• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Netplay Community Build - 0.2.0 released!

Are you interested in a Melee Netplay Community Build?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 1,042 97.2%
  • No, I'm not

Votes: 30 2.8%

• Total voters

Saxon116

Smash Journeyman
Just tried the build this morning and everything looks great! @ Myougi Myougi could you send me the CSS file? Love what you guys did to the main menus too, they look really nice.

Charmilio

Smash Apprentice
how would 1 play this on console?
please look at the first page.

or like, four posts up.

also, just wanted to say I've finally installed it and this build is brilliant. I'll write down a list of stuff that crosses my mind and post it after I've had a few days to play around with it, but so far this has pretty much replaced vanilla melee for me.
<3

Last edited:

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.
please look at the first page.

or like, four posts up.

also, just wanted to say I've finally installed it and this build is brilliant. I'll write down a list of stuff that crosses my mind and post it after I've had a few days to play around with it, but so far this has pretty much replaced vanilla melee for me.
<3
Glad to hear you love the build.
I appreciate any and all feedback on it. :D

Last edited:

Spoon_Smash

Smash Rookie
I've got my melee ISO and the MNCB downloaded. I'm on the xdeltaUI application and it's asking for an output file. I read you said something of the "vanilla melee ISO" but I'm not sure what that means. I'm not a tech savvy guy(as you can see). I don't know what to do about the output file. With all you can to help me, I'd appreciate it. Thank you so much.

And also, since I'm going to put this on my Wii and play it through Nintendont, could I place netplay on my USB or on my SD card?

flieskiller

Smash Journeyman
I've got my melee ISO and the MNCB downloaded. I'm on the xdeltaUI application and it's asking for an output file. I read you said something of the "vanilla melee ISO" but I'm not sure what that means. I'm not a tech savvy guy(as you can see). I don't know what to do about the output file. With all you can to help me, I'd appreciate it. Thank you so much.

And also, since I'm going to put this on my Wii and play it through Nintendont, could I place netplay on my USB or on my SD card?
Vanilla Melee = unmodified iso, no changes in it.

USB or SD, You can use either you want. I personally use SD because it doesn't stick out behind the Wii and it's more simple to find (for me at least).

Charmilio

Smash Apprentice
Okay, so I'm just gonna list some stuff that comes to mind now that I've had a day or two to play around with the build. I'll label stuff red for things I know can't be changed to do the nature of melee modding currently, but I'd still like to posit, and blue for things that I think should be taken into consideration and theoretically /could/ be changed.

• I LOVE the custom music.
  • Runback code is brilliant, one of my favourite features from PM, super glad to see it ported in
  • Practice Mode - In Project M you can load up a match with one character by setting the match type to time and setting the time limit to infinity- this is great for doing solo movement practice. I'm aware of the name select glitch, but that has very tight timing and this could be streamlined a bit, would be nice to have if someone went AFK during a match and the other player wanted to keep their heat. This could already be implemented and I can't find it, but I figure it's worth mentioning.
  • LOVE LOVE LOVE CSS/SSS. Banning feature works great. Custom Icons are sweet as heck. Same with the new Main Menu.
  • Shield Colour - I like that you can have multiple characters of the same skin (seriously, 4 pink falcons at once is a sight to behold and great fun), and a feature that isn't really needed but is neat in 20XXTE is the custom shield colors. I know Dan's distancing himself from this project understandably because it's not his, but I'd love to see a little more collaboration and maybe get this feature ported in if it doesn't require .dol editing or anything serious that would ruin the functionality. Very tertiary.
  • A note about the CSS which I'm sure you've gotten- the music has soft audio blips which I can barely hear, but when I'm listening to a recorded match I can pick it up much stronger. Not a core problem, but something worth noting, since my friend could hear it too.
  • On that note, Optional Music Mute - I know I keep bringing it up but I netplay with Project M a lot, and a fantastic feature that Brawl had was being able to change the volume from all music to all SFX, almost completely muting the other. Being able to mute the music for recording/combo video purposes would be very nice, but I can understand that this would be a nightmare to implement. edit: see this clip for an example of what I mean, the melee netplay safe kill music cheat is pretty much exactly what I mean, notice how the game SFX come through super clean and one could listen to custom music. This is pretty much the only way I could ever get clips in melee worth saving.
I had some more stuff but I lost my other sheet of paper, I'm sure whatever it is I can just post it alone in the thread. All in all I love this build and think melee's needed something like this for a long, long time. I'll check back for updates every few days and if you ever need someone to do testing or something I'd love to offer any help. Keep up god's work, @ Myougi Myougi .

EDIT: ALSO L-CANCEL PERCENT AT THE END OF THE MATCH IS MAGICAL THANK YOU BASED @ Myougi Myougi

Last edited:

CasualNick

Smash Rookie
Okay, so I'm just gonna list some stuff that comes to mind now that I've had a day or two to play around with the build. I'll label stuff red for things I know can't be changed to do the nature of melee modding currently, but I'd still like to posit, and blue for things that I think should be taken into consideration and theoretically /could/ be changed.

• I LOVE the custom music.
  • Runback code is brilliant, one of my favourite features from PM, super glad to see it ported in
  • Practice Mode - In Project M you can load up a match with one character by setting the match type to time and setting the time limit to infinity- this is great for doing solo movement practice. I'm aware of the name select glitch, but that has very tight timing and this could be streamlined a bit, would be nice to have if someone went AFK during a match and the other play wanted to keep their heat. This could already be implemented and I can't find it, but I figure it's worth mentioning.
  • LOVE LOVE LOVE CSS/SSS. Banning feature works great. Custom Icons are sweet as heck. Same with the new Main Menu.
  • Shield Colour - I like that you can have multiple characters of the same skin (seriously, 4 pink falcons at once is a sight to behold and great fun), and a feature that isn't really needed but is neat in 20XXTE is the custom shield colors. I know Dan's distancing himself from this project understandably because it's not his, but I'd love to see a little more collaboration and maybe get this feature ported in if it doesn't require .dol editing or anything serious that would ruin the functionality. Very tertiary.
  • A note about the CSS which I'm sure you've gotten- the music has soft audio blips which I can barely hear, but when I'm listening to a recorded match I can pick it up much stronger. Not a core problem, but something worth noting, since my friend could hear it too.
  • On that note, Optional Music Mute - I know I keep bringing it up but I netplay with Project M a lot, and a fantastic feature that Brawl had was being able to change the volume from all music to all SFX, almost completely muting the other. Being able to mute the music for recording/combo video purposes would be very nice, but I can understand that this would be a nightmare to implement.
I had some more stuff but I lost my other sheet of paper, I'm sure whatever it is I can just post it alone in the thread. All in all I love this build and think melee's needed something like this for a long, long time. I'll check back for updates every few days and if you ever need someone to do testing or something I'd love to offer any help. Keep up god's work, @ Myougi Myougi .

EDIT: ALSO L-CANCEL PERCENT AT THE END OF THE MATCH IS MAGICAL THANK YOU BASED @ Myougi Myougi
The option to mute the music is already in vanilla melee.

Charmilio

Smash Apprentice
The option to mute the music is already in vanilla melee.
I'm aware, I just have yet to port the code over and test it for myself. I actually just edited my post before your reply to reflect that. I could test it myself but I figured it'd be a point worth mentioning.

CasualNick

Smash Rookie
I'm aware, I just have yet to port the code over and test it for myself. I actually just edited my post before your reply to reflect that. I could test it myself but I figured it'd be a point worth mentioning.
It's not a code, the option is literally in vanilla melee.

Fudgebucket21

Smash Rookie
For whatever reason, the left press c-stick whilst grounded doesn't work for me? It works for ariels though?? It works on all other isos I have too. I've been player one and two, my controller is seen as moving when looking at it in the screen in which you map the buttons. Thanks.

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.
For whatever reason, the left press c-stick whilst grounded doesn't work for me? It works for ariels though?? It works on all other isos I have too. I've been player one and two, my controller is seen as moving when looking at it in the screen in which you map the buttons. Thanks.
That sounds like a dolphin issue. Make sure you aren't holding any directions on your analog stick when you plug in your adapter, plug in your controller, and when you start up dolphin. Unplug everything/Close dolphin and start again. Your controller must've screwed up it's calibration somehow.

KingKanye

Smash Rookie
Is there any other mirrors for the download, the download from mediafire isn't working for me for some reason.

Garred

Smash Rookie
You thinking of working on characters in the future? costumes, buffs, etc.
If you do, it should just be low tiers that get changed. buff them to compete with the higher tiers. so we can have more character variety. sure thats probably what PM's for. but PM also nerfed the higher tiers in same ways. in an attempt to make everybody balanced. IMHO I think that is the reason why most Melee players frown on PM. they changed too much. Justin Wong said something in an interview that I agree with is that "there should never be nerfs to characters instead buff lower tiers that rival the stronger characters to make the game more fun."

example for an idea. Bowser - give him some kind of super armor mechanic. change his crappy neutral B for a projectile fire ball. have his OP ledge attack persist past 100%. or if you hate change just buff the already existing stuff to be better.

anyways loving this build. I disliked Melee's stage variety, and now there's more to choose from. and the jump to character select right off the bat! genius! :D

Last edited:

SnG | Skin

Smash Apprentice
You thinking of working on characters in the future? costumes, buffs, etc.
If you do, it should just be low tiers that get changed. buff them to compete with the higher tiers. so we can have more character variety. sure thats probably what PM's for. but PM also nerfed the higher tiers in same ways. in an attempt to make everybody balanced. IMHO I think that is the reason why most Melee players frown on PM. they changed too much. Justin Wong said something in an interview that I agree with is that "there should never be nerfs to characters instead buff lower tiers that rival the stronger characters to make the game more fun."

example for an idea. Bowser - give him some kind of super armor mechanic. change his crappy neutral B for a projectile fire ball. have his OP ledge attack persist past 100%. or if you hate change just buff the already existing stuff to be better.

anyways loving this build. I disliked Melee's stage variety, and now there's more to choose from. and the jump to character select right off the bat! genius! :D
I believe this is what you want my friend.
http://smashboards.com/threads/sd-remix-3-2-lite-released.324620/

nvilid

Smash Rookie
I love this netplay build, it's really fun. Is there any way I can move some of the changes from this mod to SD remix? Specifically the stages and l cancel flash. I know the latter can be done by code, but what about the former?

Mr. PotatoBread

Smash Cadet
I love this build but I feel like it would make more sense to keep rumble default to ON rather than OFF as Dolphin itself defaults rumble to OFF. Players who don't use rumble just keep rumble OFF on dolphin and so if the game defaults rumble to ON it doesn't make a difference to non-rumble using players.

With the build defaulting to OFF, players who use rumble have to turn it on every time they play, which can get kind of annoying :/

Chayce

Smash Cadet
NNID
C9-TANG
I love this build but I feel like it would make more sense to keep rumble default to ON rather than OFF as Dolphin itself defaults rumble to OFF. Players who don't use rumble just keep rumble OFF on dolphin and so if the game defaults rumble to ON it doesn't make a difference to non-rumble using players.

With the build defaulting to OFF, players who use rumble have to turn it on every time they play, which can get kind of annoying :/
Wouldn't it be equally annoying to those who don't use rumble as well? From what I see when I go to tournaments, the majority don't use rumble so I think Myougi was simply trying to appeal to the larger audience.

Mr. PotatoBread

Smash Cadet
Wouldn't it be equally annoying to those who don't use rumble as well? From what I see when I go to tournaments, the majority don't use rumble so I think Myougi was simply trying to appeal to the larger audience.
But you can set rumble to off on Dolphin itself, which would mean the controller won't rumble even if rumble is ON ingame.

Rumble players can't do that as turning rumble ON on dolphin would just mean that the normal rumble rules apply, meaning rumble has to be ON on both Dolphin and Melee for rumble to happen, whereas rumble only needs to be set to OFF on one or the other to remove rumble.

(I understand that I'm not the best writer. Please reply if you don't understand what I'm saying.)

Achilles1515

Smash Master
He's assuming the Netplay build's features are specifically designed for Netplay on Dolphin. At which point, his suggestion makes a lot of sense.

Top Bottom