• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Stats

Acryte

Smash Ace
For Melee's growth as an e-sport, something that is useful but arduous to maintain and aggregate is statistics. Tafostats are very interesting, and the booth they had a couple tourneys ago was phenomenal.

We can obtain these statistics from the game by communicating it via wifi and then automatically assimilating it into a database, which can be filtered for content. Something like this would be amazing to push the analysis side of things. I believe there are many useful statistics that can be analyzed.

Stats that could be easily obtained and populated in the database:
-The name of each Player.
-The character used by each player.
-The stage being played on.
-Recorded Win for one Player, Loss for the other.
-APM of each player.
-Total % of time in air vs % of time on ground.
-Total match Length.
-Offensive and Defensive efficiency ratings
based off average death % per stock (defense) and average KO % per stock (offense).
-Total Grab # and accuracy %.
-Total Grab breaks #.
-KO and KOed by move info.
Each type of attack (dtilt, fair, uthrow) is assigned a reference #. A KO moves’ # is recorded.
-Total Invincibility/Invulnerability frames when not waiting in spawn platform.
-Total Powershielded attacks.
-Total Powershielded projectiles.
-Total Projectile # and accuracy %
-Action Frequency. Can log the numbers for how often various things like Rolls, Get-up-attacks, Fairs, etc are done in a match by said player. Use the reference #’s etc to keep tally.

Other information provided Automatically or provided by outside sources to the analysis program:
-Tourney Location/Region.
-Tourney Entrants.
-Date of Tourney (for use in filtering by Years).
-ELO for players prior to tourney results.

What would the end result be when using an Application to check people’s stats? What does it need to accomplish or allow for?

1) Check stats according to criteria.
2) Compare 2 Players according to criteria.
3) Rank Players according to criteria.
4) Tourney history according to criteria.

Most criteria you select are optional and will further filter the results. If you leave something out, the result will be broader. What are some basic examples of what could be accomplished based off this structure?

Lighter characters may have a poorer Defensive efficiency rating, but puffs in particular could be compared for example. Let’s say you want to compare 2 players Hbox and Soft under certain criteria. You Select compare, then for criteria you happen to select both players, timeframe of 2014-2015, Jigglypuff as their character, Fox and Marth as their opponent, dreamland as the stage. It will list their stats, filtering the data according to each additional criteria selected.

If we wanted to look at how all Jigglypuffs ranked, we could just choose Rankings. Then select Jigglypuff as the character and that we want to rank them by Defensive Efficiency. Alternatively, we could have the program list all the stats for Jiggs, and then have each stat column it lists be clickable where clicking it rejigs the table according to the selected stat.

You could have it list the Matchup history of 2 specific players, or of 1 player vs Falco for example. It could list it chronologically. It could lump by tournament, or by set. Concerning the history of 2 players, you could view the tournament history involving sets, and stage/character CPs and the win/loss rate for each, etc. It could even list a player's tourney results history.

You see the % of the time Mango loses to Fox on FD.

You could see how often PPMD gets grabs with marth, or if he takes to the air more vs certain opponents or characters than others. You could compare a player’s stats against a specific player, vs their stats against all other players (from specific regions etc.).

Registration info could provide regional location info if we wanted to compare a player's success vs players from another region etc. Like Hax vs International Sheiks.

Truly, it would be a versatile and useful analysis tool where a stats analyst could provide information to commentators that could be passed over stream. Players could do their homework and look for a player’s weaknesses, forcing them to improve in certain matchups or stages, etc. For example, we could check and see if Hungrybox rests Zhu significantly more often than other players.

It sounds great and all, but how would we even go about tackling a monster like this? How should it function and what are some of the necessary features that could streamline the experience for both tourney-goers and TOs?

-Player registers for tournament with his PlayerID or an official Gamertag associated with his PlayerID.
-The players' names are used to populate statistics for those players.
-The player's tag can be selected on the CSS but can then be toggled on/off from the CSS so that tagless players can have stat collection too.
-A fixed-size non-scrolling and revamped results box for each player could be used on the results screen. Alongside passing the info, it can be seen visually on any recorded streams making video analysis of a match simpler (you don't need to use the client). If someone is watching a set wants to pause and take a quick look at some of the statistics, they will be able to do so.

20XX or 20XX TE would output relevant tourney info on the results screen and the statistics information could be communicated via GCN modem or Wii wifi, allowing for documentation of match statistics even for non-streamed sources. It could connect with a local server running the analysis program to do work client-side. The Analysis program can interface and pass information to the tournament organizing software and the TO’s software could communicate with the Analysis program letting it know to send control signals to the GCN/Wii assigning TAGS for the next players at the station and force quitting to the CSS if friendlies are being played. In addition, the tags should be the 1st two on the list so they don’t have to scroll forever if they switch ports.

The analysis program can timestamp the match info it logs and then roughly sync up with the TO software to ‘understand’ which matches correspond to which sets so that the database is accurately maintained. This would allow the TO software to get and update match results automatically. After all tourney information has been compiled by the client-side program, it can be submitted to the main server to have the master database updated. After that, the client-side one can just ‘update’ their own databases to match the master, OR can simply make a request to the main server to provide whatever statistics information you are querying.

If L+R+A+Start is pressed by both players synchronously, either mid-match or on the results screen, the match is not counted. This can be used for handwarmers, or if a match had to be replayed for some reason etc. If from the results screen ‘start’ is pressed by both players, it will communicate the result to the analysis program/TO software.

From the CSS it should be extremely obvious (visually apparent) when a station is in friendlies mode or when it switches to Tourney Mode. Such as how the colors change (Blue/Orange) when using Custom Moves in Smash4. The analysis program can control whether a setup is in Friendly mode or not. When a set ends, if another set isn’t immediately scheduled via the tournament software, or there is scheduled downtime, it can temporarily switch the station to friendly mode and people may play on it for the duration.

Lastly, if we have a client-side application that can query specific information, it’s possible that we could have it feed into our stream displays.

All-in-all... I think that aquiring all the stats and sending them across a network is quite feasible. The biggest challenge would be effectively designing the Analysis program (just because it has to be built from scratch) and making it interface with TO software (because that is a joint venture).

Last edited:

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Wow, you've written down everything that was in my head about this subject. It's a dream of mine to run a venue that would support statistical analysis across Melee, or other various games. Just imagine having an entire venue with every single GC/Wii hooked up to a local network, streaming live replays to a local server and then either having it recorded locally and giving players the option to save it to their memory card, uploaded to youtube/twitch, or a raw video file. It's like laser tag but waaaaay more in-depth. Not only would this improve player performance but it'd be quite a profitable business.

About actually doing this though? It's going to require a LOT of work. Memory card hacking could one day lead to running code that allows the recording of all of this data over a Gamecube Broadband Modem Adapter or Wii's Wifi/USB. The modem adapters run for about $50~$200 online, but making new ones from scratch could prove to be very cheap.

Thanks for making this thread, these ideas have been circulating in my head for a while now but I've never written them down like you have. <3

CeLL

Smash Lord
I think it's a huge project that would be really difficult to pull off but would be amazing if someone could. And like Terry said it would be awesome if they also streamed the inputs so that the matches could be replayed later with a code like 20XXTE's replay code, uploaded to YouTube in 1080p and made available to download and run yourself. You could also stream in 1080p like that.

Acryte

Smash Ace
@ CeLL CeLL Dan Salvato already has input capture for match recording in 20XX TE so I'm sure that would also be entirely possible.

@ TerryJ TerryJ Yea I lean toward the Wii wifi since the modems are harder to get your hands on. I know that they had GCN communication in melee years upon years ago to where you could play desync heavy multiplayer matches from console. I'm certain we can at least communicate the statistics. Then the major tasking is to develop the software that builds and updates the database, as well as possible plugin support for TO sofware.

NNID
dansalvato
I don't believe in the feasibility of this. It would require the collaboration of very skilled Melee hackers and very skilled Wii homebrew developers, with huge amounts of effort between each of them. On top of that, the only possible way to run the software would be via Nintendont, which means TOs would have to outfit all of their setups with it as well as connect them to wi-fi. That doesn't even take into account the database creation and probably some sort of UI that can be used to manage consoles, manually input info, and display info to users on a Web interface.

In short, the scale of a project like this is far beyond what anyone is individually or collaboratively capable of doing without being hired full-time to do it, and the hurdles presented to TOs would limit its usage for it all to be not worth the effort in the end.

It's a bit more realistic to do something like this from the Dolphin/netplay standpoint, the basic stages of which are already somewhat being considered.

Last edited:

Ampers

Smash Journeyman
The main thought that I had: How many people would take advantage of this? How many TA's would really want to pay for the this extra equipment (new modem or wii's instead of cubes, memory cards, etc...), and also juggle this extra step on top of what they are already doing to get the event running? This then leads to the issue of having incomplete data online, where some events just wouldn't have been monitored, which I feel like kind of defeats the purpose of this whole project.

I do really like the idea of this project though... if we lived in a perfect world haha. I'm being critical not because I think it's a bad idea, but because it just really does not seem feasible to me. But hey, that's just my two cents.

Top Bottom