• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melbourne tournaments: Saturday, Sunday, or indifferent?

Which day(s) are you able to attend tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
A few people have approached me about this, asking which day of the weekend works better for Melbourne smashers. It's in my best interests to maximise attendance, so please help by completing this poll. I'm polling this question by request -- remember, only legitimate votes count!

TakFR

Smash Lord
NNID
TakAE86
A few of the new people have said they are only able to go Sundays. Just out of curiosity, what happens to the merge with couchwarriors if this changes to Sunday?

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
sunday means i dont have to skip work, and money is nice. it also means we get our bendigo boys back :)

C~Dog

Smash Champion
I'm more or less indifferent, as I can attend either day, so which ever is best for everyone else is fine with me C:

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Tak, if we have a strong case to move CouchWarriors to Sunday, I'm going to need some evidence. In any case, no matter what we do, the relationship we have with CouchWarriors will not be compromised.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
sunday saver isn't much help when there are no trains til monday

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Well with my university schedule being busy on Fridays (who knows about next semester though) and generally working on Saturday mornings, and Tiger not having flights into Melbourne until Saturday afternoon (which are generally at cheap levels), tournaments on Sunday would mean I'd probably be able to come to things more often.

Nova

Banned via Warnings
What Shaya said minus the Uni part.

Although obviously the local scene is all that counts. I'm not voting, but if I could it'd be Sunday.

Nixernator

Smash Ace
Well if we could have sunday in winter and saturday in summer that'd be nice. Or maybe two tournies a month and one on each day. Since I usually only have one or the other day free. I'd like to play some smash Lol. If not it doesn't matter I just won't be able to attend every tourny I never have the same day free the whole year.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
The [hopeful] solution would be to have tournaments on alternate months on alternate days.

probably couldn't commit to going oos every month; but once every two? yeah that's more feasible.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
i voted for sunday

im the most important person here, a king among men, should be sunday now for sure

Splice

Smash Hero
I am confused.

I would vote for Sunday, because on Sunday i can at least attend Doubles (JUST doubles)

But Afropony cannot attend on Saturday, and he is my doubles partner.

Ugh.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
25 votes so far, we need more votes though! I'll be satisfied if we hit somewhere around the 40-mark, which reflects the general combined turnout of both games.

Splice

Smash Hero
There is a chance that i may be able to move work from Sunday to a week day.
So Sunday is the only day i could ever attend.

On Saturday I have band rehearsal anyway so why bother getting rid of work the days already half gone.

I vote Sunday.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Whoops, I don't know why I decided to vote. Should have read the OP :urg:

But really, whatever days fine for me, when I decide to come to these.

kupo

Smash Lord
May possibly not be able to make Sundays. But things can change at any given time.

Majority over minority anyways :p.

Voted Saturday anyways (although I'm more leaning to the Sunday date).

...Bah f*** it.

Aggromidget

Smash Apprentice
well, we finally have 40 votes, so are we going to be changing the day then?

Dekar289

Smash Hero
**** 2 tourneys a month, let's just have 1 a month on sundays, separate from couchwarriors

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
well, we finally have 40 votes, so are we going to be changing the day then?
Couchwarriors is open to switching days (it has done so over previous seasons; 2009/2010 Saturdays, 2007/2008 Sundays), but it isn't until next season can we pick and choose dates; the dates that we have locked in for the rest of the year are better to be followed, or else we risk venue security. The CW seasons have alternated the days over the years to suit us -- in fact, back when we have Smash on Sundays (the year Brawl first came out), people complained and wanted a shift to Saturday because players with school left John Curtin too early to finish the tournament and created holes in brackets + lots of default victories.

If you want this more in context:

loki said:
There is almost no flexibility at all within the calendar. I checked every single weekend of the year earlier this year to try and improve our bookings, and it was almost impossible to move any of them then, it wouldn't even be worth asking at this late a date.
zan said:
That's strange, I thought the overwhelming consensus was that Sunday was no good because people couldn't stay out on a Sunday night.

Sounds like it's not viable, but if it was we'd need to poll the other communities about this too.
loki said:
Yeah that was always my impression too, I remember when we used to run on Sundays there was the complaint that it should be on Saturdays. And the Smash guys always bailed out early because there was school the next day. but I still suspect many would be leaving early, despite their preference.

Anyway, the reality is that it's not possible, so unfortunately regardless of the preference, the bookings kinda have to stay.
My personal viewpoint: People will complain regardless of either say CW tournaments are scheduled on. DC2 ran on both days; not only did running on Sunday demonstrate how difficult it is to book without advanced planning (4pm-10pm schedule), turnouts essentially mirrored that of Saturday's attendance. Current tournament sizes are a better indication of the size of the community; not which day of the weekend the tournament is on. But in any case, day selections will be reviewed once our locked dates are cleared.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Actually, we're discussing alternating Saturday and Sunday every month next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom