• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee netplay questions? please help <3

Greed-checkTheTek

Smash Ace
So let me start off by saying that I'm 15 and my birthday is in 2 weeks, I convinced my parents to buy me a laptop but our price range is around 100-200$ which is obviously not a lot of money but it's what I can work with as of right now.So I'm planning to buy a laptop on ebay that is used, not a gaming laptop just a regular office type laptop .I'm looking at different types of toshiba satellite laptops.I'm mostly going to use the laptop for melee netplay and ssb64 netplay.The question that I have is which of these laptops run melee decently enough for me to enjoy online matches? I'll post some specs in about 15 minutes.
I need netplay really badly because there is no local smashers where I live.

Last edited:

Greed-checkTheTek

Smash Ace
1. 150$ Toshiba Satellite L75D-A7283 17"

Hard Drive
Hard Drive750 GB

Graphics Processing Type:Integrated/On-Board Graphics

Processor
ProcessorAMD A-Series (1.5 GHz)
2.150$
Features/Specifications:
  • Toshiba Satellite C55T-A5222 Touchscreen Celeron 1005M Dual-Core 1.9GHz 15.6" Notebook
  • General Features:
  • Color: Black
  • Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit pre-installed
  • Intel Celeron 1005M Dual-Core 1.9GHz processor
  • 4GB DDR3 SDRAM
  • 500GB HDD
  • DVD-SuperMulti drive
  • Mobile Intel HD Graphics
  • HD Webcam & Microphone
  • 10/100 Ethernet LAN
  • Wi-Fi Wireless networking (802.11b/g/n)
  • Memory Card Reader
  • Security Cable Lock Slot
  • 15.6-inch HD TruBrite LED Backlit Touch Screen display (1366 x 768)
  • I/O Ports:
  • One (1) HDMI port
  • One (1) 15-pin VGA port
  • One (1) USB 3.0 port
  • Two (2) USB 2.0 ports
  • One (1) RJ-45 Ethernet jack
  • One (1) card reader slot
  • One (1) 3.5 mm Microphone in jack
  • One (1) 3.5 mm Headphone out jack
  • Supported Media:
  • Secure Digital (SD)
  • Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC)
  • Secure Digital Extended Capacity (SDXC)
  • MultiMediaCard (MMC)
  • Battery Specifications:
  • 6-Cell Lithium-Ion battery
  • 48 Wh
  • Unit Dimensions:
  • 1.39 x 14.96 x 9.53-inches (H x W x D)
  • Weight: 5 lbs

3.150$

Toshiba Satellite (L735D-S3102) AMD E300 Laptop - #R3523

Processor: Amd E300

Processor Speed: 1.3 ghz

Ram: 4 gb

Hard Drive: 320 gb

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium

4. 90$ Toshiba Satellite A135-S7403 Windows 7 Ultimate
Toshiba Satellite A135-S7403
Windows 7 Ultimate
2GB RAM,
Intel Celeron E/1600 1.73Ghz
80GB Hard Drive

5. 200$ (only cheap gaming laptop I found)

Dell Precision M6300 17' Dual Core Gaming Laptop 2.5GHz 250GB Win7 64-bit
- Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Edition
- Microsoft Office 2007 Professional Edition
- Anti Virus Software
- Wireless Internet Connection
- DVDRW (burns and plays DVDs and CDs)
- Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.5 GHz
- 250GB Hard Drive
- 2 GB Ram
- 17.1" High Quality LCD Display (1440 x900 )
- 6 USB 2.0 Connections

- SC Card Reader slot
- Firewire Connection
- 2nd Battery Connection Support
- Working Battery

Greed-checkTheTek

Smash Ace
So can any of these laptops work to have a smooth melee netplay experience? I'll be playing melee everyday for a couple of hours
Do any of you play melee online regularly without little problems? and give me your specs?
Advice?
Comments?

Holy Wars

Smash Rookie
I would get the Dell one, Emulators like Dolphin, pj64 all run alot better on Intel CPUs over AMD. The only thing wrong with the Dell one (from the specs you've shown) is that the HDD is a little low (200GB) but you can buy harddrives for not too much money, I bought a 1TB (1000 GB) on Amazon for about 40 bucks. the graphics card (or chip in your case) doesn't matter too much for Emulating. Hope this helps, let me know if you need any more help.

Greed-checkTheTek

Smash Ace
I would get the Dell one, Emulators like Dolphin, pj64 all run alot better on Intel CPUs over AMD. The only thing wrong with the Dell one (from the specs you've shown) is that the HDD is a little low (200GB) but you can buy harddrives for not too much money, I bought a 1TB (1000 GB) on Amazon for about 40 bucks. the graphics card (or chip in your case) doesn't matter too much for Emulating. Hope this helps, let me know if you need any more help.
Thanks for the advice Holy wars ! :) I appreciate it. So the hard drive is low? Is melee going to take up that much space because I'm only really going to use this for melee and n64 netplay and maybe streaming a but later...I don't think I'll need much space to be honest.

Holy Wars

Smash Rookie
Tips on downloading the iso from torrents?
Well, im new to these forums and I'm not sure if its against the rules to talk about downloading the roms. But basically you just need to looks up Melee roms and it requires no torrent program. As far as saying the laptop will work? I can't say 100%. Only because I have a completely different computer with an AMD CPU. But out of those laptops that one is the best for playing Melee on an Emulator. I don't see how it couldn't run it, just make sure in Dolphin to make it run on Dual-Core. I cannot post links yet since I am new, but if you look up how to play melee online the first link should be from liquid, use that.

Greed-checkTheTek

Smash Ace
Well, im new to these forums and I'm not sure if its against the rules to talk about downloading the roms. But basically you just need to looks up Melee roms and it requires no torrent program. As far as saying the laptop will work? I can't say 100%. Only because I have a completely different computer with an AMD CPU. But out of those laptops that one is the best for playing Melee on an Emulator. I don't see how it couldn't run it, just make sure in Dolphin to make it run on Dual-Core. I cannot post links yet since I am new, but if you look up how to play melee online the first link should be from liquid, use that.
ok I'll be sure to, Thanks a ton! :)

Holy Wars

Smash Rookie
No problem, if you want to be really sure, I would post on Dolphins forums, most likely the people there will know alot more about it than anyone here.

Narpas_sword

cough cough 1024 GB cough cough
1 TB is 1000 GB.
GB is Gigabyte.

GibiBytes. aka GiB are to the 1024.

1024 GiB = 1 TiB (TebiByte)

COUGH

This is also why when you buy an 8GB stick, and put it in your pc, you feel ripped off when it says '7.45'GB.
(it should say 7.45GiB but windows hasn't changed their unit to GiB, and probably never will, theyre using the JEDEC standard, instead of the IEC standard.)

8GB = 8000000000 bytes.
8000000000 bytes = 7.45 GiB

Manufacturers report the size with the metric GB, not GiB because their 7.45 GiB stick sounds less than the competitors 8GB.

Manufacturers make the best out of a silly situation, but it's the unit being used incorrectly (to an old standard) in windows that causes the user to believe it's less than it is.

Last edited:

heliface

Smash Cadet
I got the dolphin emulator working with the gamecube controller adapter. However, the controller seems to have an input delay. Pushing two buttons almost simultaneously(ie jump and attack) will only register the first press. The utility seems to have a ms setting that helped, but the lowest it goes is 5 ms, which is apparently enough to be a problem.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with the gamecube adapter? And if so, any ideas for a solution?

Thanks!

Cool

Smash Journeyman
I got the dolphin emulator working with the gamecube controller adapter. However, the controller seems to have an input delay. Pushing two buttons almost simultaneously(ie jump and attack) will only register the first press. The utility seems to have a ms setting that helped, but the lowest it goes is 5 ms, which is apparently enough to be a problem.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with the gamecube adapter? And if so, any ideas for a solution?

Thanks!
Well yeah, there can easily be input lag in Dolphin. What are your settings/What CPU do you have?

Narpas_sword

input lag will be a result of not using the official wiiu - gcn adapter in native setting.
and also from your monitor.

search your monitors model number + 'input lag' and see if you can get a result.

Massive

Smash Champion

Thanks!
You are using a really old version if it still has the input delay slider. The latest version is here.
You can turn off the "windows 8 compatibility mode" option and see if it works as well (might not, depending on your system) that gives you the same update method as native support.

Try disabling windows Aero for dolphin and load in fullscreen mode, as that alleviates a lot of delay issues.

Dolphin's native driver works very well as well, but make sure you aren't trying to use both the universal driver and dolphin's native support at the same time.

input lag will be a result of not using the official wiiu - gcn adapter in native setting.
Not true at all. Dolphin and even real gamecubes only read inputs once per frame (for melee, anyway), regardless of where the input is coming from. Even with the adapter set to 5ms you will still be sending inputs faster than dolphin can read them. If you're in interrupt request mode, you will be sending inputs twice per frame (or faster based on your system's USB polling rate).

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

Not true at all. Dolphin and even real gamecubes only read inputs once per frame (for melee, anyway), regardless of where the input is coming from. Even with the adapter set to 5ms you will still be sending inputs faster than dolphin can read them. If you're in interrupt request mode, you will be sending inputs twice per frame (or faster based on your system's USB polling rate).
eh, the difference between the mayflash 2port and the official is day and night to me.

Narpas_sword

yea, thats what I'm saying.

If you use the official adapter with native support, rather than the mayflash, you'll get less input lag.

guess my post didn't really outline what i meant correctly. i should have said 'more input lag is a result of using adapters other than the official in native mode"

heliface

Smash Cadet
You are using a really old version if it still has the input delay slider. The latest version is here.
You can turn off the "windows 8 compatibility mode" option and see if it works as well (might not, depending on your system) that gives you the same update method as native support.

Try disabling windows Aero for dolphin and load in fullscreen mode, as that alleviates a lot of delay issues.

Dolphin's native driver works very well as well, but make sure you aren't trying to use both the universal driver and dolphin's native support at the same time.

Hi,

I upgraded to the newest version of dolphin. I'm still getting ignored inputs(NOT input lag). Hitting jump and A simultaneously will either ignore the jump or the A. This is not the case on a real gamecube. Same goes for any inputs stringed too close together. For example, this makes wavedashing very challenging, if not impossible to do in Dolphin.

I'm using dolphin's native gc adapter settings, not the 3rd party driver. Using a legit official gc adapter. Any ideas? :(

Y-L

Smash Champion
So let me start off by saying that I'm 15 and my birthday is in 2 weeks, I convinced my parents to buy me a laptop but our price range is around 100-200$ which is obviously not a lot of money but it's what I can work with as of right now.So I'm planning to buy a laptop on ebay that is used, not a gaming laptop just a regular office type laptop .I'm looking at different types of toshiba satellite laptops.I'm mostly going to use the laptop for melee netplay and ssb64 netplay.The question that I have is which of these laptops run melee decently enough for me to enjoy online matches? I'll post some specs in about 15 minutes.
I need netplay really badly because there is no local smashers where I live.
I'm sorry but you wont be able to emulate melee on a $100-200 laptop. You're going to need AT LEAST a 3rd gen i3/i5/i7 processor (the cpu is the most important thing for Dolphin, not the graphics card like other pc games!). Just because the game is old, doesn't mean it's easy to run. Dolphin has to translate the game into something a computer can read which takes a lot of work. You'd be better off saving up until you can buy something good, and you should probably get a desktop. You can get way better performance/cost with a desktop over a laptop. Look into building one. Also avoid AMD cpu's, you'll want Intel. Their single thread performance is atricious which is what Dolphin needs. Clockspeed =/= performance and Dolphin can only use two cores (one to emulate the cpu one to emulate the gpu).

Last edited:

Greed-checkTheTek

Smash Ace
Hey im in a similar situation as you were with melee netplay. What pc are u using and is it working good for singles matches?
im using dell optiplex 9010, works great for melee and I also play csgo,Tf2, and Halo so it can run a few games.
cost me about 300$ but now that I think about it i should have built a pc , Im going to build a new pc soon nit because the one I have now is bad I just want to build a custom pc.

LEGENDARY4259

Smash Rookie
im using dell optiplex 9010, works great for melee and I also play csgo,Tf2, and Halo so it can run a few games.
cost me about 300$ but now that I think about it i should have built a pc , Im going to build a new pc soon nit because the one I have now is bad I just want to build a custom pc.
Thanks so much helps a lot!!! I tried searching for your pc and there are many different models. What are your specific computer specs? CPU? Ram?

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
Thanks so much helps a lot!!! I tried searching for your pc and there are many different models. What are your specific computer specs? CPU? Ram?
Probably has a core 2 duo or quad which can barely run the game. Definitely build one instead of buying this. You can get something twice as good for the same price.

LEGENDARY4259

Smash Rookie
Probably has a core 2 duo or quad which can barely run the game. Definitely build one instead of buying this. You can get something twice as good for the same price.
See the thing is i have done quite a lot of research on build vs buy and building is saving money but the thing is once you build your pc you also have to buy the operating system, monitor and keyboard/mouse which already adds about $200 to your budget and i only have a strict $500 dollar budget so i would have to go with amd. But as we all know amd is not good at emulating. I have also tried with the pentium but still it goes over $500. So unfortunately i do have to buy.

Y-L

Smash Champion
See the thing is i have done quite a lot of research on build vs buy and building is saving money but the thing is once you build your pc you also have to buy the operating system, monitor and keyboard/mouse which already adds about $200 to your budget and i only have a strict $500 dollar budget so i would have to go with amd. But as we all know amd is not good at emulating. I have also tried with the pentium but still it goes over $500. So unfortunately i do have to buy.
Old PC's like the Optiplex often come with Windows XP which Dolphin doesn't even support. If you built a pc with that old crappy hardware it would still probably be less.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Jm9X7P

This build destroys the Optiplex in every fashion, includes windows 8, and will be good for both emulation and pc gaming. It only came out to $450 but I didn't include a mouse, keyboard, or monitor. No use in buying those online since you can probably get cheap ones from a recycled pc and it's a waste for the shipping costs. As for a monitor, the cheapest 1080p used monitor is like $100 (the Optiplex wouldn't include a 1080p) so you may want to buy a used one or if you only care for Dolphin you might want to get a crt monitor as they have low lag and are pretty much free. So yeah, definitely go the pc building route.

LEGENDARY4259

Smash Rookie
Old PC's like the Optiplex often come with Windows XP which Dolphin doesn't even support. If you built a pc with that old crappy hardware it would still probably be less.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Jm9X7P

This build destroys the Optiplex in every fashion, includes windows 8, and will be good for both emulation and pc gaming. It only came out to $450 but I didn't include a mouse, keyboard, or monitor. No use in buying those online since you can probably get cheap ones from a recycled pc and it's a waste for the shipping costs. As for a monitor, the cheapest 1080p used monitor is like $100 (the Optiplex wouldn't include a 1080p) so you may want to buy a used one or if you only care for Dolphin you might want to get a crt monitor as they have low lag and are pretty much free. So yeah, definitely go the pc building route.
Im not gonna get an optiplex i was just wondering thanks for helping me though i don't know what im doing yet but thanks for helping me with this issue!!

Y-L

Smash Champion
Im not gonna get an optiplex i was just wondering thanks for helping me though i don't know what im doing yet but thanks for helping me with this issue!!
Well I'm just trying to make the point that a 300 dollar pre-built will either be cheap and bad for emulation or old parts. Either way it will be crap.

Y-L

Smash Champion
im using pre built & i grt 60fps melee and i play a few pc games on the optiplex too.
Came with windows 7 too
I don't know exactly what specs you have, I'm just trying to make the point that when you build a pc you can always get more bang for the buck compared to buying a pre-built pc.

Y-L

Smash Champion
how much did you spend on yours? and what games do you play and specs?
Im looking in to building one
I spent about 800-900 on my build because I like high end pc gaming/emulation and I had a good job that let me afford it.

If you only care for Dolphin you can spend as little as 400. You can build a top level pc for 1.2k. You get what you pay for I say spend 400 for bottom tier, 500 for decent, 750 for a good build, 900 for top level.

Top Bottom