• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee SFX Update (05/07/17): Brawl Link? Melee Link?!! Alt Link Modz!

What should I do with Melee Announcer voice?

• Replace only the clips that play during matches

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Replace only the characters' Announcer clips

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Replace everything that is able to be replaced

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Make all of these ^ options available

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • Dun kurr (Don't care lol)

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AozoraX

Smash Apprentice
I was wondering if anyone could PM me with a more idiot proof guide on how to get the SFX to work in hackless? Literally, step by step because I'm not 100% with all this stuff (though it makes more sense to people who customize more often)
Also I was wondering if someone could also give me the lowdown on being selective between SFX and Voices? IE: Maybe I want all Peach SFX but no changes to her voice.

Thanks in advance!!

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
dude why the **** haven't the PMBR drafted you and shun_one to work in the aesthetic department holy **** this is amazing
They're saving us for the final version... And then we'll give that last release the ultimate Wombo of deliciousness... It'll be 99.9999999999999999987% as epic as the 3.0 announcement. That is all a lie unfortunately... Although I hope it's not... Community should spam them with these mods in future updates... Or at least an optional download for it.

I was wondering if anyone could PM me with a more idiot proof guide on how to get the SFX to work in hackless? Literally, step by step because I'm not 100% with all this stuff (though it makes more sense to people who customize more often)
Also I was wondering if someone could also give me the lowdown on being selective between SFX and Voices? IE: Maybe I want all Peach SFX but no changes to her voice.

Thanks in advance!!
I can't really help you right now with the separate voices with SFX, but for the installing of these mods in general... Literally all you need to do is copy the 'projectm' folder from each download into the root of your SD Card. Unless you want the special Marth and/or Link .pac files.

Is there gonna be a version of the Link sound mod without the melee SFX out of curiosity?
I planned on trying to do it. It's gonna be quite a bit more difficult to pull off since vBrawl has so many extra stupid fluff sounds. Lol

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
They're saving us for the final version... And then we'll give that last release the ultimate Wombo of deliciousness... It'll be 99.9999999999999999987% as epic as the 3.0 announcement. That is all a lie unfortunately... Although I hope it's not... Community should spam them with these mods in future updates... Or at least an optional download for it.
I unfortunately don't think they're going to ever make Melee SFX official, even if everyone wants it, honestly. There are plenty of Brawl fans who are turned off by how "go Melee or go home" Project M appears to be who otherwise like the mod. Setting Melee and competitive play aside, Project M is a faster (and thus more fun), better balanced game with a bigger roster and more fan service than Brawl ever was. The biggest concern potential players have about M is that they like Brawl better than Melee so every change that moves it closer to Melee is a potential lost player which isn't good, no matter how casual said player may or may not be.

If the Link project gets finished smoothly I could see them implementing voice packs for anyone with Melee inspired alt costumes, but outside of that I wouldn't expect this to ever go official. That said, at some point I think it'd be pretty awesome if the PMBR made a stickied post that catalogs some of the better (as in top 1%) fan content and tutorials of frequently asked questions where it's easy to find. For every Brawl player who'd be put off by Melee sounds I'm sure there's also a Melee fan who likes how Project M plays but can't get past the terrible sound direction. If the PMBR had a thread that had this, stage/music hacking help, some of the best fan costume packs, etc. in the OP that they linked to with every new release they'd be able to pull in some of the more particular fans as well as reduce the number of posts in the help section.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
I unfortunately don't think they're going to ever make Melee SFX official, even if everyone wants it, honestly. There are plenty of Brawl fans who are turned off by how "go Melee or go home" Project M appears to be who otherwise like the mod. Setting Melee and competitive play aside, Project M is a faster (and thus more fun), better balanced game with a bigger roster and more fan service than Brawl ever was. The biggest concern potential players have about M is that they like Brawl better than Melee so every change that moves it closer to Melee is a potential lost player which isn't good, no matter how casual said player may or may not be.

If the Link project gets finished smoothly I could see them implementing voice packs for anyone with Melee inspired alt costumes, but outside of that I wouldn't expect this to ever go official. That said, at some point I think it'd be pretty awesome if the PMBR made a stickied post that catalogs some of the better (as in top 1%) fan content and tutorials of frequently asked questions where it's easy to find. For every Brawl player who'd be put off by Melee sounds I'm sure there's also a Melee fan who likes how Project M plays but can't get past the terrible sound direction. If the PMBR had a thread that had this, stage/music hacking help, some of the best fan costume packs, etc. in the OP that they linked to with every new release they'd be able to pull in some of the more particular fans as well as reduce the number of posts in the help section.
Oh don't get me wrong. I am not expecting it to happen either. At all, especially after what IE told me. To me though it seems like this is something they would've started doing as an optional thing for all the Melee vets that P:M attracts... like... as SOON as the RSBE was finished. But since dey ain't doin it, and I had already been doin it... Wull... might as well go full ham with it.

And I definitely do agree... At LEAST This and SHOP (Shun's House of Pancakes) I would think should be stickied as high quality mods for P:M players to find and or indulge... or not indulge as they choose. We both have about as many (or more) views/replies as the two already stickied threads here. That should say something... haha

Kati

Smash Lord
Yeah quality mods like these need to get a stickied thread eventually. As good as they are though, I would not like melee sfx to be packaged with PM.

Rage83

Smash Ace
The Brawl announcer sounds like he's bored, imo. The Melee announcer simply seems a lot more energetic.

Kati

Smash Lord
But but the Melee Announcer :(
Don't get me wrong, the melee announcer is my favourite melee sfx hack amazerommu has provided. I wasn't even thinking about it on a my last post, but now that I do, I stand by what I said even more, as scrubs might perceive the melee announcer being scrunched in with the brawl announcer as tacky or unprofessional.

Again, personally, I think the melee announcer is great, and that hearing him and the brawl announcer take turns reciting names (try classic mode!) is hella awesome.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
You really need to be PMBR
I wish I was... Lives (including but not limited to mine) would be awesome. lol

Btw, @ Amazerommu Amazerommu , have you ever thought of sticking these(http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=33326&Vault=audio) into your Melee Announcer sawndz? These are at least on par with the Melee ones. I would stick them in myself, but I need someone to check if they're at the right sample rate. :p
Also, I was gonna attempt to do something like this for all the doods as well (after getting all the Melee characters done). There are a few doodz missing, probably cause can't find parts of the voice clips that'll work. But yeah those are definitely good quality. I will include these in the future! Haha

Last edited:

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Don't get me wrong, the melee announcer is my favourite melee sfx hack amazerommu has provided. I wasn't even thinking about it on a my last post, but now that I do, I stand by what I said even more, as scrubs might perceive the melee announcer being scrunched in with the brawl announcer as tacky or unprofessional.

Again, personally, I think the melee announcer is great, and that hearing him and the brawl announcer take turns reciting names (try classic mode!) is hella awesome.
Then it should be included in the PM package as an option. Like the files are there already like for example there's a Mario.pac and then there is a Melee Mario.pac

Kati

Smash Lord
Then it should be included in the PM package as an option. Like the files are there already like for example there's a Mario.pac and then there is a Melee Mario.pac
Considering how small the files are, this makes sense.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
My idea would be just to make it like a DLC thing. For those who don't like Brawl sounds... just download the Melee SFX Pack right there on their download page haha.

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
This seems to be the best thread associated with my topic, so I'll just post it here.
http://smashboards.com/threads/editing-sfx-hurt-sounds-varying-attack-sounds.346764/
In Smash Bros. 64 and Smash Bros. Melee, when a character was hit at a high percentage by a strong attack, they would make a loud screaming sound. In Melee, there were variations of screaming sounds depending on how much percentage the receiving character had and the intensity of the attack. In Brawl, they removed that feature and made it so that each character only has one, very faint hurt sound that occurs a second after being hit, yet more, heavier hurt sounds are found on the game disc unused.

How did you (PMBR) get those files to work in Project M and make them work the same way they did in Melee? Was it a difficult process? What tools did you use? I ask this mainly because I want to use this feature in Brawl as well. As much information as you can give me would be delightful.

EDIT: I also noticed how when characters use certain attacks, like smash attacks, they use various attacking sounds like 64 and Melee instead of just one designated sound like Brawl. How did you go about pulling that off?
I know you're not PMBR, but you seem to know your way around SFX. If you can help me out, that'd be super duper awesome.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
This seems to be the best thread associated with my topic, so I'll just post it here.
http://smashboards.com/threads/editing-sfx-hurt-sounds-varying-attack-sounds.346764/

I know you're not PMBR, but you seem to know your way around SFX. If you can help me out, that'd be super duper awesome.
Ah. All these things are achieved by editing the FitCharacter.pac files. Subroutines are made to have the attack voice clips work as they do in Melee as well as for the strong hit screams. Everything you mentioned can somewhat easily be edited with the nifty little program called Project Smash Attacks. Google it or whatever or if I'm not mistaken it should be on Brawl Vault's 'Resource' page. I think that's where I got it.

Edit: Also how's incomplete Alt Link gonna have more downloads than more complete Zelda already? lol Youuuu guyyyyyys...

Last edited:

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
Hey, Amazerommu. Thank you for the reply. I started working on editing Mario's PAC file by copying certain parts of P:M's FitMario.pac that specifically relate to the SFX of his up-smash, down-smash, and all "DamageFly" animations. The problem is, when I try to load up Mario in regular Brawl, the game freezes. Is there a code I'm missing to make my changes work? Did I screw something up in the PSA? I have screenshots.
http://imgur.com/jBrE3E5,s2Ytv68,z7zKf95,jcjrDWU,8UAd8Jj#0
If you need reference, just load up the P:M FitMario.pac. I copied those sub routines exactly.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Hey, Amazerommu. Thank you for the reply. I started working on editing Mario's PAC file by copying certain parts of P:M's FitMario.pac that specifically relate to the SFX of his up-smash, down-smash, and all "DamageFly" animations. The problem is, when I try to load up Mario in regular Brawl, the game freezes. Is there a code I'm missing to make my changes work? Did I screw something up in the PSA? I have screenshots.
http://imgur.com/jBrE3E5,s2Ytv68,z7zKf95,jcjrDWU,8UAd8Jj#0
If you need reference, just load up the P:M FitMario.pac. I copied those sub routines exactly.
Did you actually copy and paste 'em? Cause that causes memory issues sometimes and thus causes your Wii to scream for mercy. Also when you add any subroutines, you have to make sure and copy them to whatever attacks you're using before you save it. Otherwise the subroutine decides it's not loved and/or unappreciated... and offs itself from the .pac file by jumping into the void of cyberspace... It's quite tragic. You probably figured that out already though haha.

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
Uhh... I think you lost me. XD
I didn't copy/paste them because it doesn't let me copy from one PSA to another. The only copying I've done was copying from within the PSA, such as copying identical lines of script and pasting them elsewhere. What do you mean by "when you add any subroutines, you have to make sure and copy them to whatever attacks you're using before you save it"?

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Uhh... I think you lost me. XD
I didn't copy/paste them because it doesn't let me copy from one PSA to another. The only copying I've done was copying from within the PSA, such as copying identical lines of script and pasting them elsewhere. What do you mean by "when you add any subroutines, you have to make sure and copy them to whatever attacks you're using before you save it"?
Haha by that I mean you have to add an event to each Smash attack or whatever. An event list will pop up. SubRoutine should be at or near the top. You'll click that of course, and change the value from all zeroes to whatever the address for the SubRoutine is. For the screen you sent, you'd add SubRoutine '1EBAC' to wherever you want it to be called. And actually instead of adding an event... it would be better to just change the existing voice clip for an attack to instead of playing a sound effect, execute the SubRoutine.

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
In my screen shots, the event list is set to SFX and I have the Sub Routines in place for those Sub Actions, like "Sub Routine 0x0001EBAC". The only other events are Main, GFX, and Other.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
In my screen shots, the event list is set to SFX and I have the Sub Routines in place for those Sub Actions, like "Sub Routine 0x0001EBAC". The only other events are Main, GFX, and Other.
Ya that is correct. I don't think there should be a code necessary to make it work... Oh it would be a good idea to make sure that the filesize of the edited .pac file is near the same size as the original .pac file. It should only be around 1KB difference.

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
FitMario.pac is 216 KB and my edited ones have ranged from 228 KB to 229 KB. I'm doing it over again to see if I can make it smaller.

EDIT: Okay, I just noticed something. When I remove a line of script in the Sub Actions tab and add something new in, the Offset changes. For example, for Sub Action 5D, I removed the line "Sound Effect: 181" and added in the Sub Routine line in its place. Is this a problem? I compared the Offset numbers between the original FitMario.pac and the P:M one and they both match.

EDIT 2: Okay, I followed this: "And actually instead of adding an event... it would be better to just change the existing voice clip for an attack to instead of playing a sound effect, execute the SubRoutine." And the offset values didn't change this time. The file size is still 227/228 KB. I try to load Mario in Brawl again, and it still freezes. I'm all out of ideas. I really want to get this right...

Last edited:

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
Sorry to bother you, Amazerommu, but do you have any more suggestions on what I should do with my dilemma? I don't know how to keep the filesize from going up, and it just won't stop freezing.
I can't give up on this. I just can't. >_<

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Sorry to bother you, Amazerommu, but do you have any more suggestions on what I should do with my dilemma? I don't know how to keep the filesize from going up, and it just won't stop freezing.
I can't give up on this. I just can't. >_<
Haha I don't know what else to tell ya right now... I'll try to figure something out though! Those subroutines do kinda take up a lot of space... So the size of the .pac file may not be the issue. Only thing I could think of would actually be a code necessary to make it work... But at the same time that doesn't seem like it should matter since everything is done in the .pac file.

Wolf_

Smash Journeyman
One thing I noticed with the melee sfx pack, Roy has sounds that happen multiple times, like when he lands, the landing sound will play 10 times in a matter of a second, is this a known problem?

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
One thing I noticed with the melee sfx pack, Roy has sounds that happen multiple times, like when he lands, the landing sound will play 10 times in a matter of a second, is this a known problem?
I haven't noticed this particularly. But I do plan on fixing the sfx issues that Roy and Mewtwo are having (and changing a few sounds for both of them as well). My guess is that there are a bunch of sfx calls in their .pac files, as is pretty common for the normal P:M .pac files... that would be the issue... which I will be able to find and fix. I might actually even be able to get to that tonight. Depends how late I'm able to stay up.

Thanks for bringing that up too! I wouldn't have looked for any issues with landing and/or some other sounds otherwise.

I can't see anything that would particularly cause it to crash... Maybe there is something the PMBR did to make it awesome...

Top Bottom