...

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
italy runs the PAL version and we have the NTSC version correct?like in melee there must be somthing significantly different with their MK thats made them ban him.

also, Akuma=\=MK
but
Old Sagat=MK?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
The pal version has no difference concerning MK afaik. I'm european myself - he has no CGs are any BS that make him better than he already is...

Steelia

Smash Champion
This is exactly why I don't bother with tournaments. Too many regulations to worry about.

Heh, I'd love to see the look on Sakurai's face if he ever heard this. I don't know whether he'd feel more bloated with pride or more P-O'd knowing his character is banned.

Announcer guy: "Hello, Mr. Sakurai! Here is the tournament listing."
Sakurai: *checks* Nice, but where's Meta Knight?"
AG: "Hahaha! We banned him for being too broken."
Sakurai: " X( "

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom