• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metagame Development

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
First off, Filthy Casuals begone, this isn't the thread for you. I'm here to discuss which characters are in need of meta development. I feel that some characters have been shelved in favor of others, and they have been left in the corner to rot and grow moss as they watch other, "better" characters take the spotlight at tournament after tournament. What I want to do here is find out which characters are in need of meta development, and how to go about starting a bit of change. But first, my personal list.
Not In Need Of Development(These characters have developed a lot of meta already)
:4diddy::4zss::rosalina::4ness::4falcon::4link::4pikachu::4lucina::4jigglypuff::4sonic:
Perhaps Some Development(They need a bit, but it isn't a priority)
:4yoshi::4shulk::4marth::4bowser::4villager::4mario::4luigi::4fox::4sheik::4duckhunt::4littlemac:
Mild Development Needed(They need development, but not as much as some others)
:4falco::4kirby::4lucario::4robinm::4greninja::4mewtwo::4ganondorf::4myfriends::4tlink::4zelda::4feroy::4bowserjr::4rob:
Development Needed(These characters are in need of meta development)
:4megaman::4charizard::4samus::4palutena::4drmario::4gaw::4pit::4lucas::4ryu::4dedede::4metaknight:
DEVELOP THESE CHARACTERS(Need I say more?)
:4wario2::4dk::4olimar::4peach::4wiifit::4pacman:

Feel free to comment on which characters you think need metagames developed. Any mains of the characters in the bottom two categories feel free to comment your thoughts. No salt please :salt:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
One question, how are the characters being ranked in terms of development? When you say a character has "developed a lot of meta already" do you mean how much development they've been given compared to to how close they are to their maximum potential or just how much development they have received? I could understand why someone'd place :4jigglypuff: and :4lucina: up there at the top if it's how much development compared to current potential given that some people feel their potential is low but not the other way around since I always thought Jigglypuff had received very little development so far, so that's why I'm asking.

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
:4megaman::4metaknight::4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4wario2::4lucas::4ryu:
Those I feel need development.

:4dedede:only needs buffs. x_x

Last edited:

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
As a Mega Man main, I definitely agree that he needs more meta development. I see some good Mega Man players, but there's not a lot of them and he needs some buffs with his ending lag and maybe increase his speed of his walking and running speed. People also need to play him correctly; I see too many people either him either as a rushdown character or they don't adapt to their opponent. It gets irritating to see a great character get poor representation.

As a Kirby main, he needs a little more development for some of his combo set ups, since many if not all of them begin with D-Air and that becomes very readable after a while, but beyond that, I think Kirby's mostly fine.

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
One question, how are the characters being ranked in terms of development? When you say a character has "developed a lot of meta already" do you mean how much development they've been given compared to to how close they are to their maximum potential or just how much development they have received? I could understand why someone'd place :4jigglypuff: and :4lucina: up there at the top if it's how much development compared to current potential given that some people feel their potential is low but not the other way around since I always thought Jigglypuff had received very little development so far, so that's why I'm asking.
I'm ranking characters on a scale from the one with the highest current developed meta to the one with the lowest developed. No scale outside of that.

Top Bottom