• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Megaman Matchup

Kaito212

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hiroyuki212
3DS FC
2724-1707-5258
How do you play the megaman matchup, I find his pellets and blade thing really annoying to get around when playing Ryu because it beats focus attack. Also how do you do jab cancel to true shoryu?

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
How do you play the megaman matchup, I find his pellets and blade thing really annoying to get around when playing Ryu because it beats focus attack. Also how do you do jab cancel to true shoryu?
Focus Attack is almost useless in that matchup. Use it as a grounded bait and don't hop around like you're Sheik and you'll be fine. Focus on powershielding his projectiles. It takes some getting used to but once you do that it is pretty easy to get in.

In order to consistently Jab 1 -> TSRK kill confirm, you need to 'cancel' the Jab Combo by pressing B after the TSRK input instead of A. Pressing A sometimes continues the Jab Combo and it is extremely annoying.

Kaito212

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hiroyuki212
3DS FC
2724-1707-5258
Focus Attack is almost useless in that matchup. Use it as a grounded bait and don't hop around like you're Sheik and you'll be fine. Focus on powershielding his projectiles. It takes some getting used to but once you do that it is pretty easy to get in.

In order to consistently Jab 1 -> TSRK kill confirm, you need to 'cancel' the Jab Combo by pressing B after the TSRK input instead of A. Pressing A sometimes continues the Jab Combo and it is extremely annoying.
Thanks for the advice! I have a crew battle coming and there's 2 megamans so I will definitely implement that.

Neutricity

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the advice! I have a crew battle coming and there's 2 megamans so I will definitely implement that.
I play ScAtt who is possibly the best Mega Man with my Ryu. That match up is really really really trash, but if the Mega Man runs in or approaches with Pellets and whiffs then you have to destroy him with a punish

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Mega Main here. The Ryu match up is very similar to the Luigi match up. If Ryu can get in, he can do some pretty heavy duty damage on us. If Ryu can't get in, we have the match up. Since Ryu is like Luigi in the fact that he needs to be up close to do any significant damage, Megs has to zone them with lemons and Metal Blades. Also, Focus Punch IS useless in this match up since many of Mega Man's moves are multi-hit and should only be used to recover or play mind games with us.
We have the match up, but I can't deny that Ryu CAN do some damage on us when he gets in.

ravemaster47

Smash Ace
NNID
ravemaster47
I say the matchup is about 50/50, megaman can toy with ryu all day, but netting the kill will be tough. Ryu can get an easy amount of damage on megaman into a TSRK easily, but has issues with approaches. It's a patience game.

Megamang

Smash Lord
I definitely believe Megaman has this MU. So many ways to break FA, including our best kill options (bair and usmash). Good throws and leaf shield tactics to get Ryu out when he gets in... and he shouldn't get in much. A megaman with a good pellet game is horrific for Ryu. Mixing up pellets, downward metal blades, and the buster hitbox... I don't think its plausible to powershield all of that. Megaman is super mobile while he shoots those pellets. And spring or FH/DJ airdodge climbs vertically and horizontally so fast I don't see Ryu getting good traps on mega unless he makes a bad mistake.

For more input I'd like to ask Emblem Lord Emblem Lord his opinion, I remember seeing his post on the MM matchup in the old CCI thread a while back.

For evidence I'd like to point out 9B's problems with Megaman players who are otherwise less successful and well known as he is.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Ryu doesnt have any match worse then 4/6. If you are the stronger player you will win. His amazing kill confirms make this possible. But MM def has the tools to make this match his favor. Ryu is not without answers tho.

I will post more later.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Yes, the Ryu matchup is balanced by the fact that he is easier to keep out than most characters at his level, but he hits harder when he gets in.

Worth mentioning is we dont have a great combo breaking nair, so nair -> dair shenanigans hurt. Especially since we dont have a hitbox on our recovery, be ready to dair again immediately.

WD40

Smash Apprentice
NNID
adamwd
Why? The matchup isn't impossible.
I agree, Ryu doesn't have any terrible matchups. Its just that Cloud is so good against campy, zoning characters which happen to be the type of characters Ryu struggles most against.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Cloud isn't particularly scary for megaman, as long as he is willing to not be dumb and approach recklessly when limit is charging. He can apply pressure safely, and should try and sneak some damage in, the onus is still on Cloud to approach. With a lackluster ground game, this isn't easy. Im not gonna go into this MU here, but don't think if your main Ryu can't beat megaman that a pocket Cloud is some secret counterpick. You need a good cloud to pull it off it he knows the MU.

TheGlove

Smash Cadet
I dont think Mega Vs cloud has played out enough at high level for him to be a go to counter pick unless you play both cloud and ryu already. Most common Matchups I've heard are hard for mega are Fox, Sheik, and Mario. If you are specifically trying to counterpick Megaman, those may be better options.

Xavix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xavix5
We actually just relaunched the matchup thread over on the megaman boards and Ryu was the first matchup chosen! Any and all input would be appreciated, you can find the thread here.

Gimmick

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure the Capcom character wins this match up, but that's just my opinion.

Top Bottom