• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project MeleeModdingLibrary: A C library for modding SSBM

luckycharms14

Smash Rookie
This project was created to solve many of the problems I experienced when writing an AI for SSBM. In that project, I wrote an entire AI in C based on the ideas in this thread . The problem with doing things that way is that the linking step in entirely skipped. Many important things happen in that step and skipping it resulted in some ugly code. You can see the original code here. I've recently moved away from improving this AI and instead focused on improving the process.

To solve my issues I created wiimake, which is a tool for compiling, linking, and injecting C code into iso files for the Wii/Gamecube. All you need to provide is your source files and the available regions of memory that can be overwritten. In one command wiimake will compile and link your C files, find an arangement of the resulting assembly code so it fits within the given regions of memory, and inject the code into the iso.

wiimake really opens the door for modding SSBM, since understanding assembly is no longer required. Beginners should have an easier time getting into modding, and experienced modders will have more tools at their disposal. The biggest benefit of wiimake is the ability to link against libraries. Having community-maintained, open-source libraries will go a long way towards making SSBM modding easier and more stable.

I created the MeleeModdingLibrary for exactly this purpose. It contains basic things such as math and random number generation, as well as more exciting things such as dynamic memory allocation, text output, error handling, and unit testing. There is also full support for writing your own AI. I've created a full tutorial along with a pretty detailed wiki, so I'm hoping even beginners will be able to use this library.

I will keep posting updates in this thread. There is also a discord and MeleeModdingLibrary@gmail.com for any questions/suggestions you have.

Last edited:

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
This is some really amazing work! I will be looking into making use of this soon.

It's funny I actually was looking at your thread about your AI yesterday, as I was searching around for information for a similar type of project. I am actually more interested in an AI that can be scripted or programmed to respond just for certain scenarios. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do with this, thanks.

luckycharms14

Smash Rookie
I am actually more interested in an AI that can be scripted or programmed to respond just for certain scenarios.
You should check out the AI made in the tutorial. Since it completely overwrites the original AI, it will only respond to scenarios you tell it too.

Top Bottom