• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Tether Mechanics

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
I know this has been brought up since PM first started but I just want to bring it up in case it was forgotten. Know I know it's something that hasn't been accomplished yet. I'm just wondering if it's still a priority because I honestly don't like PM's current tether mechanics, I've just gotten used to them. Are you guys still working on that or did you give up? And don't say it's impossible because the clone engine definitely was in that category and you guys somehow managed to pull of that amazing feat. So is it still happening or is it pretty much dead and gone at this point. I really hope this doesn't come off as disrespectful since I really am concerned about this.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
how different are melee's tethers again?
IIRC the difference is how they are used. In melee the tethers grab the walls, which you will then get to use a wall jump. They also put you in a helpless state if you miss. In brawl they can only be used to aim for ledges to grab on to, but no helpless state depending on your tether type. I haven't played melee in a while so this is like. . . Forever-ago memory I'm using. ._.

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
I kinda hope they don't bring back Melee tethers. At this point everything balanced around Brawl-style tethers, and to change that would mean complete rebalancing of certain characters' recoveries. Melee tethers were neat, but they don't work on all stages, and with PM having more usable stages that have tiny lips that would be difficult to Melee-tether onto...

Plus there's the question of who it is given to. Obviously Link, TLink, and Samus could be switched over, but what about the Brawl characters that have tethers? Does Lucas get switched over to Melee-style tethers? What about characters that use a tether as their main recovery, like Olimar or Ivysaur? It just makes more sense and is a lot easier in every way to keep it as it is now. Not everything about PM has to emulate Melee, after all.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
If they ever do bring back Melee tethers, then I do want to see Link get his Melee tether length as his length is pretty underwhelming.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
Plus there's the question of who it is given to
honestly, if they can make melee tethers work again, i'd assume the rules would be: if your tether is your actual recovery move (up/sideb) it works like brawl. if it's a z-tether, you get melee.

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
I'd agree, but keep Brawl tethers for Lucas as well. Being forced to recover with PKT2 close to the ledge or just generally in more situations would most likely be gimpable to the point of being a balance-changing nerf.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
Y'know . . . I'm not sure what to think of Project M tethers. I like how they can prevent edge-hogging and not being the easiest thing in the world to do so it requires some skill - but I hate how you can be off by a fraction and could've just as easily gotten up the stage by tethering the wall . . .
It's whatever though.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
I kinda hope they don't bring back Melee tethers. At this point everything balanced around Brawl-style tethers, and to change that would mean complete rebalancing of certain characters' recoveries. Melee tethers were neat, but they don't work on all stages, and with PM having more usable stages that have tiny lips that would be difficult to Melee-tether onto...

Plus there's the question of who it is given to. Obviously Link, TLink, and Samus could be switched over, but what about the Brawl characters that have tethers? Does Lucas get switched over to Melee-style tethers? What about characters that use a tether as their main recovery, like Olimar or Ivysaur? It just makes more sense and is a lot easier in every way to keep it as it is now. Not everything about PM has to emulate Melee, after all.
I mainly want it for characters like Samus, Link, and other characters who have a tether as a secondary option for recovery. If the tether recovery is a characters primary recovery then it shouldn't be changed. I would like a mix. But it'll probably be forgotten forever :/

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox

This, this, and this. In a game that emulates Melee, it's OKAY to make/leave a few changes and updates.

Top Bottom