• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee on Switch

20XXwingleborgXxx

Smash Apprentice
Pros
-higher quality on streams
-No need for heavy CRTs
-L canceling, wavedash ect will stay if it is real emulation.
-it will maybe be in HD
-Most likley have gamecube adapter support because smash4 will also get a port
-Easier accessible (bigger audiance)

Cons
-most likely no online
-Nintendo can fu*k up alot of the great things i listed above + more
-Conflict about what a propper setup will be
-PAL vs NTSC
-it can all be rumors
-More CRTs will die :(

Last edited:

Pauer

The Pauerful
I think we shouldn't make a big fuzz about it since it's just some rumors for now. But here are my thoughts.

Since it's on VC and not a remake, I am confident that there will be no balance or visual updates (progressive mode quality tho). I think that's a very good thing since it would eliminate a lot of controversy. I've heard a lot of negative feedback regarding the emulation accuracy of the Wii U VC by retro gaming enthusiasts. If there were any issues with the emulation or lag caused be the (virtual) console, that would of course be an immediate deal-breaker.

Another possible issue for Melee players in the US will be whether both the NTSC and PAL version will be available or only the PAL version, since it was the last version of the game. Even if an NTSC version were available, I think there will still be a lot of controversy around setups. After all, a low latency Monitor is very expensive and I am sure that sub-par monitor setups will be a issue.

My best guess is that if Melee comes out on the VC, Nintendo will mess it up in some aspect so that you cannot use it as a substitute for GC/Wii + CRT setups. Unless there are online capabilities, I don't think the VC version can gather enough interest from competitive players to "split" the community or anything of that sort.

The VC version will definitely gather lot of attention, bring in lots of new people but I think all serious melee players will stay with their GCs and Wiis.

Raycu

Smash Apprentice
I don't personally think it matters that much, if the switch isn't what we want, we probably just won't use it.

JFB (JurgaBurgaFlintines)

Smash Apprentice
People are overhyping this tbh. If anything, the game will be untouched and emulated through the Switch. No changes are going to be made and they are just going to be releasing NTSC because that was the original version.

20XXwingleborgXxx

Smash Apprentice
People are overhyping this tbh. If anything, the game will be untouched and emulated through the Switch. No changes are going to be made and they are just going to be releasing NTSC because that was the original version.
To play melee on a LCD has been a dream for many over years! (Not overhyped imo)
and how do you know that they will use the ntsc version???

JFB (JurgaBurgaFlintines)

Smash Apprentice
I would say they would release the NTSC version because it's the most popular and probably plentiful version of Melee.

About playing Melee on an LCD screen, wouldn't the game just look bad? If Nintendo is just releasing VC Melee, it will probably still be in its "4:3" aspect ratio at 480i/480p. This would make the game either look stretched or have black bars on the sides of the screen.

Last edited:

Pauer

The Pauerful
I would say they would release the NTSC version because it's the most popular and probably plentiful version of Melee.
I doubt they would go with that sort of reasoning. I think either
-both versions
-only NTSC or PAL depending on where you live
-only PAL
will be available.

I also don't see why black bars on the side would be a problem. I play netplay a lot and that really doesn't bother me at all.

Maximoto99

Smash Rookie
NNID
Momagain99
But can you plug in a gamecube controller?

Last edited:

Raycu

Smash Apprentice
I'd assume that at least adapters will work. Nintendo has shown so far that they understand people enjoy gamecube controllers.

Mr Snak3_

Smash Apprentice
If the version of it depends on the country chosen in settings then brb making it american for ntsc
PALco sucks

Top Bottom