• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MeleeHps and MeleeSsm

GenesisFan64

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone, I'm GF64, the infamous Sonic hacker who put ponies as enemies in Sonic 2 nick arcade and those random things...

I'm releasing these tools for Melee:

~ MeleeHps ~
This "tool" makes music files for SSBM, also works for Kirby Air Ride which uses the same music format
Some people are aware of this because there's some post directing to Retro

Instructions:
(copy-paste from Retro)
- Get Audacity, any version is fine
- Open the song in Audacity
- Click on that arrow on the left (the one with the song name), then separate the song to mono, you'll get 2 channels
- Then do multiple export, set the output folder to /dsp/ and click on Export
- Now rename those files to LEFT.wav and RIGHT.wav
- Click on run.bat, wait until finishes converting, you will see the new files: LEFT.dsp and RIGHT.dsp
THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART: IN BOTH .dsp FILES, PAD THEM WITH 00's IF THE ARE TRIMMED, otherwise the song will crash in-game
- Open main.asm, you'll see:
Code:
Samples        equ    14694912
SampleRate    equ    44100
Blocks        equ    257
"Samples", put the number of samples of the song
"SampleRate", self-explanatory
"Blocks", this is the interesting part, you have to guess the value to make the .hps work correctly (since I don't know how to calculate it), put a random higher value, like 400

- Now open build.bat
If you get a lot of Zero Length errors, low the value and try again.
If on the command line window you can see the last sucessful converted block, copy the ID to the number of blocks and build again

If you don't see any errors, here you go.
(but if it's at first time, high the value until you see the zero length errors, and keep looking for the last sucessful converted block, just to make sure)

you'll see the file output.hps

The file is also playable in Winamp with the vgmstream plugin
and for some reason the .hps file will loop wrong on winamp, but it will work fine on Melee.

Enjoy.

~ MeleeSsm ~
This is a new "tool" I finished months ago, this makes custom SFX packs for Melee (but NOT for Kirby Air Ride)
Note: ONLY MONO sounds

Instructions:
- Convert your sound just like in MeleeHps (only MAIN.wav is used here.)
- Now open main.asm
- To insert a sound, you have to remember the ID of the sound that you are going to replace
for example, I want to make a custom "accept" sound, the ID is $76
- Go to the Headers, then youi'll find ";$70", now start counting until you find the ID
(in this "main.asm" file this step is already done, but you get the point for the other sounds)
format:
Header (Filename),(SampleRate)

- Go to the Samples, do the same step like with the header (find ";$70", start counting) [but you don't need to put the samplerate here]
- Now run build.bat
- Done
If wanna see if it works, run ssmex.bat, the dsp files are located in /test, and find the ID of the sound you made

Download both tools (Ctrl+V to save the full .zip)
don't forget to put DSPADPCM.exe, dsptool.dll and soundfile.dll in the specific /tool directory
MeleeHps: /dsp/tool
MeleeSsm: /convert/tool

Proof:
Some funny match from friends, one of them is a pro

Enjoy.

Last edited:

Doq

Smash Lord
I'm gonna try these out and see how they work. As one of the more knowledgeable Melee hackers here -- and most of my experience is with audio -- I want to see these tools in action myself, and see if they would be usable by the average newbie. Especially the HPS maker, because we have a very good and working method using the program our community uses (hps_insert, by GodFed).
------------------------ POST MERGE ---------------------------
So I tried it out and here is what I think of the two programs:

MeleeHps
When I looked at the program for the first time I thought it was gonna crash either my computer or the game. That ended up being a total lie. The program is highly customizable and very powerful, and my first HPS with it looped perfectly. The only issues I have with this are the length of the instructions; the fact that it causes short pauses in the audio, although that might just be my Dolphin; and looping directly is kind of hard. Because of this, I'd only recommend this program to people who I would know wouldn't mess it up. 6.5/10

MeleeSsm
Alright, this one didn't go as planned. The game basically crashed when I loaded Main.ssm into my Melee gcm. Nothing to say here. 2/10

GenesisFan64

Smash Rookie
MeleeSsm
Alright, this one didn't go as planned. The game basically crashed when I loaded Main.ssm into my Melee gcm. Nothing to say here. 2/10
*checks again*
whoops sorry, i actually did a last moment change thinking it might still work, but nope
in main.asm

change
Code:
    ;    cnop 0,$1F82F0 <- Maximum SFX size
to
Code:
        cnop 0,$1F82F0 ;<- Maximum SFX size
and now try again.

ShockSlayer

Smash Cadet
I'd love to have some way to add longer sounds the the .ssm files; would make custom characters mods much easier.

SS

D

Deleted member

I'm going to give this a shot, looks very fun and useful. Can you share how you changed the stage names ( and icons )?

Decipio-Carmen

Smash Apprentice
Is there a way to specify a specific block size for MeleeHPS?

Last edited:

Decipio-Carmen

Smash Apprentice
Does MeleeSSM allow me to create sound effects that differ in length from original sound effects?

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
I'm trying to modify a falcon sound file using MeleeSSM, AKA not main.ssm. It looks like this program is used for just main.ssm as there is only a main.ASM file for locating the ID's. Am i supposed to generate a captain.asm somewhere prior to using this program?

Itaru

MasterGanon
Hello everyone, I'm GF64, the infamous Sonic hacker who put ponies as enemies in Sonic 2 nick arcade and those random things...

I'm releasing these tools for Melee:

~ MeleeHps ~
This "tool" makes music files for SSBM, also works for Kirby Air Ride which uses the same music format
Some people are aware of this because there's some post directing to Retro

Instructions:
(copy-paste from Retro)

~ MeleeSsm ~
This is a new "tool" I finished months ago, this makes custom SFX packs for Melee (but NOT for Kirby Air Ride)
Note: ONLY MONO sounds

Instructions:
- Convert your sound just like in MeleeHps (only MAIN.wav is used here.)
- Now open main.asm
- To insert a sound, you have to remember the ID of the sound that you are going to replace
for example, I want to make a custom "accept" sound, the ID is $76
- Go to the Headers, then youi'll find ";$70", now start counting until you find the ID
(in this "main.asm" file this step is already done, but you get the point for the other sounds)
format:
Header (Filename),(SampleRate)

- Go to the Samples, do the same step like with the header (find ";$70", start counting) [but you don't need to put the samplerate here]
- Now run build.bat
- Done
If wanna see if it works, run ssmex.bat, the dsp files are located in /test, and find the ID of the sound you made

Download both tools (Ctrl+V to save the full .zip)
don't forget to put DSPADPCM.exe, dsptool.dll and soundfile.dll in the specific /tool directory
MeleeHps: /dsp/tool
MeleeSsm: /convert/tool

Proof:
Some funny match from friends, one of them is a pro

SSM test, on dolphin
(done with a old version of that tool)

Enjoy.
Video tutorial please!!!

Gunner Runner

Smash Rookie
is there an easier way, i tried using "GC-Tool" which kets you replace files, yet when i tried with my premade file that i didn't test yet, and it just says "you can't replace a file with a lager file" please get back to me when you can! :estatic:

Last edited:
Top Bottom