• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mega Upper

Chickenmcdonky

Smash Cadet
I want to be completely precise with this move so I can sweet spot it at a moment's notice. I'm having trouble landing it on some smaller lightweights though. Big guys like Captain Falcon and DK aren't too hard but the little guys are hard to predict properly and they don't leave very big openings. Where exactly is the sweet spot for this move? Is it closer to Megaman's waist or his face?

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
The sweet spot is pretty low. Using your words, it's closer to his waist. More like his feet.

uncaDon

Smash Cadet
The sweetspot seems to be somewhere near megaman's shoulder or chest to me. The fist while it's still rising, before it's extended.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
The sweetspot seems to be about half a character away and around his chest, though I've had some really odd instances where it sweetspotted BEHIND Mega Man.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Spent awhile testing it out and referencing the frame data. It's a weird sweetspot, looks to be a bit below and in front of his fist on this specific frame:

After that the hitbox grows by x2.6 and becomes the 12% hit.

EDIT: The sweetspot's probably bigger than that actually, but that's the general spot you want to aim for.

Last edited:

Ohio86

Smash Cadet
The best way I've found to use this move is to wait for an advancing attack- shield, and then uppercut in retaliation. Almost always guaranteed.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
The sweetspot is definitely low to the ground. I've never caught somebody with it when they were rising from a jump, only falling, or when they're grounded. Have you tried metal blade as you advance on your target? I like to shorthop, and tossing my metal blade diagonally to the ground in front of me before I land next to them. It's pretty precise to pull off, but worth practicing. Unfortunately, lightweight and small characters that have enough damage for the sweetspot to kill will usually get knocked too far for this followup.

You can also trick a free sweetspot using leaf shield. Engage it, roll past your opponent during its very last frames so they flinch from damage. And if the shield disappears by the time you have control, you can Mega Upper.

DCavalier

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cavalierredeyes
Switch FC
SW 5638 2481 3507
You should also take into account the initial invincible frames of Mega Upper.

This way you can punish a enemy attack if you use the Mega Upper right before the enemy attack connects.

Like a counter

MegaBlaster1234

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Srib64
I've come to realize that the non-sweetspot that deals 12% as you rise has mad priority. Like, really good priority. I've been able to beat Bowser and Yoshi's down B clean, and Zamus, Sonic and Mr. Game & Watch's down airs. I think up tilt is better than Up Smash for punishing moves like this, though the timing is harder and the hitbox doesn't linger like Up Smash.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
It's awesome when you get precise timing with it. You can shoryuken people coming in for a gab.
Tell me about it. I fought a good Falcon and we were both at high percents, last stock. I expected him to run at me and go for a dash grab, so I Uppered. Sure enough, I was right and he was seein' stars. :D

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Definitely feels good to Utilt people trying to dash grab you in this game.

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
The Mega Upper is probably the most satisfying move in the game for me. I'm a mvc refugee who just happens to love Smash on a casual level. I walk up to people and expect them to Smash Attack me or Whiff a grab then spot dodge and BAM! ****ing Critical Hit.

Last edited:

ninjaraiii

Smash Rookie
I was using the mega upper and I air dodged before I landed back on the ground. I teched out of the end lag, I just don't know how...we should try and figure this out

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Agreed. If this is a thing then we must figure it out.

MegaBlaster1234

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Srib64
I was using the mega upper and I air dodged before I landed back on the ground. I teched out of the end lag, I just don't know how...we should try and figure this out
Is there any way you could replicate that and film it?

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I don't use this move much, but after hearing this I think I'm gonna try and implement it in my game more.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
I don't believe Mega Man is in any special state during up tilt. It just happens to be the only up tilt in the game that places the character in the air. However, the move lasts for just enough frames that Mega Man should not be capable of any other actions before landing on the ground. Players may have noticed you can go into a fall by up tilting on the end of a platform or ledge. Since you are airborne, an air dodge is possible once the frames of the move end, but that's all I can think of.

In addition, when performing this at the ledge, Mega Man will grab the ledge automatically. If you held down, you can make him not grab it and instead air dodge or do anything else.

My final wild theory was that this happened when you were fighting Game and Watch, and you whiffed an up tilt. While you were in the attack's animation, G&W used his Dtilt, which creates a wind box above the hitbox, causing you to remain airborne long enough for Mega Upper to end.

ninjaraiii

Smash Rookie
I don't believe Mega Man is in any special state during up tilt. It just happens to be the only up tilt in the game that places the character in the air. However, the move lasts for just enough frames that Mega Man should not be capable of any other actions before landing on the ground. Players may have noticed you can go into a fall by up tilting on the end of a platform or ledge. Since you are airborne, an air dodge is possible once the frames of the move end, but that's all I can think of.

In addition, when performing this at the ledge, Mega Man will grab the ledge automatically. If you held down, you can make him not grab it and instead air dodge or do anything else.

My final wild theory was that this happened when you were fighting Game and Watch, and you whiffed an up tilt. While you were in the attack's animation, G&W used his Dtilt, which creates a wind box above the hitbox, causing you to remain airborne long enough for Mega Upper to end.
Ahh, the game and watch theory is it...I was going against him that match. Dang, and here I thought I found an amazing discovery.

MegaBlaster1234

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Srib64
Ahh, the game and watch theory is it...I was going against him that match. Dang, and here I thought I found an amazing discovery.
You know, I was really hoping it was some sort of cool trick to help MegaMan avoid getting punished. It stinks it's only vs Game & Watch.
Anyways, I was trying to replicate it for quite a while now, and when I was messing around on a custom stage I had built, I noticed that if I Mega Uppered and landed on one of the moving platforms going upwards that you can place in Stage Builder, MegaMan lands with no landing lag, but if he lands where he started the Upper he suffers lag.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
That time when I was actually trying to do his up smash but instead ended up using his up tilt and K.O. someone with it is the most satisfying thing ever.

Top Bottom