• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Counter-Pick: Kongo Jungle 64

(Samn)

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3153-5057-8213
I strongly believe that this stage should be legal as a counter-pick stage in Super Smash Bros. Melee. The stage has a good shape and pretty well placed platforms. The stage also has some nice blast zones that are not too high and not too far out. The main problem that people have with the stage is the Barrel and the Main Floor. Which at first sight are pretty good reason, but here are my reasons why I think that they aren't bad.

Problem #1) The Barrel: The Barrel is a moving object that is at the bottom of the stage swaying back and forth. If a player fall into the barrel and press the A or B the player will get shot out of the barrel in the direction of the arrow. People don't like this because it could interrupt the match and help people recover, which in my opinion is better because it lets people take advantage of the stage, and in a way its like Randal it could help recovery or it could get you killed. My main problem with it is if someone falls in they could stall the match.

Problem #2) The Main Floor: The main floor is like a platform that you can't fall through but you can jump through. Which is totally understandable why people don't like it but after thinking the worst part about the Main Floor is that it has battlefield like edges that it may look like you grabbed it but you didn't. The floor also helps with recovery, but it would also look pretty cool if you spiked someone through the floor.

Please Tell me your thoughts and opinions
Thanks for Reading

Attachments

Last edited:

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
It wasn't a legal cp at shine for some reason, my teammate and I cp'd to it and our opponents called Mattdotzeb over. He said no, but we all agreed to go there anyway. It was the best doubles set I ever played. We got rekt, but it was worth it.

TL;DR: F*CK MDZ!!!!!!!!!!!

(Samn)

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3153-5057-8213
I think it should be for Singles as well

Delta Chae

The Observer
I'm pretty sure this used to be a thing when stage lists were much more liberal with regards to what flies and what doesn't. There's a reason why that's no longer the case.

First of all: the platform placement is not good. In fact it's absolutely horrendous. Their distance from the main stage promotes platform camping and gives a disproportionate advantage to floaties as you can see in the video linked by Stride. Now platform camping certainly exists on other stages that aren't FD, in fact platform camping is a very powerful strategy against Ice Climbers. However the fact that they are located what basically amounts to greater than or equal to a full hop + air jump distance away for many characters is why platform camping is so disproportionately powerful on this stage especially when one jumps from one top platform to the next.

With the barrel: you disproved your own point by bringing up that people can easily use it to stall out the match. While stalling tactics are nothing new in the Smash series: most stalling tactics that you commonly see in competitive player such as ledge stalling or just running away constantly have very simple counterplay. With the barrel: not so much due to how far it's located below the stage. Though you can't use it to stall indefinitely it's probably best not to bring something into the mix that will make stalling more powerful.

The main floor is another reason why the stage is not legal. What you see as a plus, most of the scene sees as a negative. It marginalizes edgeguarding to a certain extent and only serves to make recovering to the ledge (Which is usually the safest option and the one you want to go for if you know your opponent can't or won't edgehog you) unnecessarily difficult.

(Samn)

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3153-5057-8213
That is all true, I still do like the platforms though being different

Top Bottom