• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight - Behind the Mask

Desruprot

Smash Lord
Funny you should ask, I was just thinking of this today. I have in my Kirby guide short video clips of each of Kirby's attacks, but they're done in AR to show the hitboxes frame-by-frame. I can't do this for Meta Knight because there's no easy way to get into developer mode as there was in Melee, so I was thinking of just showing a video clip of each of his attacks.

If anyone else has some good things they'd like to see for this guide after Brawl comes out, please let me know. I'd like to do a nice update after the 10th of Feb. ^_^
How do you get into developer mode in Melee? I never figured that out...

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
How do you get into developer mode in Melee? I never figured that out...
The common way for players to do it is to use Action Replay (AR), activate the debug code, and then select developer mode from the debug menu.

@ RazeveX, please don't think my longish post was a rant toward you, I just didn't have time to make my reply concise and it came out wordy in my attempt to explain everything in detail. I'm probably going to rewrite the Mach Tornado section to clarify the different ways it possibly works. So thanks for bringing up the subject.

RazeveX

Smash Ace
@ RazeveX, please don't think my longish post was a rant toward you, I just didn't have time to make my reply concise and it came out wordy in my attempt to explain everything in detail. I'm probably going to rewrite the Mach Tornado section to clarify the different ways it possibly works. So thanks for bringing up the subject.
Its actually the opposite, i felt bad because i thought my post sounded too harsh and critical.

Anyway thanks for the future vid with metaknight, cant wait...if its not too much trouble, can you run through a few possible combos??

Oh and @ that guy who asked if i was an aussie; yes, yes i am.

Dont get why thats so amazing...didnt think i was that big at smashboards...

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I have a question:

You say his D-smash isn't good for KOs but it's like Marths and it's good for edgeguarding. So does it push horizontally or downwards like a Jiggs D-smash with more priority or does it send them up like Marths too?

And GREAT WORK t!MmY :)
It knocks them at more of a horizontal angle, but it still has an arc to it. It really didn't seem to have more priority than Jigglypuff's D-smash in Melee. People overestimate the length of Meta Knight's sword.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
It knocks them at more of a horizontal angle, but it still has an arc to it. It really didn't seem to have more priority than Jigglypuff's D-smash in Melee. People overestimate the length of Meta Knight's sword.
Alright thanks. And yeah, his sword isn't even YLinks size.
And by 3 strikes easy to DI out of his U-smash, do you mean the first hits and that's it cause they are popped up too far, or cause they're pushed to the side too far. Because the slashes come out really quickly. Does the first slash at least have the force to knock them away a little or is it crap like Links in melee?

Alright thanks. And yeah, his sword isn't even YLinks size.
And by 3 strikes easy to DI out of his U-smash, do you mean the first hits and that's it cause they are popped up too far, or cause they're pushed to the side too far. Because the slashes come out really quickly. Does the first slash at least have the force to knock them away a little or is it crap like Links in melee?
The first hit would be the only one that is easy to DI out of, because it's designed to work as a string. The last hit is the only one that has significant knockback.

Oxico

Smash Rookie
Meta Knight's forward throw is a backflip kick. It was in the Peach vs. MK video from E4 All. I am sure of it.

Oxico

Smash Rookie
Meta Knight's forward throw is a backflip kick. It was in the Peach vs. MK video from E4 All. I am sure of it. I wish one of his taunts or color changes involved him taking off his mask. Oh well.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
so the general consensus from people who went to Whobby 2008 is that Meta Knight is pretty good =) good news for us future MK mains, hum? =)
MK is easy to pick up and play. That much is true since E4All. However I wonder how good people will think Metaknight is when playing "itemless".

-Knight

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Ok, so Metaknight's sword is small. Does that mean his disjointed hitboxes will be ineffective?

Also, how is Metaknight's dash speed? could you compare it to anyone in melee?
His hitboxes won't be ineffective, but I really wouldn't call them "disjointed". It really did feel like Kirby's attacks in Melee, but with more speed and effectiveness.

Meta Knight's dash speed was pretty average for Brawl. If I were to compare it to someone in Melee, I would say it felt a lot like Mewtwo's. This is mostly because when Meta Knight dashes, his wings are spread and he feel "big" like how Mewtwo feels "big" with his tail while dash dancing. Speed-wise, you can see for yourself in the videos, but I would say he's about on par with Mario.

RazeveX

Smash Ace
I really wouldn't call them "disjointed". It really did feel like Kirby's attacks in Melee, but with more speed and effectiveness.
So...if its not disjointed...his sword is a vulnerable hitbox? Because that really doesn't make sense at all...how else can they not be disjointed?

It'd be much better if he had very good air speed and dash speed, even if his attacks only did 7-8% damage. Seriously, i'd like him way better that way.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I guess the term "disjointed" is sort of fuzzy which is why you see it thrown around so much. No hitbox is "vulnerable" except the character's "hitbox" (which is their body and is yellow in AR). True hitboxes, those that are attacks (seen as red in AR), do not count as the character's body.

So, if your definition of "disjointed" is simply an attack hitbox that goes beyond the body hitbox of the character to any given degree, then yes, many if not all of Meta Knight's attacks are disjointed, as can be said about pretty much any attack.

If your definition of "disjointed" is a great degree of distance extending outside the body's hitbox, such as Marth's sword, then Meta Knight's attacks are hardly disjointed.

If your definition of "disjointed" is simply a part of the character's appearance that is not part of the character's body hitbox, such as Link's shield, Pikachu's party hat, etc. Then, yes, Meta Knight's sword appears to be entirely disjointed.

Keep in mind I must base all this on my limited knowledge of the demo. The most important thing to remember is neither I nor anyone at E For All had access to a developer-mode rendition of the game.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
T!mmy, I played Meta Knight in Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland yesterday. He pretty much plays how you described him. Sakurai obviously based him off of how he played in that game. Basically, fast on the ground. Slow in the air.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I agree. When I first unlocked Meta Knight in Nightmare in Dreamland on my GBA oh those long years ago, I thought to myself "He's going to be in the next Smash Bros!" :)

Dynamism

Smash Lord
I used to dream about Meta Knight in smash bros long before Brawl was named Brawl. To this day, I have a weird feeling that all of my wishes about having him and Charizard in the game, is the reason they are here and were revealed so early. I am satisfied with Brawl because of their inclusion :) Brawl will be good no matter what now!

Desruprot

Smash Lord
well charizard was technically already in the game...I have loathed metaknight to be in the game, now I have him to make my enemy in to slices of meat...

Oxico

Smash Rookie
The pic from Kirby Superstar is quite old. Meta Knight, in auctuallity, has white eyes...and no rosey blush if I recall, just a white zig-zag lookin' thing on each cheek. MK's mask makes the user's eyes seem....yellower.

turoki

Smash Rookie
hey timmy ive seen ya as a kirby pro on youtube awsome and awsome thread now i know meta-knights moveset

Staco

Smash Champion
hey timmy, which tier would you give mk (if he where in melee)?
would he be better, than marth?

RazeveX

Smash Ace
Timmy, before i forget, you mentioned that Meta Knight's down tilt is like kirby's new one, but i couldn't find any information about it, so in effect i have no idea what MK's d tilt does.

What is kirby's new d tilt, and how does it link to MK?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
hey timmy, which tier would you give mk (if he where in melee)?
would he be better, than marth?
I would wager Middle Melee Tier. Think of Kirby with better Special Attacks and with faster Standard Attacks (and some attacks given better range like N-air) - and amazing recovery.

I don't understand how anyone could think Meta Knight might be better than Marth.

Timmy, before i forget, you mentioned that Meta Knight's down tilt is like kirby's new one, but i couldn't find any information about it, so in effect i have no idea what MK's d tilt does.

What is kirby's new d tilt, and how does it link to MK?
I compare his D-tilt to Kirby's D-tilt in Melee because of the striking range and knockback. It looks like Marth's D-tilt (with a shorter sword), but it acts a lot more like Melee Kirby's D-tilt with a slight shifting slide forward, plus you can do multiple D-tilts quickly in succession.

S2

Smash Lord
I agree with the middle-tier thing. His praises were being sung by casuals who were simply spamming his B-moves.

If Meta has good priority it'll help him a bit. He may end up having some cheap stuff that uses his amazing recovery abilities, we'll see.

RazeveX

Smash Ace
I would wager Middle Melee Tier. Think of Kirby with better Special Attacks and with faster Standard Attacks (and some attacks given better range like N-air) - and amazing recovery.

I don't understand how anyone could think Meta Knight might be better than Marth.

I compare his D-tilt to Kirby's D-tilt in Melee because of the striking range and knockback. It looks like Marth's D-tilt (with a shorter sword), but it acts a lot more like Melee Kirby's D-tilt with a slight shifting slide forward, plus you can do multiple D-tilts quickly in succession.
lol, i made a huge mistake....

i meant UP TILT

every time i said down or d, replace with up or u..

yeah, so kirbys new up tilt?

Slater88

Smash Cadet
Pros
  • Quick attacks with multiple hits
  • Little lag
  • Amazing recovery
  • Multiple Mid-Air Jumps
  • Able to Glide
  • Good priority
I disagree with your placement of Meta Knight's priority. Except for some of his special moves, Meta Knight doesn't have a noteworthy priority I think.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
i meant UP TILT
Oh, okay this makes more sense now. When you look at Kirby's U-tilt in Brawl it appears to be a little bit faster with a little bit more vertical reach to it. Compare it to Meta Knight's U-tilt and you can see that they're very similar except that Meta Knight is using a sword and Kirby is using his feet. From what I've seen of Kirby in videos it appears the knockback is very similar too.

I disagree with your placement of Meta Knight's priority. Except for some of his special moves, Meta Knight doesn't have a noteworthy priority I think.
You're right, Meta Knight's priority is not amazing and the moves with noteworthy priority are specific and not general. But now notice how I say his priority is "good" and not "great" or something to that effect and listed it at the bottom.

I would say Ike has "great" priority in reach, but it's mitigated by his speed. So even though Ike has reach priority , Meta Knight has speed priority. If they strike at the same time, Meta Knight will hit first.

Taking everything into consideration I don't think Meta Knight has bad priority, nor great priority. It's just good and certainly better than I expected compared to his counterpart, Kirby.

Slater88

Smash Cadet
You're right, Meta Knight's priority is not amazing and the moves with noteworthy priority are specific and not general. But now notice how I say his priority is "good" and not "great" or something to that effect and listed it at the bottom.
Yeah. I didn't read very thoroughly. But compared to sword users I wouldn't call his priority good. I guess you could consider it good if you compared Meta Knight to all the characters though...

I would say Ike has "great" priority in reach, but it's mitigated by his speed. So even though Ike has reach priority , Meta Knight has speed priority. If they strike at the same time, Meta Knight will hit first.
If Meta Knight's move hits Ike's move, Meta Knight will probably be the one to suffer. Though his down smash comes out nearly instantly. But Ike does have a fairly fast back aerial that comes with power and range.

Taking everything into consideration I don't think Meta Knight has bad priority, nor great priority. It's just good and certainly better than I expected compared to his counterpart, Kirby.
I think Kirby was improved since Melee, but Meta Knight does have a better priority. Not sure if he can beat Kirby's hammer though.

Staco

Smash Champion
you said marth is better than mk
I dont think so after I watched this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYYIffOx5z8

its very amazing
I looked some pro marthvideos and marth was a lot more miserable than mk in this

the mostly different is, that this player plays a other way than you timmy, that is much much better than your e for all gameplay

seems that mk is high or top tier? and better than some people say atm

and mk seems to be nothing like kirby
you only played him like kirby, and mk played like kirby is very very miserable
but mk played in mk style seems to be very very good

Triple_R2

Smash Rookie
During school, at the U, Minneapolis, MN; otherwis
I still wouldn't go as far to say he might be top tier already. The game isn't even out in the US yet. The video you showed Frozzn was all against computers. We still have to wait and see how real people could counter what meta knight was doing. Until we play the game for ourselves, I wouldn't really worry about how high on the tier list he'll be.

Slater88

Smash Cadet
you said marth is better than mk
I dont think so after I watched this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYYIffOx5z8

its very amazing
I looked some pro marthvideos and marth was a lot more miserable than mk in this

the mostly different is, that this player plays a other way than you timmy, that is much much better than your e for all gameplay

seems that mk is high or top tier? and better than some people say atm

and mk seems to be nothing like kirby
you only played him like kirby, and mk played like kirby is very very miserable
but mk played in mk style seems to be very very good
Those fights with Meta Knight were against a computer of questionable level. Like Triple R2 said.

Top Bottom