• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Memorable Matches and Tournaments

SpeedyJ

Smash Journeyman
What do you guys think are the most memorable tournaments?

And what are your favorite sets? I can never get enough of Armada vs Mew2King (Pound 4).

Darv

Smash Apprentice
Most memorable for me is Ken vs Isai MOAST 3 finals. The first melee videos i ever watched and got me into competitive smash.

Favorite sets

M2K vs KDJ MLG Long Island
M2K vs Armada... every set they play is amazing
M2K vs DaShizWiz FAST1 LF
Mango vs Armada Genesis GF
Dr PP vs Armada Pound V GF
Ken vs Bombsoldier JGT GF
Ken vs PC Chris MLG Anaheim 2006 GF

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Mango vs Armada Genesis 1 GF set 1 is still the greatest set of all time and anyone who disagrees is dumb.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Best sets I ever saw live was
SINGLES: Ken vs PC Chris MLG Anaheim 2006.
DOUBLES: Ken & Isai vs Taj & Forward Champ Combo: Norcal Edition (first tournament set Ken and Isai ever lost).

As far as vids go, Mango vs Armada from Genesis has to take the cake.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
MELEE-FC3 - Best tournament ever. However, it may not be memorable or even remembered by anyone left posting on this board.

Almost all the great sets have been mentioned, which is cool. Posts 6-8 form a pretty comprehensive list, I think.

Also, Isai vs. Darkrain in Regional Crews at FC3 deserves its own nod. He almost singlehandedly drove the MW to a win.

Luma

Smash Lord
@kishprime

fc3 had the best crewbattles ever, kinda funny though that most people dont even know how singles went xD (just to be sure, finals were ken vs sastopher right? xD)

KishPrime

BRoomer
Yeah, I keep saying Sastopher is the best player no one's ever heard of. His own fault for never traveling and playing largely pre-video.

In some ways singles was less memorable because if I remember right, a lot of the hyped players went down early. A lot of this is off the top of my head, so it might not be right: Darkrain was amazing in crews but went out to a good Ganon player from AZ and ended up in 9th. PC Chris was just starting to get noticed but he fell early once brackets started. Once he went to loser's bracket, Azen got countered to Pipes even though it was banned but refused to restart the round and lost to DA Dave. I think Isai lost early, but he might've made it further than any of these, too. One of the latest matches was Sas eliminating Chu, which was just boring because it was a Peach-IC demolition. It was a loaded bracket for the time but it just played out weird. Players like KrazyJones, who was absolutely a Top 15 player but wasn't elite, got to 5th place.

Then Sastopher and Ken got their rematch from TG6, and that was actually a great match, from my recollection, but Ken pretty well controlled it.

The crew battles were unbelievable because they'd never happened before and because EVERYONE actually came out for them. Hard to say regional crews were ever been quite the same since, there was always at least one really major player missing from one of the key regions (EDIT: at least up to 2007ish...I'm old).

crush

Smash Master
isai and ken vs azen and chillin, that match on battlefield where isai downsmashed ken and azen and azen upb-ed backwards into kens up-b to hit himself towards the stage so he could recover

Brookman

Smash Hero
One of the most memorable matches I have ever witnessed was in teams.

It was back in . .. . 06 maybe? At a Gauntlet or Zenith during the teams bracket. KDJ and Marcus vs. Bum and another player who I can't recall (potentially wes??).

Bum's team mate was just eliminated and it is very late in the game. All three remaining players are on their last stock with high percentage and Bum is now staring down two sheiks.

Amazingly, Bum charges his DK punch and just . . . lobs himself at the sheik's and (IIRC) kills KDJ with his DK punch and proceeds to win 1v1 vs. marcus. Great set/match/moment.

I wonder if anyone else remembers this ****.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I remembered it. I like when Armada's fox was gettin off at the first genesis in teams.

L7Junkie

Smash Apprentice
Most memorable for me is Ken vs Isai MOAST 3 finals. The first melee videos i ever watched and got me into competitive smash.

Favorite sets

M2K vs KDJ MLG Long Island
M2K vs Armada... every set they play is amazing
M2K vs DaShizWiz FAST1 LF
Mango vs Armada Genesis GF
Dr PP vs Armada Pound V GF
Ken vs Bombsoldier JGT GF
Ken vs PC Chris MLG Anaheim 2006 GF
So, yes and no..

strawhats

Smash Master
So why yes and no? I mean if its because its not referenced to the RoM set then I feel like FAST 1 was more epic. Especially watching the video of game 5 on YT with the matrix music in the background.

:phone:

Sizzle

I paint controllers
Best things I saw live include:

M2K at OC3 ****** in crews, Armada vs everyone at Genesis, WC vs EC at Genesis, among others. I've watched a lot of good matches on livestream like ROM, Pound, Apex, and most tournament videos posted on Youtube, but FC3 Crews with the video of the crowd side by side with the action was an epic moment in Smash history and something I wish was more popular. The sound of the crowd is one thing, but actually seeing them go wild was awesome.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
i remember following fc3 singles on the dc++ chat

ken didnt play any marth the whole tournament, until he finally lost one match to sastopher then went marth on ys

his falco and doc were handling everyone just fine

the straight up dominance of ken was probably the reason that singles tournament wasnt so remembered, but man ken vs neo at mlg chicago was pretty amazing now that i think about it

KishPrime

BRoomer
He didn't?! I don't remember that, but I'm sure I was busy.

I know in the lead-up to FC3 he was talking about how Fox was the future and that's why he stocked up on Foxes for his WC team. I thought he was playing Fox if anything.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
he played fox in the crew battles, and probably a lot of other times, but i distinctly remember hearing about his falco and doc at least at some points

Metakill

Smash Journeyman
Mango vs Armada Genesis GF1 match 4.
mango mango bring it mangooooo (Usmash... just 1 stock left)
usa!!! usa!!!....
Everybody is chillin (?) Is so HYPE!
mango, mango...
*rest*
OOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!

Top Bottom