• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metagame Preference - Rolling updates or No Updates - (OPINION POLL)

Do you prefer a meta with constant updates to cause shift, or no Updates with shifts by players

• Updates

Votes: 34 85.0%
  • No Updates

Votes: 6 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

[BROF]

Smash Apprentice
DISCLAIMER: This is an opinion thread.

Now before you cast your vote I want you to consider just how much all of the updates we had have improved the game from it's horrible 3DS days. Things like the removal of vectoring, the overall shaving of landing lag through-out the cast, fixing broken moves and hitboxes for most character (Look at 1.0.0 Ike compared to 1.1.4. Ike), the removal of broken doubles mechanics, and the increase of shieldstun improved the core game immensely. Through the game's life we lost many things, such as as DACUS (you'll be missed), and very specific character tech and infinites.
My point is, further updates could improve the core gameplay even further, but could also hurt it. Nevertheless, updates have done a great job in improving overall gameplay.

I'm personally in favor of more updates, as the game itself could also continue to speed up and characters with broken moves or kits could be fixed just like how Ike got fixed tremendously compared to his vanilla self. We are probably not getting any more updates, that's a known fact, but this is just an opinions thread.

As far as meta goes. I understand how updates can artificially change the metagame, and that tends to be unhealthy for it. Long natural development of the meta is usually the best way to go, with a game that is set in stone. However, for Smash 4 the possibility of improving the game still exists with updates, so it's more of a gamble.

What do you think?

Megamang

Smash Lord
There are games with healthy metagames that are patched very frequently. Just because things change, doesn't mean players aren't constantly improving. Once a meta is set, small patch changes can fix problematic things without shaking up things too much. Just because Melee managed to evolve very well without patches, does not mean patches are an evil. People just hoping for buffs/nerfs and refusing to improve is a player problem, not an inherant problem with patches.

Patches should be a fine tuning of the game, to make it better in some way. Whether nintendo can continue to do this, or whether they will even try, remains to be seen. I would be ok with this build being the final build for the game, or I would be ok with a patch bringing everyone's power level closer to eachother.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
After playing League of Legends for 5 or so years, I'd prefer it if Smash4's development team settled down. On one hand, I'm glad that Smash4's development has stopped; I look forward to optimizing what I've been dealt. However I wish it stopped after 1 or 2 more balance patches for the more recent DLC characters. :| Cloud's ease of use + overwhelming kit is unsettling. I'm fine with one or the other, but having both is not... good.

Last edited:

RIP_Lucas

Smash Apprentice
I'd rather no updates than what they've been doing, but the best case scenario is they did all the unviable characters before they shut it down. Perfect balance will never be achieved, but there's no excuse they didn't fix Samus, Zelda, Jiggly, Canon, and the other downright awful characters

Megamang

Smash Lord
Or, in my woefully optimistic hope, they might bring down Shiek/ZSS/Rosa/Cloud/Bayonetta just a slight bit, which would actually help all of the characters not listed. Especially Cloud, since a huge sword with surprisingly good frame data is a HUUUGE issue for characters with bad burst movement/hitboxes, bad reward, or any real weakness since he exploits them intensely and on the other hand is really hard to exploit.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Leaving the game alone after building a solid base is the best. The game will never fully develop with constant changes affecting the fabric of the game.

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
I think that Smash should be in the middle ground about patches. I also think that if they drop a good patch next time addressing the right things that they haven't touched today, like buff some low tiers such as Jiggly, DDD and Shulk (and maybe tweak some characters that are still top tier but for this one we have yet to see how metagame develops), we could have a game that is one/two patches away to make "perfect" balance. With perfect balance I mean that the characters that will unfortunately be low tier (someone has to) would be at least usable in almost any situation unlike Melee Bowser/Kirby and Brawl Ganondorf.

Like a patch once or twice a year just to adjust minuscule imperfection would be the way to go after a massive period of balancing.

RIP_Lucas

Smash Apprentice
My question is, where's the Jigglypuff buff? Seriously, they've only directly patched her once, and that was fixing a glitch

Top Bottom