• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee: The Mechanics Behind Advanced Platform Tech By schmoo

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
There are many maneuvers, techs, combos many players use every day and take for granted, yet have no idea the actual "science" behind how it works. By digging into the depths of a game's mechanics new tech can be discovered alongside new tools that could possibly swing matchups or just an individual match.

Youtube schmoo has done just that in Melee, exploring the in depth mechanics behind platforms and advanced techs regarding them. Give this a watch to get some in depth education on Melee's mechanics and possibly learn something new to up your game. If the video is confusing reference links and more explanations are available in the video's description on Youtube.

SmashCapps found this video incredibly fascinating and wishes he could see more just like it. To share other awesome videos and to keep up with what he's doing, go follow him on Twitter.

ggamer77

Smash Cadet
NNID
ggamer77
So that's what that diamond is..
Very interesting.

Kasran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kasran
As a game developer who wants to make a Smash-like fighting game, this is a great help and an inspiration. Thanks for making me aware of this. :D

EpicFlyingTaco

Smash Cadet
I think my brain just melted out of my ears...

In all serious though, sincere props to schmoo. It must have taken a lot of time and effort to figure all this out.

bugmac101

Smash Rookie
NNID
bugmac101
I dont play SSBM, but this is some complicated stuff. Who would think of doing this in the first place before they knew it would work?

Fly Sloth

Smash Rookie
This is honestly so interesting to me and as a Falco main, the platform drop B.Air might come in handy :]

HoodsxX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NanhouDrops
3DS FC
3067-5933-7964
It'd be cool if this applied to Smash 4 as well. But nice stuff, glad I watched this. ^^

BRUJO~

Smash Apprentice
That is very interesting, and well explained by schmoo

HoodsxX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NanhouDrops
3DS FC
3067-5933-7964
14 year old game, and there is new tech still continuing to be discovered!
It's not that it's new. It's more just explaining how to do this sort of tech. Most high level players (Moon, Hax, Axe etc) know of this, and of-course the top level players all use this. It's more just a breakdown of how to do it, so people understand how it works, why it works, and how they can apply it.

C_Mill24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C-Mill24
3DS FC
3609-1632-1621
It's not that it's new. It's more just explaining how to do this sort of tech. Most high level players (Moon, Hax, Axe etc) know of this, and of-course the top level players all use this. It's more just a breakdown of how to do it, so people understand how it works, why it works, and how they can apply it.
Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
The last 2 platform warp sections are weeks old. There are still many platform warps to be found and documented. It's what made me want to do the video, as when I showed it off, no-one knew wtf they were looking at.

Last edited:

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
Let's be honest here, m2k probably figured this out way back in 08 or 07. No offense, though, thank you for posting this and helping us learn as always, SmashCapps
I dno... I've never seen m2k lab using debug menu let alone magus' debug tool that was only released a few months ago. He may of indeed observed the tech and maybe even found the setups, but to actually see and understand what the collision box is doing, doubtful. He was known as the basement dweller in like 03 where debug menu wasn't even a thing.

If he has labbed in debug, he sure has been quiet about it.

NNID
MasterIcarus7
I dno... I've never seen m2k lab using debug menu let alone magus' debug tool that was only released a few months ago. He may of indeed observed the tech and maybe even found the setups, but to actually see and understand what the collision box is doing, doubtful. He was known as the basement dweller in like 03 where debug menu wasn't even a thing.

If he has labbed in debug, he sure has been quiet about it.
I would assumed he has used the new debug tool. I mean, you don't just quit after this: http://clashtournaments.com/mew2kings-melee-information-and-discoveries/
Edit: Didn't realize, are you the one who made this video?

Last edited:

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
I feel like people are hiring people with British accents to narrate their videos.

Kasran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kasran
With no volume, yes. Broken speakers and on desktop. No laptop
Basically: the orange diamond is the shape that's used to determine whether the character is colliding with the wall, floor, or another character; it's called the Environmental Collision Box. What it's not used for is determining whether a move hits; that's what the hurtbox is for, of course. :>

There's a darker orange diamond a bit behind it that shows what the ECB looked like on the previous frame. That's how the game figures out whether you've landed on a platform: if the ECB was above the platform on the last frame and is partially below it on the current one, the character has landed. The video talks about ways the ECB patterns of certain moves and movement options can be used to do things like reduce landing lag or cancel aerials upon landing. (Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Last edited:

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
This is beautiful. A clear description of information pertinent to the community using a great tool for Melee research. 11/10, would watch again.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
@ schmooblidon schmooblidon any idea on whether there are trends in differences for PM? I already know that PM has positional differences for the first airborne frame (closer to the ground than Melee) and first frame on which actions affect airborne momentum (characters momentum is affected frame jump/dodge/attack inputs), but...it'd be neat if some of those just happened to translate somewhat cleanly, and not just end up as huge mess of differences for platform tech between Melee --> PM versions between characters...

EDIT: Have specials or air-dodges been tested for convenient platform tech? Or have they already been exhausted without findings aha

Last edited:

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
@ schmooblidon schmooblidon any idea on whether there are trends in differences for PM? I already know that PM has positional differences for the first airborne frame (closer to the ground than Melee) and first frame on which actions affect airborne momentum (characters momentum is affected frame jump/dodge/attack inputs), but...it'd be neat if some of those just happened to translate somewhat cleanly, and not just end up as huge mess of differences for platform tech between Melee --> PM versions between characters...

EDIT: Have specials or air-dodges been tested for convenient platform tech? Or have they already been exhausted without findings aha
I'm a little rusty on the differences, but IIRC it's mostly to do with the order in which calculations are done within each frame. I know AIs are possible, as I found a few a while back. I'm pretty certain it also has the ECB lock, but not sure if it is the same on doublejumps or counts through hitlag. It'll be pretty easy to test it out, so I'll do that tonight and tomorrow, and post my findings on like /r/ssbpm, i can link it to u if u want?

Airdodges generally have a low ECB on frame 1, or at least at some point in the first few frames, making perfect wavelands possible. Shine from a fullhop can be useful for shine grabs, as you shine on like the 6th or something airborne frame, then the ECB update so it's just above a platform, and u fall onto it, from there you can jc into grab. But it's also something to avoid when trying to combo. You can also platform cancel shine, because it makes you fall so slow, so shielddrop shine is pretty good with that. I can't remember other useful stuff, but I'm sure there are some that work like AIs (but without cancelling landing lag), and ones that change velocity work like the shine. Might look more into specials soon.

Last edited:

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
That'd be sick, I'd definitely appreciate it! I didn't actually expect you to offer to test them at all, much less asap, so there's really no rush! I was just wondering if you happened to know off the top of your head aha

If it's any help, I drew the little bit of info I mentioned from here. I'll summarize it to save you some time; there are three major differences between Melee/PM airgame:
  1. In Melee, aerial IASA can't cancel into specials and airdodges (not sure how applicable this is for plats). Likewise, grounded IASA can't cancel into specials or buffered shield. Both of these can be worked around at the cost of a few frames, also linked below.
    ( Melee / Melee double jump work-around / PM )

2. "Jump Gravity Quirk" -- in Melee, your initial jump momentum is affected by aerials on the first few frames, reducing your peak height and giving less overall airtime than empty short/full hops, or later aerials.
    ( Melee / Melee example 2 / PM )

3. "Physics Delay" -- in PM, airborne momentum is affected 2 frames after any input, as opposed to the 1st frame after Melee inputs. This affects the first airborne frame ECB, frame-perfect wavedashe timing, and the number of actions possible in a single short hop. He gives some Marth examples, linked below.
    ( Melee / Melee SH limitations / the PM thing-thing )
So...yeah, I think I got 2 and 3 reversed in my first post here. I'd double-check, but I got class. Thanks again!
EDIT: one of my links was wrong, now fixed (the bolded one)

Last edited:

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
That'd be sick, I'd definitely appreciate it! I didn't actually expect you to offer to test them at all, much less asap, so there's really no rush! I was just wondering if you happened to know off the top of your head aha

If it's any help, I drew the little bit of info I mentioned from here. I'll summarize it to save you some time; there are three major differences between Melee/PM airgame:
  1. In Melee, aerial IASA can't cancel into specials and airdodges (not sure how applicable this is for plats). Likewise, grounded IASA can't cancel into specials or buffered shield. Both of these can be worked around at the cost of a few frames, also linked below.
    ( Melee / Melee double jump work-around / PM )

2. "Jump Gravity Quirk" -- in Melee, your initial jump momentum is affected by aerials on the first few frames, reducing your peak height and giving less overall airtime than empty short/full hops, or later aerials.
    ( Melee / Melee example 2 / PM )

3. "Physics Delay" -- in PM, airborne momentum is affected 2 frames after any input, as opposed to the 1st frame after Melee inputs. This affects the first airborne frame ECB, frame-perfect wavedashe timing, and the number of actions possible in a single short hop. He gives some Marth examples, linked below.
    ( Melee / Melee SH limitations / the PM thing-thing )
So...yeah, I think I got 2 and 3 reversed in my first post here. I'd double-check, but I got class. Thanks again!
EDIT: one of my links was wrong, now fixed (the bolded one)
Thanks for the links dude, these are really helpful. I don't think my findings are really thread worthy :/ NIL, standard AIs, rising AIs, AIAs all work identically.

Because the ECB on the first frame of a new action state repeats the ECB on the previous frame, instant AIs happen on the 2nd aerial frame. The ECB lock happens for 10 airborne frame instead of melee's 9, but this is because on the first frame even tho you are technically airborne, your ECB is where it was the frame before. So platform cancels are still a thing, and are pretty much identical.

There is no ECB lock on doublejump :( meaning no platform warps.

I remember taking a mental note a long while ago that there was some kind of ecb manipulation, but I didn't manage to find anything this time. I'll keep testing PM for new stuff every now and then, I'm sure there are tonnes of stuff still undiscovered.

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
This reminds me of how in sm4sh, Peach's bair lets her land on the ledge even when she's clearly offstage. Must move her ECB

Top Bottom