• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee PAL Tier List Released

KneeIsLoveKneeIsLife

Smash Rookie
Wrong. Falco did get nerfed - his D-throw is techable in PAL and the 2nd half of his down air doesn't spike. I agree though, Falco is MUCH better than Fox.
His D-throw did not change at all. All that changed is Fox's weight. Don't tell me Falco is bad because Fox can now tech is d-throw.
And the Spike hitbox not coming through on the second half of his dair animation is quite useful for edguarding, as it is pretty much impossible to walltech is dair using that hitbox. In a metagame where people sdi towards the stage to tech stuff, this is extremely useful. I would consider this a buff.

And even if you thought of all that as a nerf; looking at how much Fox was nerfed, there is no reason to think Fox has the advantage. Much less him being SS.

Edit: I want to add that in NTSC, Mango went literally YEARS undefeated with Falco against Fox. I'd go as far as argue about that matchup any day of the week in Falco's favor.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
At least Fox's shine game remains, Falco cannot effectively pillar in PAL. D Air is not a spike but a meteor. Consider this when you're saying Falco is better than Fox.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Wrong. Falco did get nerfed - his D-throw is techable in PAL and the 2nd half of his down air doesn't spike. I agree though, Falco is MUCH better than Fox.
Plus, you can DI out of DAIR much further away in PAL, which damages Falco's combo game in PAL.

Deg

Smash Cadet
NTSC guys:
-Fox-
Dies ~5% earlier
Kills ~10% later with upsmash
UpB is a little shorter

-Marth-
Dair no longer spikes but grounded opponents get twice the lag after they are hit (it's a meteor).
Can no longer be waveshined

-Falco-
Cannot combo floaties or others at high % as well due to no weakhit on his spike. This is more relevant than it sounds.

-Shiek-
Dthrow is not as guaranteed to follow up, especially on higher %
Uair is no longer a good killmove, this in correlation with the changes to Dthrow really hurts her game against floaties.

(To the "link should be higher" people)
-Link-
UpB no longer semi-spikes in the later half of the animation and sends people in the sakurai angle instead.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Glad to see Link come close to mid tier.
To which we look at the first tier list and see he's actually close to high tier in that.

Also, it's a terrible idea for them to have made 10 brackets...
And two characters hold singular places in said brackets. Peach and Fox shouldn't have their own tiers, because they don't deserve it.

If they made the tier list right and categorized it correctly, it'd look like this:

S Tier::foxmelee::marthmelee::falcomelee::jigglypuffmelee::sheikmelee:
A Tier: :peachmelee::falconmelee::icsmelee::samusmelee::pikachumelee:
B Tier: :yoshimelee::drmario::luigimelee::ganondorfmelee::mariomelee::linkmelee:
C Tier: :dkmelee::younglinkmelee::gawmelee::zeldamelee::mewtwomelee:
F Tier: :roymelee::nessmelee::bowsermelee::kirbymelee::pichumelee:

That way there'd be much more of a balancing in it and much more of a categorization instead of the jumbled mess that is this tier list they made. It's rather sickening that Peach and Fox would have their own tiers.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Fox? Top tier? Not in PAL but that's just my opinion
U Smash killing 10% later, dying 5% earlier, less shine combos and a slightly shorter recovery doesn't change Fox that much. He's still Fox. Sheik and Falco where nerfed much more imo. Which explains this list.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Link is middle tier, I don't know why they believe this. I found out why, all the Link players there are decent at best which is surprising due to the fact Europeans are always unique in their game-play.
Anyone want to go back to Link's D-Throw > Spin Attack in the NTSC version? Or at least start trying to play Link professionally for once?

(So much untapped potential because very little play him. It's sad actually.)

Last edited:

KneeIsLoveKneeIsLife

Smash Rookie
U Smash killing 10% later, dying 5% earlier, less shine combos and a slightly shorter recovery doesn't change Fox that much. He's still Fox. Sheik and Falco where nerfed much more imo. Which explains this list.
Falco? Complete bull****. You never played PAL if you say that.

-Falco-
Cannot combo floaties or others at high % as well due to no weakhit on his spike. This is more relevant than it sounds.
The hell are you talking about? His ability to combo Floaties or any character really didn't change even slightly. All that changed is the second half of the hitbox.
Plus, you can DI out of DAIR much further away in PAL, which damages Falco's combo game in PAL.
And why would that be? The angle, knockback and scaling is exactly the same in PAL.

Have ANY of you ever played the damn version? Saying Fox has a 'SLIGHTLY' nerfed recovery is ridiculous too. His up-b is massively nerfed and it makes a huge difference. That alone would have made him worse than Falco.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I live in Europe, have been playing PAL Melee since 01. :rolleyes: Falco's D Air is NOT a spike it's a meteor in PAL. Him being #3 is a good spot cause Marth has a lot more going for him in PAL.

KneeIsLoveKneeIsLife

Smash Rookie
I don't know but I trust Dr. Peepee's word on it. He was visiting Europe couple of years back when he attended "Smasher's Reunion" in Norway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5VODucjYfA0#t=670
There is no evidence supporting his claim.
The only thing that changed is the fact that people in Europe have a different playstyle. Maybe they knew a thing or two more about how to DI back then. Or they just did it differently.
Listing this as "Floaties ae harder to combo" is absolute nonsense.

Deg

Smash Cadet
Falcos Dair is a spike in PAL.

The later half of his dair is weaker in NTSC therefore you can make it so that you land earlier than your opponent extending the combo. In PAL this hit would send the opponent upwards and hitting with the harder hit would make them able to tech before you land ending your combo.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Wow! This new tier list will bring more variety at tournaments!

Instead of :foxmelee: vs. :foxmelee: vs. :foxmelee: vs. :foxmelee: vs. :foxmelee: vs. :falcomelee: vs. :foxmelee: vs. :foxmelee:, it will be :foxmelee: vs. :foxmelee: vs. :foxmelee: vs. :foxmelee: vs. :foxmelee: vs. :falcomelee: vs. :foxmelee: vs. :marthmelee:.

:troll::troll::troll:
Yes. Just like Brawl has MK and ICs and Smash 4 has Diddy, Rosy, and Sheik. Every smash game is unbalanced on purpose and will always have an overused character.

MegaSilver

Smash Cadet
NNID
MegaSilver
Fox as SS is a little ridiculous.

Tier lists in general are a little ridiculous though too. I played with mostly guys near the bottom at the time. Mostly the Links.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Link is not that low, I blame Melee Link players who haven't experimented enough with him.
As much as I don't like you, you're kinda right. Link needs more people who would take him to his limits. Like Amsa is doing with Yoshi, for example. However, unlike Yoshi, Link is simply not capable of competing with top tiers besides maybe Marth. Top tiers are his main weakness. He's completely helpless against them, so it would take a hell of a lot of talent to even hold your own in top level play. You can really tell how good a Link main is based on how well he does v.s. the top characters because of how much effort is needed to outplay them. It's inspiring to watch a Link kicking high tier ass, even if he ends up losing the set. With enough solid rep, I have some hope that he'll make it into mid tier at least since he definitely isn't very far from it in the current tier lists.

Duskinja

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yoshibrothers505
Unless this is in a particular order, I'd say Marth has Falco beat. :dazwa:

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Oh really? I blame Up B nerfs but that could just be me.

Imo it's :dkmelee: > :younglinkmelee: > :linkmelee:
Nerfs like that shouldn't matter in a game like Melee, it's the way he's used which annoys me. Whenever I view Links play it's like watching a Smash-4 Link play in For Glory at times which baffles me as in projectile play, he has more potential than depending on Bombs for combos, now when it's Young Link however, he's jumping here and there, bairs to grab, tech chase and so forth, big difference huh? Don't get me wrong though, I'm aware Links like J6 play, but his flow is strange and he grabs way too much, he doesn't max out Bomb combos, just Nair all day which of course Link has other airs like Fair, Bair and Uair if you know how to start up some creative combos. Do I know how he must be played?

No I was a GnW main in Melee not Link. That's where people like Amsa come in and figure out this conundrum. The only Link player to become the closet to tap into Link's potential was The Germ. But The Germ however isn't the same like he use to be as in he doesn't have style he use to have which is what made him towards who he is now. He's still great and fun to spectate, but his Link isn't the same and got worse from my viewpoint. Once more if people like Amsa will show up towards this character then things will become different easily.

And Link is better than Young Link since Link can kill and doesn't depend only on the bomb to Dair at high percentages. DK is another character that has potential within his Grabs and unique set ups if players can come up with some. "Dreams don't work unless you do" ~ John C. Maxwell

Last edited:

Effay

Smash Lord
Switch FC
0527-9775-5784
Putting Fox as SS is ****ing ********, especially in PAL. Fox is getting bodied by Falco that has not a single nerf in PAL.
Yeah? he usually beats Fox in NTSC, too. What's your point? Marth has a positive matchup on spacies. Does that mean he should be the highest tier?
Falco is still more limited than Fox, and as long as he is, Fox will be the dominant tier.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Yes. Just like Brawl has MK and ICs and Smash 4 has Diddy, Rosy, and Sheik. Every smash game is unbalanced on purpose and will always have an overused character.
Eh saturation is different still in each version.

But it's pointless to argue this unless we look at raw numbers. Which isn't that different at the top with the #1 getting most of the results.

though is scales differently with each game.

MK has the largest gap if you compare him with the next in line, Snake.

PM seems to have the smallest gap, Fox not much better than marth, but this is also considering differing in patches, 3.5 came out in the time frame. So there is some differences there in usage. Though again this is partly due to the fact most fox mains in melee stick to him in PM because he more or less isn't changed that much outside of some nerfs and some new options.

Brawl on raw numbers without looking at context is the worst in terms of top to the rest, though it does smooth out after metaknight a lot better.

Falco rounds out Melee a bit better at the top, but outside of that Smash 4 and Melee don't seem to be that different in terms of usage numbers of the top 8. Though this may change if customs pick up for better or worse.

KneeIsLoveKneeIsLife

Smash Rookie
Yeah? he usually beats Fox in NTSC, too. What's your point? Marth has a positive matchup on spacies. Does that mean he should be the highest tier?
Falco is still more limited than Fox, and as long as he is, Fox will be the dominant tier.
Your whole post is simply wrong.
I actually stopped taking you seriously at 'Marth has a positive matchup on spacies'.

Effay

Smash Lord
Switch FC
0527-9775-5784
Your whole post is simply wrong.
I actually stopped taking you seriously at 'Marth has a positive matchup on spacies'.
If you're going to say that my whole post is "simply wrong", than at least point a mistake out in it. Since you didn't, I'm going to assume that I'm right for now.

Top Bottom