• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee on HDTVs

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
Have you already run the test again on the LGP? I'm interested in hearing the exact delay for that one.
I want to make a full video explaining the technique and the results... But here are the videos using the technique I described in my previous post:

CRT:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/21fyr52dsfmm8j8/CRTTest.MOV
http://www.mediafire.com/download/3kztq5nbgb9m8s4/CRTTest3.MOV

LCD + LGP:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/uciqytl4bvq400v/LCDTest.MOV
http://www.mediafire.com/download/46fieh6q00965sk/LCDTest2.MOV

The current result is that using a BenQ RL2455HM + LGP for Component to HDMI conversion, the lag appears to be about 1-2 recording frames (4-8 ms) compared to this particular CRT.

I still have a variety of things I want to do:
1) Record at higher FPS
2) Test some more CRTs
3) Improve the pause sound detection device to take the audio input directly
4) Test more component to hdmi converters. I bought http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009EA7ZUA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i04?ie=UTF8&psc=1. There are 2 other ones available on amazon but I didn't feel like shelling out $100+ atm.
5) Test some more monitors (Which I have to find a way to acquire)

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
For the time being the only monitors that require thorough testing are the ASUS VH236H, ASUS VH238H, and BenQ RL2455HM. Any competitive players serious about practicing for fighting game events will have one of those, and given that most dedicated Smash players will still just opt for the CRT option they've already got, those three are relevant due to EVO and major tournament hosts (Road to EVO events, levelup series) using those as their primary hardware.

Since you're currently the most up-to-date on testing hardware, methods, and hardware to be tested, I'd be willing to fund you the $150 or so required for an ASUS VH238H if you don't already have one...

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
I was thinking of actually asking ASUS themselves with the promise of advertising the results. Don't know if they'd be interested. There's also the other BenQ monitors. This monitor is technically their RTS monitor... But I expect the other similar monitors probably use the same hardware.

Edit:
http://www.benq.us/product/monitor/gl2450hm/
This one is their "console" gaming monitor.

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
Oh sick. Well.. maybe once I get the video up we should try to start some tweeting to MLG to try to promote getting us on their circuit.

The only thing that's a bit annoying is like... on a light background (dream land and FD in the cloud area), there's like some strange ghosting behind character movement. Maybe I can try tweaking settings to make it go away.

But honestly the monitor feels really really good to play on.

The Mofo

Smash Apprentice
Getting rid of ghosting is one of the reasons for lag on LCD displays.

kiw1

Smash Apprentice
tested in home on some private lcds.. all i can say for everyone:

if you want to play on a LCD you HAVE to get one of these 3 monitors, my standard one was okayish.. though i wouldn't ever play tournament on it. On my tv it was just the same but i think i should've known that beforehand

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
regarding Hauppauge: Worse than AverMedia LGP and $150.00. Seriously not worth getting compared to just waiting for a major tournament where AverMedia releases a $30 discount code.

regarding HDFury: Pretty sure most of their stuff is for stripping HDCP encryption from HDMI, or converting HDMI to component/composite, not the other way around.

kiw1

Smash Apprentice
regarding Hauppauge: Worse than AverMedia LGP and $150.00. Seriously not worth getting compared to just waiting for a major tournament where AverMedia releases a $30 discount code.

regarding HDFury: Pretty sure most of their stuff is for stripping HDCP encryption from HDMI, or converting HDMI to component/composite, not the other way around.
if u look around more, you can acutually find Component -> DVI cable..and most of the monitors got DVI input (for example the Evo monitors have them)

Also found this:

http://dx.com/p/dvi-24-5-male-to-component-video-female-adapter-72812

killazys

Smash Cadet
Based on your youtube video: 3.33ms is barely 20% of one frame. I think that should be acceptable for tournament use.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
The one scar used apparently had 11ms and everyone except silent wolf seemed to feel fine and it looked fine to me. So if you can get almost 1/4 the lag of that I think it's great. Especially since like aisight said, aver media will most definitely release a promo code and bth asus and benq do them frequently for FGC tournaments as well.

I think level up live has a 50$ promo code for refurbished Evo monitors.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
No, levelup is sponsored by BenQ. EVO uses Asus VH236H, MLG uses BenQ RL2455HM. Asus VH236H is no longer being manufactured, but VH238H is equivalent in all technology except for backlight.

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
People have always assumed CRTs are lagless. The one I used at least must have had a little because there is no LCD monitor that is under like 9 ms according to the websites that quantify lag.

kiw1

Smash Apprentice
People have always assumed CRTs are lagless. The one I used at least must have had a little because there is no LCD monitor that is under like 9 ms according to the websites that quantify lag.

of course crts got lag, a television with 0ms delay is impossible. (transfer, production of the image, speed of light(lol)) . When people refer to 0 lag they mean it's ALMOST instant, which most crts provide as a standard.

then the lcd/plasma tvs came and the technology created great pictures but with much more delay, which is fine for everyday normal people

Kadano

Magical Express
I’ve read a recent monitor review on Prad.de that found input lags (yes, input lag; not reaction time) between 2.3 ms (120 hz mode) and 3.9 ms (60 hz mode) on the ASUS VG248QE. I assume those are for native input and they didn’t write anything about scaling latency, so for 480p it’s probably a few ms more.

So I don't mean to undercut your guys' testing and progress - It's actually really good, thanks for it all - but I think we've come to the end of this debate now.

Let's address this:

People have always assumed CRTs are lagless. The one I used at least must have had a little because there is no LCDmonitor that is under like 9 ms according to the websites that quantify lag.
I'm going to frame everything for you:

For the game to render a frame, from input to render, the time is going to be 1-2 frames' worth, or somewhere around 25ms.

The amount of ms of lag being discussed (5-10) about must be considered relative to the amount of a ms in a single frame: 16.67ms.

CRTs, though virtually lagless (<1ms) in design and in the handling of the signal, still apply post-processing, sometimes up to a frame or more*.

In fact, I'd wager that most CRTs people play on can lag just as much or more as the LCDs being described here.

The very fact that you've shown that - with a proper converter - Melee can be played as near lagless as a CRT can be, with the proper monitor, I think, signals the end of the debate, since the relative lag given by many CRTs is roughly the same as the lag given by these newer monitors, with the given proper cables and conversion hardware.

In short, while there are still some CRTs that produce virtually lagless play, the debate between whether a monitor gives 5ms or 10ms is negligible to the bigger picture. Melee can be played on HDTVs now without lag.

The only small hurdle we might have now is a slight visual problem like the one Fizzi mentioned with the weird ghosting, as you can see in one of his screenshots.

I'm thinking a stickied thread should be made that just pithily gets to the point and describes how and where you can get the stuff to play Melee on an HDTV, while still referencing all the threads and posts that discuss the technical difficulties of defining this debate much further. I can compile a list of sources if you'd like, but I think until now, there's been bits of misinformation present in every thread or post about this topic thus far, and it seems it'd be nice if we could have a definitive say on what we know and don't know for sure. Except now, I think the "don't know" section has gotten negligibly small (minus the controller and console problem that's posed in the other thread, but for display purposes, it seems this discussion is coming to an end).

*as significantly noted by ajp anton and myself here (and here) and here (and here).

Bones0

Smash Legend
If there are monitors out there that lag less than the average CRT, that's great, but I'm not sure it's entirely relevant to the majority of the tournament scene. Tournaments will still use CRTs almost exclusively. They are much more cost effective and easy to acquire because of how abundant they are. They also come with a 95% guarantee of lagless Melee whereas only a small percentage of monitors are playable, and even those that are playable need certain converters, display modes, and people have no way of reliably knowing how much lag they are playing on. I guess we could potentially see monitors being used exclusively for recording setups to increase video/stream quality, but outside of that and personal use it isn't that major. Even the personal use thing is an issue because there will be tons of people with suboptimal setups that don't realize it until someone plays on it and tells them it lags. When we inevitably get to the point where a fairly large array of monitors can be used with less lag than CRTs, then I think it'd be worth making a transition.

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
I was asked to comment here:

Most CRTs have a lot of lag. And not to sound biased or anything, but from my experience from tournaments, American TVs lag more than European ones.
Saying that the most lag-free LCDs lag less than the most laggy CRTs don't really make those LCDs free of lag.

Without really measuring the lag, I'm really the wrong person to ask, because I would probably always say "it lags" about LCDs, because I say that about most CRTs. If you want a "good enough for most people", you either need someone with a representative sensitivity to lag to comment, or you need to actually measure the lag and agree on some kind of limit.

Bones- Yeah. But the debate. If there are monitors out now that people can buy (the select 3 or 4 or whatever), and converters too (the 2 or 3 that have been tested), the argument might as well be brought to 'public' attention, with a resource that people can go to if they really wanted to invest in it, which could be upgraded in the future. Of course I have no need to upgrade to an HDTV for anything. But I appreciate the resolution of the situation, since people still ask the question or give 'mis'information.

ajp- Agreed. Thus, I think for here, the "average american crt" should be the "limit", while a 'truly' lagless CRT could be a sort of gold standard. (Also, it seems the comb filters can be bypassed when working with S- or component video, since they only apply to composite signal, or so I've read. So even with a laggy CRT, with the right cables it can be played as lagless.)

Also I bought a dazzle in '06 for my crappy computer come at me homie (but I will probably soon upgrade to Avisynth and move on from using my vfw x264 codecs drivers to the cl ones...)

Pay

Smash Rookie
Danville, CA (Summer), St. Louis, MO (School Year)
I’ve read a recent monitor review on Prad.de that found input lags (yes, input lag; not reaction time) between 2.3 ms (120 hz mode) and 3.9 ms (60 hz mode) on the ASUS VG248QE. I assume those are for native input and they didn’t write anything about scaling latency, so for 480p it’s probably a few ms more.

Actually, the 2.3 ms delay is when the monitor is running at 144Hz. If one was to play melee on the monitor though, only the 60Hz refresh rate would be utilized since Smash runs at 60 fps. The delay is still quite minimal without a doubt, but because of price, this ASUS monitor isn't really feasible for tournament play. I'm actually planning on picking one up this Christmas to compliment my ASUS VS248HP, which I previously used for smash and other console games.

EDIT: Just realized that the HDMI port on the VG248QE caps at 120Hz (due to the port being only HDMI 1.4), and that only the Display Port and DVI port can output the max refresh rate of 144Hz. Nevertheless, we still can't utilize the max potential frame rate because of Smash's capped fps.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I will be purchasing this in the next week or so......

http://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/VG248QE/

I've heard that the average crt has close to 16-17ms of lag. This guarantees 1ms in full HD, let alone 480. Regardless, I'm really good at recognizing lag and will post my input/feedback after hours of gameplay.

People love their crt's lol. I'd rather carry a 5lb flat screen.... this could potentially be a good thing for gaming organizations/sponsors to invest in. Venue fees could pay for one and have it go to the winner of a side tourney or whatever... I'm just throwing stuff out there but it would be nice if gameplay was sick on these... super smooth, better looking, virtually lagless melee. Would be nice, and potentially really good for melee/the tournament scene imo.

Pay

Smash Rookie
Danville, CA (Summer), St. Louis, MO (School Year)
Where did you hear this? Also there will still be some lag from the signal upconverting to the native res of the monitor, unless you have a separate converter.

He might mean the 1 frame delay for inputs to actually occur (since actions will always take place on the next frame). Even so, his stats are off on the VG248QE. Doesn't seem knowledgeable on the subject.

He might mean the 1 frame delay for inputs to actually occur (since actions will always take place on the next frame). Even so, his stats are off on the VG248QE. Doesn't seem knowledgeable on the subject.
Yeah I noticed the stats... good call.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I have the thing but no way to actually test it. I guess if there's extremely noticeable lag I'll let you know?

stelzig

Smash Lord
This capture card has started randomly dropping signal very briefly for me. Isn't noticeable on recording/stream (at least viewers never commented on it, and I try to use it as a backup screen sometimes). I use the benq rl2455hm and it takes a few seconds for it to get the image back when it's lost so i'm guessing it's because it's only lost very briefly, but my monitor is just slow.

ANYWAY didn't always do it and I was wondering if anyone here knows why it would suddenly happen? I think it's only a problem with the AV in input. Wouldn't know for sure though since I currently have only really used my wii and my ps3 with it and they both use that one.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Seems to be caused by plugging a controller into any system running off of the same power strip. Not entirely sure what a guaranteed solution is, yet.

stelzig

Smash Lord
I read that somewhere else too. Tried plugging in/out stuff to see if I could force it and I couldn't. But I guess plugging my laptop into a seperate power strip should work then?

Someone also suggested that it could be a USB power thing (though my capture card never actually turns off completely...) so right now i'm trying to use my TVs USB port just to see if the signal will stay. Since it doesn't happen *too* often though, it's kinda hard to confirm if it's working or not... But at least it's been working for an hour - might try using a different USB port on my laptop if it keeps working.

Edit: Right. Happened with the TVs USB port too now. :(
Edit2: Hooking my laptop up to a more lonely power strip and I had it run for a little over 2 hours without problems. Then just as I was about to stop and plugged out the AC adaptor... It happened again. Tried to force it that way and I couldn't, but I doubt that was a coincidence, and I guess it may indeed be the problem. So I guess i'll stick to this strip for now and see how it works out :)

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
stelzig, I've seen this problem as well with it powered from my computer. My sense is still that it's some kind of input voltage stability issue that causes it.. Try using like a cell phone USB wall outlet or something maybe?

In my case it needs to be plugged into my computer because I use it to stream my speedruns. It's pretty horrible when it happens during a good run but it generally happens so infrequently it's remotely acceptable. Certainly disappointing though - I've been meaning to complain to the company but I've been lazy.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I agree that it's a major problem; even worse, the surges have a random chance of interfering with the video capture, whether via RECentral or PC free mode, without any indication whatsoever.

I left some posts on their social media outlets, since their message boards are apparently down; if I don't see a response this week I'll probably create a support ticket.

stelzig

Smash Lord
Nice. Keep me updated if you hear anything :)
I also get a gradual audio delay in OBS. Usually gets noticeable after 30-60 minutes. quickly disabling/enabling it fixes it, but a bit annoying. Amarec also fixes it, but using that extra cpu on my laptop just for audio is also a bit annoying. Any known explanations to this one also very appreciated :p

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Stream Engine has its issues. That's the only explanation I can give on that.

crush

Smash Master
on asusvh238h what viewing mode should i use for 480p smash ? i usually use scenery but idk wats best for least amount of input lag

and what about benq rl2455hm

Top Bottom