• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2013 Community Tier List

oliman

Smash Journeyman
Oliman, why put Shiek so low?
love the yoshi placement

Armada, you still played amazing and maintained composure. I'll guarantee I've messed up worse. I was just picking a random example . . . definitely not trying to insult your play.
I used to think sheik was sooo good (like falco level). Now, I see sheik struggling to go even with the spacies, losing to jigglypuff and ice climbers, and not having the absurd advantage over marth she used to. Her recovery is worse than marth's (imo), she has trouble being above people (not unlike marth), and I believe that Marth is a superior edgeguarder nowadays.

I also used to think jigglypuff was cruddy, but I've more or less come around. It's true that she's bad in certain situations, but she is just so good at ****** people who aren't highly familiar with her, and her matchups are quite decent.

Bones0

Smash Legend
credentials:
internationally famous pop icon with over 15 million albums sold to date

also currently PR'd #3 in missouri (http://smashboards.com/threads/missouri-melee-power-rankings.336229/) and i've taken sets off some of the midwest's finest (trail, tink, matt r, etc) and a couple good OOR players. plus i think i'm the only puff main who isn't convinced my character is *** so that should count for something
If your PR rank is as legitimate as your Twitter followers rank, then I think we're done here.

K-9

Smash Rookie
I have no credentials really, I started playing about 5ish months ago. I'm just posting a list for the sake posting it.

1. Falco
2. Fox
3. Sheik
4. Puff

5. Marth
6. Peach
7. Falcon

8. Ice Climbers

9. Doctor Mario
10. Samus
11. Pikachu
12. Luigi

13. Ganondorf
14. Mario
15. Young Link
16. Link

17. Yoshi
18. DK
19. Mewtwo
20. Mr. Game & Watch

21. Zelda
22. Roy
23. Ness

24. Bowser
25. Kirby
26. Pichu

Some explanation:
My reasoning for Falco moving up is due to his incredible combo game and what I perceive as a character that is easier to do well with in comparison to fox. Sheik was moved up because her weight allows her to make mistakes in a more forgiving fashion as punishing her is not as easy or rewarding as punishing the spacies. Her edge game is also phenomenal and her combos are quite good.
I moved pikachu up mainly because axe has shown what he is capable of and I believe his strength of recovery and gimping out weigh his ability to die quickly and the frustatingly small amount of damage he deals with each of his hits. Luigi is the man and his combos can be incredible and work on a lot of the cast. His deceptive speed and strong arial game also boosts his placement. I'm a luigi main though so that might be biased. But he really does combo soooo hard. I would place him higher, but his tournament placings don't support it, yet :o
Ganondorf is bad... At least in my experience, though in Ganon's defense I haven't played anyone who was particularly good with him. He is slow and his moves seem easily avoidable and exploitable. His recovery is easily taken advantage of, even if it has to be done a million times, its not too difficult.
As i said, I'm a new player with only a small amount of experience, so I'm sure there are some holes in my broad summary explanations.

FourStar

Smash Ace
I have no credentials really, I started playing about 5ish months ago. I'm just posting a list for the sake posting it.

1. Falco
2. Fox
3. Sheik
4. Puff

5. Marth
6. Peach
7. Falcon

8. Ice Climbers

9. Doctor Mario
10. Samus
11. Pikachu
12. Luigi

13. Ganondorf
14. Mario
15. Young Link
16. Link

17. Yoshi
18. DK
19. Mewtwo
20. Mr. Game & Watch

21. Zelda
22. Roy
23. Ness

24. Bowser
25. Kirby
26. Pichu

Some explanation:
My reasoning for Falco moving up is due to his incredible combo game and what I perceive as a character that is easier to do well with in comparison to fox. Sheik was moved up because her weight allows her to make mistakes in a more forgiving fashion as punishing her is not as easy or rewarding as punishing the spacies. Her edge game is also phenomenal and her combos are quite good.
I moved pikachu up mainly because axe has shown what he is capable of and I believe his strength of recovery and gimping out weigh his ability to die quickly and the frustatingly small amount of damage he deals with each of his hits. Luigi is the man and his combos can be incredible and work on a lot of the cast. His deceptive speed and strong arial game also boosts his placement. I'm a luigi main though so that might be biased. But he really does combo soooo hard. I would place him higher, but his tournament placings don't support it, yet :o
Ganondorf is bad... At least in my experience, though in Ganon's defense I haven't played anyone who was particularly good with him. He is slow and his moves seem easily avoidable and exploitable. His recovery is easily taken advantage of, even if it has to be done a million times, its not too difficult.
As i said, I'm a new player with only a small amount of experience, so I'm sure there are some holes in my broad summary explanations.
there is always gonna be the falco vs fox for number 1 spot but honestly i haven't seen a better explained list in this whole thread

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
This is the last week of tier list voting. Everyone should double check their votes to make sure you have every character and that any credentials are there. After friday no new votes or modifications will be allowed

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Been playing this game since 2006. Began playing competitively around January 2012. I run a Northeast Melee stream www.twitch.tv/GreenLightLive although I consider myself more of a player than broadcaster. I attend around about a tournament a month.

1. Fox
2. Falco
3. Sheik
4. Jigglypuff
5. Marth
6. Peach
7. Captain Falcon
8. Ice Climbers
9. Dr. Mario
10. Pikachu
11. Samus
12. Ganon
13. Luigi
14. Yoshi
15. Mario
16. Donkey Kong
17. Young Link
18. Link
19. Roy
20. Zelda
21. Mewtwo
22. G&W
23. Ness
24. Bowser
25. Pichu
26. Kirby

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
I've played melee competitively for 7 years. I've hosted/ helped to run over 20 tournaments in northern california, and I've entered around 50 tournaments (including a few nationals and regionals). I certainly don't consider myself to be a good player though. I've only placed 3rd at two locals, and I've gotten top 2 in doubles at several other local tournaments with around 20 attendees. Despite having no particularly impressive victories, I've been around for a pretty long time and know a lot about character matchups, character potential, and the skill level of the top players who best represent each of the characters on the roster.

The Tier List at a Glance

1. Fox
2. Falco
3. Sheik
4. Marth
5. Puff
6. Falcon
7. Peach
8. ICs
9. Doc
10. Ganon
11. Samus
12. Luigi
13. Pikachu
14. Mario
15. YL
16. Link
17. DK
18. Zelda
19. Yoshi
20. G&W
21. Mewtwo
22. Ness
23. Roy
24. Bowser
25. Kirby
26. Pichu

Explanations

1. Fox
2. Falco
3. Sheik
4. Marth

Fox and Falco are pretty much tied for the top spot IMO. Fox has better recovery options, can run away and laser spam, can shine gimp, and can do more off of throws. Falco can lock down opponents with lasers, has better combo potential, has an amazing dair, and can move vertically through the air with extreme speed which gives him several options. There's a lot of stuff to compare between these two I'm not gonna go into extreme detail on anything, but I feel like they both have the best matchups against other characters overall with fox beating falco by only a VERY slim margin.
Sheik and Marth both have crazy combo potential, can gimp opponents in a variety of ways, have great options off of grabs, and are fast overall. Like falco however, sheik and marth don't have great recoveries. They're very close to being as good as the spacies, but not quite there.

5. Puff

Hbox and Mango have shown us what puff can do. I feel like some people over hype puff though. Rest is ridiculous, WoP is good, he can edgeguard really well, he's got a great recovery, etc. Puff is pretty slow though. I feel like the characters ranked 1-4 can out-space puff and just get in random hits until they're ready to go for a kill. Playing against puff takes a lot of patience that I don't think most players have. I'm not saying that jiggs isn't good because he/she/it most certainly is. I just don't consider jiggs to be in the top 4 like many others do nowadays. With the exception of hbox, I can't envision any other jigglypuff getting top 8 at a regional. Hbox is only able to do it because he has nearly mastered the character after using it almost exclusively for many years.

6. Falcon

He's super fast and combos like a champ. Unfortunately though, he also gets comboed by a lot of the cast and you can edgeguard him pretty easily. I feel like falcon has a good advantage against all of the characters below him on my version of the tier list, except for possibly peach. I still think that a patient falcon will beat peach however by dashing in and out of her range and punishing hard off of the hits he gets in. He does well against the characters above him as well, except for sheik which can kind of shut him down.

7. Peach

This character can do some serious damage, but I feel like Armada's success with Peach was based more on his overall skill than what options Peach has available. Peach can edgeguard really well, CC dsmash is always a pain to deal with, and she finds ways to get back to the stage with her floaty recovery options. Armada pushed her to the limit though. He was extremely precise and chose every action based on tons of experience. I think that his overall level of skill was what made his peach so amazing, and that his other characters would be just as amazing if he had instead dedicated his time to them. The reason that I don't place peach any higher on the tier list is because she is very slow and doesn't have great range. Her turnips help her out with this a lot, but she still seems like she's at the mercy of her faster opponents.

8. ICs

ICs are a difficult character to use. If they get separated and nana is killed it makes it very hard for popo to do anything. When they're together though, ICs have lots of chaingrab/handoff/wobbling type stuff that they can do and it makes them a force to be reckoned with. There are several ICs players who place well at large tournaments all over the U.S.

Numbers 9-13 are all pretty even. You'll see them do well at tournaments every now and then, but it's generally just a few specific players who will get those high placements.

9. Doc - cape gimps, can combo, pills allow for pretty safe recovery and approach options, bad upB
10. Ganon - hits hard, uair edgeguards, fast jab, easily edgeguarded
11. Samus - CCs like a mofo, 2 good projectiles, upBs out of bad situations, slow grab,
12. Luigi - slippery as hell, throws out aerials like crazy, bad recovery, bad range
13. Pikachu - Long distance recovery lets you go for offstage gimps, powerful usmash, aerials are lacking

Characters below this point aren't gonna do much at a tournament, but I ranked them none-the-less.

14. Mario - slightly worse version of doc
15. YL - projectile spam and quick aerials make him decent. Can't kill well though
16. Link - Pretty balanced character. Decent at everything, but not great
17. DK - uthrow to uair combos on fast fallers, punches stuff, no vertical recovery, slow movement speed
18. Zelda - kicks things HARD, has a fast dsmash, really slow, bad grab, can't combo
19. Yoshi - Very technical character who has potential. Gets gimped easily though
20. G&W - No horizontal recovery really. Has some weird combo stuff
21. Mewtwo - Can combo spacies, very fast upB, weird movement and many bad attacks sadly
22. Ness - Terrible recovery, but if you're technical enough he can do a few things
23. Roy - Not terrible against fox IMO. Really bad against most other characters
24. Bowser - Pretty good on really small stages. Bad on large stages
25. Kirby - Is okay against a few characters just because he can crouch, but overall really bad
26. Pichu - Only good if items are on (and your opponent unplugs his controller)

thespymachine

Smash Ace
I have no notable tournament experience/results - I suck. I just like arguing (in the philosophical sense of the term).

Falco
Fox
Jigglypuff
Sheik
Marth
Peach
Captain Falcon
Ice Climbers
Doctor Mario
Pikachu
Samus
Ganondorf
Mario
Luigi
Link
Young Link
DK
Yoshi
Roy
Mewtwo
Zelda
Game & Watch
Ness
Bowser
Pichu
Kirby

My changed tier-list, for my own records (6/25/13):

Falco
Fox
Jigglypuff
Sheik

Marth
Peach
Captain Falcon

Ice Climbers
Dr. Mario

Pikachu
Samus
Mario
Ganondorf
Luigi

Link
Young Link
Donkey Kong
Yoshi

Mewtwo
Roy
Zelda
Mr. Game & Watch
Bowser
Ness
Pichu
Kirby

MountainGoat

Smash Journeyman
For someone who likes arguing you don't post much of an argument. Just a list without any supporting arguments.

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
I feel like this thread has gone:
Good players posting tier lists -> Players who openly admit to being bad posting tier lists (me included) -> Discussion of why Roy sucks -> Sadness due to the lack of response from top-level players (Work in progress).

I suggest we kidnap all of the top-level players, tie them to a chair, hit them until they give us their opinion, and then ask them why they placed Roy where they did.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Oh I forgot to mention.

Roy loses to kirby. And I'm dead serious about this
I will second this because It's true. RoySoBad.

But I still hesitate to put him in the bottomest of tiers, just because of his "Better than Kirby/Pichu/Ness/Bowser match up with Fast Fallers" But I would never put him in low tier cus like. ****. It's Roy.

Rykard

Smash Ace
Hey everyone I'm Rykard and here are my credentials:

I've been playing melee competitively since 2006 (I switched accounts which is why my join date says otherwise). I have won a local tournament, placed well in a couple upstate NY tournaments, and also do reasonably well at No Johns when I actually go. I've also attended a few smash sessions at PC Chris's place where I've had the chance to get a bunch of practice with him, OTG, PC Kip, Alukard, G$, and a few others. I also got 4th in my pool at Apex losing to Vist and Irish Mafia, both of which were incredibly close matches I felt I could have won. As for people to contact, two of the best friends I've made through this game (and my two biggest training partners in my career) are T. Webb and Nintendude. I've also had extensive experience against them playing a ton of different characters, so I am a pretty good judge of their strengths and weaknesses in competitive play.

That being said, here is my list and I would be happy to explain the placement to anyone who asks.

Top Tier:
Falco
Sheik
Fox
Jigglypuff

High Tier:
Marth
Peach
Falcon
Ice Climbers

Upper-Mid Tier:
Ganondorf
Samus
Doctor Mario
Pikachu

Mid Tier:
Luigi
Mario
Link
Donkey Kong
Young Link

Lower-Mid Tier:
Yoshi
Mewtwo
Mr. Game & Watch
Zelda

Low Tier:
Roy
Bowser
Ness
Pichu
Kirby

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
People still talk about Aniki?

Btw, I actually posted a tier list if anyone cares. Look at the master list and click my name to see it.

MountainGoat

Smash Journeyman
Ado and Sveet I liked your tier lists. Nice job on explaining a lot Ado. I didn't like your Mewtwo and Kirby placement though.

Tylerflipz

Smash Rookie
I could list my bias opinion, but the way I figured the tier list for myself is I let every character play each other once, all level 9's, no items, Final Destination stage so no natural occurances bend the chances for any character, a single life, live or die. If I remember correctly, the characters kind of descended like this:
1. Ganondorf
2. Peach
3. Luigi
4. Fox
5. Samus
6. Mario
7. Falco
8. Young Link
9. Pikachu
10. Yoshi
11. Ness
12. Link
13. Shiek
14. Ice Climbers
15. Zelda
16. Mr. Game and Watch
17. Marth
18. Roy
19. Donkey Kong
20. Captain Falcon
21. Dr. Mario
22. Bowser (Koopa)
23. Kirby
24. Mewtwo
25. Pichu
26. Jigglypuff (Purin) -This list is a little relative, but statistically correct.
Here's My Bias List Compared To Statistically Tested List:
1. Ganondorf (+-0)
2. Mario (+4)
3. Luigi (+-0)
4. Link (+8)
5. Mr. Game and Watch (+11)
6. Fox (-2)
7. Captain Falcon (+13)
8. Marth (+9)
9. Falco (-2)
10. Dr. Mario (+11)
11. Donkey Kong (+8)
12. Ness (-1)
13. Samus (-8)
14. Roy (+4)
15. Bowser (+7)
16. Yoshi (-6)
17. Peach (-15)
18. Young Link (-10)
19. Kirby (+4)
20. Pikachu (-11)
21. Ice Climbers ( -7)
22. Shiek (-9)
23. Jigglypuff (+3)
24. Mewtwo (+-0)
25. Pichu (+-0)
26. Zelda (-11)
As you can see, my personal tier list is much different from the statistically designed one. There are many big jumps, and descends. Notable ones being Peach dropping 15, Captain Falcon being raised 13, Pikachu and Zelda dropped 11, Dr. Mario and Mr. Game and Watch being raised 11, etc.

*I think Captain Falcon's falling rate can be a big burden when trying to get back to a platform when kicked off, I do not have trouble with that, I've learned to use him considering his fast rate of movement, so not a big deal to me raising his tier spot for me personally.
*Peach is way overrated in my opinion, she has a few good moves but nothing real special, when she's fallen from the board in my opinion recovery is difficult, dropping her in my tier list.
*Mr. Game and Watch is looked down upon for his low stamina, he falls from the stage quicker than most characters, well for me if you learn to use him correctly, you can kill off your opposer before they have a chance to lower your hp. He has good moves, he's not supper slow, he falls rather slowly giving plenty of time for a good counter move, I don't personally see why the game has underrated him so.
I have many more reasons for each characters drop, any character that wasn't displaced at least 5 tier spots was probably moved without the intent of being moved, just some characters must be moved or replaced by others, not because I think badly of them, but because I think highly of other characters in the game.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
Ado and Sveet I liked your tier lists. Nice job on explaining a lot Ado. I didn't like your Mewtwo and Kirby placement though.
just messed with my low tier placement some more, check it out. I don't have super strong opinions except for here and there once you get below G&W on my list

Wow...I've been holding my tongue up to this point

FDGOD>You

Smash Rookie
1. Falco
2. Sheik
3. Fox
4. Marth
5. Peach
6. Jiggs
7. Falcon
8. Climbers
9. Dr. Mario
10. Pikachu
11. Ganon
12. Samus
13. Mario.
14. Luigi
15. Young Link
16. Link
17. DK
18. Roy
19. Ness
20. Yoshi
21. G&W
22. Zelda
23. Bowser
24. Mewtwo
25. Kirby
26. Pichu

MountainGoat

Smash Journeyman
the way I figured the tier list for myself is I let every character play each other once, all level 9's, no items, Final Destination stage so no natural occurances bend the chances for any character, a single life, live or die.
Please be trolling

@Ado: Ordering the low tiers is kind of a crapshoot anyway

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
Recent tournament placings:
Apex 2013: 25th
SMYM 12: 2nd
Big House 2: 9th
FC Legacy: 13th
1st-3rd at numerous Midwest locals

1. Falco
2. Fox
3. Peach
4. Puff
5. Sheik
6. Marth
7. Ice Climbers
8. Falcon
9. Doctor Mario
10. Pikachu
11. Gannon
12. Samus
13. Luigi
14. Mario
15. Zelda
16. Young Link
17. Link
18. Yoshi
19. Game & Watch
20. DK
21. Bowser
22. Kirby
23. Roy
24. Ness
25. Mew two
26. Pitchy (this character ****ing blows)

Reasoning:
Falco is a system character, if he follows his formula of laser zoning and shield pressure there is a very small margin of risk. Like fox he has a limitless tech ceiling,however his risk/reward isn't as high as Mr. McCloud's. ****ing Lombardi

Fox high limitless potential, however to play him at the top level comes with a high risk factor. Everyone who plays this game at a high level knows how to space,combo, and edge guard fox, however, he doesn't have the stage control tools that Falco has (lasers). This allows other characters to adopt a counterfighting strategy against fox that can be hard to deal with unless your own spacing and reads are spot on.

The best player in the world plays peach for a reason, she's really damn good. When played at a high level, few characters can deal with her defensive techniques and the amazing priority on her moves that can be fully utilized via float canceling. The top 3 in the cast are seperated by the smallest of margins, peach struggles with mobility in certain instances, this can cost lesser skilled peach players in high level play.

Puff has low risk for the reward she has. The character takes little time to master technically, however she requires great patience and spacing to play at a top level. Few players have the necessary mental attributes to be a great puff player. She is kinda boring lol....

Hmmm what else....

I put the ice climbers above falcon because of their high technical ceiling and their grab combos' ability to change the outlook of a game from a single grab (much like a jiggs rest). I feel that of all the characters outside of the top tier, the climbers have the most potential to attain top tier status as this game continues to evolve. They are just an amazing character with or without chain grabs. They hit harder than gannon (when together), but they are extremely fast and have the best wavedash in the game (not as long as luigi's, but they have much more precise control over it).

Doc and pika have shown good potential and are fully capable of moving up further in the tier list. Often it takes multiple innovative players to truely begin to unlock the potential of a character.

Gannon is solid, when in the right hands he is hands down one of the most impressive characters to watch. His reliance on perfect spacing and HARD reads make a good Gabon player a pleasure to watch on any given occasion. I'd watch Gannon 0 to death combo a space on my ****ing honeymoon if such an instance were to eer occur.

Bowser is solid, anyone below him is pretty bad, Kirby is ok in teams.

Alas, this has been a rare productive post from your ***** Trail, good day.

I've been a top-level player out of the Midwest since 2004. Some notable tournament victories include: Darkrain, Kels, Tink, Drephen, Dope, Forward, Jiano, Darkatma, Lovage, Vidjo, Tope, Nintendude, Scar, Nite, Stabbed, MattDotZeb, Dart, IHateSpaceBalls, G$, Iori, Little England, etc.....

I made this post from my iPad at work so **** any grammar mistakes u ****ing ******

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Gannon is solid, when in the right hands he is hands down one of the most impressive characters to watch. His reliance on perfect spacing and HARD reads make a good Gabon player a pleasure to watch on any given occasion. I'd watch Gannon 0 to death combo a space on my ****ing honeymoon if such an instance were to eer occur.
You must really love Ganon if you want to watch him twice when you can only once. Rofl.

Gabon.. lol, you miss survivor that much?

Top Bottom