• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MELEE-FC10R Videos - Melee, P:M, and more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
Sorry about keeping up on the thread and videos guys, I've got a ton of real life johns that are keeping me away from these things. I've still got roughly 10 hours of footage to encode, so there's still more coming from me. I'm moving across the country this week though, and sad to say that takes priority. They will be up, but I can't guarantee when :(

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
Sorry about keeping up on the thread and videos guys, I've got a ton of real life johns that are keeping me away from these things. I've still got roughly 10 hours of footage to encode, so there's still more coming from me. I'm moving across the country this week though, and sad to say that takes priority. They will be up, but I can't guarantee when :(
real life johns r for noobs

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
It's really too bad that Matdotzeb and G$'s matches didn't get recorded.. Watching Matdotzeb throw that ***** fit was priceless.
If you had felt how absolutely crushed and heartbroken I felt by letting my set with Kels slip out of my hands you'd have thrown it too. I'd never prepared for a set as much as I did for that one and I gave it away through the dumbest conscious decision I've made in Melee.
It was a good learning experience.

Also **** G$'s Marth.

PS. I threw the controller hard enough during my set with G$ to snap the motherboard.

strawhats

Smash Master
If you had felt how absolutely crushed and heartbroken I felt by letting my set with Kels slip out of my hands you'd have thrown it too. I'd never prepared for a set as much as I did for that one and I gave it away through the dumbest conscious decision I've made in Melee.
It was a good learning experience.

Also **** G$'s Marth.

PS. I threw the controller hard enough during my set with G$ to snap the motherboard.
Holy **** Matt...why u so mad?! just get em next time around.

AXE 09

Smash Master
So I'm re-creating this thread to make it look all nice and pretty lol. And putting all the vids in the OP

Should I just post here so he can edit the OP? Or should I just go ahead and create a new thread so more people can see? I'll make it look really good :)

darkatma

Smash Hero
Johns
Also John John John John

Remind me to never play you

I can't believe there are so many people in this community with poor sportsmanship and maturity

lol jk about the not playing you thing, but seriously, no need to chuck **** =[

The Star King

Smash Hero
lol people who get that mad over a video game deserve to be made fun of 100% of the time

and this coming from someone who was super rage-y as a kid

Battlecow

Play to Win
**** you dude

If you spend 4 hours a day on something like you do and DON'T take it seriously enough to get mad when you lose, you have a problem

That said maintaining poise is some classy **** and everyone should do it. Raging on the inside is the 2015 metagame.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
lol people who get that mad over a video game deserve to be made fun of 100% of the time

and this coming from someone who was super rage-y as a kid
I understand emotional disturbance and frustration--as it relates to smash especially--better than most people. So posts like this make me extremely sad.

There's more underneath it than "I WANT TO BE THE BEST AT VIDEOGAME! RAHRUIAYGOAUEIWGHFDJGFKLH." But people choose to ignore that in favor of a simpler overgeneralization, because I guess it just takes too much time to look at things from another perspective.

MDZ didn't even start johning or complaining. He directed all his frustration internally because of a desire to play better than he did. Compared to half the johning you see from people who act nice IRL then get online and start saying things like, "oh I outplayed him except for X but no johns lol frealz i'm better," I'd rather see a controller throw.

darkatma

Smash Hero
Controller chuckers defending controller chuckers here :p

I guess culturally, as an asian, throwing temper tantrums is looked down upon, along with any other violent outburst, so I'm unused to it.

I wouldn't go so far as to ridicule people who do it, but I certainly lose respect for them when it happens.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Controller chuckers defending controller chuckers here :p

I guess culturally, as an asian, throwing temper tantrums is looked down upon, along with any other violent outburst, so I'm unused to it.

I wouldn't go so far as to ridicule people who do it, but I certainly lose respect for them when it happens.
FWIW, I don't think it's a great or healthy thing to throw controllers. I'm just not going to attach some stigma to the action that means if you ever get angry and throw one, it means you're a 2 year old. And I'm going to defend MDZ because he didn't start ranting and raving about how he "deserved to win" and how he "should have won." His outburst was a result of a high level of emotional investment and self-inflicted pressure to win. Not because he thinks he should be the winner all the time.

You look at somebody throwing a controller and think, "what a baby, what a poor sport, how immature." That's where your attempt to understand his mindset stops. So I lose respect for you when you do that.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Throwing your controller is ****ing ********. I entirely understand and can empathise with the frustrations inherent to competitive video gaming, and can somewhat understand the internal conflicts and motivations which guide such actions.

None of this changes the fact that violent outbursts are for toddlers and morons. Learn some self control or **** off.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Throwing your controller is ****ing ********. I entirely understand and can empathise with the frustrations inherent to competitive video gaming, and can somewhat understand the internal conflicts and motivations which guide such actions.

None of this changes the fact that violent outbursts are for toddlers and morons. Learn some self control or **** off.
Hey look, somebody who doesn't understand and thinks he's cool by being ZERO TOLERANCE. Congratulations, you're not worth listening to.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
There are not enough straw men. We must construct more.

Please, continue to vicariously immunise yourself against rational criticism.
Tell me where my straw man lies.

"If you throw a controller, you're a toddler and a moron, period."

"That zero tolerance attitude is stupid and demonstrates a lack of actual understanding."

"Nice strawman! Vicariously! Wharlgharhblah!"

You didn't use rational criticism at all. You used negatively charged vocabulary to completely demean people who have ever thrown controllers. Saying, "I understand, BUT **** OFF," doesn't make it okay to say, "**** off." You're ignoring the wealth and myriad reasons that could lead to that behavior that AREN'T related to being a spoiled child or mentally lacking individual.

Rational and useful criticism would have been something more like:

"Hey, I understand that competition can be emotionally charged and the time investment can make you feel really ****ty when you make a big blunder at a critical moment. But it's important you understand that even these mistakes don't define you, and that you use them as learning experiences. And that you work on your mentality so even in the heat of the moment, you can calm yourself down without resorting to a physical outburst. I hope you learn from this because constantly outpouring your frustration in a violent manner is really unhealthy."

Of course, you aren't likely to post that. Because you aren't worth listening to.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
Throwing the controller is a very stupid act, but people are liable to do stupid things all the time, and I think in comparison throwing the controller at the ground in frustration is pretty forgivable. I mean, I doubt MDZ threw a tantrum or started screaming at the guy he lost to. Sometimes when the pressure and frustration is too much though, a guy gets angry and he needs to let out somehow.

Sadly, controllers are the perfect target for frustration vents. They're easy to throw, won't hit you back, and is right within reach of furious, sweaty, and shaking hands. I know it's a stupid thing to throw your controller and I'm sure a lot of other people know this too, but really, it's not something to drop all respect for someone over.

MDZ, you did something stupid, but that's okay, just don't do it again. See? Not hard.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Preaches tolerance and understanding for violent behaviour whilst playing video games.

Finds a brash tone over the internet inexcusable.
You weren't kidding when you said you had to construct more straw men.

I'm not preaching tolerance and understanding for the violent behavior. I'm preaching an understanding of the ROOTS of the violent behavior, in favor of helping the person who perpetrated it, to help them not to do it again, without automatically condemning them for being babies. I explicitly said that the behavior ISN'T OKAY, so I'm not sure how you confused that with "tolerating it." Maybe that's because you're a ****.

And it's not your "brash tone." It's your mindless condemnation COMBINED with a faux-hardass brash tone, that perpetuates ignorance of people's motivations and emotional struggles.

I love brash tones. I dislike *****. You're a **** using a brash tone.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
<3 Wobbles

Smash is a very emotionally charged game for me and lots of other players. When I fail to meet the goals I set for myself in specific situations I tend to become hard on myself, and part of that is a high level of internal anger towards myself that sometimes prompts an external reaction.

It's not as if every loss results in a controller throw. I have a self-defeating mentality that has been a large problem in my consistent improvement with this game.

Believe me when I say I'm working on it (And have been ever since I began to learn how to change and impact your mentality) -- defeatist mentalities are not easy to deal with when they take hold of you.

Wake

Smash Master
I couldn't care less if someone throws their controller for whatever reason. I personally have never gotten that angry in Smash before, and it isn't because I don't care, I just don't get angry like that very easily. I don't lose any respect for anyone who does though. Ultimately, it isn't my controller lol.

darkatma

Smash Hero
FWIW, I don't think it's a great or healthy thing to throw controllers. I'm just not going to attach some stigma to the action that means if you ever get angry and throw one, it means you're a 2 year old. And I'm going to defend MDZ because he didn't start ranting and raving about how he "deserved to win" and how he "should have won." His outburst was a result of a high level of emotional investment and self-inflicted pressure to win. Not because he thinks he should be the winner all the time.

You look at somebody throwing a controller and think, "what a baby, what a poor sport, how immature." That's where your attempt to understand his mindset stops. So I lose respect for you when you do that.
I appreciate your response immensely and thank you for giving me insight into some of the issues underlying the frustration. I feel like I should apologize for making blanket statements about controller throwers, and I realize that if I do end up playing MDZ or you, or my friend Julian Kao, you guys most likely wouldn't be chucking controllers anyways. While I care about the game a lot and understand people's drives to improve and to win (I have the same drive), I feel like the controller chucking would be more justified (in my eyes) if the controller had been malfunctioning during the match. To me, throwing it is more of a projection of emotion, similar to taking it out on your dog on a bad day. I realize the analogy is garbage, since controllers aren't animate, but y'know, good controllers are hard to come by.

I'll definintely keep your post in mind and think more along the lines of "he's disappointed", but I think we can all agree something should/can be done about people blowing up after matches, no matter how invested in the game they are.

I guess I'll post this response in your Melee Discussion thread as well. Great post by the way, challenging people to see the other side is definitely important.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Your controller is your soul, just like a sword you use. Take care of it. =(

Edit: Axe, you are awesome!!! You've put sets I haven't even watched yet! So gooood!! 36 mins P:M Doubles GF, i don't think I've played a set that long before.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Your controller is your soul, just like a sword you use. Take care of it. =(

Edit: Axe, you are awesome!!! You've put sets I haven't even watched yet! So gooood!! 36 mins P:M Doubles GF, i don't think I've played a set that long before.
:D

I dug deep for videos lol. I searched every channel that I knew had FC vids and put them all up =P

So many videos o.O

AXE 09

Smash Master
^I recall people earlier in this thread saying that they still need to upload vids =/ I hope they get around to it. I think someone has me vs Mojo that I still wanna see lol.

Jackie

Smash Journeyman
You often get mad about losing if your character didn't do what you told it to do. Maybe your character would be more cooperative if you had a controller that wasn't thrown around so often.

JK

kinda

Some people play better because they remain stoic and keep a consistent mindset. Others have to find their temporary groove so they have their moments of genius, so they get those cluster**** rage moments in addition to their adrenaline-pumped moments that give them that edge. To each their own, I suppose.

Whatever happened to Taj's rage controller? The one controller everyone got to throw when they lost. I felt that was a funny, nondestructive way to vent out one's frustration.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I would respond to Wobbles/Battlecow but I already posted about this in Wobbles's thread about rage

good to see I spawned a thread/rant though :awesome:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom