• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Meta Knight: Questions & Answers Thread (Don't make or reply to new threads just asking questions)

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
Can anyone give me some advice vs Sheik

I'm not really sure what to do at all when she's sh/fhing and spacing fairs.. In theory I can fair her hand since my fair is disjointed but it's also kind of risky since I have a lot of landing lag on fair.

Idk what to do
F-TILT. That's honestly a MU that you just wanna take really slow. If she resorts to needles then you should stall in the air.
Basically you wanna lame the **** outta her. Once she gets annoyed and has to approach you is when you capitalize on her mistakes.

And it's always a good idea to check out our Shiek discussion in the Matchup directoy if you haven't already.

Last edited:

Kaffei

Smash Hero
F-TILT. That's honestly a MU that you just wanna take really slow. If she resorts to needles then you should stall in the air.
Basically you wanna lame the **** outta her. Once she gets annoyed and has to approach you is when you capitalize on her mistakes.

And it's always a good idea to check out our Shiek discussion in the Matchup directoy if you haven't already.

How do I f-tilt falling fair though, only the 3rd hit hits in a way that beats her fair, no?

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
How do I f-tilt falling fair though, only the 3rd hit hits in a way that beats her fair, no?
Only the third hit works? Where did you hear that?
This might also be worth looking at

Last edited:

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Only the third hit works? Where did you hear that?
This might also be worth looking at

I mean Sheik's fair comes from above and swings down.. MK's ftilt 1 and 2 hit kind of lowish

LostinpinK

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ailkah
Don't fair, it won't work.

The best option is probably to juste step back by either rolling (MK's backroll is amazing) or running backwards and dash attack them on their cooldown. You can also sh nair or grab, it depends of their positioning.
Just remember to get away and then dive in with our great groundspeed. If you move in the air you'll probably whiff.

Just be patient, stay on the ground, and punish. You just need a decent reaction time.

Sneaky boy Nick

Smash Journeyman
New to meta knight. Can someone explain to me how to up air string? Sometimes you have to fast fall the up air but it's really confusing.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
New to meta knight. Can someone explain to me how to up air string? Sometimes you have to fast fall the up air but it's really confusing.
Practice, practice, practice, then practice some more. Just about all there is to it. Go into training, set a character's percent to their combo percentage, and go at it. For most characters this starts around 25%.

Fye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FE-Judge
In addition to what Amadeus said, you want to fast fall if your second jump would make MK the same height or above the opponent. You just jump if they go jump-high. This requires familiarity with MK's air mobility and jump height. Keep in mind that this is percent dependent and sometimes it's better to cut your losses and finish early for more %.

Sneaky boy Nick

Smash Journeyman
In addition to what Amadeus said, you want to fast fall if your second jump would make MK the same height or above the opponent. You just jump if they go jump-high. This requires familiarity with MK's air mobility and jump height. Keep in mind that this is percent dependent and sometimes it's better to cut your losses and finish early for more %.
So if I space my jumps well I won't have to fast fall?

Practice, practice, practice, then practice some more. Just about all there is to it. Go into training, set a character's percent to their combo percentage, and go at it. For most characters this starts around 25%.
Do most of you guys use L or R to jump?

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
I'm having a really hard time implementing the buffed jab into my gameplay. After watching Ito use it so well on Come on and Ban I've been trying to take advantage of it, but I keep on forgetting to use it. I always use F-tilt by instinct now.

Sneaky boy Nick

Smash Journeyman
I'm having a really hard time implementing the buffed jab into my gameplay. After watching Ito use it so well on Come on and Ban I've been trying to take advantage of it, but I keep on forgetting to use it. I always use F-tilt by instinct now.
I feel like his f tilt is still better. Especially since his ftilt was super buffed. I know in brawl mKs jab refreshed all his moves when you mashed it but I'm not sure about here.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
So if I space my jumps well I won't have to fast fall?
Some characters require a fast fall at certain percents. It's pretty much just that vague. You'll need to experiment with different characters and get a feel for it. Up air strings are very, very organic/dynamic.

Do most of you guys use L or R to jump?
I use X and oscillate between x and a while holding up, and fast falling in between (sometimes... I'm still working on that tbh. Haha) You will also need to move right or left in between jumps depending on opponent DI.

Having a trigger set to jump isn't all that useful for up air strings I've found, as it just adds another layer of complexity to it. Tap jump isn't particularly helpful either. However you will want one of the two turned on so you can up-b out of shield. I personally use L as jump for OoS moves because I find tap jump completely abhorrent.

Yeah, I'm really stuck on "MK jab is really bad", and now that its good, its hard to change my habits. I've just gotta put in more time.

Last edited:

Sneaky boy Nick

Smash Journeyman
Some characters require a fast fall at certain percents. It's pretty much just that vague. You'll need to experiment with different characters and get a feel for it. Up air strings are very, very organic/dynamic.

I use X and oscillate between x and a while holding up, and fast falling in between (sometimes... I'm still working on that tbh. Haha) You will also need to move right or left in between jumps depending on opponent DI.

Having a trigger set to jump isn't all that useful for up air strings I've found, as it just adds another layer of complexity to it. Tap jump isn't particularly helpful either. However you will want one of the two turned on so you can up-b out of shield. I personally use L as jump for OoS moves because I find tap jump completely abhorrent.

Yeah, I'm really stuck on "MK jab is really bad", and now that its good, its hard to change my habits. I've just gotta put in more time.
So how should I up B out of shield?

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
So how should I up B out of shield?
Well, I use a pro controller. So I have a jump button right next to the B button.

I'm assuming you use a GC controller though. Using L or R is probably your best choice if you don't like tap jump. I guess I'm not really qualified to answer for GC users.

Last edited:

Sneaky boy Nick

Smash Journeyman
Well, I use a pro controller. So I have a jump button right next to the B button.

I'm assuming you use a GC controller though. Using L or R is probably your best choice if you don't like tap jump. I guess I'm not really qualified to answer for GC users.
I'm saying should I short hop up b or what?

warionumbah2

Smash Master
If you're struggling to use jab just go fight a good falcon, you'll be forced to use it or else you'll get bodied.

It is weird using a jab with MK after all this time, jab is officially better than ftilt imo.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
No use the jump cancel upb oos, the swwetspot is huge so it's better
So, let go of shield > jump > immediately upB? If so I can see why tap jump is good for MK now.

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
Nope, jump and quickly UpB. The jump will cancel the shield drop animation, then the upB will cancel the jump animation. It's the fastest punish you can get oos

diegojms

Smash Rookie
New here.
Anyone has any initial thoughts on :4ryu: Matchup?
Im having a hard time against good Ryu players online.

For me it seems almost all Ryu moves have priorities over MKs ground and air approaches (Dash attacks , Dash grabs, Fairs, Nairs). And if you play defensively you'll need to deal with all the hadoukens and Tatsumaki Senpukyaku.

I know the character only has 1 week, and the meta is almost inexistent, but any tips on how to deal with this MU?

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Tatsumaki is laggy and can be reacted upon. A lot of his moves have significant end lag and aren't very safe on shield. If he uses any of the powered versions of Hadouken you can literally Drill Rush through them and him on reaction. Regular Hadouken can enough lag for you to dash > PS and punish him for it or Dimensional Cape if you want to send a message. Stay grounded, stay in mid range and focus on juggling him. If you ever end up above him directly just get out of there, his juggle game is pretty dumb. The plethora of multi hit moves we have will make him think twice about trying to truck through our aerial game with his Focus Attack.

Also challenging his aerial game head on is not worth it in most cases. Fair especially is really dumb. Lastly, focus on not hitting his shield with laggy things (or you will die early).

Last edited:

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
I'd like to clarify what "camping" with MK means (might be a dumb q). Am I right to think it's basically sort of staying away from them and waiting for them to approach? I assume this only works if MK is ahead. And why do it? Is it the best (or even, only) playstyle to win certain matchups?

ZTD | TECHnology

In this context, camping essentially refers to the avoidance of direct engagement with your opponent.

This can work when your opponent is trailing in the percent/stock lead or when there is enough time to where a non stock lead is not important during this time.

This is sometimes a matchup specific technique as well as a player/playstyle specific tactic. For some MUs (like Luigi) avoiding direct contact with your opponent while goading them into chasing you can work well as it can lead them to have to perform unsafe actions in an attempt to reach you. In our case, we have 6 jumps and excellent ground speed as well as Dimensional Cape for safe movement mixups, so characters that have poor mobility like Luigi have a very difficult time actually cornering us into a disadvantageous situation. If we have a lead, characters who don't have threatening long range options and have poor mobility are essentially placed in a situation where they must approach against us unless we're down a stock/time is against you.

Also see these illustrations:

Last edited:

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
I'm having some issues when I use the gamecube controller. The analog triggers prevent me from doing things such as Sheilding immediately, which makes me struggle against things such as projectile users when I'm using MK. Any advice?

Ulevo

Smash Master
I'm having some issues when I use the gamecube controller. The analog triggers prevent me from doing things such as Sheilding immediately, which makes me struggle against things such as projectile users when I'm using MK. Any advice?
Get used to light tapping the triggers rather than pressing them down completely.

Qazoo306

Smash Cadet
Is tap jump needed to do Dash attack -> Up Air -> Footstool? I've never taken time in training mode to try it without tap jump on, but I couldn't get the jump to up air out of dash attack in an (online) match against my friend by simply pressing X to jump. I personally don't like tap jump, but if it's needed for that tech, I can probably get used to it by my next tournament.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Is tap jump needed to do Dash attack -> Up Air -> Footstool? I've never taken time in training mode to try it without tap jump on, but I couldn't get the jump to up air out of dash attack in an (online) match against my friend by simply pressing X to jump. I personally don't like tap jump, but if it's needed for that tech, I can probably get used to it by my next tournament.
It is not needed, but it might be preferable if you use X to jump. I use Y, so it is relatively easy to do aerials and jumps simultaneously.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
I've ended up binding R to jump, and using R + C-stick to full hop Uair in that combo. Once you get used to using R to full hop in certain situations (as opposed to Y which is my default jump) it's pretty great, but it's complicated at first. R jump works pretty well for Up-B OOS as well. I just really dislike tap jump.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

I use X as my jump and recently swapped my R to Special as I don't use it anyway (L will always be my Shield). Worked out really well. Super easy for me to Shuttle Loop out of shield without using Tap Jump now.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
:4sheik: is good at everything

• She beats everyone
  • She can cook
  • Does the house work
  • Takes care of the kids
  • Willing to be down for anything during our 'alone' time
  • She's the best in the game
  • She beats everyone
  • She's a lawyer and doctor aka MONEYYYY
  • She beats everyone
  • Triforce = Illuminati

If i was an anime weab who loves fictional characters in an unhealthy manner, i'd buy 5000th amiibos of her cause Sheik.Don't.Lose.

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
How do you recommend spacing with MK? What are his best spacing moves? Is Fair safe on shield? I'm totally new to MK and have been trying Dair spacing but it seems like that sucks in this game.

Last edited:

Meatbag

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KeithSprings
Just stay at charizard Fire breath range, which should be about midrange, and focus on punishing your opponents mistakes. I guess mk can space with ftilt, and dtilt, but it's not worth it.
How do you recommend spacing with MK? What are his best spacing moves? Is Fair safe on shield? I'm totally new to MK and have been trying Dair spacing but it seems like that sucks in this game.

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
So in general just don't space? It seems like that limits his mix ups quite a bit. Spacing makes punish games more effective, and is a good way to mixup play strategy during a match.

What is micro spacing? Sorry if that's a dumb question.

Last edited:
Top Bottom