• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight: Video Compilation & Critique Thread

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Edit: ****, wrong thread and no delete button.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
@ ZTD | TECHnology ZTD | TECHnology

First game it seems you don't know the optimal combo's on Mario, you went for dash attack into Nado which doesn't work on Mario it works on these at low percents without rage: :4falcon::4bowser::4dk::4fox::4pit::4darkpit::4wario2::4samus::4shulk::4rob::4megaman:

When Mario was holding shield above the platform you should've used 1 uair into Nado to poke it, also when you got the lead you started approaching Mario. Maybe its cuz its friendlies but MK should let the opponent come to him since its easy to punish them while they're flustered, at 1:10 you went for Dash attack into Utilt, Up smash would be a much better option damage is something MK needs before losing the lead.

You go in close range alot and Dtilt which is ok but MK excels at mid range, Mario has poor mid range options which is why he relies on F-Balls. Mario has the best frame data after Luigi so you shouldn't engage him within his poor range. At 2:54 you went for a F-Smash while Mario was still invincible, you could've rolled towards him and hold shield and punish his get up options with tornado.

Mario was above 120% you should back throw him for stage control and forcing Mario off stage, you became predictable in your recovery patterns and your friend punished it which ended your stock. Cape is good but you could simply snap the ledge with shuttle loop.

2nd game you go into the air too much, Mario will always out speed us up there. You also went for unrewarding combo's such as Dash attack into Utilt, DA into U-Smash or Down throw into U-Smash are optimal combo's against Mario at low percents, Mid percents DA into Grounded Shuttle Loop and Down Throw into Grounded Shuttle Loop is good. Down throw into Shuttle Loop true combo's until 80% so long as you follow their DI. You stayed in the air too much despite MKs ground game being better than Mario's, Near the end a simple tornado can kill him or even an up throw.

Game 3 is a mixture of 1 and 2, MK has tactics against all characters and this MU is very mid range heavy. Try to avoid using Fair to end combo's unless you have to, at one point in the game you got a trip and landed a DA which could've been followed up with a grounded Shuttle Loop but instead went for Fair. The last kill was surprising though nice one.

Game 4 you were air dodging alot of Mario's strings, we got 5 mid air jumps airdodges will lead to death while jumping away will only leave you with more damage. You should try buffering your 2nd and throw out Dair in neutral and i recommend foxtrotting since MKs initial dash lasts a long time. Dashing towards someone into shield then foxtroting away will bait some sort of reaction, when your friend is standing still keep moving because standing in place limits MKs options that's one example of foxtrotting back and forth being useful.

I like the Ftilts you were doing its really good against Mario,Doc,Sheik,Kirby that love to approach us with sh aerials.

Game 5 went ok but you didn't capitalilze on your edgeguards, you shouldn't chase off stage you should be intercepting. Chasing off stage makes you predictable the Mario knew you were going for a Bair.

That's all i got, maybe @ ItoI6 ItoI6 can give you better tips hope i helped a little. Your MK is fresh out the womb but the fact that you took games off your friend who's been using Mario longer than you've used MK is great!

----------
Video of my MK, first one was a week ago and the last one was a match i did with my friend yesterday.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Very useful stuff. Thank you so much for the examples as well.

And yeah I noticed I'm coaxing more on my knowledge of fighting Mario moreso than my own tools as an MK. I should be focusing on optimal usage of those in this stage. I'm also not used to playing exclusively at midrange a lot of time. MK is very different from what I'm accustomed to. Thank you again for the advice. If Ito dropped some knowledge too, my day will be made.

Last edited:

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, i'm the mario technical_chase played with in the above vids/doubles as well. Just wanted to link a specific doubles vid of ours with a reallly hype team combo moment. And if he posts more vids please keep critiquing him! We want him to be super awesome! anyhoo, heres the vid link and go to 3:50 for the specific team combo. This was literally our first tourny with him using metaknight, so i look forward to some of the crazier stuff we'll pull off in the future! :p

Fye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FE-Judge
http://www.twitch.tv/stlbarwarz/b/646806250
22:51: [WQ] vs Flow-yo (Yoshi)
41:40: [WS] vs Arma (Zero Suit/Diddy)
1:19:05: [WF] vs Gottems (Pit/Dark Pit)
2:04:30: [GF] vs Gottems (Dark Pit)

Two things that I was noticing mid-match. One, I should start up-throwing at the ledge more. And two, I should maybe try to tornado instead of SL at earlier percentages.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

^ I need to watch those.

Also here is another batch of some training videos. I don't plan on uploading these training matches so frequently, its just that since I'm new to the character, literally any advice would benefit me at this stage. This batch is me using the advice I got earlier (seemed to work a bit better).

ZTD | Technology vs Smasher1001 #6-10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM0FCJT3_Co

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-s4wsnZ3uM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7uwm2EBpGo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCAzPjSKBOI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ2f9Km7t_U

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
lol how are these tournaments seeded, didnt you play that guy in finals last time? why would you play him in wqf? anyways id like to see you use upb out of shield, it can kill and its the best possible punish in most cases when someone hits you from the back of your shield with a low to moderate lag move. like if yoshi does jab jab on your shield behind you, you can reverse upb oos and hit him for it. your tornados above the ledge while you wait for the opponent to choose a ledge option were a bit too slow. i usually use it just a moment after they grab the ledge, thats about the time they choose an option when they see you doing something.

vs diddy dont go on tilt please lol. and just in general you move the same way too much. when someone misses a move or throws something out in neutral, like lets say diddy rolls away or sh fairs, from what ive seen of your play you would dash in and try and dash attack or dash grab, or do something even though it wont work in time. instead of that, you have to know in advance that a punish is impossible and instead know when to wait, so that you can punish whatever they buffer out of their previous movement. the mark of a high level player compared to a mid level one is waiting at the right time. another more relevant example is lets say someone rolls behind you, but you dont realize whats happening until hes all the way through your shield. a mid level player would try and buffer an ftilt out of shield because rolls are supposed to be punishable, but a high level player would realize that he hasnt reacted quickly enough to be able to punish it, and just turn around and reshield or do some other kind of waiting option. just know your own limits and youll have a much stronger neutral game.

pummel-downthrow-shuttle loop is better than tornado at mid percents btw. am i crazy or do honestly never down throw to shuttle loop. you cant not do it lol its just the best option most of the time. tornado timing to cover ledge options is looking much better after the yoshi matches btw.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuL5EEZpBXE

My region has a slightly better MK than me sadly, here's him vs our top player. Looks pretty good at first.
He has a nice use of Nair, but some of his options were questionable. I saw a lot of times where he could have Shuttle Loop'd but used some other move. Several OoS Shuttle Loop moments as well.

He should come to the boards and see some videos from Itoi, Katakiri and Fye to learn some good options. You can tell he's good but can become better with proper guidance.
Also, that WFT is great.

ZTD | TECHnology

I've never seen a competent WFT before. Interesting.

Also as Kev lost the lead you can see him getting flustered and making poor option selects because he was off balance. I find it very helpful to reset when I see myself doing that as MK has useful tools for getting out of danger and controlling.

Also lack of Nado makes me sad.

Lastly: A bit too much Dimensional Cape. You can't force that move as an attack. You use it as a strong read option when you've noticed them committing to something substantial. Or you've condiitioned them. I saw him get punished for just throwing it out too many times.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Its like watching Unknowns MK, they don't finish combo's and they go for inefficient combo's that deal weak damage. Also no tornado, i still stand by what i said once: MKs that use tornado effectively sets them apart with those who can't.

The amount of ditto matches i win because i actually use his moves correctly is baffling, like why don't they use it? He went for alot of weird stuff and he didn't edgeguard very well, he's chasing WFT instead of intercepting. Does he main MK or Tink?

Like Oblivion said, alot of questionable moves. Imo waaay too aggressive, but that's because i like playing footsies.

Seems like a day 1 MK out of nowhere imo.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

I think people are afraid of using Nado because its a high risk/reward option (when you don't know how to use it properly). But it's such a great punish that every MK really needs to get in the lab to figure out when to use this move. It's too good of a punish not too. It's 22-23% fresh!

Also, this reminds me...I need to upload more of my own bat ball in recent events. So much improvement. @ warionumbah2 warionumbah2 you'd be so proud. Baby got his first Down Throw > Up Air x4 > SL > Death combo in tournament yesterday. Killed a Link @ 62%. The guy sat there dumbfounded....then said "You know, that was so awesome I can't even be mad".

Ulevo

Smash Master
I'm really not a fan of Unknown's Meta Knight. He does a lot of really inefficient things, and goes for follow ups that don't make sense, do less damage or are not guaranteed. It's unfortunate hearing he did well at a tournament knowing all the things he could be doing better.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
I'm really not a fan of Unknown's Meta Knight. He does a lot of really inefficient things, and goes for follow ups that don't make sense, do less damage or are not guaranteed. It's unfortunate hearing he did well at a tournament knowing all the things he could be doing better.
Way to support our fellow Meta Knight mains for doing well at a tournament. lol Damn... I thought he did really well. Yeah, he made mistakes and questionable decisions, but overall I think he should be proud of how he did. Probably a lot better than I would...

Ulevo

Smash Master
Way to support our fellow Meta Knight mains for doing well at a tournament. lol Damn... I thought he did really well. Yeah, he made mistakes and questionable decisions, but overall I think he should be proud of how he did. Probably a lot better than I would...
Not hating on the guy. Just pointing out that he has room to grow.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
"It's unfortunate hearing he did well at a tournament knowing all the things he could be doing better."

It's that statement that bugged me.

Fye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FE-Judge
He just wants Unknown to reach his full potential. I could see him consistently make top 5 if he starts doing guaranteed stuff (my problem earlier on as well). The basics are there, but once he learns optimal punishes, he will make others respect MK.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Does Unknown post on Smashboards at all? If so, maybe someone can message him with advice on how he could do better.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
I hate to say it but there are no good metaknight's as of what I see in tourney matches.
The only notable Meta Knight players I can think of part of this country are you, @ Katakiri Katakiri , @ ItoI6 ItoI6 , and Tyrant. I rarely see Tyrant use Meta Knight, but that character is his second most used character and SoCal's PR finds his use of that character notable enough to mention it on the SoCal Facebook group. Considering how both you and Ito live in SoCal, it would be cool to see you two do a 1 vs. 1 someday with your Meta Knights. Not a commonly seen ditto match at all. Kind of odd how 3/4ths of the Meta Knights I mentioned all live in SoCal. I guess the character is just more popular in California than anywhere else.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Tyrant doesn't count,the guy barely touches MK. If he does then i sure haven't seen him use MK alot.

MK dittos aren't fun imo, asking for 1 v 1 MK dittos is basically asking to sit down and play a tedious game for no reason.

I hate to say it but there are no good metaknight's as of what I see in tourney matches.
Are you saying you're not good? G8 banter.

Learn something new everyday.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
I never minded doing Meta Knight dittos in the past with people, though I do find Diddy Kong and King Dedede dittos to be the most fun type of ditto matches. lol

Ulevo

Smash Master
Here's a MM for you guys in a MU we all hate: :4sonic:

Me vs Nom (Ranked #9 in my state. This is his secondary but he's gotten good wins with it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oedPiqHoZlI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-HKdQUbIjk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfOlnKb-d2k
GJ.

Dimensional Cape might be safer to come back to the stage with when Sonic tries to drop springs on you. There were a couple times when you missed Shuttle Loop OOS kills in the 1st set as well. I'll need to practice this match up when I have the opportunity.

ZTD | TECHnology

Thank you. Yeah I need to be more conscious of my jumps/that move. I also need to work on my strings/out of shield options. When I do well it's because I'm really momentum based and I make really ridiculous reads/series of reads. This tournament taught me a lot.

EDIT:

Here is my last tournament match from yesterday. Had to play my Mario buddy in Round 2 Loser's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA9wBfFXy7M

It was a close set but he is the better player. I really need to work on my strings. I see so many missed opps. I think I get nervous against better opponents and start forgetting what is optimal and start relying on my footsies and guaranteed stuff more. I also need to enhance my out of shield options. This particular set was stressful because its the person I play the most and he's better than I am. We know each other's habits inside out. So you have to be 2 steps ahead because you have to constantly take into consideration their reactions to your reactions. I see drastic improvement compared where I started a month ago. My fundamentals with the characters are solid. My patience keeps me in the game despite my lack of experience/optimal option selects. I have so much work to do. I'm extremely optimistic about my future with this character however.

The one thing I don't like about using MK on stream is that no one knows what they're talking about in regards to my character. And it annoys me when people say I should switch to a better character. One day..I will show them.

Last edited:

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
http://challonge.com/ttpiii

at tourney today got 2nd to tearbear's falcon. i won 1st game and lost the 2nd in gf, then decided to go diddy because i thought it was too bad for mk and ended up losing that set 2-3. i used mk every other match the whole tourney. i got put into losers because i had the worst choke of my life vs rich brown 1-2 but i beat him 3-0 in losers finals when i played him again. seriously i cant describe how badly i choked, i had the game won like 3 times and still lost lol. me and tearbear won doubles as mk/marth without dropping a single game. trying to use dtilt a lot more, and i also keep messing up combos too which im trying to work on

my matches today

http://www.twitch.tv/smash_entity/b/655843753

vs random megaman @ 2:32:25
- i did not play a single game the whole day before this so i was kind of sloppy, it got better over time though

vs rich brown (#7 socal) luigi and olimar @ 3:47:37
- played very campy and it would have worked had i not had a legendary choke in both game 2 and 3, so sad. i had 20 seconds left in game with a 25% lead and i ran into a purple fsmash at 80% and lost. on game 3 i had a grounded shuttle loop at 70% on the town and city top platform and held backward instead of neutral and completely whiffed on the 2nd hit when it would have killed. i also camped when it wasnt necessary in the slightest to prove a point which was pretty ********, still pretty mad about how i played.

vs random yoshi @ 4:32:20
- this guy wasnt bad, i almost dropped game 1 from getting too impatient. game 2 was strong though. pretty frustrating matchup

vs serudos (#6 san diego) zss @ 4:48:58
- my practice partner, this guy is good but very inconsistent. he has beaten k9 falln and tearbear in tournament and loses to randoms sometimes lol. he definitely knows the matchup with mk really well and its hard.

vs richbrown rematch @ 4:57:05
- i wasnt nervous and played well this time i think playing campy is still best vs olimar though

vs tearbear (#4 socal) falcon @ 5:06:30
- i think diddy has a much better matchup but maybe i shouldve stayed mk when it was 1-1 oh well. i think my diddy did better but its a bit hard to tell and i hadnt practiced him at all in the day

@ 6:07:50
- this was our cute doubles strategy we thought of beforehand, it was pretty neat to see it actually work lol. tornado locks them in shield.

@ 7:15:45
-classic kira rage lol

Last edited:

LostinpinK

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ailkah
http://challonge.com/ttpiii

at tourney today got 2nd to tearbear's falcon. i won 1st game and lost the 2nd in gf, then decided to go diddy because i thought it was too bad for mk and ended up losing that set 2-3. i used mk every other match the whole tourney. i got put into losers because i had the worst choke of my life vs rich brown 1-2 but i beat him 3-0 in losers finals when i played him again. seriously i cant describe how badly i choked, i had the game won like 3 times and still lost lol. me and tearbear won doubles as mk/marth without dropping a single game. trying to use dtilt a lot more, and i also keep messing up combos too which im trying to work on

my matches today

http://www.twitch.tv/smash_entity/b/655843753

vs random megaman @ 2:32:25
- i did not play a single game the whole day before this so i was kind of sloppy, it got better over time though

vs rich brown (#7 socal) luigi and olimar @ 3:47:37
- played very campy and it would have worked had i not had a legendary choke in both game 2 and 3, so sad. i had 20 seconds left in game with a 25% lead and i ran into a purple fsmash at 80% and lost. on game 3 i had a grounded shuttle loop at 70% on the town and city top platform and held backward instead of neutral and completely whiffed on the 2nd hit when it would have killed. i also camped when it wasnt necessary in the slightest to prove a point which was pretty ********, still pretty mad about how i played.

vs random yoshi @ 4:32:20
- this guy wasnt bad, i almost dropped game 1 from getting too impatient. game 2 was strong though. pretty frustrating matchup

vs serudos (#6 san diego) zss @ 4:48:58
- my practice partner, this guy is good but very inconsistent. he has beaten k9 falln and tearbear in tournament and loses to randoms sometimes lol. he definitely knows the matchup with mk really well and its hard.

vs richbrown rematch @ 4:57:05
- i wasnt nervous and played well this time i think playing campy is still best vs olimar though

vs tearbear (#4 socal) falcon @ 5:06:30
- i think diddy has a much better matchup but maybe i shouldve stayed mk when it was 1-1 oh well. i think my diddy did better but its a bit hard to tell and i hadnt practiced him at all in the day

@ 6:07:50
- this was our cute doubles strategy we thought of beforehand, it was pretty neat to see it actually work lol. tornado locks them in shield.

@ 7:15:45
-classic kira rage lol
Wow you stomped that MM quite hard. I liked the dthrow DA fair up B, nice illustration of your grab 2.0 guide.
There's a nice example of your "diddy kong like" dtilt froll dtilt against Zss too.
VS Olimar I saw you roll dtilt a lot, it might be interesting to try this out since our roll and d tilt are so fast. Fsmash is definetely better than Dsmash to punish ledge regrab. Nice use of dj down b auto cancel DA against Luigi. 6:07:50 was hilarious.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Haven't watched all the doubles matches yet, but you did great at that tournament. Rich Brown's SD in Loser's Finals is one of the most hilarious SD's I've seen happen in a tournament match in quite awhile. Goddamn Lylat. XD It's interesting seeing your Diddy post-patch. Now that he's been nerfed, how do you feel you fare with that character compared to Meta Knight?

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Fun video i made, MK is so dumb against certain characters lol.

And some recent games involving D3 and DK. Apparently MKs struggle with D3 but its really not bad, its just a long game because D3 can take hits.

This video was before the one above so i messed up down throw --> fair --> shuttle loop frequently.

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
Fun video i made, MK is so dumb against certain characters lol.

And some recent games involving D3 and DK. Apparently MKs struggle with D3 but its really not bad, its just a long game because D3 can take hits.

This video was before the one above so i messed up down throw --> fair --> shuttle loop frequently.
Small critiques in the 2nd video. You were approaching Dedede too much when you had the life lead. Staled your up throw a couple times, obviously to try and get a cheese kill with Shuttle Loop in the blast zone. That said, when you can kill Dedede at about 105%-115% it's not worth it. When you're going for down throw to forward air follow ups and you know the fair will hit, use back air instead. It's only 1% more damage but every bit counts.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Honestly during the game I was thinking of doing that, but then I would've outright camp him and I didn't wanna do that. If I really wanted to win I would not go anywhere near D3 unless he did something that I can punish.

If a characters run speed is below 20 I will camp them hard, MKs really good at being a ****** lol. Only character I will camp no matter what is Luigi.

Edit: MKs strongest point is when hes at mid range despite me being overly aggresive I always maintained it, I still won the match since I had him figured out which is also why I didnt need to go cancer mode. When I do play patient I go auto boring mode for some reason.

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
Well I mean, Meta Knight thrives off of playing safe in neutral and fishing for hit confirms. I see no reason to not opt in to his strengths unless you're just psychologically in the other players head and can get away with playing overly aggressive.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
A tip against DDD is when he's on the ledge, stay at a distance where you could cover his ledge get-up attack and his roll. He's one of the easier characters to punish when he's trying to get back on stage.
He also has the option to jump back and throw a Gordo, but in that case you can punish the re-grab.

And it's easier to KO him horizontally than vertically because of his fast fall speed, but MK's horizontal kill options like Fsmash aren't so useful against him because of his range and disjoint.

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
i always just tornado right above the ledge, it beats everything except if they wait on the ledge or ledge roll.

also start going for ledgetrump past like 100 vs heavies and a bair should kill, its best vs predictable recoveries like dedede that you cant gimp. if they buffer something then you can start mixing it up by just threatening trump and double jumping backward on to stage when you run off. you can get a fsmash if all they do is buffer roll every time. if theyre smarter and mix it up with buffering ledgehop its harder but you can still punish that by double jumping back and using nado at the right spacing.

i dont really see anyone else use trumping because i guess they think its flawed but if you mix it up with double jumping backwards when you run off its like impossible to react to and you get big rewards with fsmash and bair. its hard on wifi though ill give you that

Ulevo

Smash Master
i always just tornado right above the ledge, it beats everything except if they wait on the ledge or ledge roll.

also start going for ledgetrump past like 100 vs heavies and a bair should kill, its best vs predictable recoveries like dedede that you cant gimp. if they buffer something then you can start mixing it up by just threatening trump and double jumping backward on to stage when you run off. you can get a fsmash if all they do is buffer roll every time. if theyre smarter and mix it up with buffering ledgehop its harder but you can still punish that by double jumping back and using nado at the right spacing.

i dont really see anyone else use trumping because i guess they think its flawed but if you mix it up with double jumping backwards when you run off its like impossible to react to and you get big rewards with fsmash and bair. its hard on wifi though ill give you that
Watching you play against Rich Brown gave me the idea to add a list of characters we can hit on the ledge from on stage with forward smash, as forcing a ledge trump against his Olimar net you a stock in one of those games.

ZTD | TECHnology

Watching @ ItoI6 ItoI6 . REALLY impressed with how you dealt with Serudos. That MU is so difficult. ZSS is such a stupidly safe character. That guy definitely knew how to deal with Metaknight's tools as well. These vids are great, thanks for linking them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom