• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SD Remix - 3.3 Full with Slippi Rollback Released!

Quillion

Smash Hero
In Britain many people already have their Wiis modded anyway in order to play Project M (I believe I'm correct in saying that PM is more popular here relative to other Smash games than perhaps anywhere else), the problem is that everyone's too busy playing Project M to bother with SD Remix so it doesn't really make a difference.

That said, I feel like more publicity could improve the situation a lot. Integration with 20XX should be a big deal.
You mean Homebrew Channel modded? Have they stopped selling non-HC SD cards over there?

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
You mean Homebrew Channel modded? Have they stopped selling non-HC SD cards over there?
Yes; the only remaining thing needed to play SD Remix would be DIOS MIOS/Nintendont (and people with the 20XX hack pack will already have this).

You can still find 2GB SD cards on amazon.co.uk at least, and probably rarely in shops (though I haven't checked). People need homebrew channel because they need to USB load an NTSC Brawl .iso (the UK is a PAL region).

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Yes; the only remaining thing needed to play SD Remix would be DIOS MIOS/Nintendont (and people with the 20XX hack pack will already have this).

You can still find 2GB SD cards on amazon.co.uk at least, and probably rarely in shops (though I haven't checked). People need homebrew channel because they need to USB load an NTSC Brawl .iso (the UK is a PAL region).
Well here in America, 2-packs of 2GB cards aren't too hard to find.

But I've come to prefer HC (I use an 8GB) since I can run SDR, Project M, and (I hope in the future) other Brawl mods like BBrawl all at once.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
So, I'd like to take up a Devil's Advocate position for the moment (as we're in Stage 1 of Fandom Life Cycle).
Why do all of you even play SD Remix? What's the point of it all? Melee's roster is actually very balanced, and we have more than half the roster being represented in top-level play, with even bottom-tier characters having dedicated players trying to find new ways to play with them. SD Remix actually devalues competitive play in this way, since there's no more excitement in seeing low-tier characters beat the best players with top-tier characters (see aMSa with Yoshi).
[/devilsadvocate]
I really like these questions, I have been wanting to respond them for few days now, I guess now is the appropriate time.

Why do I support SD Remix? Because I believe it has a future. Why? Because I believe Melee has a future. Melee is such an fantastic game with an incredible engine that I believe it will never die off as long as the human race continues to play video-games. That being said, Melee has it's own issues, some of which will become more apparent as time progresses.
Melee is FAR from perfect. FAR from it. Here are a couple of reasons:

-Not geared towards competitive play, this is why 20XX has been successful with it's many useful features
-Many characters are not viable
-Outdated graphics

In short, I believe that SD Remix, combined with 20XX Hackpack, has the potential to become the true successor/sequel to Melee. Assuming that Melee would really thrive another 10 even 20 years it is likely that we would play Melee on PCs more and more, instead of consoles. At some point there will be no working Gamecubes or Wiis, not to mention the fact that Melee discs are already becoming increasingly expensive and scarce. This means hacking a console e.g. Wii U or it's successor (or PC) will become the only way to play Melee. That is, unless Nintendo decides to re-release Melee in some capacity (e.g. Virtual Console). 20XX Hackpack is already becoming more prevalent at tournaments, what happens when you can access SD Remix characters with a button click? The reason I, and other people enjoy this mod is because it is FUN. After trying out SD Remix, I really do not want to play low-tiers in Melee. Why? Because they ****ing suck. They are slow and terrible which kills all the fun.

Really, I think SD Remix has a lot of potential. Melee hacking has a LONG way to go, and has only recently started to gain momentum. In the future we will be able to improve various aspects of the game, such as graphics. Imagine Melee that has been hacked to the extent Project M has been hacked now. Now THAT is the Melee I want to see!

_glook

Got a Passion for Smashin'
So I tried changing the Game ID to MSDR01 and it works without issue. DIOS MIOS displays and loads it just fine (changing the game title also helps so that it displays differently to normal Melee. Dolphin works fine as well, and it's even nicer because it doesn't share the same save file as normal Melee in Dolphin this way, along with the fact that it's got it's own options too (like AR Codes). Overall, I'd say it's a win. I've attached the boot.bin I'm using.

Also, new overview, this time for DK:

There were a bunch of discrepancies in the changelist, and this time I kept track of them:
Clarified a lot of things in the "Other" column
Slouch Slap (dtilt): no cooldown decrease
Ape Applause (up smash): +1 DMG
Twin Beat (down smash): +1 DMG
Headbutt (side + b): +8 DMG, Opponent grounded time reduced

Attachments

emiguelsv

Smash Cadet
NNID
SpaceMS

This video was recently posted in /r/smashbros. By using the bunny hood, Ganondorf gets a second jab that has no hitbox. I think it looks really good and would've liked it if it was a standard Ganondorf move. I'm posting here because I figured if anyone would be interested in implementing it in some way, it would be the guys from the Melee SD Remix. What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited:

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Holy ****, Glook is putting into work with those overviews! Good job!

On a completely unrelated note, I think this song should be the official menu theme

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
So I noticed the body hitbox for Yoshi's dash attack was removed. Is this intentional, and if it is, why was it removed?
Just got back from my trip. Phew! Melty is such a great gam-

Ehem. I don't believe this is intentional at all. It seems to be some oversight I didn't catch while transitioning from 3.0 to 3.1. If you look at the .dat with MasterHand, you'll see both hitboxes are labeled as ID 0, which is why only one shows up (not to mention they somehow are both absolutely identical in hitbox data).

It will be corrected in the next balance patch, and not the 20XX version of 3.1. Besides, people think Yoshi is too strong in 3.1 anyhow (despite there being literally no footage of the character, haha).

Last edited:

LittleFoxBot

Smash Rookie
Could anyone share their methods of obtaining a melee ISO? The files I come across are always bin files that need to be converted, and the game is too large to convert with a program such as PowerISO.

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
Could anyone share their methods of obtaining a melee ISO? The files I come across are always bin files that need to be converted, and the game is too large to convert with a program such as PowerISO.
You can rip an ISO from your own Melee disc using a homebrewed Wii and a program such as CleanRip (http://wiibrew.org/wiki/CleanRip). Very few people do this because it's extremely easy to find and illegally download an ISO (in that format).

Smashboards does not allow discussion of illegally downloading games, so no-one can give you a link or explicitly tell you where you can find a copy without getting warned/banned.

Last edited:

_glook

Just got back from my trip. Phew! Melty is such a great gam-

Ehem. I don't believe this is intentional at all. It seems to be some oversight I didn't catch while transitioning from 3.0 to 3.1. If you look at the .dat with MasterHand, you'll see both hitboxes are labeled as ID 0, which is why only one shows up (not to mention they somehow are both absolutely identical in hitbox data).

It will be corrected in the next balance patch, and not the 20XX version of 3.1. Besides, people think Yoshi is too strong in 3.1 anyhow (despite there being literally no footage of the character, haha).
Thanks! That makes sense. As far as balancing, I kinda got the feeling he didn't really get buffed as much as others close to his tier, but maybe people feel he's overpowered because of Amsa's play in vanilla.
But yeah, I'd like to see people play Yoshi. Also, DK and Pikachu have gotten no love either, which is interesting.

Speaking of Yoshi footage...

Here are the list of changes to the changelist:
Clarified cooldown/IASA issues: When you can't shield, I put IASA. If you CAN shield, I've put cooldown.
Noggin Knock: Dash attack's body hitbox removed
Noggin Knock: Late hit has -1 damage
Noggin Floggin: Upsmash has increased base knockback
Yoshi's Kick: Clean hit has increased BASE knockbacks
Dino Flip: +1 Damage, slight base knockback increase
Egg roll: Has no cooldown reduction

HalcyonDays

Smash Apprentice
The current SDR 3.1 will be in the 20XX Pack.

When "SDR version" is toggled on for these top tier/normally unselectable characters, I may as well have a fun modified version for these guys since the vanilla versions will always be available.
So, I know that the SDR 20XX Marriage is definitely planned, but I just wanted to let you guys know, I'm personally super hyped for this. =)

And a Toggle feature for SDR in 20XX? Wow, I never thought of that as a feature. I LOVE IT.

Quillion

Smash Hero
@ sdremix_troubleshooter sdremix_troubleshooter : This shouldn't be too much trouble, but can SDR 3.1.1 include this code so that we actually have the ability to access the alt music? I'll do it manually for myself, but we should have this as one of those "little things".

Unlock Alternate Music Toggle (All Human Players hold L for Alt music on acceptable stages during loading):
@ DOL 0x1610C8 replace 38600000 -> 38600001
@ DOL 0x1614D4 replace 38600000 -> 38600001
@ DOL 0x164B14 replace 38600000 -> 38600001
Credit to @ Myougi Myougi (done as a request on the DOL Mod thread).

Last edited:

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
@ sdremix_troubleshooter sdremix_troubleshooter : This shouldn't be too much trouble, but can SDR 3.1.1 include this code so that we actually have the ability to access the alt music? I'll do it manually for myself, but we should have this as one of those "little things".
Sure. If you want, please make a list of existing 1.02 codes that you'd like included in 3.1.1. It probably shouldn't overlap too much with 20XX (you know why, lol) since it'd be 1) redundant 2) I want SDR to be relatively barebones and to the point.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master

Credit to @ Myougi Myougi (done as a request on the DOL Mod thread).
@ Myougi Myougi can you make a note on your post that this is for version 1.02. Just clarifying. Sorry, I should have mentioned this when I initially posted it.

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.
@ Myougi Myougi can you make a note on your post that this is for version 1.02. Just clarifying. Sorry, I should have mentioned this when I initially posted it.
Sure thing. Also, while we're adding things to SDR, is it at all possible you can add my improved Smashville? The platform is lower and never stops moving. I think it benefits more characters - (Mainly Ness, surprisingly).

Name: Improved Smashville Fourside v2
Made By: Milun, Myougi
Download Link Here: https://mega.co.nz/#!lEVXAQYA!BfECSlsXVG-2tOqEs4ybyIGBJ81EvQ_5zitvdq-R2yk

Another thing I'd like to ask.... and this is a bit of a stretch. Is it possible I could work on this at all with you guys? I want to add some things to the DOL and make SDR more 'plug-in play' for tournaments and netplay (Simply, stuff is missing that could be added to speed up the game's initial start up to it's first match). I've got a soft spot for SDR and I want to help out wherever I can. I wanna get into character modding and find out how you did that stuff too.

Sure. If you want, please make a list of existing 1.02 codes that you'd like included in 3.1.1. It probably shouldn't overlap too much with 20XX (you know why, lol) since it'd be 1) redundant 2) I want SDR to be relatively barebones and to the point.
I agree with this. While working on the Comm build, I'm not adding any player-specific codes (ex: Spoofing controllers, forcing P2 to shield, turn on knockback) that could interfere with gameplay. SDR should add some things to 'spice up' Melee a little (Like it already has it's own really nice new CSS, and more could be done to make it even more unique) and make it more friendly for the post-user.

Last edited:

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
I wanted to write some more thoughts on the future of this mod. I was there when Project M was first launched and I want to remind everyone that it took a LOT of time and effort from the developers that P:M got to where it is today. For example, I am the one that originally started the Facebook page that eventually became the official one for Project M. There were two Facebook pages for the project at the time, the official one and mine. The reason my page became much more popular is because I kept posting new content (such as matches etc.) to the page frequently. Eventually I gave up the admin rights to the page to the developers and they started using the page. I wanted to tell this story as an example of the persistence that is required to make something big. If anyone is interested, go the Project M Smashboards thread and start reading from the beginning and you get a grasp of the various hurdles and difficulties the dev team faced over time.

It is true that SD Remix is sort of "in between" of Melee and Project M at the moment. But compared to Project M, our situation is much better in a lot of aspects. First off, Melee's engine is in place and requires no modification. Secondly, SD Remix is being supported by Achilles, the creator of the most successful and widespread Melee mod ever. Thirdly, while Project M had to fight for years to establish itself as it's own game, SD Remix (combined with 20xx Hackpack) is more of an extension to Melee. In other words, the audience for this project is already there!

At some point in time, people are going to get bored of the meta-game of Melee, particularly the reign of the top tiers. While I think some top characters in Melee are not totally "fleshed out" (e.g. Fox/Marth/Sheik), there is only so much variety a game with incomplete character balance can offer. I am not saying this will happen any time soon. If anything, I believe it will be a slow and gradual process, the first signs of which we can already see. These are merely my personal opinions and open for debate:

-Prevalence of Fox. Increasing popularity. The character being pushed to it's limit.
-Counters for Fox, the rise of Marth mains, possibly the "true" 20xx character
-Counters for Marth, namely Sheik and Captain Falcon, possibly even Yoshi (although the latter I find unlikely)

(As for Falco, Jigglypuff and Peach, I think they have been more or less "fleshed out". In my opinion, Jigglypuff is overrated as a character)

Meanwhile, starting from the release of the 20XX Hackpack, low-tier mains are going to start to experiment with SD Remix characters (in addition to other Smashers). I believe that there will be, in general, a two-way split between these low-tier mains, this is merely a rough oversimplification:

a.) Those that continue playing the "vanilla version" of their character because they believe in the potential of their character (e.g. Link mains). These people will not want to play SD Remix versions of their characters because they believe it may hinder their development in Melee or because they dislike the changes due to somewhat liking their characters in Vanilla Melee.

b.) Those that prefer the SD Remix characters and start to dislike their respective characters in Melee because they feel these characters do not have enough potential in Vanilla Melee. These people will rather invest their time into SD Remix characters because they have more fun playing this way, which may spark interest in competitive events for the mod.

As 20XX Hackpack becomes more widespread, SD Remix will most likely gain more popularity as a result. The question is whether the majority of people prefer the SD Remix characters or not, and invest time into the mod therein. Because of this, I think it is very important to focus on the release of the 20XX Hackpack to ensure SD Remix gets the best possible representation. The rest is up to the Smash community.

E:

What about Nintendo? As of now, Project M is losing popularity due to Nintendo's policies. Nintendo will oppose mods like SD Remix as well. This is why I think it is vital for the community to take a stand against the current policies of Nintendo as a company. I am immensely frustrated with Nintendo, as the only reason it deals with the competitive community today is that they have finally realized that the competitive community can be massively profitable for them. WE are a God-send to Nintendo, and not the other way around. I want to remind everyone of this because companies would not have power without people supporting them by buying their products. There can stil be large-scale Project M tournaments and majors, but it is going to take dedicated effort from the community in a form of campaigns and feedback directly at Nintendo. Corporations are not supposed to be these shadowy super-powers abusing their power but rather results of the choices made by us, the consumers. Nintendo is not going to simply change their policies, because corporations are by default greedy and oppressive due to our economic system. Rather, we need to change Nintendo's policies as it's supporters. This has already happened several times, even though skeptics at the time said things like "Nintendo will never support the competitive Smash community". We need to convince Nintendo that suppressing mods like Project M and SD Remix is a STUPID decision of them as a company. Just like when Nintendo was going to ban the stream from EVO. Just like Nintendo has neglected the competitive community for years before realizing "Hey! We can actually make money out of the competitive Smash community! Perhaps we should not neglect and suppress them!" Nintendo has made ******** choices and policies over the years, and suppressing mods is clearly one of them.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Honestly you'd probably have a hell of an easier time about SD:R than PM simply due to the assets alone being strictly Nintendo's owned property as opposed to stuff like Dracula's Castle (sorry) and other things.

I do think that it's an endeavour that should be thought about clearly, but right now I don't think it's worth thinking about too much. Nintendo's sponsorship hasn't been a finalized thing (I'm neutral to it, it's either going to develop and they're going to involve themselves more, or they won't and they'll stop caring, no clue). They can't do anything BESIDES ignore P:M, P:M uses stuff from other licensed games that aren't really "covered" in the licensing rights of Brawl itself (i.e. Jet Set Sonic, Dracula's Castle from the Wii Castlevania fighting game, etc.). SD Remix however, has stuff that is all from Melee. No new tangible IPs, property, etc. is involved in it. But the mentality of console modifications as far as EVERY large company goes is very...well, negative unfortunately, and it's more for reasons that involve piracy (which is commonly what it's used for, no offense!)

TL;DR You'd have a stronger case for it here but, Melee is still going incredibly strong and I think it's best to wait it out. Worth thinking about, but only briefly right now IMO.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'd like to note that it's really just Nintendo of America that's supporting the competitive community, and that's only because they faced backlash apparently due to a combination of marketing and miscommunication issue between parties (according to this guy).

Nintendo of Japan and Nintendo of Europe have not shown that same level of support. The former due to respecting Sakurai's wishes of not promoting huge skill gaps, and the latter due to Nintendo's lack of presence in Europe.

And another thing: Nintendo's attitude on hacking goes way back. And this one in particular was instigated by Nintendo of America.

So there's really no chance of getting any mod at all to be at a big event at this point.

But also at this point, I'm kind of happy with SDR being its own little niche. Being in a tiny yet united sect of a fandom that is, as a whole, as bad if not worse than the Sonic and My Little Pony fandoms has its advantages.

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
Sure thing. Also, while we're adding things to SDR, is it at all possible you can add my improved Smashville? The platform is lower and never stops moving. I think it benefits more characters - (Mainly Ness, surprisingly).

Another thing I'd like to ask.... and this is a bit of a stretch. Is it possible I could work on this at all with you guys? I want to add some things to the DOL and make SDR more 'plug-in play' for tournaments and netplay (Simply, stuff is missing that could be added to speed up the game's initial start up to it's first match). I've got a soft spot for SDR and I want to help out wherever I can. I wanna get into character modding and find out how you did that stuff too.
Yes, the new Fourside will be added to 3.1.1. I also received a lot of complaints about how the camera movement/general behavior on Fourside is nauseating, so I would also like to fix that before releasing 3.1.1.

Myougi, I would be glad to work with you. I haven't really touched the project outside of administrative duties and discussing potential balance issues. I'm afraid I'm quite behind in terms of what Achilles, you, and many others have accomplished for Melee hacking, so a new perspective is useful in that sense too.

May as well put this out there for everybody: Just know I am quite adamant about SD Remix's general direction right now, and I am confident it is the 'right' approach (whatever that means). So when and if I disagree with you or Ripple or whoever, it's not a personal attack. Simply a difference of opinion. :)

Last edited:

_glook

So I was thinking about the memory card exploit and was thinking of maybe ways to save space and fit it on one of the official memory cards, in particular the 8 MB one (which is the biggest official memory card). I would like to run by an idea to scope out the feasibility of it. I tend to be a little long winded, so please bear with me, I just want my assumptions to be made clear.

It has been a really long time since I've done any Melee hacking (maybe 7 years ago when Dolphin was pretty bad and you had to use a Phantasy Star Online exploit in order to connect your PC to your GCN via your router). So there's a lot of ignorance in this post and I'll be making a lot of assumptions about how Melee, and indeed the Gamecube's architecture, work.

What I imagine how the memory card exploit works is it's a stack overflow exploit. I imagine this lets you run arbitrary code. I'm also assuming this lets you also overwrite the program stored in memory (in other words, I assume there's no write protection going on in the lower sections of RAM that stores the game program code). I imagine this means that your stack overflow arbitrary code execution can alter the game programming in any way you want, provided you have enough space to do it. I imagine you can't just write code to a random spot in memory, as Melee probably uses as much as it can, though there seems to be plenty of available space just at the end of the program code section (presumably unused debug stuff).

There are two ways I can imagine that the Gamecube reads stuff from the optical disc, either you allocate a space in memory for the file you're reading to be filled into or the Gamecube chunks up the memory so you deal with pieces of it at a time (I don't really understand the memory constraints, though the dat files themselves don't seem to be too big (250ish kiB)).

The SD Card version of the changes for SD Remix is 20 megabytes. More than four of those are for the main.dol, which I imagine houses codes that can be injected in the same way 20XX TE is doing it, which saves close to 4 megabytes. There are three files that are more than 2-4 megabytes but I assume those are menu files and can be ignored for gameplay purposes. That leaves you with 7 to 8 megabytes, which can fit on the biggest official memory card, but I imagine is cutting it a little too close.

I don't have a linux machine on me at the moment and I don't know of a windows tool to do this, but I imagine if I take the diff of those character files in the SD Remix download and compare them to the original character files, I imagine those differences (in bytes) only account for a small fraction of what the total size of the character file itself. So instead of storing the actual character files on the memory card, you can just store the diffs on the memory card (in a way that's optimized for small space instead of readability like normal diff tools do), since you can still read the original character file from disc and just modify the file using the diff from there.

The actual process of modifying the character file depends on how Melee is using the character files.
- If the character files are filled into a section in memory (which is possible considering these files are pretty small to begin with), it would be a matter of finding the subroutine that loads the character files into memory, injecting a jump to a function I'm calling "overwriteMemory" right after the file is put into memory, then having the "overwriteMemory" read the diff for that character file from the memory card and overwriting the bits of memory that are different to get the SD Remix version of the file, then jumping back to the original subroutine (making sure you do whatever it was that the code did that you overwrote to do the injected jump, before jumping back).
- If the character file is read piecemeal or even streamed, it'll be trickier and slower, but it could possibly be a similar idea where you would inject a jump right after the streamed or chunked data is written to memory and then overwrite that memory using the diff file from the memory card. This would be much slower since you'd have to check for each chunk/word/dword that you need to overwrite it, and the logic to figure out whether you do need to rewrite it is different. If it's streamed, I imagine it's using registers instead of memory, but there's no way anybody in their right mind streams things from storage.

In my mind, this seems to make sense. It would go a long way if SD Remix were able to be stored on a memory card, but my idea makes a lot of assumptions. Am I right in my assumptions and would this work? I can't say I have tons of free time, but if it were doable, I may consider looking into the implementation of this (hopefully there's a way to get started on just this topic without having to learn all aspects of Melee hacking first. As I've said, it's been a really long time since I've touched the Melee code).

Last edited:

hamyojo

Smash Ace
Too lazy to read things but really hope SD Remix can get on mem cards too. It's so fun and feels like such a fresh take on a game we love.
Also I think I have the best SDYoshi, and maybe best SDPichu as well... My Mewtwo just abuses Teleport and f-smash and does silly Mewtwo things.

NinfanNanz

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4425-2858-3538
In short, I believe that SD Remix, combined with 20XX Hackpack, has the potential to become the true successor/sequel to Melee.
That would be amazing! I have been trying to do this for hours, but can't seem to get it to work.
Both Melee SD remix and 20XX are amazing, I just wish they weren't separate.
Also I agree. Melee's meta has to stagnate at some point. At that point, Melee SD remix and 20XX will come in and eventually make the game anew. 20XXTE should be used alot more at competitions not strictly supported by Nintendo, with Melee SD remix most likely following. Plus it can be patched, so if any one is too strong or something, they can always be fixed.
Edit: yay got them combined to work!

Last edited:

smoothjazzyet

Smash Rookie
Hi,
i'm having some problems with the DVD/Dolphin installation of SD Remix
i'm a pal user so i have a pal wii, and i play on usb. the problem is, that i have melee 20XX on that usb and even if i do everything that is said in the DVD/Dolphin tutorial, when i put my SD remix iso in my usb, i feel i have to create a new folder so i call it GALE01_ (cause GALE01 already countains 20XX) and when i launch USB Loader GX, i have two melee games but they are both 20XX, so i cant even play.
whats wrong? :(

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
Hi,
i'm having some problems with the DVD/Dolphin installation of SD Remix
i'm a pal user so i have a pal wii, and i play on usb. the problem is, that i have melee 20XX on that usb and even if i do everything that is said in the DVD/Dolphin tutorial, when i put my SD remix iso in my usb, i feel i have to create a new folder so i call it GALE01_ (cause GALE01 already countains 20XX) and when i launch USB Loader GX, i have two melee games but they are both 20XX, so i cant even play.
whats wrong? :(
If both Melee games are 20XX, then you installed SD Remix incorrectly (or copied the wrong file), I think. Make sure the edited ISO you are using for GALE01_ is actually SD Remix.

smoothjazzyet

Smash Rookie
Ok i'll try again and i'll tell you
So it doesnt matter that my sd remix folder is GALE01_ instead of GALE01? i thought that was the problem lol

_glook

Hey guys. I took SD Remix to the Webster University Biweekly in St. Louis on Friday. I recorded matches. Here's the playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpheeULjhdrXssvzHp9teeaOqBqwDi2GR

There are a lot of top tier matches, especially in the beginning, so if you don't want to watch that, I've put the characters used in the titles, so you can watch only the non-top tier matches, if you so choose.

The reception was very positive. Usually I have a pretty hands off approach and just put a copy of the changelist next to the TV for people to figure out, but this time I instead was nearby the setup whenever I wasn't playing vMelee tournament matches and made myself available to answer questions about SD Remix to people who wanted to play. As a result, I got a better feel for how people felt about it, and while only half of the people there bothered to give it a try, the half that did liked it and enjoyed it, a few of them very much so. I got a lot of "this is cool" comments and a few "I wish this were a thing at tournaments". One comment that reinforced something I'd already thought was one guy said, "This is really neat but not enough for me to go out of my way to get a Wii, mod it, and install it." But other than the usual complaints about the difficulty to install, the reception was very good.

HalcyonDays

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys. I took SD Remix to the Webster University Biweekly in St. Louis on Friday. I recorded matches. Here's the playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpheeULjhdrXssvzHp9teeaOqBqwDi2GR

There are a lot of top tier matches, especially in the beginning, so if you don't want to watch that, I've put the characters used in the titles, so you can watch only the non-top tier matches, if you so choose.

The reception was very positive. Usually I have a pretty hands off approach and just put a copy of the changelist next to the TV for people to figure out, but this time I instead was nearby the setup whenever I wasn't playing vMelee tournament matches and made myself available to answer questions about SD Remix to people who wanted to play. As a result, I got a better feel for how people felt about it, and while only half of the people there bothered to give it a try, the half that did liked it and enjoyed it, a few of them very much so. I got a lot of "this is cool" comments and a few "I wish this were a thing at tournaments". One comment that reinforced something I'd already thought was one guy said, "This is really neat but not enough for me to go out of my way to get a Wii, mod it, and install it." But other than the usual complaints about the difficulty to install, the reception was very good.
I'm glad that the people that do try it end up enjoying it!

Honestly, I really do feel that this mod in particular has the potential to extend the life of this game much farther that it's gone already, and that's pretty impressive.

I remember showing up at my first Melee tournament to play some friendlies, bringing along my Roy. Everyone seemed a little surprised, myself included. They were surprised at seeing an actual Roy main as if they were seeing a nearly extinct species, and I was surprised that just about everybody there pretty much stuck to the top 8 characters, although in hindsight, I guess I should've known better.

And while being a "Low-Tier" hero supposedly has some respect that comes with it, I would just love it if I could watch Evo, Apex, etc and see a large variety of characters all played really well, each with a shot at taking the title!

Now, like that one comment about installation difficulty, it'd be pretty sweet if it were possible to somehow use a similar memory card load feature that 20XXTE has. Is such a thing possible?

Anyways, here's hoping SD: Remix spreads like wild-fire!

Last edited:
Top Bottom