• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee online via dolphin

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
stupid question... but doesn't the pc screen lag?
doesnt any console emulator lag on the pc screen? Like NES/SNES/Genesis/MAME/GameBoy/etc.?

I felt limited, because I was at 60ms ping. If I play someone who is at 30ms or lower, it will be perfect for majority of games (excluding fox/falco/ice climbers), but there will be the desync.

P.S.

Yea post 1234.

PeachEater74

Smash Apprentice
I would be so down for this, I only use a PS2 controller at the moment, but it still sounds fun.

AIM is Superflanker623, and skype is also SuperFlanker623.

Also East coast. But yeah, it'd be freaking awesome if we could get something legit set up, IM me if you're down for some matches.

voorhese

Smash Master
hmm ur online vids look kinda animeish, like they are bursts of speed kinda, reminds me of roadi running in gears...if that makes sense

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
You need to use THIS EXACT VERSION OF DOLPHIN AND CONFIGURATION:

64-bit Only: http://www.mediafire.com/?e5nj7ixnaxr6h4x

When you play, you both need to use the same Gamepad Input, either you both use DInput or you both use SDL.

Has to be the same for both players.

Make sure Final Destination is the only stage on Random Select.

After Dying, wait 5 seconds before continuing. Dying off the top is random, its either you die as a shooting star or instantly.

PeachEater74

Smash Apprentice
good games, though lots of desyncs, we were able to get in a couple of games.

I urge everyone to look at this CPU Chart:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-core-i5-2500k-amd-e350,2843-6.html

Im guessing that you need at least a Tier 3 CPU for flawless Melee Online.
The matches we could get through were really good, but we DC'd a lot, not 100% sure why yet, I think more testing with more people will do good to figure out all the kinks and whatnot.

WarriorKnight

Smash Ace
I'm down to play some right now. I'm in NY. My AIM is Queenzplaya087. Mine seems to be running perfect.

edit..
I have my own full save for Melee on my newer dolphin release and everything is unlocked.

When I downloaded the version above, I couldnt get any save to load in order to unlock everything.

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
The version for download already has a save file.

Start the game. If it says corrupted: Format it + Save New Game File.

Exit Game.

You should see " GALE_SuperSmashBros0110290334.gci " in the folder somewhere.

Under Tools -> Memcard Manager: Browse for Memory Card A thats in: "Netplay 64-bit Dolphin R6225\Dolphin R6225\User\GC"

After Selecting Memory Card A, hit "Delete" at the bottom of the window.

Then select: Import GCI, and find "GALE_SuperSmashBros0110290334.gci."

Finished.

PeachEater74

Smash Apprentice
I'm down to play some right now. I'm in NY. My AIM is Queenzplaya087. Mine seems to be running perfect.

edit..
I have my own full save for Melee on my newer dolphin release and everything is unlocked.

When I downloaded the version above, I couldnt get any save to load in order to unlock everything.
I'm down to try sometime, AIM is Superflanker623, also NY.

GreatRit

Smash Cadet
The version for download already has a save file.

Start the game. If it says corrupted: Format it + Save New Game File.

Exit Game.

You should see " GALE_SuperSmashBros0110290334.gci " in the folder somewhere.

Under Tools -> Memcard Manager: Browse for Memory Card A thats in: "Netplay 64-bit Dolphin R6225\Dolphin R6225\User\GC"

After Selecting Memory Card A, hit "Delete" at the bottom of the window.

Then select: Import GCI, and find "GALE_SuperSmashBros0110290334.gci."

Finished.
says something about the E:/ file, how do I convert this back to the C:/ file?

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
Options -> Configure - > Gamecube - > Under Device Settings -> Slot A - > Memory Card - > [...]

Under "Netplay 64-bit Dolphin R6225\Dolphin R6225\User\GC", choose MemoryCardA.USA.raw

GreatRit

Smash Cadet
what should I use to record gameplay? I can't figure out how the frame by frames work.

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
how about lan is that ever worth trying? cause my computer is pretty bad : (

Hydro_Smasher

Smash Journeyman
What kind of setup would I need to play smash online? I'm buying a pc with 3.00ghz 6 cores with ati integrated graphics, will the graphics card be an issue?

What kind of setup would I need to play smash online? I'm buying a pc with 3.00ghz 6 cores with ati integrated graphics, will the graphics card be an issue?
0_0

You're worried? [color=#2121]are you?[/color]

But on reread, I don't know

Korrupshen

Smash Ace
Online is unstable the last time I checked. It desyncs before you even get to finish a match. The most stocks I played without it desyncing was 3.

@Hydro_Smasher
I wouldn't go with a integrated graphics card especially if you wanna change/ upgrade it in the future. Go discrete its more powerful than integrated cards. Integrated cards slows down your pc because it steals the RAM to make its own VRAM. Dedicated/Discrete GPUs eat battery time and make more heat, but that wouldn't be much of a problem since the cpu isn't sitting on your lap like a laptop would so. If you choose a graphics card I'll go with discrete.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2404-7.html

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
Online is unstable the last time I checked.
Not the games I played yo.

WarriorKnight's Bowser 0-death'd me :(

Lag that happens is not the lag you normally know.

Everything runs at full speed. Its the desyncs that happen. If a person desyncs, meaning if they pressed a button but that input did not register on the other player, each player will have different percents if the attack hits, different positioning, etc. You sometimes get to see a player run right off the edge swinging his sword wildly as you watch. On his screen though, he is comboing.

Korrupshen

Smash Ace
Not the games I played yo.

WarriorKnight's Bowser 0-death'd me :(

Lag that happens is not the lag you normally know.

Everything runs at full speed. Its the desyncs that happen. If a person desyncs, meaning if they pressed a button but that input did not register on the other player, each player will have different percents if the attack hits, different positioning, etc. You sometimes get to see a player run right off the edge swinging his sword wildly as you watch. On his screen though, he is comboing.
Lol thats what I'm talking about. Me and some guy was playing on Final Destination while I saw him just attacking off screen and I'm like wtf. Then I noticed he desync'd. We finished a couple a matches, but wasn't able to play 4 stock matches. The game runs at full speed, but online as far as now isn't stable. Unless your using a different build of dolphin. I tried a couple of builds and none of them made a difference.

What dolphin revision you were using ?
I don't have the build I was using to play online now since I deleted it back in "010, but I know it was a revision in the R2000 series or the R3000 series.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Does this only work with a GC controller plugged in or should it be possible to use with a keyboard(would atleast be nice for checking frametadata)?
EDIT: Any specific version of melee needed?

malva00

Smash Master
is it true you have to have enable dual core unchecked to play online without desync?

also, why are you using this version and not another version?

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Will a core i5 (sandy bridge) + Intel HD graphics 3000 be good enough to run melee at 60 fps?

I'm pretty sure the processor is fine, it has hyper threading so essentially 4 cores. But not so sure about Intel HD graphics 3000? I have read that the sandy bridge processors have doubled HD 3000 graphics performance capability so I'm hoping that means yes.

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
You can use a GC to USB adapter, keyboard, joystick, etc. Doesnt matter what controller or input you use. It will work most of the time.

Version of melee makes no difference.
---

Whatever settings is enabled / disabled in the netplay dolphin config that is available for download in this topic are the recommended settings to stop desyncing.

---

Refer to this Chart:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card-game-performance-radeon-hd-6670,2935-7.html

I'd say a minimum of Tier 7. With Tier 7 starting with the GTX 260. Top of the list is top tier. Top 3 is overkill.

---

You missed the Top Tier Combo @ Newegg. $700 PC.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Bleh I hope you're wrong haha. I want to play some melee online.

And btw guys you're always going to have to deal with desyncs. We still deal with them with ssb64 online and thats been around since 2002/2003. The desyncs will be less frequent as dolphin improves but they will always be there.

malva00

Smash Master
Version of melee makes no difference.
sorry I meant dolphin. why are you using the one posted in this topic and not another one?

does this mean you know this one is the best for melee netplay, or you haven't tried any newer ones and are sticking with what works (or kind of works)?

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Wow, awesome!

Does anybody know of a good adapter for using my GNC controller or possibly a wavebird?

:phone:

malva00

Smash Master
I have a tier 7 GPU and tier 4 CPU

1vs1/no items/offline stays at 59FPS the majority of the time on normal priority, but it can go to 57,58,60 for a second or more depending on the stage

mute city gives me 57-58 more often than other stages, but if I put dolphin on high priority, i get 59 most of the time there too

Top Bottom