• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Netplay - The Future is Now (New and improved!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luo_Zhao

Smash Rookie
The new production run of the mayflash 2-port adapter does support analog L and R buttons. The first production run did not. So you have to make sure you order one of the new ones

stelzig

Smash Lord
So I got the raphnet adaptor and am experiencing some input delay on it. Anything I can do about it or do I just have to deal with it? :)

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
You definitely shouldn't need the master code. Actually, I've never gotten any of the codes included in dolphin to work at all.

What version of Melee are you using? Keep in mind only 1.02 is supported by IE's code.
Also note that there are several different versions of the iso floating around. You may very well have one of the ones with messed up offsets that just don't work. Have you tried other disc images?

Additionally, I'm told others (besides myself) have located the spot in the source that allows them to alter the frame timings, forcing the game into the equivalent of the 30fps or 45fps modes, negating the need for an AR code, but as far as I know such builds are still unreleased.
My version of Dolphin allows 30 fps anyways so that's not a problem. I had 1.0 and I upgraded to 1.02. Before the new Dolphin came out the Debug menu code worked. Now it doesn't. It's weird

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
Turn off DWM in Windows to get rid of the input delay afflicting some controllers. I'll put that into the FAQ when we do our next release.

30 FPS hack is only in our builds for right now, and because it only works on about 4 games it probably won't be put into the main dolphin branch.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I hate to be "that guy", but can anyone tell me if I'll be able to play on this computer? I'm also curious if I'd be able to run other PC games (like Counterstrike) well. I'm so clueless about comps it's not even funny. :/

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
I hate to be "that guy", but can anyone tell me if I'll be able to play on this computer? I'm also curious if I'd be able to run other PC games (like Counterstrike) well. I'm so clueless about comps it's not even funny. :/
Don't make me laugh. For a laptop, an i7 is required.

As for input lag, DWM = Aero. Save your current theme if need be, then switch to Windows Basic. That should remove most of the lag. If it doesn't, it's your monitor.

stelzig

Smash Lord
Turn off DWM in Windows to get rid of the input delay afflicting some controllers. I'll put that into the FAQ when we do our next release.

30 FPS hack is only in our builds for right now, and because it only works on about 4 games it probably won't be put into the main dolphin branch.
Nice it worked. Thanks ^_^
Well I still think there's a small bit of input delay, but it helped alot! :)

Edit: Aww, I take that back. As soon as I had to time something based on sound, the delay was quite clear :( (still not bad, but definitely there :p)

Edit2: Fishaman: I'm managing it with an i5 on a laptop. From what i've been told, dolphin doesn't benefit from quad-core either.

p1ns

Smash Cadet
My version of Dolphin allows 30 fps anyways so that's not a problem. I had 1.0 and I upgraded to 1.02. Before the new Dolphin came out the Debug menu code worked. Now it doesn't. It's weird
¿Online play is restricted to 30 FPS? I have not understand well what you have said.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Don't make me laugh. For a laptop, an i7 is required.

As for input lag, DWM = Aero. Save your current theme if need be, then switch to Windows Basic. That should remove most of the lag. If it doesn't, it's your monitor.
I don't even know what an i7 is... lol...

I don't actually have the computer yet, but I was going to buy it tonight so I was just wondering if it would work. Oh well, thank you.

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
I don't even know what an i7 is... lol...

I don't actually have the computer yet, but I was going to buy it tonight so I was just wondering if it would work. Oh well, thank you.
The i7 is a processor class from Intel. AMD is sh*t for gaming, so don't even consider them.

i3 - Entry-level; okay on desktop, unacceptable on laptops
i5 - "Gaming Standard"; great on desktop, okay on laptops
i7 - "The Boss"; OMGWTF on desktops, great on laptops

Also, Dolphin only uses 2 main cores, and a little bit of a third for the sound. Hyperthreading does not count as a core.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for this post being a bit of an info dump, but I want to make sure I answer everyone's questions.

Online play is not restricted to 30 fps, but a lot of people with midrange and slower computers use a hack in our version of dolphin (and a code in others) that allow the game to cut the framerate in half to make it play faster. That way, they don't experience slowdown despite their computers not being quite fast enough to play full speed.

Some of the third gen i5 laptops are actually fast enough to play Melee at full speed, but I highly recommend getting a laptop with dedicated graphics if you want to have a good experience.

Dolphin's max benefit is from a quadcore because it can use 3 cores (GPU, CPU, Audio DSP) while letting the OS use the fourth core. This will probably change at some point, and I'm sure there are a little things that can use other cores, but for the most part I recommend a quadcore computer for Dolphin.

For people with input delay, try using an xbox 360 controller or bluetooth connected Wiimote, and see if the delay is still there before blaming dolphin. If we're having input delay and it is the fault of dolphin, I'll look into the matter more with them, but a lot of adapters tend to add input lag, and Windows isn't exactly good at handling generic drivers. The Microsoft drivers for their controllers can work around DWM and other things in the OS.

Bones0, your laptop should be okay with the 30 fps hack on, at least, I think it will. I'm not an expert in AMD processors; I'd at least give it a shot.

stelzig

Smash Lord
Well for what it's worth, I tried using the same adapter in project64 and felt the input delay was lower.

Note that I didn't test it in melee, but in super mario sunshine which i'm speedrunning and wanted savestates for practice :p

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I'll inquire about it then. I know when using a Wiimote connected via bluetooth for Wii games there is next to no lag, but, maybe there is a way to lower latency on other controllers.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Whenever I download and try to open dolphin I get this error:

"The program can't start because VCOMP100.DLL is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

Any ideas what the problem is?

Melty Venus

Smash Cadet
That worked, thnx KP.

Now how do I implement this 30 fps hack?
Right click on the Melee ISO > properties > "AR codes" tab > add > paste the code and add a name > OK

Then go back to the list of AR codes and put a check on the 30 fps box to enable it.

Make sure your Melee version is 1.02 or else it won't work.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I have no idea what version my melee iso is. It just says ssbm.gcm and that's it.

But when I try to right click on it in the dolphin iso list, it gives me errors. So I'm assuming it's not the right version?

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
I have no idea what version my melee iso is. It just says ssbm.gcm and that's it.

But when I try to right click on it in the dolphin iso list, it gives me errors. So I'm assuming it's not the right version?
Find someone with a softmodded Wii, copy of melee and have a 2gb+ USB 2.0 flash drive.
E
Cleanrip an ISO yourself with CleanRip

himynameisruss

Smash Journeyman
for some reason when i try to load melee from my brother's PC (windows 7 x64), it crashes.

i'm using the same setup, dolphin version and game image that i'm using on my computer (windows 8 x64), and it works fine.

also, i'd like to try the 32 bit version of the newest dolphin but the link isn't working, anyone have a good link?

MattNF

Smash Lord
Is someone available to test online play ? Please PM me.
There's a couple people that come to the Steam chat (see my sig) if you have Steam.

If you have steam but no games (and thus unable to join chatrooms) let me know and i can give you a copy of dota 2.

p1ns

Smash Cadet
There's a couple people that come to the Steam chat (see my sig) if you have Steam.

If you have steam but no games (and thus unable to join chatrooms) let me know and i can give you a copy of dota 2.
Thank you for the links. Yes I have steam, I'm not in my usual computer, when I got home I'll join the steam group.

z4kn4f3in

Smash Rookie
Hey !

I've just read parts of the thread (great work btw), and I've some questions for u :
- Is the 3.0-815 release the last one that include ur work?
- I wanna play some SSBB too: is it going to work with ur release, or do I have to use the normal release (3.5-336)?
- Here's my config:
i7-920 currently stock (I can oc it to 3.4/3.5ghz if necessary)
GTX285
6go de ram
=> Is it going to work?

Thank you, and keep the good work :)
@+

p1ns

Smash Cadet
Hey !

I've just read parts of the thread (great work btw), and I've some questions for u :
- Is the 3.0-815 release the last one that include ur work?
- I wanna play some SSBB too: is it going to work with ur release, or do I have to use the normal release (3.5-336)?
- Here's my config:
i7-920 currently stock (I can oc it to 3.4/3.5ghz if necessary)
GTX285
6go de ram
=> Is it going to work?

Thank you, and keep the good work :)
@+
That hardware won't have any problem to run smash. If you want to test online play send me a message.

z4kn4f3in

Smash Rookie
Well i've tried it in solo for now, and it's not really convincing ! I've big fps drop on certain map, when in others it's working perfectly, kind of weird.
What should we play in multi to avoid fps drop?

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
I've done some research, and while it doesn't exactly make sense, it turns out Brawl may actually run faster than Melee in Dolphin. So if you can run Melee, there's a good chance you can run Brawl.

Getting Brawl to sync is much more difficult though, I can't help you there. I just know it can be done.

Edit: Also, pretty much anyone with i7s will be able to run 99% of the game fine (FoD is an exception due to a difficult to emulate effect) and most i5s also will run it fine on netplay.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
Depends on the converter and your computer. Some people have problems, others don't. The best thing to rely on is the other players who have tested multiple computers and converters.

z4kn4f3in

Smash Rookie
Well SSBB seems to not desynch with low FPS settings, or audio throttle, but when we run it in full speed we are instantly desynch (even when selecting character sometimes). The best settings was No dual core, no sound, with 40fps limit, we have done a complete combat with this settings, but it's a little.. slow :p
I'll try to play SSBM online tonight, but it's kind of weird: I've tested it in solo, and it's freezing like hell on certain map, when it's perfect on others. With dual core enabled :/
Btw should I let Dual core and HLE enabled for netplay on SSBM, or is it risky?
We are using the 3.0-815 since yesterday, is it better than playing with the last Dolphin release even for SSBB? Or maybe only for SSBM?
Thx !

Massive

Smash Champion
Despite some recent improvements in determinism from HLE sound emulation, dual core mode will still desync on any gamecube/wii game.

Single core mode is still your best shot at not desyncing, but good luck playing the game at full speed with it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom