• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee online: when will it happen ?

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
When posting this, I assume that most of you already own Melee, so piracy shouldn't be an issue.

I'm sure that those of you who tried playing SSB64 on Kaillera will agree that it's a much better experience than anything Nintendo tried in the online department so far (you can thank FCs and ******** "security" policies for that). Which brings me to my question;

When do you think the average home PC will be powerful enough to emulate the GC resonably well, and give us the possibility to play Melee online in a decent environment without much lag ? Will this somehow increase the game's lifespan and would you come back to SSBM if it happened ?

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
Well,I'm pretty sure Call of Duty 4 is more of a work out for your pc than smash would. And doesn't lag depend on the connection and how far away the people connected are?

Personally,Sonic was the deal breaker for me. I don't like the brawl version of my melee main Sheik,so if Brawl didn't have Sonic,I may or may not have switched back. But he is and since everyone has theirr fc right under their names,Nintendo's security nonsense doesn't make much of a difference in terms of online play. Melee was a Great game,and it's hard for any sequel to live up to it's predeceser,butpeople are discovering that Brawl isn't awfull,just a bit different.

Grand Mango

Smash Journeyman
When posting this, I assume that most of you already own Melee, so piracy shouldn't be an issue.

I'm sure that those of you who tried playing SSB64 on Kaillera will agree that it's a much better experience than anything Nintendo tried in the online department so far (you can thank FCs and ******** "security" policies for that). Which brings me to my question;

When do you think the average home PC will be powerful enough to emulate the GC resonably well, and give us the possibility to play Melee online in a decent environment without much lag ? Will this somehow increase the game's lifespan and would you come back to SSBM if it happened ?
Average home PC?

I'm pretty sure the ones you buy in the store at the $1000 dollar price range is powerful enough to do it if they didn't have Vista.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
In order to emulate efficiently you have to far surpass the strength of the console in order to run it at the original capacity.

It's not going to happen for several more years.

Goldberg

Smash Apprentice
http://www.dolphin-emu.com/

- You don't even want to know how much trouble it is to properly dump your SSBM from the disc to the PC.

- You need a 64-bit OS to actually play the game.

- Since games still don't play well enough, the emulator is only for testing purposes and only ONE controller is supported (this implies no multiplayer, and no online).

- SSBM runs quite fast, but there is still no frame limiter.

I tried it on my "mid-range" PC and it wasn't pretty, but it seemed like it will be completed in a couple of years.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I remember reading that if Sakurai didn't want to make a 3rd Smash game, then Nintendo was just going to re-release Melee with online play on the Wii. I don't know why they don't just do that anyway. There's no reason why they can't have Melee and Brawl. How many times did Capcom remake Street Fighter 2?

We should start a petition for Nintendo to remake Melee with online play on Wii. Mario Kart Wii has much better online play than Brawl. So maybe Nintendo's online play is getting less sucky. So hopefully if they remade Melee on Wii it would have online more like Mario Kart Wii.

Seriously though, if we had a petition with enough signatures, they might actually listen. I think everyone on Smashboards would sign it. Even if you like Brawl better, there's no reason why we can't have both.

drcossack

Smash Ace
I remember reading that if Sakurai didn't want to make a 3rd Smash game, then Nintendo was just going to re-release Melee with online play on the Wii. I don't know why they don't just do that anyway. There's no reason why they can't have Melee and Brawl. How many times did Capcom remake Street Fighter 2?
Regular, Champion Edition, Turbo, and possibly more. Ooh, big deal. Turbo allowed you to play as Balrog, Vega, Sagat, and Bison. I think Champion Edition did too, but I'm not exactly sure.

We should start a petition for Nintendo to remake Melee with online play on Wii. Mario Kart Wii has much better online play than Brawl. So maybe Nintendo's online play is getting less sucky. So hopefully if they remade Melee on Wii it would have online more like Mario Kart Wii.
Seriously though, if we had a petition with enough signatures, they might actually listen. I think everyone on Smashboards would sign it. Even if you like Brawl better, there's no reason why we can't have both.
I don't think it'll work. Would've been nicer to see Melee remade with online play though.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
I think it would work if we had enough signatures. If there was a lot of demand for it they'd have no reason not to make it. It would just be a missed opportunity if they didn't.

NIXN

Smash Apprentice
Didnt they rig Brawl to work better online by butchering alot of the gameplay that was involving some skill bc it made it lag more?

I couldnt watch a fate that cruel for melee.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Didnt they rig Brawl to work better online by butchering alot of the gameplay that was involving some skill bc it made it lag more?

Not that I know of. I think Brawl's online sucks because Sakurai didn't really care too much about online play. It looks like he just threw the online mode togather and focused most of his time on stupid things like the Subspace whatever it's called.

S2

Smash Lord

That's a popular theory. That the slower pace of the game combined with no L-canceling (so there's a lot less button presses) would make online work better.

Melee online would run into the same problem brawl has, unless everyone has a godly connection it'd lag up the wazoo.

In a perfect world, when Internet connection get better for the average consumer it'd be lag free.

What would be nice is if on Wii's successors they start having VC title's with online capabilities (seriously, even if through tunneling. SNES emulators could do this a decade ago).

I doubt there's a single smasher on this board who wouldn't rebuy an online Melee.

Eggm

Smash Hero
First step would be to figure out the computer specs needed to run melee online flawlessly. then we can figure out how long that will be the average computer.

Zodiac

Smash Master

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Well,I'm pretty sure Call of Duty 4 is more of a work out for your pc than smash would. And doesn't lag depend on the connection and how far away the people connected are?
Lol. You do realize that maintaining a good connection on an emulator like Dolphin is almost impossible. C0D4 is runned by Windows, but Melee is runned by Dolphin which is run by Windows. Also, this would probably run at like .5 fps unless a super server is developed.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
That's a popular theory. That the slower pace of the game combined with no L-canceling (so there's a lot less button presses) would make online work better.

Melee online would run into the same problem brawl has, unless everyone has a godly connection it'd lag up the wazoo.

In a perfect world, when Internet connection get better for the average consumer it'd be lag free.

What would be nice is if on Wii's successors they start having VC title's with online capabilities (seriously, even if through tunneling. SNES emulators could do this a decade ago).

I doubt there's a single smasher on this board who wouldn't rebuy an online Melee.
Sakurai said the ground speed of the gameplay was decreased to accomodate the Wii-Mote control schemes...

pyroty

Smash Apprentice
this is how to play melee online http://www.geocities.com/the_psychotic_worm/ssbmonlinetutorial.htm
Keep in mind it only works with v 1 right now.
You also need Phantasy star online for this to work.

Oh for our entertainment lets take a quick moment to lol at the two posters who mentioned brawl on this forum http://www.twingalaxies.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7487

Im gonna go ahead and quote myself to see if anyone was listening
Am I the only one that read yout post? Lol, Yeah I was actually reading through all the posts to make sure somone had mentioned this method, I guess nobody cares about this even though its been proven to work and everything, oh well, if anything >bump
and for any of you that havent, READ IT ^

Benjamin Linus

Smash Apprentice
Melee online does exist however you must go through an extensive amount of procedures to acquire it. Not to mention it is very glitchy and clearly is gotten through forcing.

If melee were to be remade for online capabilities i believe it would not be nearly as enjoyable. The fact that it is impossible to eliminate all lag from an online game is the reason why. Melee is a very close knit and precise game. if you miss an L-cancel timing by half a second it will not work. in that second you may be thoroughly punished for that mistake. For non-competitive gamers melee would be acceptable however for those who use its advanced techniques it would be quite frustrating and difficult.

Skylord

Smash Apprentice
Well, considering the rate at which technology is advancing, I don't think it's gonna be too long before the average customer can get an internet connection fast enough to play a game as Melee with almost 0 delay.

I, for one, am waiting for SSB 4, hoping that the developers might come to their senses and give us a game that requires both swift fingers quick thinking to be good.

no. 1 smash daddy

Smash Ace

you wish...and so do I.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
Melee online does exist however you must go through an extensive amount of procedures to acquire it. Not to mention it is very glitchy and clearly is gotten through forcing.

If melee were to be remade for online capabilities i believe it would not be nearly as enjoyable. The fact that it is impossible to eliminate all lag from an online game is the reason why. Melee is a very close knit and precise game. if you miss an L-cancel timing by half a second it will not work. in that second you may be thoroughly punished for that mistake. For non-competitive gamers melee would be acceptable however for those who use its advanced techniques it would be quite frustrating and difficult.
I play SSB64 competitively on Kaillera. Yes, the lag is annoying but it doesn't make it unplayable. You can still shine cancel, z cancel, djc, etc... pretty consistently with practice if you ask me. I know the frame timing is a bit more difficult in SSBM but still... Just don't play with high stakes if you fear that lag might cost you a match. It may not be appropriate for the most serious tournament but online works fine for everything else.

unknownPresence

Smash Ace
i dont think it will evr hi online plus gamecube does hav an online but bc it sux no 1 knows about it and even nintendo stoped working on it so the blame is partly on us, and as far as it goin PC well that mite upset a lot of the plyrs bc the controller is perfect 4 melee and goin PC mite destroy it

DragonBlade

Smash Journeyman
A working emulator that would run Melee at 60 fps would be great actually. We could use a converter and connect GC controllers to the PC and set up an online system also. If we want to get ambitious, we could crack the file formats and add more character and stages (making Brawl obsolete in more than just physics).

As far as I know, there is no such emulator. Maybe we could get all Melee players who can program together and finish an open source one, but that would be crazy.

Top Bottom